Guest guest36187

6 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/05/05/people-will-pay-it-more-details-australias-20000-parent-visa

"People will pay it"

SBS News: More details of the temporary parent visa - announced yesterday and costing up to $20,000 - have emerged.

There had been concern among applicants and migration agents that the temporary visa would replace the two permanent migration options – the government currently offers a $5,935 visa with a 30-year wait period and another for over $47,000 with a three-year wait period.

But while those options will remain, they could potentially see significant price rises in next week’s Budget, a measure recommended by the Productivity Commission last year.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

This is very worrying.

They are saying the real cost of each parent moving to Australia is around $300k.

With your experience, how do you think they may implement a price increase for 173/143 visas?

Do you think this rise will taper in over 2/3 years?

Or do you think the second VAC price will just go up in next weeks budget?

Clearly you don't wish to alarm anyone, but your best guess would be appreciated.

Sue

17 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Hi Alan,

This is very worrying.

They are saying the real cost of each parent moving to Australia is around $300k.

With your experience, how do you think they may implement a price increase for 173/143 visas?

Clearly you don't wish to alarm anyone, but your best guess would be appreciated.

Sue

In the past the price you pay is the price it was when you lodged, so hoping this will still be the case ?!

21 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

In the past the price you pay is the price it was when you lodged, so hoping this will still be the case ?!

I hope so too.

We applied for a 173 in April 2016 to spread to cost and so we don't have to sell the house before we actually move.

Now I am now worried that even if we beat the price rise on our 173, we might then have to pay much much more for our 173 to 143 visa.

I wonder if we can change our application to a 143 midstream, without going to the back of the queue?

Also, I guess if anyone who is thinking about applying for a 143 visa, now has 3 days to beat any price rises.

2 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

I hope so too.

We applied for a 173 in April 2016 to spread to cost and so we don't have to sell the house before we actually move.

Now I am now worried that even if we beat the price rise on our 173, we might then have to pay much much more for our 173 to 143 visa.

I wonder if we can change our application to a 143 midstream, without going to the back of the queue?

Also, I guess if anyone who is thinking about applying for a 143 visa, now has 3 days to beat any price rises.

Maybe @Alan Collett can advise you if you can change midstream. But with only 3 days left??

None of us will have any hair left with this pesky visa process!! :S

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

Maybe @Alan Collett can advise you if you can change midstream. But with only 3 days left??

None of us will have any hair left with this pesky visa process!! :S

Yes, you are right; this is a pesky visa process, and very frustrating trying to second-guess how this will play-out, while planning the biggest move of out lives.

And this is when we are still not even half way through the process.

When I first started reading these posts I was surprised at all the references to drinking wine. Now I am starting to understand why! (is it too early for a glass now?).

And we still have the infamous form 80 to complete and we have to continue practicing counting backwards in sevens for our medicals.

Any changes in next week budget, is going to feel like they just moved the goal posts. And I guess this is a feeling we are going to experience many time in the next two years.

I think for us, the overriding factor is knowing that somehow and at some point in the future, our family will be whole again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

I hope so too.

I am having the same concerns as we also applied for the 173. I am terribly worried that they will increase the 173 to 143 charge. It's so pathetic the way they treat the immigrants parents . After all, everyone knows that the skilled migrants contribute the most in way of taxes. But this government is treating parents like helpless poor beggars. It's so sad.  

Edited by Bear2015
  • Like 1

I truly hope that someone in immigration read these posts. I think it's totally disgusting how they can play with people emotions. 

We are Parents Who want to Work and not live off the government. We've bought up our children that way and that's why they have done so well. We are willing to pay the fee for the 143. But i think it's diabolical if the fee increases mid term. 

For thoes Parents who have gone over with the 173 I'm truly worried for. As when they need to apply for the 143 I hope the fee will not change for them when they first applied. It sure is a stressful process but I keep saying to myself it will be so worth it, being with loved ones again.

This is what SBS News Au had to say. 

The government is remaining tight-lipped on the finer details of a new temporary parent visa announced yesterday, which will be officially outlined in Tuesday’s Budget.

But SBS World News understands the new temporary visa - which allows migrant parents to stay in Australia for up to 10 years, and costs up to $20,000 - will sit alongside current visa options, rather than replace them.

There had been concern among applicants and migration agents that the temporary visa would replace the two permanent migration options – the government currently offers a $5,935 visa with a 30-year wait period and another for over $47,000 with a three-year wait period.

But while those options will remain, they could potentially see significant price rises in next week’s Budget, a measure recommended by the Productivity Commission last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JesseyJ said:

I truly hope that someone in immigration read these posts. I think it's totally disgusting how they can play with people emotions. 

