Jump to content
Guest guest36187

The Brand New PIO Parents Visa thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

Me too. Also,which staff are going to process the new one. Doubt they have employed any extra staff! 

Sorry to be downbeat - I see the effective demise of a visa class via processing times rather than cancelling, per the 103 :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic, at this rate we will may end up applying for the aged parent visa !!!!!

Wasn't the point of increasing the CPV fees to prevent parents willing to pay the substantial extra costs, having to wait years for the NCPV. Surely at some point, they will have to address these waiting times with more gusto. I think once the CPV waiting room reaches 3 years, which incidentally, seems inevitable, future applicants may think twice about applying. This will of course bring the waiting time down, but will also mean allot less $90K + payments being put into the OZ economy.

  • Like 2

143 visa. Lodged 1st June 2016 First payment 1st June

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bry45 said:

Fantastic, at this rate we will may end up applying for the aged parent visa !!!!!

Wasn't the point of increasing the CPV fees to prevent parents willing to pay the substantial extra costs, having to wait years for the NCPV. Surely at some point, they will have to address these waiting times with more gusto. I think once the CPV waiting room reaches 3 years, which incidentally, seems inevitable, future applicants may think twice about applying. This will of course bring the waiting time down, but will also mean allot less $90K + payments being put into the OZ economy.

The problem is that the productivity commission recently estimated the cost to the Australian taxpayer per CPV at considerably more than the cost (I think an average lifetime cost of AUD $350k+ vs a cost of AUD $50k).  

I appreciate that your circumstances are different where you would be able to work and contribute but there are a lot of parents that are not in that position, or even use all assets to pay the fee and then have nothing left.

It's quite politically contentious here at the moment, but on the bright side I understand anyone who has their application submitted for a 143 would be highly unlikely to see a rise on their second VAC payment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

The problem is that the productivity commission recently estimated the cost to the Australian taxpayer per CPV at considerably more than the cost (I think an average lifetime cost of AUD $350k+ vs a cost of AUD $50k).  

I appreciate that your circumstances are different where you would be able to work and contribute but there are a lot of parents that are not in that position, or even use all assets to pay the fee and then have nothing left.

It's quite politically contentious here at the moment, but on the bright side I understand anyone who has their application submitted for a 143 would be highly unlikely to see a rise on their second VAC payment.

Yes, I think they will increase the 143 visa cost significantly, in the hope people won't bother and do this new one!

Therefore, we could just be luckier than we currently think! 

  • Like 2

143 lodged 17 March 2016. Perth bound

5 Feb 20 request for further info.11 Feb - Medical /Form 80. 17 Feb -AoS submitted. 27 Feb -Police checks. 4 Mar -BG requested. 6 Mar - bond cert to Centrelink.13 Mar AoS approved

12 NOV 20 -2ND VAC REQUEST !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kathss56 said:

Yes, I think they will increase the 143 visa cost significantly, in the hope people won't bother and do this new one!

Therefore, we could just be luckier than we currently think! 

Exactly - better to be in the queue than not!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have started thinking about logistics.

Originally we considered selling everything and just taking a few boxes of sentimental items and clothes, which was very appealing and liberating.

But our son was horrified, and so my husband is now planing to take everything, including car, motorbike and kitchen sink.

He has experience (through work) of container transport and loading/unloading, so a diy approach is feasible.

My only slight concern is about the 'fumigation' process, as my husband says they pump the container full of toxic gas.

Anyone know if 'fumigation' will damage household items like soft furnishings? or is this something that happens to all items entering Australia?  


173 Visa lodged - March 2016

Documents submitted / medicals completed – May 2020

2nd VAC payment - October 2020

173 Visa granted - October 2020

143 Visa lodged - October 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SusieRoo said:

We have started thinking about logistics.

Originally we considered selling everything and just taking a few boxes of sentimental items and clothes, which was very appealing and liberating.

But our son was horrified, and so my husband is now planing to take everything, including car, motorbike and kitchen sink.

He has experience (through work) of container transport and loading/unloading, so a diy approach is feasible.

My only slight concern is about the 'fumigation' process, as my husband says they pump the container full of toxic gas.

Anyone know if 'fumigation' will damage household items like soft furnishings? or is this something that happens to all items entering Australia?  

There is no fumigation automatically.  Correctly label your items and then customs will have a good look.  They went through about 40% of ours. If they find something they don't like they will let you know - we had no issues, including old wooden furniture.

In terms of bringing everything - we have found that stuff we thought we didn't need we have bought again so there is method to bringing the lot.  Bringing vehicles I think has a separate thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

We have started thinking about logistics.

