Guest guest36187

49 minutes ago, Geoffandgill said:

The only drawback to eftpos is that it has no security no. on the back, so you can't use it for on-line purchases! 

Geoff & Gill

Keeps the random impulse buys down then ... Bit of a nuisance if you want to book airfares online though.  Yet another reason to keep the UK bank account going ...

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Keeps the random impulse buys down then ... Bit of a nuisance if you want to book airfares online though.  Yet another reason to keep the UK bank account going ...

Since we've landed (2weeks ago) we have visited our bank and obtained visa debit cards which can be used online! Just have to wait for residency before we can get credit cards ?

Geoff & Gill

Hi Nana Jan

Welcome to Australia and the cold weather, great to hear that you are settling in, there is quite a bit to do when you arrive but even more when the visa comes through.

Let me know when you are thinking of a meet up, we are away from 17th July for 5 days and then will be available most days.

Julie

• Like 1

Our son and DIL moved down from Sydney to Melbourne last year for a career opportunity. When visiting last Nov, we were taken aback by how cold it was. They keep telling me we were just unfortunate with unseasonal weather, and is will be hot when we move out.

Clearly, beautiful weather is not our primary reason for emigrating, but it would be nice not to be too cold.

We have travelled, fairly extensively around Australia over a number of trips. And would definitely choose to live on the Sunshine Coast, if it was a little closer to family. (and we have considered it with only a 2.5 hour flight to MEL)

But realistically, I now think we will be somewhere within 1 hour of Melbourne centre. Mornington peninsular was special and very liveable, but maybe a little too far out of the city. (nearly 2 hours I think?)

Any suggestions would be welcome, any thoughts on Point Cook? (we have been told we must not live there) but it look looked OK when driving around the area.

• Like 1

Hi, my aunt and uncle have lived in Sunbury for 30+ years and love it, and it's easy to go into Melbourne on the train, and also explore around the area.  It wasn't too cold when I was there some years ago...but there has been a lot of unseasonal weather recently.

• Like 1

Melbourne can and does get very chilly in the winter but the weather overall is so much better than the UK.  The big difference is you will always get a descent summer. I'd say it's like comparing the UK to the south of France or Spain. Both get chilly in the winter but both guarantee you many months of glorious summer weather.  Melbournes weather is very changeable so even a summers day can change over a period of a few hours but by and large you can plan things to do outside and you'd be unlucky for it to let you down. In contrast, here in the UK thousands of events are arranged in the summer months and you just hope to get lucky or, as often is the way, you carry on in true Dunkirk spirit as the saying goes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rosiejaq said:

Hi, my aunt and uncle have lived in Sunbury for 30+ years and love it, and it's easy to go into Melbourne on the train, and also explore around the area.  It wasn't too cold when I was there some years ago...but there has been a lot of unseasonal weather recently.

Not yet been to Sunbury, but the name sounds promising, and it also looks good for access to Melbourne city (and airport). We did view online, many ‘new builds’ nearby at Diggers Rest, which looked like a possibility for us.

I see you’re heading for “North NSW Coast”, would you mind me asking where?

We’re just a little too old for the surfing lifestyle, but we still love Byron Bay and that part of the coast. I could easily see myself living a very relaxed and balanced life up there.

My old hippy husband thinks Nimbin is heaven (I don’t, but each to their own).

• Like 1

On 1 July 2017 at 21:04, bry45 said:

Hi all, not posted for a couple of weeks due to some family stuff, but all Ok as our daughter and 7 month old granddaughter are back in the UK for a month visiting, Grandmother is ecstatic and I've now got a new walking buddy:D.

Anyway, we've been talking about our caravan and possibly taking it with us. Its an older model (1995 Abbey Vogue 215 GTS) and only worth about £1500 , but we love it and its in great condition and ideal for our little trips. We were wondering if anyone has any info on whether or not we could take an older model and how much to ship.

