Guest guest36187

56 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Thanks Alan, Yes we are where we are in the queue but the projected processing times have gone from 36 to 39 months (90%). The question is with a late Dec 2014 lodgement are we now talking Feb/March 2018  (39 months) before we hear anything and the ball starts rolling?. Thats a big difference in our houses sale plans. Just anxious and frustrated ( like others I'm sure).

Incidently. do you know if the 39 months Immi refer to is start or completed by date please ?.

My understanding is that the processing times quoted refer to the total timeline from lodgment to grant.

On Friday we had a 22 Oct 2014 143 application with a request for health and character clearances, and the AoS process, so hopefully just 2 to 3 months or so for you to receive the same.

Maybe arrange police clearances and forms 80, if not done already?   Discuss with your agent.

Best regards.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Very well put, we’re all parents and grandparents with a common goal, regardless of which type of visa we have applied for.

I think I can get so caught up in my own worries, it's easy to forget, by having the ability to pay for our visas, we are really the ones jumping the queue.

I just wish immi would be a little bit more transparent when adding a year onto the waiting times.

It would appear to me that IMMI are heading for a compete meltdown with the 355 less staff!

especially when, in Nov, the new temp parent visa starts!

Feeling subdued :(

18 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

It would appear to me that IMMI are heading for a compete meltdown with the 355 less staff!

https://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/annual-reports/Part-1_DIBP-Annual-Report-2014-15.pdf

See page 3: 9,559 staff at the DIBP at 30 June 2015 - so maybe not a meltdown ...?

In any event, so long as the PVC is managing the caseload to deliver the required number of parent visa grants all is well from the Department's perspective.

The frustrations are more borne from demand for parent visas exceeding supply each and every year.   And that shows no sign of abating any time soon - at least not until application charges go up markedly.  

Best regards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

https://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/annual-reports/Part-1_DIBP-Annual-Report-2014-15.pdf

See page 3: 9,559 staff at the DIBP at 30 June 2015 - so maybe not a meltdown ...?

In any event, so long as the PVC is managing the caseload to deliver the required number of parent visa grants all is well from the Department's perspective.

The frustrations are more borne from demand for parent visas exceeding supply each and every year.   And that shows no sign of abating any time soon - at least not until application charges go up markedly.  

Best regards.

Thanks once again Alan..  the only frustration for lots of us is when we applied was 18-24mths and is the now ever stretching 36- 39mths, but I'm sure the Australian government are'nt too stressed about that and as you say they do fulfill  the annual quota!

On 6/18/2017 at 14:18, Jellybean T said:

Has anyone changed from the 143 to the 864 contributory aged-parent? If so could they post how they did this and if time in the queue was taken into account,  as we now qualify for this visa and were looking at our  options. Have to sell the house first and as we live in Spain it's a bit slow. We are 18 months in the queue at the moment.  All  info gratefully received.

Hi

We originally applied for a 143 visa in January 2015 but once we found out the shorter processing times for the 864 visa we switched to that and submitted in November 2015. We then had a CO appointed in September 2016 so much shorter than if we had waited for the 143 visa. They don't take into account time in the 143 queue and you have to pay the 1st VAC again. You have to be onshore when applying and when the visa is granted.

Thank you very much for the information, once the house is sold we will definitely look into going down that route.  Of coutse it could take a year or more to sell the house and then we might be better off in the 143 queue,  only time will tell. It gives us something else to think about while we are in the waiting room! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

I think I’m also heading for a meltdown and it's not just the weather.

No response to the test email last week, so I guess ‘no change’ again. It would really be good to read some sort of explanation as to why this recent increase in 143 / 173 processing times. (Nudge, nudge IMMI, just in case you read this)

Also, thank you Alan for all the informative posts, and keeping us from going completely bonkers.

Only good news is this lovely sunshine is allowing husband to practice his BBQ skills (more like incineration to me, but it keeps him happy).

• Like 5

19 hours ago, daveedley said:

Hi

We originally applied for a 143 visa in January 2015 but once we found out the shorter processing times for the 864 visa we switched to that and submitted in November 2015. We then had a CO appointed in September 2016 so much shorter than if we had waited for the 143 visa. They don't take into account time in the 143 queue and you have to pay the 1st VAC again. You have to be onshore when applying and when the visa is granted.

Sadly, the 864 is no longer available.

864 Contributory Aged-Parent (Residence)   Unavailable due to low volume of applications. Unavailable due to low volume of applications.
884 Contributory Aged-Parent (Temporary)   Unavailable due to low volume of applications. Unavailable due to low volume of applications.

