Guest guest36187

Hi geoffandgill. We shipped my Jeep inside our container and really wish we had shipped my husbands jag as well we came in 2008 PSS helped us and it was very straight forward we sold the jag in the U.K. for £5k and would have got $60k here ?  

14 minutes ago, Geoffandgill said:

Hi, we know what you mean! We have just returned from a lovely restful two weeks in Crete and are now back on the case! Having a shipping company coming today to take two boxes of summer clothes/ shoes to Oz. They should arrive just in time for spring.We are now in the process of packing the last couple of boxes to put in storage and in our caravan which will await shipping once 143s are issued. We leave our rented flat on 14th June to stay with friends till 18th when we fly. Geoff is still contemplating having to sell his car, which he loves! See you soon! Where in Melbourne area are heading?

Geoff & Gill

Just a thought on Geoff's car.

We are planning on taking our car with us. There is "personal imports option" which means you don't pay import tax. 

When we have compared prices, selling the car here then buying a replacement, to the cost of shipping. It easily stacks up for us.

Best wishes for your move

32 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

We are planning on taking our car with us. There is "personal imports option" which means you don't pay import tax. 

When we have compared prices, selling the car here then buying a replacement, to the cost of shipping. It easily stacks up for us.

Good luck to you all, I haven't started this process yet, but am reading all these posts its a minefield.   Our daughter and gran kids only moved out on the 15th May.   They have moved to Mount Eliza, Victoria and are loving every minute so far.    We will be traveling back and forth to visit until they have been there for the 2 years and we can apply to retire there.  

I was interested in your posts saying you would bring your cars.....my husband has a weakness for a nice car and wondered what sort of costs would we be looking at to ship a car??  Never even crossed my mind to do this.   I will be watching this site carefully over years.   One other thing, does anyone recommend that I speak to an agent now or leave till the two years are up?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, clarkesville1 said:

Good luck to you all, I haven't started this process yet, but am reading all these posts its a minefield.   Our daughter and gran kids only moved out on the 15th May.   They have moved to Mount Eliza, Victoria and are loving every minute so far.    We will be traveling back and forth to visit until they have been there for the 2 years and we can apply to retire there.  

I was interested in your posts saying you would bring your cars.....my husband has a weakness for a nice car and wondered what sort of costs would we be looking at to ship a car??  Never even crossed my mind to do this.   I will be watching this site carefully over years.   One other thing, does anyone recommend that I speak to an agent now or leave till the two years are up?

There is a special thread on taking cars (or not as the case may be).  It's here:  

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

Hi, we changed our car and caravan back in 2013 with the intention of taking both, after minimum ownership of 12 months. Caravan is going, we have our import authority, but regarding the car, it turns out that many modifications would be needed and tests performed beacause it's not a standard model that Australia recognise! Therefore it is more economical to sell car here and buy new when in Oz! 

Hopefully when he gets his new car, he'll just have fond memories of his Yeti ?

Geoff & Gill

Hi Geoff & Gill, we fully intended taking both our cars but the first problem we hit was that one car wouldn't be able to have Sat Nav updated (making it more difficult to sell when we changed it)  and the other only a year old could, but whereas the sums made sense had we been going with our 143,  having now to put it in to storage here plus the fact that it would be older and therefore less valuable if and when it could be shipped it didn't seem worth the hassle, the problem we all have is not knowing how long things will have to be in store awaiting the 143 whilst being in Oz on 600 visa.  Frustrating!

3 hours ago, clarkesville1 said:

Think I would leave  it near the time. Visa's seem to be changing fast who knows what the waiting time will be and at what higher cost, which is highly anticipated. You could always message Alan Collett at Go Matilda, free first consultation I believe 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clarkesville1 said:

Hi Clarkesville

It never hurts to speak to an agent, but to be honest, PomsinOZ has provided us with the best info so far. Given that your daughter has to have been a permanent resident for a minimum of 2 years, you'l be fully up to speed with all the relevant info. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Good luck Nana Jan, we are not far behind you, we have exchanged on house and fly two days after completion in late July. I was interested  that you have arranged post re-direct - to Australia? or do you have family in uk? We do not now have any close family in UK and have been cancelling everything and could give a friends address for bank etc., but I hope the post office can just put a stop on all the rest. There is such a lot to think about but we are making progress. Not good news that staff on visa processing are being cutback, it can't be an easy job with everyone complaining and now some may lose their jobs. 

I hope it works out for you and everyone else, we decided to drink our wine stock but now it has gone down so much we will have to buy more! 

I know what you mean on the wine front. I'm just getting ready for a night out with the girls from work. Couple of cocktails first then a nice pasta, and wine, at the local Italian.

I have had the post redirected to my brother in the UK but there shouldn't be too much. All of our banking 'stuff' comes electronically and as I've been closing things I've asked for electronic final accounts. There is an option on the redirect form to have it sent worldwide so you could do it for a few months if you wanted to.

