Guest guest36187

3 hours ago, AMP said:

Ps, I went to a uk website called  worldwidemoving.  Just filled in all my details then had quotes and contact from 5 companies, really easy.  All offered to do free, no obligation home visits to fully assess the volume, but I just got initial quotes for the 500 cubic feet as that enabled me to more readily do a comparison. 

Brilliant, thanks!

Actually I feel the same way ... we are dithering because we were going to take just a few things and then began with the "oh, but I want to keep this" ...   We paid more than that when we moved back from Brussels eight years ago ... but then we weren't paying the bill that time so it didn't seem so painful :)

Thanks for the worldwidemoving recommendation ... I've just been on and sent off my details so hopefully we'll have a reply soon. Watch this space!

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Brilliant, thanks!

You are very welcome - I will be interested to hear how you get on and what you eventually decide to do.

In the meantime I am having a dither about the "will they or won't they ship" issue, given that I will only be on a 600 visa.  I've sent an email to all the companies who quoted, posing the question.  Watch this space!

• Like 2

Has anyone got a return from a test email to IMMI recently?

I wonder if they have now stopped sending these, with the new financial year and the new Global Processing web page (which is due to be updated this week).

I’ve been looking at the ‘pipeline’ data from IMMI’s yearend reports and trying to workout how quickly (or not) processing may progress this year. And I estimate we will see 1 months worth of applications being processed every 1.75 months. From this I have calculated the estimated grant dates for 2015 and 2016 lodgements.

Please note this is only a guide and there are a lot of ‘ifs, buts and maybes’ and if we see processing moving faster than 1:1.75 these times will improve (and vice versa).

596b8a6e6cf39_ScreenShot2017-07-16at16_01_54.png.64053ce95286429e2dd588c5da045cbc.png

• Like 2

Hi SusieRoo, yes I had a reply to my test email to Immi today,  saying that for 143s and 173s  they are currently assessing up to 13th October 2014.  Sorry, I didn't look at other data but can copy and paste the full reply if others would like this.  I'm ignoring your chart - sorry, just too depressing. 

• Like 1

On 15/07/2017 at 13:08, MaggieMay24 said:

Are you saying her tourist visa has already expired?  Or do you mean Jan. 2018?  I assume you mean 2018 (otherwise she's overstayed and that would cause significant problems).

She can submit a 143 application while she's in Australia but it's still considered an off-shore visa so she would not get a bridging visa.  So she'll need to leave when her tourist visa expires and would need to apply for a new one (or another type of visa) that would let her return to Australia if she wants to spend more time here while her 143 is processed.

The processing times of 12-24 are outdated, these visas are taking 3 years at the moment and the processing times are getting longer since there are more applications going in than spaces available in the annual program.

sorry it was a typo, her tourist visa expired in May 2018. 

I've already engaged with a migration lawyer last week, yeah she advised 39 mth of waiting period, which is bit disappointing when you're paying so much for the application fees and still such a long waiting period.

do you think this will actually change? quicker processing time.

3 hours ago, gwheng said:

I've already engaged with a migration lawyer last week, yeah she advised 39 mth of waiting period, which is bit disappointing when you're paying so much for the application fees and still such a long waiting period.

Not unless they raise the quota.  I don't know the actual numbers, but for example if the quota is 1500 and they receive 2000 applications each year, the queue will naturally grow longer and applications will take more time to be finalised.

1 hour ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Not unless they raise the quota.  I don't know the actual numbers, but for example if the quota is 1500 and they receive 2000 applications each year, the queue will naturally grow longer and applications will take more time to be finalised.

shouldn't the gov increase the quota since it is one of their source income. 

2 hours ago, gwheng said:

shouldn't the gov increase the quota since it is one of their source income. 

Unfortunately it isn't a source of income, rather expense.  The study which informed the introduction of the new temporary parent visa (which is being implemented in November)  advised that on average parent visa holders cost Australia much more than they recoup from visa charges.  We are considered to be a liability, particularly  since we are mostly in the "older" demographic bracket.  Very unlikely that they will therefore increase the quota. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gwheng said:

Hi, I don't know how old your Mum is but there is a Aged Parent Contributory Visa as well, shorter waiting time and she can be in Australia while awaiting the visa. Although if she qualified your agent would have told you about it, you have to be 65 years old. Maybe this helps!

15 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Has anyone got a return from a test email to IMMI recently?

I wonder if they have now stopped sending these, with the new financial year and the new Global Processing web page (which is due to be updated this week).

I’ve been looking at the ‘pipeline’ data from IMMI’s yearend reports and trying to workout how quickly (or not) processing may progress this year. And I estimate we will see 1 months worth of applications being processed every 1.75 months. From this I have calculated the estimated grant dates for 2015 and 2016 lodgements.