Originally we considered selling everything and just taking a few boxes of sentimental items and clothes, which was very appealing and liberating.

But our son was horrified, and so my husband is now planing to take everything, including car, motorbike and kitchen sink.

He has experience (through work) of container transport and loading/unloading, so a diy approach is feasible.

My only slight concern is about the 'fumigation' process, as my husband says they pump the container full of toxic gas.

Anyone know if 'fumigation' will damage household items like soft furnishings? or is this something that happens to all items entering Australia?  

I too have container shipping through work. Maersk Line. My memory seems to tell me about £4K for a 20' or was it a 40' ?

Edited by Kathss56

143 lodged 17 March 2016. Perth bound

5 Feb 20 request for further info.11 Feb - Medical /Form 80. 17 Feb -AoS submitted. 27 Feb -Police checks. 4 Mar -BG requested. 6 Mar - bond cert to Centrelink.13 Mar AoS approved

12 NOV 20 -2ND VAC REQUEST !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I too have container shipping through work. Maersk Line. My memory seems to tell me about £4K for a 20' or was it a 40' ?

My daughter and family moved out to Oz on Monday.   They used Pickfords who came and took everything, packed it and put it in secure container.   Friends who are already there recommended them.   They were brilliant, so efficient and nice.   They will delivery it and unpack and position it at the other end as well.   We were very impressed with their service. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

We have started thinking about logistics.

Originally we considered selling everything and just taking a few boxes of sentimental items and clothes, which was very appealing and liberating.

But our son was horrified, and so my husband is now planing to take everything, including car, motorbike and kitchen sink.

He has experience (through work) of container transport and loading/unloading, so a diy approach is feasible.

My only slight concern is about the 'fumigation' process, as my husband says they pump the container full of toxic gas.

Anyone know if 'fumigation' will damage household items like soft furnishings? or is this something that happens to all items entering Australia?  

Seems very wise to take as much as you can.  My son moved over taking little but then wished he had taken everything including his Audi TT! My daughter then took everything and advises me to do likewise, because ultimately the cost of transporting extras is very little.  Also, if in the end you find that items aren't needed over there then you can always sell them on Gumtree which is really big in Oz.  You will be able to sell for more than you could sell for in the UK and you will also be paid in AUD. There is a separate forum on pominoz called "what would you do diffently", with numerous entries from folks who wished they had taken more over, particularly since the costs of rebuying are pretty high.

All this said, it still makes total sense to get rid of stuff which you have simply accumulated and will definitely never need or use.  Basically dejunk.  I  seem to have spent the last few weeks shredding paper.  I have just put my house up for sale and the agents can't believe how tidy and uncluttered both the house and garage are! 

  • Like 2

Angela (AMP).

143 lodged 10/12/15. Acknowledgement received by email 14/12/15.  Moved to Brisbane 6/10/17 on 600 visa.  Contact requesting submission of further info and AOS on 8/8/19.  Medical 22/8/19, form 80 30/8/19, police clearances 6/9/19. AOS bond lodged 13/11/19  and accepted 18/11/19. 2nd VAC request 23/1/20, payment 28/1/20.  Email from Immi 4/2/20, visa agreed, just need to leave the country for it to be awarded!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ferrets said:

The problem is that the productivity commission recently estimated the cost to the Australian taxpayer per CPV at considerably more than the cost (I think an average lifetime cost of AUD $350k+ vs a cost of AUD $50k).  

I appreciate that your circumstances are different where you would be able to work and contribute but there are a lot of parents that are not in that position, or even use all assets to pay the fee and then have nothing left.

It's quite politically contentious here at the moment, but on the bright side I understand anyone who has their application submitted for a 143 would be highly unlikely to see a rise on their second VAC payment.

Actually , most of the parents sponsored for the CPV do have children who are skilled and therefore in the high tax brackets who are ALREADY making  a significant contribution to the Australian economy. So isn't it fair to accept their parents ( after paying AUD 50k EACH)  without considering them as a liability. The productivity commission report is just a political 'thing' to keep the welfare dependent and low income earners happy or else they won't be able to maintain their allowances. 

Edited by Bear2015
  • Like 2

My parents lodged 173 on 2nd Oct 2015. Docs request for form 80, police clearance and medicals on 6th Feb 2019. Docs emailed to PVC team on 26th Mar 2019. Request  for  new Police Reports from Birth-: 24th July 2019. 2nd Vac request: 26th Aug 2019. VISA GRANT: 27th Aug 2019.