2 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

864 Contributory Aged-Parent (Residence)   Unavailable due to low volume of applications. Unavailable due to low volume of applications.
884 Contributory Aged-Parent (Temporary)   Unavailable due to low volume of applications. Unavailable due to low volume of applications.

Methinks you misinterpret the data ...

Best regards.

• Like 3

On 18/06/2017 at 02:27, Bear2015 said:

I am finding it difficult to understand the difference in processing times of the 143 and 173 which was published recently.

143 Contributory Parent (Migrant)   35 Months 39 Months
173 Contributory Parent (Temporary)   41 Months

45 Months

If the total Number of 143/173  visas for a year is 7175, then shoudn't they report both visa types together since it is processed in date order? Or are they having seperate Numbers allocated for 173 and 143 out of the 7175? I am totally confused. I'm sure you guys understand the situation better and could enlight me. 

There are some Oct 2014 parents who have already got case offices this month ( accoding to a south african forum). So are these figures for the NEW applicants , though the DIBP site says current levels ??

It is difficult to guess why 173 and 143 streams are now showing 4/6 months difference in processing times.

I can only assume, there has been a lot more parents applying for the 173 in the last month (or is that just wishful thinking?).

We will get a better idea as the new financial year progresses, so it's important to keep the 'GM Visa Tracker' updated.

It's our 15 month 'waiting room anniversary' tomorrow and we had been thinking this marked our half-way point, now it may just be 1/3.

Still, it seems like a good excuse to open a bottle of Aldi's best fizz!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

The processing times are unavailable due to low volume of applications.  The visa is still available.

• Like 3

On 20 June 2017 at 14:11, SusieRoo said:

It is difficult to guess why 173 and 143 streams are now showing 4/6 months difference in processing times.

I can only assume, there has been a lot more parents applying for the 173 in the last month (or is that just wishful thinking?).

We will get a better idea as the new financial year progresses, so it's important to keep the 'GM Visa Tracker' updated.

It's our 15 month 'waiting room anniversary' tomorrow and we had been thinking this marked our half-way point, now it may just be 1/3.

On 20 June 2017 at 14:11, SusieRoo said:

We thought we would be receiving our visa at this time 26 months for us. Returned from spending 18mths in Australia last May on a family visa now contemplating going back out to wait until 143 granted . So another bottle to open in this household too?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, HarrisL16 said:

We thought we would be receiving our visa at this time 26 months for us. Returned from spending 18mths in Australia last May on a family visa now contemplating going back out to wait until 143 granted . So another bottle to open in this household too?

So presumably the family visa you are talking of is the 600 tourist visa which so many of us on this forum are now looking at.  If you stayed 18months then did you have to leave at some point then go back in on the same visa?  Did you encounter any problems with it?  Is there any required gap before you are allowed to apply for another one?  We keep getting so many mixed messages on this forum about this visa  that we need as many positive reassurances about it as possible.  I am one of those aiming to go down this route once my house is sold, which I'm hoping will be sooner rather than later!

Test email today is showing no change again for 173/143's - "We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 13 October 2014".

But they have now added the following message,

594cd6b62ee0e_Screenshot2017-06-2309_47_18.thumb.png.e30071a31b30470cb4a6f1ba20fd1161.png

Not so good for everyone already in the 173/143 queue. 

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 2

I’m feeling depressed!

There is a concern that the Non-Contributory Visas will be scrapped in the next 12 months, with the introduction of the New Parent Visa.

Clearly IMMI is now actively encouraging Non-Contributory’s to switch to the 173/143 queue, without being “disadvantaged”.

It’s worrying to think with an estimated +50k people in pipeline for NCPV’s, it would only need a small percentage making the switch, to add months (or years) onto the waiting times for many of us.

I know this is probably fair and rational for all concerned, but it is so difficult to make plans when the timescale keeps changing. Family, house, jobs, dogs, weddings, holiday plans and everything else is thrown into turmoil each time the goal posts move.

Like most, we started with expectations for an 18 month processing time. I could accept a month or two more, but this is not the right way to treat people.

But what can we do?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I’m feeling depressed!

There is a concern that the Non-Contributory Visas will be scrapped in the next 12 months, with the introduction of the New Parent Visa.

Clearly IMMI is now actively encouraging Non-Contributory’s to switch to the 173/143 queue, without being “disadvantaged”.

It’s worrying to think with an estimated +50k people in pipeline for NCPV’s, it would only need a small percentage making the switch, to add months (or years) onto the waiting times for many of us.

I know this is probably fair and rational for all concerned, but it is so difficult to make plans when the timescale keeps changing. Family, house, jobs, dogs, weddings, holiday plans and everything else is thrown into turmoil each time the goal posts move.

Like most, we started with expectations for an 18 month processing time. I could accept a month or two more, but this is not the right way to treat people.