We are Parents Who want to Work and not live off the government. We've bought up our children that way and that's why they have done so well. We are willing to pay the fee for the 143. But i think it's diabolical if the fee increases mid term. 

For thoes Parents who have gone over with the 173 I'm truly worried for. As when they need to apply for the 143 I hope the fee will not change for them when they first applied. It sure is a stressful process but I keep saying to myself it will be so worth it, being with loved ones again.

This is what SBS News Au had to say. 

The government is remaining tight-lipped on the finer details of a new temporary parent visa announced yesterday, which will be officially outlined in Tuesday’s Budget.

But SBS World News understands the new temporary visa - which allows migrant parents to stay in Australia for up to 10 years, and costs up to $20,000 - will sit alongside current visa options, rather than replace them.

Although we are both retired we are in receipt of decent pensions which we have worked hard all our lives for.  We will also be paying Australian taxes and certainly do not intend to be filling up the doctors waiting rooms.  Still fit and healthy thank goodness.  

• Like 3

Hi everyone, I have not posted for a long time, well, actually since submitting my visa which is a 173 back in June 2015, but I have been reading the posts with a varying degree of interest and worry then depression!

I have been wanting to emigrate to Australia for the last 25 years, as my brothers and sister live there, and I always thought that this was an impossible dream for me and my husband. But 6 years ago my daughter went on a working holiday visa, and never came back! Since then she has got residency and is sponsoring us to come over. She has no children, but has a business that we are going to help with, so we will not be a burden on the Australian government, we will be helping to contribute to the system. Although I know we will not be able to work until we get residency we are helping in other ways, by supporting her.

I too think it's unfair to say that (aged) parents will be a burden on the Australian system. We want to work, but are in a position that we can get by without.

We have sold up and are coming out on a tourist visa and then getting a bridging visa to tide us over, as I think that we will not get a CO until xmas or the new year the way things stand.

I am worried about the costs of the visas going up, as this has an impact on our savings and investments. As I'm sure it does for most of the parents who have been posting on here.

The only comfort in this is that we are not alone in this situation, but I wish that non of us have to go through this at all.

p.s I've ditched the wine and now on the gin!

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Aquamarine said:

Hi everyone, I have not posted for a long time, well, actually since submitting my visa which is a 173 back in June 2015, but I have been reading the posts with a varying degree of interest and worry then depression!

I have been wanting to emigrate to Australia for the last 25 years, as my brothers and sister live there, and I always thought that this was an impossible dream for me and my husband. But 6 years ago my daughter went on a working holiday visa, and never came back! Since then she has got residency and is sponsoring us to come over. She has no children, but has a business that we are going to help with, so we will not be a burden on the Australian government, we will be helping to contribute to the system. Although I know we will not be able to work until we get residency we are helping in other ways, by supporting her.

I too think it's unfair to say that (aged) parents will be a burden on the Australian system. We want to work, but are in a position that we can get by without.

We have sold up and are coming out on a tourist visa and then getting a bridging visa to tide us over, as I think that we will not get a CO until xmas or the new year the way things stand.

I am worried about the costs of the visas going up, as this has an impact on our savings and investments. As I'm sure it does for most of the parents who have been posting on here.

The only comfort in this is that we are not alone in this situation, but I wish that non of us have to go through this at all.

p.s I've ditched the wine and now on the gin!

The government doesn't take kindly to people going over on tourist visas expecting to stay - are you going to lie to them on your entry card? Not a great move especially as they are moving ahead with the new temporary visas - you might find yourself with a No further Stay stamp. If you're going anyway why not submit now and go over for a visit every now and then until you get your visa. Probably beat any price rise if you do it now too.

6 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I hope so too.

see other thread SBS reporting on new parent visa 

Edited by Kathss56

7 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Hi Alan,

This is very worrying.

Sue

Alan's reply on another thread 

It is highly improbable the 2nd VAC will be increased for CP visa applications already lodged - that's why we recommend that intending CP migrants submit their visa applications now, to lock in the current scale of Visa Application Charges.

Best regards.

Edited by Kathss56

Thank you for the udates re. Alan Collet.

I have just being reading the 2016 governments inquiry report ‘Migrant Intake into Australia’.

Here are a cople of extracts,

GovAu_report_screenshot.thumb.png.32d6722b177a077eeaaa5c13169bf2cf.png

GovAu_report_screenshot_2.thumb.png.5ccba724022d7d417fd3c8c324ba61dc.png

For full report see http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/migrant-intake/report

Clearly this is just a report with recommendations, and the government gets to chose if they implement these or not.