173 to 143 Visa Conversion:

143 Visa Applied 1st OCt 2019, Acknowledge: 3rd Oct 2019,  AOS requested 12th Dec 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I've lodged CPV for my mum and a dependant younger brother on 9/2015. My parent has managed to obtain a visitor visa to travel back and forth in Australia, However, my younger brother still stay in hometown to study Uni.
Is my brother allowed to apply a student visa to study TAFE here while he and my mum are waiting the final decision from DIBP? He is planning to study TAFE after the CPV granted anyway,

My concern is that DIBP may reject the student visa to my younger brother as they may think my brother doesn't wanna go back his hometown. Can you please share your thought
Regards

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bear2015 said:

Actually , most of the parents sponsored for the CPV do have children who are skilled and therefore in the high tax brackets who are ALREADY making  a significant contribution to the Australian economy. So isn't it fair to accept their parents ( after paying AUD 50k EACH)  without considering them as a liability. The productivity commission report is just a political 'thing' to keep the welfare dependent and low income earners happy or else they won't be able to maintain their allowances. 

I appreciate your point, which covers my personal circumstances, but it's a long shot to say that most children on skilled visas are higher rate tax payers, which I would doubt.  Remember that skilled visas are based on employment requirements not salary!

It's also important to frame that whilst this thread focuses on parents moving from the UK, there are obviously parents moving from diverse nations, with different demographics and financial means.

Agree that this is a political 'thing' but I don't think it is going to go away, and whilst it may feel unfair the best place to be is in the queue!

Edited by Ferrets
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all agree the best place to be is in the queue, which is indeed fair and I for one am glad to be in it. However, I believe continually increasing the queue time isn't fair. The criteria for the visas hasn't changed for some time, I therefore assume that the government did not anticipate all allocated visas to be applied for and staffed the department accordingly, rather than allocate more staff (case officers) to deal with the applications, it appears there current answer is to come up with a new visa, which will undoubtedly generate more revenue, but who is going to deal with these 15,000 visas if they are all applied for?

I accept there are parents moving from other countries and I'm sure those parents are equally frustrated with the increasing queue times, but this is PomsinOz and we are Poms wanting to move to OZ and utilising the input and advice from all our fellow Poms in the same position (or already there) the best way we can to get there as quickly as we can. 

I don't think there are any politics here, well not from me, just good and healthy debating of the matter resulting in opinions on how we believe the queue could be shortened, or prevented from getting longer. 

  • Like 2

143 visa. Lodged 1st June 2016 First payment 1st June

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bry45 said:

We all agree the best place to be is in the queue, which is indeed fair and I for one am glad to be in it. However, I believe continually increasing the queue time isn't fair. The criteria for the visas hasn't changed for some time, I therefore assume that the government did not anticipate all allocated visas to be applied for and staffed the department accordingly, rather than allocate more staff (case officers) to deal with the applications, it appears there current answer is to come up with a new visa, which will undoubtedly generate more revenue, but who is going to deal with these 15,000 visas if they are all applied for?

I accept there are parents moving from other countries and I'm sure those parents are equally frustrated with the increasing queue times, but this is PomsinOz and we are Poms wanting to move to OZ and utilising the input and advice from all our fellow Poms in the same position (or already there) the best way we can to get there as quickly as we can. 

I don't think there are any politics here, well not from me, just good and healthy debating of the matter resulting in opinions on how we believe the queue could be shortened, or prevented from getting longer. 

It is frustrating having to queue, then worst still is never knowing how long we will be queuing for.

But it’s not really fair to blame the immigration staff. They just work to a goverment “cap” which is currently at 7175 people (not applications) per year. And they simply work pro-rata, and process approximately 600 successful parents per month.

There was a recommendation in 2016 to reduce the ‘cap’, which could add years onto the processing time for 173 / 143 visas. (This is perceived as a good way to stop parents applying and save Australian taxpayers money)

Unfortunately it is just about politics and we are all at the mercy of The Hon Peter Dutton MP.

So as bad as it feels, I am just thankful to be in a 30-month queue. I fear it will be a lot worse for future applicants (and a lot more expensive).  

But we all share your frustrations.

