Guest guest36187

On 23/05/2017 at 19:33, Suzyq said:

I thought you'd decided to wait for your 143 Bry45......changed your minds?!

I've just signed to agree to the conditions on my 600 and will look to see what happens in November with the 3 year temp. We're visiting for a couple of weeks end of June and then when our dogs are ready to fly in November I'll be off!!!!

Hi

Did you say you are flying to Perth ? only I hear they don't have animal quarantine there? So are your dogs going to Melbourne etc? 

• Like 1

On 8 June 2017 at 11:57, juliew1499 said:

Hi Geoff and Gill

we brought all our no claims evidence with us and insured our car via our banks insurance company . We were asked if we had full no claims bonus and they said fine the insurance company may ask for proof but usually they don't. We were not asked for any evidence!

we are finding that the most frustrating thing about emigrating is the time it takes to get the tax situation sorted with HMRC, it's just soooooo slow. Claiming Uk pension and getting it paid into Oz bank account couldn't have been easier, plus the rate of exchange given on state pension has exceeded anything we could have got ourselves. 

glad we took the plunge and changed our money as our unit that we are living in plus our block of land have appreciated in value already. We are hoping to get our house design next week so looking forward to that.

we had been feeling somewhat isolated in the community but have recently joined a classic car club, U3A and Probus and now there are not enough days in the week to do everything. 

Good luck with everything and don't forget to catch up for that drink on South Bank!

Hi Julie, hi everyone,

I'm dropping back into the discussions here because it seems as though we are finally on our way.   We were actually granted our 143 last year, but didn't feel we could leave because of family ties, mainly my 95 year old mum.  We lost mum in January this year, so we decided the time was right to make the move and put the house on the market. Having thought it would probably take months to sell, we've been very laid back about the whole moving thing (plus we've been waiting since 2013 one way and another so the idea of actually going anywhere had kind of faded into the background).

Well we accepted an offer last month and had the survey last week. One or two matters arising but it seems the buyers have every intention of going ahead, and it seems we may be on our way to Oz by the end of August. my own response has surprised me - blind terror!   I am now furiously planning and scheming. So all the posts on here are once again relevant. 

To those still waiting, we are proof that you can get to the point of packing ... And I promise to come on and tell anything that might be useful to others.    

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 8

Slightly off topic, but I hope this may be of use to anyone in the process of moving or selling up.

I help with care for an elderly friend and needed an emergency carpet clean on Sunday morning. None of our local cleaning companies were available at short notice, so husband hired a DIY cleaning machine via the Internet (and collected from a locker at our local Asda).

I was not expecting much, but to my amazement the whole carpet now looks like new.

The rental company is called ‘Rug Doctor’ and you can pickup these small machines from most supermarkets nationwide. It cost £22.99 for 24h and was is very easy to use. (The cleaning liquid sold with the machine seamed a little pricey so I will shop around next time)

Good to hear from Fisher1 and best wishes for your impending move. Please keep us all updated.

• Like 3

On 6/9/2017 at 10:31, clarkesville1 said:

My daughter and family are renting in Mount Eliza Victoria.   They found it hard from the UK to find something, so they got their relocation agent to do it for them.  They looked online and sent her details, she viewed them, then she found one for them, did the paperwork, references spoke to the agents on their behalf and then secured the property for them to move right into.   They were brilliant actually.  They only moved over at the end of May and are really settled in a lovely house near the school.

I don't suppose you could tell me who their relocation agent was?

3 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Slightly off topic, but I hope this may be of use to anyone in the process of moving or selling up.

I help with care for an elderly friend and needed an emergency carpet clean on Sunday morning. None of our local cleaning companies were available at short notice, so husband hired a DIY cleaning machine via the Internet (and collected from a locker at our local Asda).

I was not expecting much, but to my amazement the whole carpet now looks like new.

The rental company is called ‘Rug Doctor’ and you can pickup these small machines from most supermarkets nationwide. It cost £22.99 for 24h and was is very easy to use. (The cleaning liquid sold with the machine seamed a little pricey so I will shop around next time)

Good to hear from Fisher1 and best wishes for your impending move. Please keep us all updated.

