Guest guest36187

48 minutes ago, Suzyq said:

Fair enough Alan! When my husband is home, we'll be in touch. 

Thanks, Sue 

Hi Sue, hope the following may help. I googled our query and immediately came up with www.bobinoz.com/blog/17873/individual-income-tax-rates-australia-and-uk-compared-201516/

he gives a lot of info that might be of use

Geoff & Gill

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sadge said:

Information for former visa holders/ taxpayers.

Just in case anybody is in a similar odd situation that I was, I thought I would offer the following information.

When I was in my 20s I was a "10 pound pom", lived in Australia for a while, had a job etc.

When I returned to the UK I wasn't aware that it might be possible to retain my right of residence by making regular trips - I think it was something like a visit every nine years or something.  This was never of any interest anyway as I never envisaged wanting to return.

Anyway.  Having worked in Australia I had a tax number but after nearly 50 years didn't have a record of it, but after a little bit of googling, found an application form for an ATN (Australian Tax Number), filled it in, including vague information of my entry/exit dates and within a week I received my original ATN from the tax office!

I subsequently realised that I might one day need physical evidence of my previous visa (details of which were long gone, together with my old passport with the visa actually stamped in it (those were the days!).  A telephone call to the National Archives in Canberra and a lovely chat to the most friendly and helpful person imaginable resulted in him emailing me a copy of my entry card, together with the original visa number and passport number.  My exit details will be available after July when they have finished inputting all the details into the computer system of 1968 records.  

Can you imagine getting such amazing, friendly, prompt responses from the Inland Revenue/DSS?

Thank you for sharing this story, it makes me happy to be moving to Australia.

I have read that conditions were very tough for many £10 Poms. My husband lived in Australia in his 20's and likes to tell me how he lodged in an old tin hut built for immigrants, which was unbearably hot in the day and cold at night.

I wonder how long the queue would be now if they still had £10 tickets?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Geoffandgill said:

Hi Sue, hope the following may help. I googled our query and immediately came up with www.bobinoz.com/blog/17873/individual-income-tax-rates-australia-and-uk-compared-201516/

he gives a lot of info that might be of use

Geoff & Gill

Thank you Geoffandgill for the bobinoz webiste referral - it has lots of useful info on it and is nicely written (with humour). Also good to see some progress recently from people I've been following (Catlady2014 for one) Best of luck everyone and here's hoping the waiting list shortens soon!

• Like 2

On 5/7/2017 at 4:44 AM, daveedley said:

We opened a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank before our visa was granted. You are right that you cannot withdraw money until you go in person to your bank branch (you can do this on a visitor visa). This is a government dictate to prevent money laundering. We sorted the application out with the Commonwealth Bank branch in the UK who were very helpful.

For those recently asking about Australian Bank Accounts I can tell you about my experience. Whilst on holiday I visited a Commonwealth Bank branch with my passport and asked to open an account using my sons Australian address. I deposited a few hundred dollars and after about 10 minutes walked out with a new account and a temporary card for the cashpoint. My ‘official’ card arrived within a few days at my son’s address.

I have transferred more money over the past few years and am able to do online banking the same as my UK Account. If I change any details or make online payments the Comm Bank send a text to my UK mobile and it comes through within seconds. I was able to set up 1 year and 2 year saving accounts on line – probably easier than my UK account would have allowed. My dealings with Comm bank have always been excellent.

• Like 5

Thank you Paolo, we're going over in July so I will try again. This time I will have a visitor visa so they should accept that anyway. My own UK bank, HSBC has asked how much we're transferring how, when, how frequently etc etc etc! How long is a piece of string?! Still waiting to hear, it's only been about 2 weeks! I appreciate this is all to prevent money laundering, but really?!! I could even provide documentation on house sales but I don't get asked for that! 

Anyhow, I'm sure we'll be sorted soon, but thank you anyway.

• Like 1

I have recently read that the Australian government expect at least 15,000 a year to apply for this new 5-10yr parent visa??

I would imagine though, that these applicants are those that don't meet balance of family tests etc. Those who may want to return to their home country and remaining families? Not so sure now it will shorten the 143 list much.

However, it is good news that they seem to be readily granting visitor visa for up to 3yrs.  

Funny how time flies really, except when you are waiting for something in particular!!! ??

Edited by Kathss56

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

I have recently read that the Australian government expect at least 15,000 a year to apply for this new 5-10yr parent visa??

I would imagine though, that these applicants are those that don't meet balance of family tests etc. Those who may want to return to their home country and remaining families? Not so sure now it will shorten the 143 list much.

However, it is good news that they seem to be readily granting visitor visa for up to 3yrs.  

Funny how time flies really, except when you are waiting for something in peticular!!! ??