Good luck with it all. This last bit is flying by.......almost too fast bizarrely!!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Hi Geoff & Gill, we fully intended taking both our cars but the first problem we hit was that one car wouldn't be able to have Sat Nav updated (making it more difficult to sell when we changed it)  and the other only a year old could, but whereas the sums made sense had we been going with our 143,  having now to put it in to storage here plus the fact that it would be older and therefore less valuable if and when it could be shipped it didn't seem worth the hassle, the problem we all have is not knowing how long things will have to be in store awaiting the 143 whilst being in Oz on 600 visa.  Frustrating!

Hi, unfortunately we were caught up in VW dieselgate! Although modified software has been installed, the model Yeti we own is a higher powered engine than the Aussie version. They have frowned upon all VW Diesel engines and made it clear that ours would require special consideration . Can't be bothered with the hassle either. We're happy having our caravan in storage as prices over there are very high for our van and our shipper is happy to collect it for us from storage point when our visa is finally issued. Plus it will be a good way of conveying all Geoff's tools. 

Geoff & Gill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoffandgill said:

Hi, we know what you mean! We have just returned from a lovely restful two weeks in Crete and are now back on the case! Having a shipping company coming today to take two boxes of summer clothes/ shoes to Oz. They should arrive just in time for spring.We are now in the process of packing the last couple of boxes to put in storage and in our caravan which will await shipping once 143s are issued. We leave our rented flat on 14th June to stay with friends till 18th when we fly. Geoff is still contemplating having to sell his car, which he loves! See you soon! Where in Melbourne area are heading?

Geoff & Gill

It's all a bit frantic isn't it but I'm sure the holiday helped. Our daughter lives in Oakleigh so we will be based there initially.

Looking forward to that drink on South Bank. Maybe we could even post a picture on here:D

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Geoffandgill said:

Hi, unfortunately we were caught up in VW dieselgate! Although modified software has been installed, the model Yeti we own is a higher powered engine than the Aussie version. They have frowned upon all VW Diesel engines and made it clear that ours would require special consideration . Can't be bothered with the hassle either. We're happy having our caravan in storage as prices over there are very high for our van and our shipper is happy to collect it for us from storage point when our visa is finally issued. Plus it will be a good way of conveying all Geoff's tools. 

Geoff & Gill

The last time I was in Oz I was chatting to a chap who shipped his car over. He basically said that unless you had a total love affair with your car, don't bother - it wasn't worth the hassle!:D

• Like 2

Hi All,

As we applied in Dec 2014 our projected 34 months is due October ( yeahhh) as per the immi site.

Is that projection a start date or completed by date , anyone know ?

we have heard nothing from anyone about AOS , medicals etc so looking at the dates with a squint if its going to be completed by then as its still showing a now processing date of 3rd October ... :/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Hi All,

As we applied in Dec 2014 our projected 34 months is due October ( yeahhh) as per the immi site.

we have heard nothing from anyone about AOS , medicals etc so looking at the dates with a squint if its going to be completed by then as its still showing a now processing date of 3rd October ... :/

We haven't heard anything either but we did our Police checks a couple of weeks ago so that would be one less thing to think about when we do hear.

I think they are only updating monthly now, so the beginning of June should give us a better clue. If it still hasn't moved, there could well be tears!! :(

Who knows anything anymore?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Hi All,

Supposed to be for completion by 34mths. If you look at @Catlady2014 timeframe at bottom of her posts. Give you an idea of times when things have been lodged/competed etc.,  At least you are on the home run unlike a lot of us ?

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Are you 8 weeks behind? A teeny bit of light at the end of the tunnel for you, but you won't need sunglasses just yet!?

Yep. On Catlady's timeframe we would have been contacted end of March/beginning of April.............

We certainly need our sunglasses here todayB|:)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

latest update from immi 13th oct 2014

I applied on 10 October 2014 and today I got request from case officer for additional documents such as form 80 (haven't asked during AOS & Medical request), asked for new passport details cause it might be less than 6 months validity when they will grant visa, etc.

Hi Catlady2014,

have you asked to further documents or 2nd VAC payment. You are 10 days ahead of me :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, clerk85 said:

I applied on 10 October 2014 and today I got request from case officer for additional documents such as form 80 (haven't asked during AOS & Medical request), asked for new passport details cause it might be less than 6 months validity when they will grant visa, etc.

Hi Catlady2014,

have you asked to further documents or 2nd VAC payment. You are 10 days ahead of me :)

Not yet.  ?  My passport has less than 6 months left on it but that's not been mentioned either.  

2 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

Have you got an agent?  Or doing it yourselves?

That's a good question. We submitted the original application through an agent in Australia but he has subsequently moved and is exceedingly difficult to get any response from.

I have emailed the Department direct to advise them that we are moving over on a tourist visa and given them our contact details in Oz. I've also asked them to contact me direct as I have little or no confidence in receiving anything from the agent.

Therefore the answer is...I'm not really sure!