But what can we do?

Gosh that is really depressing.  Now I'm going to have to open some wine as well and the trouble is that I have to drink it on my own.  We will all become alcoholics at this rate and fail the medicals because of liver problems!!!

Maybe we will end up having to turn to the new parent visa to tide us over.

• Like 1

Just a quick question if my dad applies for non contributory visa in Australia can he stay while it is processed or does he have to leave as I believe these can take up to 20 years to process and he is 71 now ( we can't afford contributory)

2 hours ago, AMP said:

Gosh that is really depressing.  Now I'm going to have to open some wine as well and the trouble is that I have to drink it on my own.  We will all become alcoholics at this rate and fail the medicals because of liver problems!!!e

Maybe we will end up having to turn to the new parent visa to tide us over.

They actually discontinued the 103 a while ago and then reinstated it later that same year. I don't think I was ever told the 143 would be 18 months waiting time - I always understood it to be about two years?  We eventually waited three years from our first application because we had waited two years and nine months before we switched. Don't forget that switchers have to pay the first vac all over again so that would probably put some people off, particularly if they were on the 103 because of money issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharon h said:

Just a quick question if my dad applies for non contributory visa in Australia can he stay while it is processed or does he have to leave as I believe these can take up to 20 years to process and he is 71 now ( we can't afford contributory)

I think your dad can apply for an Aged Non-Contributory Parent Visas (804). Then apply for a bridging visa, which will allow him to stay until the visa is processed.

The border.gov.au website is currently not working, so I can’t check, but I do think you have to apply ‘on-shore’ for these visas (so he would need to be in Australia on a tourist visa when applying).

As discussed earlier, there is some uncertainty to the future of all Non-Contributory Visas. But this is only speculation and nothing official has yet been announced.

There will also be a new type of 3 and 5 year parent visas available from November.

I hope these details are correct, and if not, I’m sure someone will correct me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AMP said:

So presumably the family visa you are talking of is the 600 tourist visa which so many of us on this forum are now looking at.  If you stayed 18months then did you have to leave at some point then go back in on the same visa?  Did you encounter any problems with it?  Is there any required gap before you are allowed to apply for another one?  We keep getting so many mixed messages on this forum about this visa  that we need as many positive reassurances about it as possible.  I am one of those aiming to go down this route once my house is sold, which I'm hoping will be sooner rather than later!

Hi yes we had a visitor visa (class FA) subclass 600 to give it its full title. We left Australia for 2 weeks mainly because we had return tickets and then re-entered on the same visa for another 12 months, there was a date of expiry . I did ring the immigration dept. Whilst in Australia to make sure I could return. I had to have a medical for this visa but my husband didn't , and we had to show immigration our insurance for the time of our stay . Hope this helps. Lorraine ?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

They actually discontinued the 103 a while ago and then reinstated it later that same year. I don't think I was ever told the 143 would be 18 months waiting time - I always understood it to be about two years?  We eventually waited three years from our first application because we had waited two years and nine months before we switched. Don't forget that switchers have to pay the first vac all over again so that would probably put some people off, particularly if they were on the 103 because of money issues.

I also don’t think we were ever told 173/143s would be 18 months, I just (foolishly) made the assumption based on the processing times before we applied.

I had not realised you had switched yourselves, and if you don’t mind me asking, were you in the original queue before it closed in 2014? I imagine that must have been a dreadful experience to be suddenly told your visa stream was ending.    

6 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I also don’t think we were ever told 173/143s would be 18 months, I just (foolishly) made the assumption based on the processing times before we applied.

I had not realised you had switched yourselves, and if you don’t mind me asking, were you in the original queue before it closed in 2014? I imagine that must have been a dreadful experience to be suddenly told your visa stream was ending.    

The 103 and 804 visa subclasses were closed to new applicants at the end of May 2014 (re-opened in Sept 2014); applications already lodged were unaffected by that hiatus.

Best regards.

7 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I think your dad can apply for an Aged Non-Contributory Parent Visas (804). Then apply for a bridging visa, which will allow him to stay until the visa is processed.

The border.gov.au website is currently not working, so I can’t check, but I do think you have to apply ‘on-shore’ for these visas (so he would need to be in Australia on a tourist visa when applying).

As discussed earlier, there is some uncertainty to the future of all Non-Contributory Visas. But this is only speculation and nothing official has yet been announced.

There will also be a new type of 3 and 5 year parent visas available from November.

I hope these details are correct, and if not, I’m sure someone will correct me.

There is no separate application for a Bridging Visa when lodging an onshore subclass 804 visa application - a BV A is granted at the same that the 804 visa application is receipted by the Parent Visa Centre.

Best regards.

• Like 1