Call me a cynic if you will, but what's the incentive for an improvement in CP visa processing times if the Australian Government is raking in thousands of $'s from this new temporary parent visa?

Why not increase processing times for 143s so the Government ensures visa applicants come to Australia for 5+ years on a temporary parent visa?

Throw in the withdrawal of the CGT main residence exemption for temporary visa holders (announced in last week's Budget) and look who's now contributing to the repair of the Federal budget?

Hey ho.  Onwards and upwards!

Best regards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

Call me a cynic if you will, but what's the incentive for an improvement in CP visa processing times if the Australian Government is raking in thousands of $'s from this new temporary parent visa?

Why not increase processing times for 143s so the Government ensures visa applicants come to Australia for 5+ years on a temporary parent visa?

Throw in the withdrawal of the CGT main residence exemption for temporary visa holders (announced in last week's Budget) and look who's now contributing to the repair of the Federal budget?

Hey ho.  Onwards and upwards!

Best regards.

Hate to say it but you could be right Alan! ?

But, still hoping that those of us currently in the queue might not be affected toooo much! 

• Like 1

I'm probably going about this all wrong but I just can't wait any longer! I may have to apply for the 3 year temporary visa if my 600 visa comes through with a max of one year stay as I'm sure the current 33/36 month wait for the 143 won't reduce any if immigration are working in yet another visa type that will get a large uptake. Are the 600 visas for a period of 1 year stay only in any 18 months or is there a chance of receiving something different?! (Wishful thinking!)

(My sister took a driving test in an automatic car and a full licence was returned!) ;o)

I was just sat here thinking along the same lines and contemplating what will be !! There's little point in us applying for the new temp visa as I'm assuming it will be $5,000 each. As we are now 12 months in to our 143, the are only reasons preventing us from applying for a 600, a) the 6 months out of every 18 were we can't be in OZ and b) the fact that I can't work, which is really annoying as I'm quite happy to contribute the the OZ budget.

Alan, as I can work remotely, would it be possible for me to continue being employed in my current role whilst living/staying in OZ? I can transfer my employment status from being employed to being a consultant for which the company will be invoiced, any income I then get would be declared in OZ and taxed accordingly.

Thanks Kath, I had read this but wasn't sure about the chances are of getting something different from the 12 in 18 months returned. I'm sure my agent mentioned the possibility of getting different options back. This seems to be alluded to in the italics of the article....

Officers are encouraged to consider granting parents who have a history of compliant travel to Australia a Tourist stream visa with 3 year travel period, 12 month stay and multiple entry so that the parent can visit their family for longer periods on regular occasions.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any different options on their 600s? 

2 minutes ago, Suzyq said:

Thanks Kath, I had read this but wasn't sure about the chances are of getting something different from the 12 in 18 months returned. I'm sure my agent mentioned the possibility of getting different options back. This seems to be alluded to in the italics of the article....

Officers are encouraged to consider granting parents who have a history of compliant travel to Australia a Tourist stream visa with 3 year travel period, 12 month stay and multiple entry so that the parent can visit their family for longer periods on regular occasions.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any different options on their 600s? 

We have just recently had our 600 visas granted and the restriction clauses are 8101 " no work" and 8201 " max 3 months study"

We get a stay period of twelve months from date of each arrival, must not arrive after 12th May 2018 ( granted on 12th May 2017) and we have a travel facility of "multiple "

Hope this helps, Geoff & Gill

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bry45 said:

I was just sat here thinking along the same lines and contemplating what will be !! There's little point in us applying for the new temp visa as I'm assuming it will be $5,000 each. As we are now 12 months in to our 143, the are only reasons preventing us from applying for a 600, a) the 6 months out of every 18 were we can't be in OZ and b) the fact that I can't work, which is really annoying as I'm quite happy to contribute the the OZ budget.

Alan, as I can work remotely, would it be possible for me to continue being employed in my current role whilst living/staying in OZ? I can transfer my employment status from being employed to being a consultant for which the company will be invoiced, any income I then get would be declared in OZ and taxed accordingly.

Bry - the 600 Visa is clearly designed to be a Tourist Visa and does not usually permit work of any kind. Why not look at it from a different angle and enjoy your 'holiday' and a bit of travel but do occasional work for your UK 'employer' whilst on your sabbatical. The invoice can be raised in the UK for this consultancy work, paid into your UK Bank and any tax can also be paid there. You can enjoy your long holiday and put a dent in the 143 queue and also be gainfully employed as well. I guess like me you have been able to / had to work remotely whilst on your 'normal' month long Oz holidays anyway, so what is the difference? 