Rug doctor! Fabulous machines, used them every year to clean our carpets and my mums. Brilliant!

8 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Hi

Did you say you are flying to Perth ? only I hear they don't have animal quarantine there? So are your dogs going to Melbourne etc? 

Hi Kathss56, there is only one quarantine centre now - in Melbourne. Following the 10 days quarantine they will be flown to Perth so we'll pick them up from there. We're using PetAir UK and they seem to know what's what. I feel mean for putting them through the flights and quarantine but I know they'll forget the experience after a while and purely selfishly we don't want to live without them!

I still don't have my 600 but we don't fly to Aus until 27th so they've got a few days left!

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 03:57, juliew1499 said:

Hi Geoff and Gill

we brought all our no claims evidence with us and insured our car via our banks insurance company . We were asked if we had full no claims bonus and they said fine the insurance company may ask for proof but usually they don't. We were not asked for any evidence!

we are finding that the most frustrating thing about emigrating is the time it takes to get the tax situation sorted with HMRC, it's just soooooo slow. Claiming Uk pension and getting it paid into Oz bank account couldn't have been easier, plus the rate of exchange given on state pension has exceeded anything we could have got ourselves. 

glad we took the plunge and changed our money as our unit that we are living in plus our block of land have appreciated in value already. We are hoping to get our house design next week so looking forward to that.

we had been feeling somewhat isolated in the community but have recently joined a classic car club, U3A and Probus and now there are not enough days in the week to do everything. 

Good luck with everything and don't forget to catch up for that drink on South Bank!

Do you mind me asking when you told the UK authorities you were leaving?  Not sure when is the best time ...

Hi Fisher

Not sure which authorities you mean.......HMRC?? We contacted the ATO and Medicare as soon as our visa was granted and we had re entered the country in December 2016. Our UK tax situation is somewhat complicated as we sold a business and our Accountant is still dealing with that........hence all the delay. 

Julie

The thing that worries me is where I will stand on a 600 visa.  I will be technically a tourist in Oz with no rights of residence but not actually living in the uk either as I am selling my house here.  What address will I give to the "authorities", also banks in the UK? Also what  do I do about my driving licence address?  Plus, if and when I then have to apply for another 600 tourist visa then what will be my address then?   Any advice please from those who have already been down this route? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AMP said:

The thing that worries me is where I will stand on a 600 visa.  I will be technically a tourist in Oz with no rights of residence but not actually living in the uk either as I am selling my house here.  What address will I give to the "authorities", also banks in the UK? Also what  do I do about my driving licence address?  Plus, if and when I then have to apply for another 600 tourist visa then what will be my address then?   Any advice please from those who have already been down this route? 

Funnily enough, I've been thinking the same. We handed in the keys to our rental home on Friday and are staying with friends and family until we fly on Friday. We are technically homeless & unemployed!!

18 minutes ago, AMP said:

We have sent you a private message, hope it helps

Geoff & Gill

We have sent you a private message, hope it helps
Geoff & Gill

In exactly the same position, we leave Aus to go to NZ for two days in August to get our second year. Even after that second year we are unlikely to have our visa, I am hoping we will be able to go Off shore and re apply for a new 600 visa.

A trip to NZ from Aus including a stop over hotel will set you back around 1000$ au. The driving licence was easy but expensive it was about 600 for the both of us for 10 years and it was all done at VIC Roads. I guess the other states are much the same.

Notify banks, pensions etc; has been easy via email. UK tax matters is on going and HMRC is proving difficult to contact unless you write to them or ring them.

Do be aware that your income tax in Australia is likely to prove eye watering and you will be a tax resident in Australia probably before you are a resident. You may well be liable to a 2% Medicare levy on top of your tax due. We are learning all the time and are happy to admit our knowledge is fractured. Get pro advice on your tax affairs.

