Guest guest36187

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

I'm sure we all feel the same. I have lived in my current house for 26yrs now and dread the thought of selling up. But the big prize at the end is being with my only daughter. No more empty bereavement feeling! Be brave everyone ! We have already made a momentous decision! Best wishes to you all nearly there! 

That must be such a wrench leaving a house you've lived in all that time Kath.  This is the longest time we have lived in a house - we've moved every 2 or 3 years until now. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Geoffandgill said:

For us, selling our house, which we had lived in for over 38 years, caused us no feelings of heartache. Our eldest two children already lived abroad ( USA & Australia), so when our youngest moved to Australia in 2015, the house gradually stopped feeling like a family home, and more like a millstone round our neck. Although the house held memories, they were still with us, but we looked forward to the future more, especially our grandchildren growing up. For us, this was the best decision, but obviously everyone is different.

Geoff & Gill

We have the same problem with one daughter in USA and one in Australia. Unfortunately we have missed most of our grandchildren growing up - the eldest (of 3) in USA is now 22 and although we had her in the UK for her first year, since then it has just been annual visits which are just not the same.  The boys in Australia are 12 and 10 but we don't want to miss any more of their growing up.  So looking forward to being part of their lives.  Zee

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

We are heading for NSW  - I don't seem to be getting everyones dates etc., at the bottom of postings since the new system and my settings look ok, maybe because I am on an ipod at the moment, is everyone having this problem? Sue

Hi Sue,

There is a tick-box in Settings, Signature 'Show other people's signatures alongside their content'

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Nana Jan, we have the 12 month e600 visa think it was about £80 each, it gives more flexibility as it enables you to come and go in the 12 month period and if you leave at say 11 months when you re enter it gives you another 12 months ( only up to 2 years in total).Sue

Happy Easter to you too

17 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

We are heading for NSW  - I don't seem to be getting everyones dates etc., at the bottom of postings since the new system and my settings look ok, maybe because I am on an ipod at the moment, is everyone having this problem? Sue

The details show for me as long as I am signed in.  If I am looking at the site before signing in there are no details showing.  Zee

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Since the revamp you have to reset your show signature box

2 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Hi Nana Jan, we have the 12 month e600 visa think it was about £80 each, it gives more flexibility as it enables you to come and go in the 12 month period and if you leave at say 11 months when you re enter it gives you another 12 months ( only up to 2 years in total).Sue

Happy Easter to you too

Thank you. I think I'll apply for 12 months.

Although as we are travelling out 30 months after our lodgement date, I really hope we don't need that long.........:o

Hi Nana Jan

we came over on a 3 months visitor visa, went offshore to NZ for a holiday and then came back in again, went offshore again to get visa grant. If you sign up for Jetstar special offers they come out every Friday you will probably be able to pick up a cheap flight to somewhere in NZ. We also used Transfer Car whilst we were in NZ and did a cheap 5 days camper hire and then a car hire from Christchurch to Auckland. If you look at the Transfer car site you can pick up some really good deals based on one way hires. Our 4 berth campervan cost 200 AUD for 5 days and we had a car including inter island ferry for 5 AUD per day.

there is no requirement for health insurance on the 3 month visitor visa and i had no problem with getting reimbursed under the reciprocal agreement when I had to have treatment for something unexpected. I believe you have to take out health insurance if you have the 600 visa so that will be quite expensive.

good luck with everything and look forward to meeting up later in the year.

Julie

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geoffandgill said:

For us, selling our house, which we had lived in for over 38 years, caused us no feelings of heartache. Our eldest two children already lived abroad ( USA & Australia), so when our youngest moved to Australia in 2015, the house gradually stopped feeling like a family home, and more like a millstone round our neck. Although the house held memories, they were still with us, but we looked forward to the future more, especially our grandchildren growing up. For us, this was the best decision, but obviously everyone is different.