Edited by Paolo
missing word
  • Like 2

You make a valid point paolo, to be honest we are always looking at getting to OZ in the correct legal way and just want to do the right thing but definitely worth a discussion with the boss (the wife) as long as we in no way risk our 143 application, 

• Like 1

It’s been good to see some long-term contributors making some progress recently – given that the medical is the one ‘unknown’ factor in this process is anyone willing to share their general medical examination process experience with the group? (no personal details expected of course). Just be good to know how long it took to arrange / how long did it take / what was the Dr focused on / did they access medical records / was there a choice of venues etc Any info welcome.

• Like 2

I'm really interested to find out more about the medical.  We are 15 months into our 143 application and husband had a heart attack two months ago. He is well again thanks to prompt treatment - and a stent! Does this mean we will never pass the medical now however long it takes?

• Like 1

Thanks Geoff and Gill. I may be stuck then as I want to stay! I don't mind leaving and entering again but I want the time to be endless! Haha!

So, I stay for a couple off days short of 12 months and then I have to leave. Can I then apply for a 600 again I wonder?!

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

It’s been good to see some long-term contributors making some progress recently – given that the medical is the one ‘unknown’ factor in this process is anyone willing to share their general medical examination process experience with the group? (no personal details expected of course). Just be good to know how long it took to arrange / how long did it take / what was the Dr focused on / did they access medical records / was there a choice of venues etc Any info welcome.

When the time comes to do your medical, you will be given a HAP ID and will have a list of doctors/practices to choose from. I used one in Essex which was reasonably close and I could drive to it. You can fill in pre-medical replies to questions on line and the practice will have access to your replies ready for the exam.  This  also means that the practice can upload your results to Immi.  You will need your hap ID when you call the practice to make an appointment, and the practice that I used wanted the fee in advance, which I think was £275.  The appointment was very quick.  I was told to allow 2-3 hours for the exam but it was actually about 1 hour in total and included a chest x-ray, blood test for HIV, blood pressure, urine test, eye test, a brief discussion about the answers I had already provided on line, various things like touching your toes, holding arms out to the side, examination for moles and any evidence of drug abuse etc, breast examination, height and weight are taken too.  I don't think they accessed my medical records.  All over very quickly.   I don't think you HAVE to do the on line bit, it can be done on paper instead, but I think the advantage is that results are sent to Immi very quickly.  

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, tcau said:

I'm really interested to find out more about the medical.  We are 15 months into our 143 application and husband had a heart attack two months ago. He is well again thanks to prompt treatment - and a stent! Does this mean we will never pass the medical now however long it takes?

I think you would have to be almost at death's door not to pass the medical.  People do have existing conditions, that's life, very few people would be A1.  However, you should keep hold of all info you have in connection with your husband's treatment and take it with you to the medical.  If they need further info, they will ask.  

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

When the time comes to do your medical, you will be given a HAP ID and will have a list of doctors/practices to choose from. I used one in Essex which was reasonably close and I could drive to it. You can fill in pre-medical replies to questions on line and the practice will have access to your replies ready for the exam.  This  also means that the practice can upload your results to Immi.  You will need your hap ID when you call the practice to make an appointment, and the practice that I used wanted the fee in advance, which I think was £275.  The appointment was very quick.  I was told to allow 2-3 hours for the exam but it was actually about 1 hour in total and included a chest x-ray, blood test for HIV, blood pressure, urine test, eye test, a brief discussion about the answers I had already provided on line, various things like touching your toes, holding arms out to the side, examination for moles and any evidence of drug abuse etc, breast examination.  I don't think they accessed my medical records.  All over very quickly.   I don't think you HAVE to do the on line bit, it can be done on paper instead, but I think the advantage is that results are sent to Immi very quickly.  

Yes we found ours pretty much as described above. My husband had a few worries, prior to the medical one of which was high blood pressure. They took the view that as long as it was under control (two drugs) it was not a problem. We forgot one recent test result for a different condition but were able to email it the following day. 

We rang the Manchester clinic the day after the email arrived from immi and got an appointment for the next week. Very straightforward. 

• Like 3

Although the actual physical by the Panel Doctor is quite straight forward, do go prepared with every bit of paper relevant to any present/past condition/operation!  I had a very scary couple of days when I thought everything was going to be delayed (or even halted) as initially the Australian MO wasn't satisfied and wanted further tests and so forth following my medical.  Thankfully, I was able to obtain copies of  historic medical records and reports quite quickly, these were forwarded to the MO, were acceptable and all ended satisfactorily, but I wouldn't wish those few days on anybody!  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bry45 said:

Once you have your subclass 143 permanent residency visa, yes.

Until then I anticipate you would have a no work condition on the visa you would be using to enter Australia.

Best regards.