Private health care is a stipulation of the 600 visa, we use BUPA and its around 280 a month , rental costs in outer Melbourne 350 - 450 a week, be aware that this magically rises because the figures quoted weekly are for 52 weeks which when you pay monthly expect a quoted figure of 400 a week to become 433.... Confused....we were.

Pm me and I will try to answer any questions.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bridgie said:

In exactly the same position, we leave Aus to go to NZ for two days in August to get our second year. Even after that second year we are unlikely to have our visa, I am hoping we will be able to go Off shore and re apply for a new 600 visa.

A trip to NZ from Aus including a stop over hotel will set you back around 1000$ au. The driving licence was easy but expensive it was about 600 for the both of us for 10 years and it was all done at VIC Roads. I guess the other states are much the same.

Notify banks, pensions etc; has been easy via email. UK tax matters is on going and HMRC is proving difficult to contact unless you write to them or ring them.

Do be aware that your income tax in Australia is likely to prove eye watering and you will be a tax resident in Australia probably before you are a resident. You may well be liable to a 2% Medicare levy on top of your tax due. We are learning all the time and are happy to admit our knowledge is fractured. Get pro advice on your tax affairs.

Private health care is a stipulation of the 600 visa, we use BUPA and its around 280 a month , rental costs in outer Melbourne 350 - 450 a week, be aware that this magically rises because the figures quoted weekly are for 52 weeks which when you pay monthly expect a quoted figure of 400 a week to become 433.... Confused....we were.

If you have not yet been granted a permanent residency visa your UK source income is not taxable in Australia, even if you are tax resident in Australia.

Thus, pension income from the UK remains taxable in the UK until your permanent residency visa is granted.

Best regards,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bridgie said:

So, it sounds as though you are notifying banks etc of your OZ address.  Is this correct and is this valid even though you are technically Tourists?  I would be grateful if you can let me know, via this forum, of how you get on with your 600 renewal and which address you give.

I've already separately consulted re tax issues and think I have that sussed now (many thanks Alan Collett).  My only Oz income initially will just be from savings held  there and this will be less than my personal allowance (which is currently 18,200 AUD) so I won't have to pay anything at all, though will have to file a "non lodgement advice".  I also learned that it is possible to have up to 12k tax free income p.a. once I am formally resident in Oz, and this is in addition to the personal tax free allowance.  It is a possibility for anyone under the age of 65 if you have capital to invest, this being invested in what is called a self managed superannuation fund.  It's misleading because you don't have to self manage it!!  It's an arrangement created by the Australian government to encourage people to save for their retirement.  Each individual can invest up to 100k per year up to and including the year when you turn 65.  I think you can only draw on it once you actually turn 65.  You have to have a tax file number to open but you can get this once you arrive in Oz and it is available also for those on a 600 visa.  The other good thing is that the investment can be in £sterling and simply converted to AUD as and when you wish, i.e. when  conversion rates are better (we can continue to hope that pigs will fly!!).

Hope this proves helpful.  Alan Collett gave me contacts for this advice so I suggest you go via him if you want to investigate further. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

If you have not yet been granted a permanent residency visa your UK source income is not taxable in Australia, even if you are tax resident in Australia.

Thus, pension income from the UK remains taxable in the UK until your permanent residency visa is granted.

Best regards,

Thanks Alan,

I'm not doubting you at all as you do this every day, however, when I use the ATO check list of whether I am a tax resident or not, it mentions no where about pension Income from the UK being taxed in the UK solely until you are granted permanent residency. Is this an agreement between UK and Oz ?. I, like every other applicant am mortified that I might somehow run foul of the ATO and thereby get a black mark against our 143 application.

Appreciate any pointers as to where I can find this Info.

Thanks again.

15 hours ago, AMP said:

So, it sounds as though you are notifying banks etc of your OZ address.  Is this correct and is this valid even though you are technically Tourists?  I would be grateful if you can let me know, via this forum, of how you get on with your 600 renewal and which address you give.