Please note this is only a guide and there are a lot of ‘ifs, buts and maybes’ and if we see processing moving faster than 1:1.75 these times will improve (and vice versa).

596b8a6e6cf39_ScreenShot2017-07-16at16_01_54.png.64053ce95286429e2dd588c5da045cbc.png

Wow you have been busy Suzyroo, I have resigned myself to it being three years just hope not much longer!  Our packers arrive today! just wish it could be shipped and we had our visa, it is all going into store, anothet expense!  We are off on Sunday on our 600 visa to await grandchild number two. ?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Wow you have been busy Suzyroo, I have resigned myself to it being three years just hope not much longer!  Our packers arrive today! just wish it could be shipped and we had our visa, it is all going into store, anothet expense!  We are off on Sunday on our 600 visa to await grandchild number two. ?

Very exciting to be off on Sunday and I hope my little chart is proved to be wrong. We are resigned to 4 years now, which in some ways makes everything more manageable. Like we have some control of our lives again. We also hope to be following you on a 600 for the last 6 months of our wait.

Is there a way to ship your stuff by saying it belongs to your daughter (I’m sure you have already though of that). Anyway best wishes for everything and have a wonderful new life.

Please keep popping back here when you have time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMP said:

Unfortunately it isn't a source of income, rather expense.  The study which informed the introduction of the new temporary parent visa (which is being implemented in November)  advised that on average parent visa holders cost Australia much more than they recoup from visa charges.  We are considered to be a liability, particularly  since we are mostly in the "older" demographic bracket.  Very unlikely that they will therefore increase the quota. 

Yes, I agree.

That's why I advise those thinking of applying for a Contributory Parent visa to do it now.

Then fill the waiting time with the anticipated temporary parent visa when it becomes available later this year.

Best regards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Yes, I agree.

That's why I advise those thinking of applying for a Contributory Parent visa to do it now.

Then fill the waiting time with the anticipated temporary parent visa when it becomes available later this year.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Could you clarify a couple of things for me please re temporary visas. As I understand it: 

As a temporary resident you have to apply for government permission, at a fee of approximately $5,000, to buy a property in Australia unless you are buying a new property from a developer who has pre-approval to sell to a foreigner.

By law if you sell a property worth over $750,000 and you are not a permanent resident then it is liable for a tax of 12.5% of the purchase price to be paid by the vendor by means of the seller withholding the required amount and forwarding it to the tax office. Permanent residents avoid this by obtaining a certificate either prior to or after settlement. Given the scenario of buying a property as a temporary resident, being then granted a permanent residency and then at a later date selling the property. Would we be able to obtain the relevant certificate and so avoid being liable to this withholding tax?

So many things to take into account.

Many thanks

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wishfull said:

Hi Alan

Could you clarify a couple of things for me please re temporary visas. As I understand it: 

As a temporary resident you have to apply for government permission, at a fee of approximately $5,000, to buy a property in Australia unless you are buying a new property from a developer who has pre-approval to sell to a foreigner.

By law if you sell a property worth over $750,000 and you are not a permanent resident then it is liable for a tax of 12.5% of the purchase price to be paid by the vendor by means of the seller withholding the required amount and forwarding it to the tax office. Permanent residents avoid this by obtaining a certificate either prior to or after settlement. Given the scenario of buying a property as a temporary resident, being then granted a permanent residency and then at a later date selling the property. Would we be able to obtain the relevant certificate and so avoid being liable to this withholding tax?

So many things to take into account.

Many thanks

Good questions!  

I think the clearance certificate must be delivered to the purchaser before settlement - otherwise the purchaser will withhold 12.5% when the property settles, and will remit the same to the ATO.  

This is a relatively new area, but for reference:

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capital-gains-tax/In-detail/Calculating-a-capital-gain-or-loss/Capital-gains-withholding---a-guide-for-conveyancers/

Also to watch: the removal of the CGT main residence exemption when a property in Australia is sold when it has been owned for a period of time as a temporary or foreign resident.   I believe the legislation in this regard has yet to pass the Parliament.

The FIRB fee is now a minimum of A$5,500: http://firb.gov.au/resources/guidance/gn29/

Best regards.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Yes, I agree.

Best regards.

Do we know for sure, if we can apply for a new type visa and a CPV at the same time? Or do you not think it may be one or the other? From what I have read, these visas are not a gateway to PR.

Also I understand the application process is in two stages, with the child needing to get approval as a sponsor first, before the parent can make the formal application. So I wonder if part one is something that can be prearranged now to save time later. As I would expect there will be high demand for the first 15,000 places.  