It is difficult to guess if or how this might affect existing applicant processing times.

I just hope they don’t reduce the number 173/143 visas places for 2017/8.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Thank you for the udates re. Alan Collet.

I have just being reading the 2016 governments inquiry report ‘Migrant Intake into Australia’.

Here are a cople of extracts,

GovAu_report_screenshot.thumb.png.32d6722b177a077eeaaa5c13169bf2cf.png

GovAu_report_screenshot_2.thumb.png.5ccba724022d7d417fd3c8c324ba61dc.png

For full report see http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/migrant-intake/report

Clearly this is just a report with recommendations, and the government gets to chose if they implement these or not.

It is difficult to guess if or how this might affect existing applicant processing times.

I just hope they don’t reduce the number 173/143 visas places for 2017/8.

They say it will reduce demand for CPV if they hike the price. So therefore, if you can't afford the higher priced one and don't want to stay for only 10yrs on this new visa - they are effectively closing the doors!

Hi my first posting so may be a bit garbled and include a number of topics! 

We have applied for a PCV 143, submitted only in October 2016. We were probably a bit premature but have sold our home and living in temporary accommodation. We were hanging our hopes on the new temporary visa expected in July this year (2017) to see us through to when we hope to get the 143. There so much uncertainty surrounding the new temp visa that I'm just about to apply for the Visitor visa 600 to allow me to stay for a year (hopefully). Does anyone know if you can apply for another 600 when the initial one expires? As we will still be some while away from getting the 143.

Then, as the £/$ rate is pretty good we were hoping to start transferring money into an Australian account. So far we've been unable to open an account with an Australian bank without having a visa other than an evisitor. My agent has discovered that the Commonwealth bank will apparently allow the opening of an account, but it cannot be used until we are in Australia. Prior to knowing this and in the meantime have jumped through hoops for our own bank, HSBC, and still waiting for a response from them. Has anyone else dealt with this issue and if so how did you go about it?

Finally, we're going to settle in Ellenbrook, Perth. Anyone else going that way?

Thanks for reading, Sue

6 minutes ago, Suzyq said:

We have applied for a PCV 143, submitted only in October 2016. We were probably a bit premature but have sold our home and living in temporary accommodation. We were hanging our hopes on the new temporary visa expected in July this year (2017) to see us through to when we hope to get the 143. There so much uncertainty surrounding the new temp visa that I'm just about to apply for the Visitor visa 600 to allow me to stay for a year (hopefully). Does anyone know if you can apply for another 600 when the initial one expires? As we will still be some while away from getting the 143.

Then, as the £/$ rate is pretty good we were hoping to start transferring money into an Australian account. So far we've been unable to open an account with an Australian bank without having a visa other than an evisitor. My agent has discovered that the Commonwealth bank will apparently allow the opening of an account, but it cannot be used until we are in Australia. Prior to knowing this and in the meantime have jumped through hoops for our own bank, HSBC, and still waiting for a response from them. Has anyone else dealt with this issue and if so how did you go about it?

Finally, we're going to settle in Ellenbrook, Perth. Anyone else going that way?

Thanks for reading, Sue

Hi

if you scroll back a couple of pages, 516 -518? There are answers on bank accounts and the 600 visa 

I'm heading to North Perth hopefully...eventually! 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

Regarding a bank account.  I'm pretty sure we opened a Westpac account in London, before we had our 143, then confirmed it when we arrived in Perth.  However, this was a few years ago, and due to our advancing years might have mis-remembered!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Suzyq said:

Thanks for reading, Sue

We opened a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank before our visa was granted. You are right that you cannot withdraw money until you go in person to your bank branch (you can do this on a visitor visa). This is a government dictate to prevent money laundering. We sorted the application out with the Commonwealth Bank branch in the UK who were very helpful.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses. All very helpful.

Another question from the uninitiated - how do I insert the history sign off that so many do at the bottom of any posting?!  Thanks, Sue

Edited by Suzyq
  • Like 1

Just now, Suzyq said:

Thanks for your responses. All very helpful.

Another question from the uninitiated - how do I insert the history sign off that so many do at the bottom of any posting?!  Thanks, Sue

Hi

go into your account settings and click signature from list. Type in pop up box etc. 

• Like 2

There's a very good butcher in Ellenbrook Suzyq, called Cutting Edge. (not a hairdressers) ?? Its next door to a shop selling fishy things.

We go there when in the area going to other places, 'cos we live in Ascot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Suzyq said:

Thanks Kathss56, I can't find that option on my iPad so will try on my laptop later.

Thanks Carob, I'll tell my daughter in law to take a look next week!

Very Top right corner where it has your name click there