I've already separately consulted re tax issues and think I have that sussed now (many thanks Alan Collett).  My only Oz income initially will just be from savings held  there and this will be less than my personal allowance (which is currently 18,200 AUD) so I won't have to pay anything at all, though will have to file a "non lodgement advice".  I also learned that it is possible to have up to 12k tax free income p.a. once I am formally resident in Oz, and this is in addition to the personal tax free allowance.  It is a possibility for anyone under the age of 65 if you have capital to invest, this being invested in what is called a self managed superannuation fund.  It's misleading because you don't have to self manage it!!  It's an arrangement created by the Australian government to encourage people to save for their retirement.  Each individual can invest up to 100k per year up to and including the year when you turn 65.  I think you can only draw on it once you actually turn 65.  You have to have a tax file number to open but you can get this once you arrive in Oz and it is available also for those on a 600 visa.  The other good thing is that the investment can be in £sterling and simply converted to AUD as and when you wish, i.e. when  conversion rates are better (we can continue to hope that pigs will fly!!).

Hope this proves helpful.  Alan Collett gave me contacts for this advice so I suggest you go via him if you want to investigate further. 

Hi AMP,

I missed out some vital info---i blame the wine !!!!!

The bank i notified was our Spanish bank as we lived there up til we came to Australia. We had to do this for tax reasons as we have become Non Fiscal Resident in Spain. Our UK bank happily accepted our Spanish address to send statements and year end certificates and I did this online.  Sorry for the confusion.

Reference the 600 renewal I shall post how it goes. We flew to NZ in April and the airline wanted to see the visa but customs in NZ didn't. On return to Australia I went through the automatic Immigration set up OK but my wife had a problem which meant she had to go to a manual desk. I was the other side by then but was able to see the computer screen as she was checked through. The details it showed on the screen where her passport photo, the photo taken that day at the automated booth, her 600 visa details and our current Australian address. This next trip is to get the second year as we had the clause "Multi entry" on our visa and this allows us to visit Australia for 1 year from date of entry up to 30 August 2017---hence we go on the 25th return of the 27th and therefore obtain 12 more months. I am fully expecting to be stopped by both NZ and Australian customs as we are spending such little time away. Its more the following year I am concern about i.e. from 26th August 2018 as our visa will have expired with no renewal allowed. I am assuming/hoping we can leave Australia before the end date and apply for a completely new 600 to tide us over to Jan 2019 which is when I expect us to be granted PR.

Anyone else know the answers please post and I'll check in and post about the renewal in August.

Bridgie

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bridgie said:

Thanks Alan,

I'm not doubting you at all as you do this every day, however, when I use the ATO check list of whether I am a tax resident or not, it mentions no where about pension Income from the UK being taxed in the UK solely until you are granted permanent residency. Is this an agreement between UK and Oz ?. I, like every other applicant am mortified that I might somehow run foul of the ATO and thereby get a black mark against our 143 application.

Appreciate any pointers as to where I can find this Info.

Thanks again.

https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi=/static/rba/content/83944.htm

This ATO Private Ruling sums up the position pretty well.

If you are a tax resident of Australia while holding a temporary residency visa you are a temporary resident (as defined) for tax purposes.

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi=/static/rba/content/83944.htm

This ATO Private Ruling sums up the position pretty well.

If you are a tax resident of Australia while holding a temporary residency visa you are a temporary resident (as defined) for tax purposes.

Best regards.

Thanks again Alan, 

Just PM'd you

Bridgie

• Like 2

I have read many posts on here lately about 600 visas. Of course, much depends on what conditions have been applied. My current 600 visa is a 3 year visa but has an 8503 condition of no further stay and 8558 which means you cannot stay longer than 12 months in any 18 month period. I got the impression that some folks thought that they could leave for a month and the 12 month period would restart bit then again I may have mis interpreted what they said.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

1 hour ago, bridgie said:

Hi AMP,

I missed out some vital info---i blame the wine !!!!!

The bank i notified was our Spanish bank as we lived there up til we came to Australia. We had to do this for tax reasons as we have become Non Fiscal Resident in Spain. Our UK bank happily accepted our Spanish address to send statements and year end certificates and I did this online.  Sorry for the confusion.

