Guest guest36187

The Brand New PIO Parents Visa thread

13,782 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi SusieRoo     That's really weird. We have had an account with Westpac for five years and have lived in North Wales the whole time! We have transferred money throughout that period and have used the account throughout three separate holidays over there. We initially opened the account by sending an email and somebody from the bank rang me. I explained carefully that (at that time) we had no possibility of living in Australia for the foreseeable future and we would be wanting the account for holidays and convenience of sending money over to family. They couldn't have been more helpful and we activated the account at the Westpac branch in London. I wonder if the rules have changed since we opened ours ...

That sound perfect, I wonder if the rules have been tightened. Also when on the phone, I asked Westpac about a branch in London, and was told they only had corporate offices there. But when you look on the internet it is saying they have a retail branch on Camomile St. I'm always a bit dubious about any information from big business call centres.

My son is over from Australia on a three-day visit next month (don’t ask) and we are in London then, so I will see if we can walk-in and open an account.

How is the house sale and packing going? I had to giggle at your posts about storing the daughter’s things. We had a room full of son’s stuff for seven years, then on a visit home I asked him to see if he still needed to keep anything. He came out with one small carrier bag!

2 people like this

Moneycorp
Moneycorp
Just now, SusieRoo said:

That sound perfect, I wonder if the rules have been tightened. Also when on the phone, I asked Westpac about a branch in London, and was told they only had corporate offices there. But when you look on the internet it is saying they have a retail branch on Camomile St. I'm always a bit dubious about any information from big business call centres.

My son is over from Australia on a three-day visit next month (don’t ask) and we are in London then, so I will see if we can walk-in and open an account.

How is the house sale and packing going? I had to giggle at your posts about storing the daughter’s things. We had a room full of son’s stuff for seven years, then on a visit home I asked him to see if he still needed to keep anything. He came out with one small carrier bag!

I have asked my daughter who worked for Westpac - you can open account when you go for a visit to Oz before yr visa granted 

when she gets back later tonight will see if they know re London. As they both are financial advisors for them you'd think they would. Lol 

14 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I have asked my daughter who worked for Westpac - you can open account when you go for a visit to Oz before yr visa granted 

when she gets back later tonight will see if they know re London. As they both are financial advisors for them you'd think they would. Lol 

Thanks Kathss56. It would be useful to get an account sorted now and have one less thing to do later. Hope you are enjoying having your daughter home.

Just now, SusieRoo said:

Thanks Kathss56. It would be useful to get an account sorted now and have one less thing to do later. Hope you are enjoying having your daughter home.

Yes thank you although they have done Germany and Iceland so not seen them much. 5 days together now! 😄

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

There is definitely a branch of Westpac in London.  We went there and opened our account in late 2015 when we thought that we would be in Oz within the year.  However we are still here but there has been no comeback on the account.  We took in passports and various other items of ID which they required and it was really easy and they were very helpful.  Hope you get it sorted one way or another.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pertenhall said:

There is definitely a branch of Westpac in London.  We went there and opened our account in late 2015 when we thought that we would be in Oz within the year.  However we are still here but there has been no comeback on the account.  We took in passports and various other items of ID which they required and it was really easy and they were very helpful.  Hope you get it sorted one way or another.

Yes there definitely is. We were in London in January 2016 and walked in without prior arrangement and asked to see someone about our account (we wanted info about paying the second vac while in Australia the following month. Saw someone within ten minutes and got sorted. Also offered currency exchange and gave us contact details for the London branch. I don't trust those big call centres either, since someone told me on one occasion years ago that Sheffield railway station closed at 5p.m.... causing me to book a totally unnecessary hotel ...     the bank is on the ground floor of a building in ... I think it's Cayenne street but it's certainly the name of a spice.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

We have finally signed the contracts and are waiting for the deposit to be paid so we can (hopefully) exchange contracts on Monday. Can't believe it seems to be actually happening. All sorts of old friends visiting, which is sad. My sister is trying to take over and organise me ... some things never change :-) 

5 people like this