Geoff & Gill

We sold up and moved to the Mornington Peninsula Victoria nearly 9 years ago it was very hard leaving 2 sons and my elderly mother and our only granddaughter. But our daughters and husbands were heading here and we felt that it would be a far better life for them.  We were right in the last 6 years we have had 6 new grandchildren here and 1 more in the UK.  We have never regretted our decision, it is hard being so split  but we usually go back each year.  We got our CPV 4 years ago and are now citizens.  We have a lovely lifestyle so different from what it would have been had we been still in the UK, our little grandchildren keep us very busy.

• Like 5

Hi again Kath & Zee, checked my settings again and box definitely ticked to show signatures but not getting them! technology,  good when it works....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Hi again Kath & Zee, checked my settings again and box definitely ticked to show signatures but not getting them! technology,  good when it works....

Click account settings then click onto the pencil / signatures.  Then make sure it is a green tick on show all signatures. Then again not everyone has put signature on. lol 

15 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Have you ticked the 'Show other people's.....'?

1 hour ago, NanaJan said:

Hi Sue,

There is a tick-box in Settings, Signature 'Show other people's signatures alongside their content'

Hope this helps.

Edited by NanaJan
  • Like 2

Hey everyone,

It's been some time since I contributed to this thread. Great to see it up and running. I was getting random emails about the posts but today they were regular. Well done everyone involved in the update, it must have been quite daunting. 

It's a shame that the processing time has slipped a month, I was hoping that it had gained a month.On a positive note, at least we can see them now.

It's wonderful to see so many of you making plans for the summer. It's also a pleasure to hear from Julie and her experiences from making it on the other side of the whole process. I always enjoyed reading these posts because they were so informative and practical.

We (husband and I) asked a migration agent about the e600 visa as we were a little perplexed about how it works. I think I still am :)) I gathered from what she said that  you can only stay 12 months out of an 18 month period, 6 months of which must be spent out of Australia.  This tallies with what I read. We decided to just go for 3 month visa when we are ready. Although six months does sound wonderful. Best wishes to all that are heading out, have a great time. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that the processing time speeds up. 

Nita

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NanaJan said:

Have you ticked the 'Show other people's.....'?

Hi thank you everyone for you're help, I have found now however that they are showing on main computer just not on my ipad which I use most of the time! as you say not everyone adds it but it helps those of us who do. Sue

8 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

No, I'm not getting the by line at the bottom of people's posts any more either. I don't know where I got the idea but I thought you were off to Melbourne!  NSW is a big place but maybe one of these days when we're all happily installed in our new homes, we'll be able to organise a meet up.  Mean time, may the waiting pass quickly, may your flights all leave on schedule and may Coles never run out of sun cream. :D

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

No, I'm not getting the by line at the bottom of people's posts any more either. I don't know where I got the idea but I thought you were off to Melbourne!  NSW is a big place but maybe one of these days when we're all happily installed in our new homes, we'll be able to organise a meet up.  Mean time, may the waiting pass quickly, may your flights all leave on schedule and may Coles never run out of sun cream. :D

Thank you for your good wishes, trying not to think about flights until we have exchanged on house but aware prices will be going up! We are not sure where we will end up in NSW bit likely to be at least an hour north of Sydney, we have one daughter in Sydney (no children) and one in Berowra but as you will be aware it is not a cheap place to buy and prices going up too quickly. We would ideally like somewhere with a view but so many houses are crammed too near together with a fence to look at. :(

As you say we might get chance to meet somewhere when we are both there hopefully with a happy ending! that would be lovely,  In the meantime there just seems to be so much to think about my head is spinning!

Just now, nyorksgrannie said:

Thank you for your good wishes Fisher, trying not to think about flights until we have exchanged on house but aware prices will be going up! We are not sure where we will end up in NSW bit likely to be at least an hour north of Sydney, we have one daughter in Sydney (no children) and one in Berowra but as you will be aware it is not a cheap place to buy and prices going up too quickly. We would ideally like somewhere with a view but so many houses are crammed too near together with a fence to look at. :(

As you say we might get chance to meet somewhere when we are both there hopefully with a happy ending! that would be lovely,  In the meantime there just seems to be so much to think about my head is spinning!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

I know, I feel the same way. I'm currently diverting myself from sprucing up the house every five minutes by browsing the Facebook community page for Kiama every five minutes. It's very helpful ... Most places seem to have community pages on Facebook now ... If you know where you want to settle you might want to give it a try. I'm finding out all sorts of information about social groups and developments in the town ... I feel as though I'm almost there! 