Reference the 600 renewal I shall post how it goes. We flew to NZ in April and the airline wanted to see the visa but customs in NZ didn't. On return to Australia I went through the automatic Immigration set up OK but my wife had a problem which meant she had to go to a manual desk. I was the other side by then but was able to see the computer screen as she was checked through. The details it showed on the screen where her passport photo, the photo taken that day at the automated booth, her 600 visa details and our current Australian address. This next trip is to get the second year as we had the clause "Multi entry" on our visa and this allows us to visit Australia for 1 year from date of entry up to 30 August 2017---hence we go on the 25th return of the 27th and therefore obtain 12 more months. I am fully expecting to be stopped by both NZ and Australian customs as we are spending such little time away. Its more the following year I am concern about i.e. from 26th August 2018 as our visa will have expired with no renewal allowed. I am assuming/hoping we can leave Australia before the end date and apply for a completely new 600 to tide us over to Jan 2019 which is when I expect us to be granted PR.

Anyone else know the answers please post and I'll check in and post about the renewal in August.

Bridgie

Thanks Bridgie, that helps to explain it all.  Also it's really useful to hear about your actual experiences in terms of coming and going on the 600 visa.  Sounds as though the August exit/ entry should be unproblematic (touch wood!) though it will be reassuring to have your post and confirmation of this when you have actually done it.  

Has anyone been through the experience of applying for a new 600 when out of the country and, if so, then what address did you use? Also wondering, as you are, whether there are any issues going to NZ at that point, particularly if, at the point of entry to NZ, you  don't have a valid visa for the return trip. 

1 hour ago, Kpnuts said:

I have read many posts on here lately about 600 visas. Of course, much depends on what conditions have been applied. My current 600 visa is a 3 year visa but has an 8503 condition of no further stay and 8558 which means you cannot stay longer than 12 months in any 18 month period. I got the impression that some folks thought that they could leave for a month and the 12 month period would restart bit then again I may have mis interpreted what they said.

I wonder how the immigration people make their decision as to what conditions they apply to each 600?!?!

This is the wording of my response regarding the conditions applied:

""Dear Sirs, 

I understand the following Conditions and agree :

Condition 8558 - I must not spend more than 12 months in Australia in any 18-month period;

Condition 8501 – I must maintain private health insurance whilst I am onshore;and

Condition 8503 – I must not lodge any further visa applications whilst I am onshore;

I have quotations from various Health Insurance providers and will activate this as soon as my travel arrangements have been secured.""

This is a 3 year visa, so I doubt I can reapply for another until those 3 years have elapsed. If anyone knows anything different please let me know! My current plan is to return to UK for 3 months every year, which is a lot and very inconvenient! But we can't think of any other way around it!

Bry45, what conditions did you have attached to your 600?

I wonder how the immigration people make their decision as to what conditions they apply to each 600?!?!
This is the wording of my response regarding the conditions applied:

""Dear Sirs, 

I understand the following Conditions and agree :

Condition 8558 - I must not spend more than 12 months in Australia in any 18-month period;

Condition 8501 – I must maintain private health insurance whilst I am onshore;and

Condition 8503 – I must not lodge any further visa applications whilst I am onshore;

I have quotations from various Health Insurance providers and will activate this as soon as my travel arrangements have been secured.""

This is a 3 year visa, so I doubt I can reapply for another until those 3 years have elapsed. If anyone knows anything different please let me know! My current plan is to return to UK for 3 months every year, which is a lot and very inconvenient! But we can't think of any other way around it!

Bry45, what conditions did you have attached to your 600?

My interpretation is that you can spend 9 months in Aus, return to the UK for 3 months but on your return to Aus you will only be able to stay for 3 months. If you go back to the UK for another 3 months you will then be able to return to AU for another 9 months or up to the full 12.

For those taking out sub class 600 visas intending to remain in AU until the PR is granted, just check that you have specialised travel insurance. You will probably need to take out a 'single trip' insurance. If you rely on a normal travel insurance the small print will specify the amount of days covered and will require you to be returning to the UK, just check on the small print.

• Like 2