  • Like 5

173 Visa lodged - March 2016

Documents submitted / medicals completed – May 2020

2nd VAC payment - October 2020

173 Visa granted - October 2020

143 Visa lodged - October 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It is frustrating having to queue, then worst still is never knowing how long we will be queuing for.
But it’s not really fair to blame the immigration staff. They just work to a goverment “cap” which is currently at 7175 people (not applications) per year. And they simply work pro-rata, and process approximately 600 successful parents per month.
There was a recommendation in 2016 to reduce the ‘cap’, which could add years onto the processing time for 173 / 143 visas. (This is perceived as a good way to stop parents applying and save Australian taxpayers money)
Unfortunately it is just about politics and we are all at the mercy of The Hon Peter Dutton MP.

So as bad as it feels, I am just thankful to be in a 30-month queue. I fear it will be a lot worse for future applicants (and a lot more expensive).  
But we all share your frustrations.


Well said

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

It is frustrating having to queue, then worst still is never knowing how long we will be queuing for.

But it’s not really fair to blame the immigration staff. They just work to a goverment “cap” which is currently at 7175 people (not applications) per year. And they simply work pro-rata, and process approximately 600 successful parents per month.

There was a recommendation in 2016 to reduce the ‘cap’, which could add years onto the processing time for 173 / 143 visas. (This is perceived as a good way to stop parents applying and save Australian taxpayers money)

Unfortunately it is just about politics and we are all at the mercy of The Hon Peter Dutton MP.

 

So as bad as it feels, I am just thankful to be in a 30-month queue. I fear it will be a lot worse for future applicants (and a lot more expensive).  

But we all share your frustrations.

 

34mth queue now ? Nice to know we can go over on a 600 if needed, which they say officers are encouraged to grant ?

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removing reference to external site.
  • Like 4

143 lodged 17 March 2016. Perth bound

5 Feb 20 request for further info.11 Feb - Medical /Form 80. 17 Feb -AoS submitted. 27 Feb -Police checks. 4 Mar -BG requested. 6 Mar - bond cert to Centrelink.13 Mar AoS approved

12 NOV 20 -2ND VAC REQUEST !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Test email today is still showing '3rd October 2014' so no movement this week.

The new financial year starts on the 1st of July.

Can we assume that 2016-17 Migration Program year is now full?


173 Visa lodged - March 2016

Documents submitted / medicals completed – May 2020

2nd VAC payment - October 2020

173 Visa granted - October 2020

143 Visa lodged - October 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Test email today is still showing '3rd October 2014' so no movement this week.

The new financial year starts on the 1st of July.

Can we assume that 2016-17 Migration Program year is now full?

The date hasn't moved for a couple of weeks, but that's perfectly normal unfortunately.  I wouldn't read anything into it.  

 


CPV 1.10.2014, 1st VAC 31.10.2014, Receipt 31.10.2014, Acknowledged 28.2.15

Form 80 - 26.1.2017, Police check 4.2.2017, Medical 21.2.17 (with DIBP 24.2.17)

AoS commenced 17.2.17, approved 19.4.17, bond lodged 28.4.17, acceptance 9.5.2017

2nd VAC requested 19.9.2017.  Visa granted 28.9.17

Brisbane area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, does anyone know the correct address to send a notification form of a change of passport, please?


1st Vac 5/12/14

AOS/police checks etc requested 02/08/17

2nd Vac requested 3/9/17

Visas granted 16/10/17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BrendaM said:

Hi all, does anyone know the correct address to send a notification form of a change of passport, please?

Can only find this Brenda 

at the bottom of the confirmation email you have from immi when you first applied 

its say complete and submit form 1022

Edited by Kathss56

143 lodged 17 March 2016. Perth bound

5 Feb 20 request for further info.11 Feb - Medical /Form 80. 17 Feb -AoS submitted. 27 Feb -Police checks. 4 Mar -BG requested. 6 Mar - bond cert to Centrelink.13 Mar AoS approved

12 NOV 20 -2ND VAC REQUEST !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parent visa office address is on the bottom of email -in Perth 


143 lodged 17 March 2016. Perth bound

5 Feb 20 request for further info.11 Feb - Medical /Form 80. 17 Feb -AoS submitted. 27 Feb -Police checks. 4 Mar -BG requested. 6 Mar - bond cert to Centrelink.13 Mar AoS approved

12 NOV 20 -2ND VAC REQUEST !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Can only find this Brenda 

at the bottom of the confirmation email you have from immi when you first applied 

its say complete and submit form 1022

Thanks Kath!

 


1st Vac 5/12/14

AOS/police checks etc requested 02/08/17

2nd Vac requested 3/9/17

Visas granted 16/10/17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Immi only like electronic correspondence so just email the correct form to them. That is what our agent did with our change of address. You will have to fill in the most up to date information when you fill in the Form 80 but you should still let them know the changes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×