Is the non contributory 804 aged parent visa still open and can anyone tell me what the disadvantages are. I know you do not get a visa for approx 30 years but by that time most of us wouldnt be here. You can still live in Australia but need a visa to travel abroad which i believe is fairly easy to get. You can get a medicare card after a year and apply for a seniors card which gives discounts on public travel etc.it is much cheaper than the 864.

5 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Very exciting to be off on Sunday and I hope my little chart is proved to be wrong. We are resigned to 4 years now, which in some ways makes everything more manageable. Like we have some control of our lives again. We also hope to be following you on a 600 for the last 6 months of our wait.

Is there a way to ship your stuff by saying it belongs to your daughter (I’m sure you have already though of that). Anyway best wishes for everything and have a wonderful new life.

Please keep popping back here when you have time.

Hi SusieRoo, thank you for your good wishes - things are being packed up at breakneck speed here and I have had to make a small room a safe room for our luggage, documents etc. As regards sending things to your daughter we did send some boxes to our daughter (smaller than tea chest size) as we still had in store in our loft here items belonging to both our daughters and we were able to include a few other bits. What you can do is send a suitcase ahead, about £147.00 with courier door to door plus insurance costs which take it up to about £200.00.  Shippers will not usually ship containers of furniture etc without a permanent visa as they could get turned back or fined. I am sure some people have risked it but usually when they have had medical etc and just waiting for final VAC to go through, I suppose it depends how much you want to send.  Sue

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Hi SusieRoo, thank you for your good wishes - things are being packed up at breakneck speed here and I have had to make a small room a safe room for our luggage, documents etc. As regards sending things to your daughter we did send some boxes to our daughter (smaller than tea chest size) as we still had in store in our loft here items belonging to both our daughters and we were able to include a few other bits. What you can do is send a suitcase ahead, about £147.00 with courier door to door plus insurance costs which take it up to about £200.00.  Shippers will not usually ship containers of furniture etc without a permanent visa as they could get turned back or fined. I am sure some people have risked it but usually when they have had medical etc and just waiting for final VAC to go through, I suppose it depends how much you want to send.  Sue

Best wishes with everything from me too.  I've been very hard and told my daughter that she's had thirteen years to pick up her junk and anything still here is being got rid of. I have promised to give her the money if I manage to sell anything...  mini skirt and platform shoes anyone? :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

Do we know for sure, if we can apply for a new type visa and a CPV at the same time? Or do you not think it may be one or the other? From what I have read, these visas are not a gateway to PR.

Also I understand the application process is in two stages, with the child needing to get approval as a sponsor first, before the parent can make the formal application. So I wonder if part one is something that can be prearranged now to save time later. As I would expect there will be high demand for the first 15,000 places.  

I believe you can apply at same time but why would you at a cost of $5k for 3yrs when a 600 visa lasts the same amount of time and cheaper. Yr sponsor has to have been resident 4yrs also.  If you intend to go say half way through wait in the queue I would go for the 600 personally. Alan has a blog on it! 

Kath

Edited by Kathss56

Hi, does anyone know if my parents can open a bank acct in Oz and transfer money over whilst waiting for their visa to be granted? It looks like it is likely to be around April next yr before it gets granted and they would like to have their money ready to transfer over for their final VAC.

TIA

1 hour ago, Mrs Depp said:

Hi, does anyone know if my parents can open a bank acct in Oz and transfer money over whilst waiting for their visa to be granted? It looks like it is likely to be around April next yr before it gets granted and they would like to have their money ready to transfer over for their final VAC.

TIA

Hi,

This question has often come up and the answer is yes. People have different experiences of the details .. I believe some banks will allow you to open an account free of charges ... my own experience is that I opened an account with Westpac in 2012 while in the UK, communicating by phone with the London branch and by email. We validated our account, produced proof of ID etc in London within six months of opening it, and then received bank cards via the post in the UK.  The cards allow payment in shops, restaurants etc. and withdrawals from bank machines but no credit element. The account costs five dollars a month. We also have an esaver account and more recently a regular savings account. We have found it invaluable for moving money over, arranging birthday and Christmas presents and actually paying for the visa.  We still haven't moved although we are hoping to change that very soon and have used our bank to transfer regular amounts of money - they have given us a rate we are very happy with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

I'm currently struggling with the shipping element, given that I will be going out on a 600 visa and wanted also to take furniture to put in my apartment which will be at my daughter's property.  Immi info sheet "sending your personal belongings to Australia" does say that you can still import some types of goods  and specifically says that permanent residency requirements don't apply to furniture and a range of other personal or household items, even including lawn mowers, bikes, vacuum cleaners and books!  I'm getting very mixed info and advice back from shippers.  Is there anyone out there who has already successfully moved their items whilst still being on a 600 visa? Help/advice gratefully anticipated please. 

• Like 2