Kath

• Like 2

Hi All,

Its been a while since I went on this forum and now it seems to have resurfaced.   Initially I was ramdomly asking questions as my daughter and son-in-law were thinking of moving to Oz.  It has moved on very quickly and they emigrate out to Mount Eliza Melbourne on 15th May.  I have been informed, and this is my question to you guys, that once they are resident for 2 years we can apply for a parent visa and join them to stay permanently??   Is this correct, I hope so as she is our only child and its killing me thinking of them going and taking my 2 little grandsons, one is 5 and one is 10 months.   What is the best way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkesville1 said:

Hi All,

Its been a while since I went on this forum and now it seems to have resurfaced.   Initially I was ramdomly asking questions as my daughter and son-in-law were thinking of moving to Oz.  It has moved on very quickly and they emigrate out to Mount Eliza Melbourne on 15th May.  I have been informed, and this is my question to you guys, that once they are resident for 2 years we can apply for a parent visa and join them to stay permanently??   Is this correct, I hope so as she is our only child and its killing me thinking of them going and taking my 2 little grandsons, one is 5 and one is 10 months.   What is the best way?

Check out how to apply for an ONSHORE Aged Parents Visa Class 804, subject to satisfying the terms and conditions

http://www.huntmigration.com/aged-parents/

1 hour ago, clarkesville1 said:

Hi All,

Hi, yes you can apply for a 143 contributory parent visa if not living  in Oz the costs are around Aus $100,000 for two people plus a bond and it is currently taking around 33 months from application, immigration are changing some visa costs and there is a new visa due that allows parents to stay for up to 5 or 10 years I think without being able to work whereas the 143 allows people to work and gives basic health care. There is a fee when you apply but the balance is asked for when you are near the stage of being granted the visa.

It is a couple of years since we applied so hope others will be able to correct this if I am wrong. There are other visas if onshore.

Go to www.border.gov.au

You can visit on a tourist visa  e600 (up to 3 months is free) 12 months about £80 each

Hope this helps and good luck.

3 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

I know, I feel the same way. I'm currently diverting myself from sprucing up the house every five minutes by browsing the Facebook community page for Kiama every five minutes. It's very helpful ... Most places seem to have community pages on Facebook now ... If you know where you want to settle you might want to give it a try. I'm finding out all sorts of information about social groups and developments in the town ... I feel as though I'm almost there! 

Kath

Hi Kath, just looked where Kiama is and it looks like we could be quite a long way from there, we were over in December and drove down to Wollongong along the coast from Sydney and stayed a night in Bowral, we liked it very much, it is just not near our family although our younger daughter has thought of moving in that direction. We will be renting after staying with family until we hopefully get our 143 visa then will build or buy not sure where that will be now that the £ is worth less and prices going up in Oz. Sue

On 02/04/2017 at 11:49 AM, nyorksgrannie said:

Hi AMP, we are still in uk but have e600 to go out this summer. We have annual travel insurance but this will expire in the autumn and we read that on entering Australia you may have to show you have adequate cover. We were advised by an agent that they may require full cover with a company like Bupa or Medibank - comparethemarket.au, which we are looking into. Good luck.

Sue

Many thanks for the advice Sue (sorry for the delay but I have been away!). I have also decided to go on the 600 visitor visa and then wait it out over there.  I understand that the 600 (not the e600) lets me stay for up to 12 months and potentially nearly two years if I leave and return just before it expires, thereby giving me another 12 months run.  I've been on the e600 twice before, the one which gives 3 month blocks within a 12 month period, but only had normal travel insurance and never had to show that I had any cover at all. Good luck to you also.

• Like 2