Think it depends on what you plan to use it for whilst there, if you plan to stay on Tarmac roads might be ok . We had a Bailey here but when we went on our 600 visa brought an Aussie van much more robust . Also vans need a Rego like cars so not sure if an older uk van would meet the requirements , lorraine 

Hi

We live on the Westernport side of the Mornington Peninsular in Somers and our daughter lives in Safety Beach only 20 mins across to Port Philip Bay. We really like it down here and would not want to be closer to Melbourne. If we go to the city we either drive to Frankston and get on the train or if it is in daylight hours we can get on at our local Stony PointvLine station in minutes. as we don't travel to Melbourne very often the journey time of one and a half hours dorsn't bother us. We wanted to live by a beach and be fairly quiet. If you are commuting to CBd then I would suggest Bayside area Mentone and surrounding areas - much busier though. Can't help you with Point Cook as we don't know it. Despite what people say Frankston has a lot going for it and a good beach, good shopping centre, Arts Centre. It's one of those places that has grown on us. Trains run into CBD regularly and thro the night. 

At the end of the day we are all different and what suits one might not suit another. The only thing you can do is keep looking. Generally we have been pleased with the weather in Victoria, as someone said it's a bit Mediterranean style. Just freezing cold at night these last three days but the sun has been out most of the day.

Julie

• Like 2

On 02/07/2017 at 12:50, Geoffandgill said:

Looking forward to meeting up whenever suits you, it's easy for us to get a train into Melbourne.

Regards Geoff & Gill

17 hours ago, juliew1499 said:

Let me know when you are thinking of a meet up, we are away from 17th July for 5 days and then will be available most days.

Julie

Hi all,

Does either Tuesday 25th or Wednesday 26th July suit? I'm sure our respective offspring will be able to advise us on a good place for lunch.

NanaJan

57 minutes ago, NanaJan said:

Hi all,

Does either Tuesday 25th or Wednesday 26th July suit? I'm sure our respective offspring will be able to advise us on a good place for lunch.

NanaJan

Hi, either day would suit us.School holidays will be over by then and we will be  free to go into the city ?

Geoff & Gill

I've been here since the middle of April. My 864 application has been in for 8 weeks now. First payment made at the beginning of May.  I'm in Point Cook with my daughter and her family. Point Cook is growing rapidly and like for like houses here are about $1 million AUD  less than the other side of the bay. We're 20 minutes from Werribee open zoo, there are wineries nearby and we're an hour fro Torquay and the start of the Great Ocean Road.  We have a good shopping mall at Pacific Werribee and lots of play parks for the children and nice cafes serving good coffee and lovely brekky for the grown ups. It's about a 45 minute commute into the city for my daughter and her husband. 

I'm loving being able to be a hands on granny and helping with kindy drop off and pick up and child care one day a week. My brother has only visited before at Christmas and didn't believe me when I said how cold it's been. I've never seen frost on cars Iike I did at the weekend. 

I'm interested reading all the different experiences of everyone on here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Geoffandgill said:

Hi, either day would suit us.School holidays will be over by then and we will be  free to go into the city ?

Geoff & Gill

3 hours ago, juliew1499 said:

Hi Jan

Yes either day is good for us too, we will also come in on the train so can walk to South Bank area. Not sure of a venue so anything your kids can suggest would be great. Looking forward to meeting up.

Julie

OK. So let's say Wednesday 26th July.

I'll pm you both my mobile number and we'll arrange timings and venue in the next week or so.

Looking forward to it - almost Christmas in July:)

• Like 1

My date of lodgement for a 143 was 1st Dec 2014. I have just got an email from PVC to get police checks, medicals and AOS documents prepared.

No assignment to a Case Officer yet but this is the best news after such a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Kpnuts said:

My date of lodgement for a 143 was 1st Dec 2014. I have just got an email from PVC to get police checks, medicals and AOS documents prepared.

No assignment to a Case Officer yet but this is the best news after such a long time.

That's great news..looks like immi are starting to move again! NanaJan any news for you?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kpnuts said:

That's great news!

I think NanaJan has the same lodgement date, any news there?

• Like 1

Yay, NanaJan has also received THE request for AoS, medicals, police clearance and forms 80.

Oh my word, it came as quite a shock after all this time. A glass of wine in hand at the moment and fully on the case tomorrow.

I won't forget the date either. It's our daughter's 40th today. She's out celebrating and we're babysitting:jiggy:

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, NanaJan said:

Yay, NanaJan has also received THE request for AoS, medicals, police clearance and forms 80.

Oh my word, it came as quite a shock after all this time. A glass of wine in hand at the moment and fully on the case tomorrow.

I won't forget the date either. It's our daughter's 40th today. She's out celebrating and we're babysitting:jiggy:

Congratulations!

Geoff & Gill

• Like 3