Guest guest36187

Hi Steve, I can imagine how well that went down with you both, it can be so stressful! I can't really help with your computer problem I'm sorry, but I actually printed the forms and wrote everything by hand (one for each of us!) - it took a long time, hours and hours, and my husband said his hand was hurting in sympathy just watching - cheeky so and so. Then I scanned and e-mailed both our Forms, and our police checks, all as one document to our case officer and they were accepted. It might be something to consider, but you may prefer to complete them online. Good luck whichever way you decide! Amanda
Hi everyone, we are taking your advice and starting to do form 80 do we need one each (husband and wife)or just main applicant? So much of it would be duplicated. Help would be appreciated.

When we sold our home, we sent the money out to my son, who held it within their mortgage, so we got $2.14 to the £, plus easy access to cash when we needed it. Once we were asked for AOS, my son took care of it all, he visited centrelink (I think thats who he visited lol) and did it all. As I said, if you can get everything that is likely to be required, completed up front, all these things for us (other than the 26 months it took!) went smoothly and easily.

Hi Everyone

i have done effectively the same thing as Alan and have money lodged as an "offset" against my daughter's mortgage and therefore have plenty capital to draw on already in Australia. I also went part shares with them on the house and effectively have a "granny flat" set up for me there so have no issues re accommodation. Given however that I have to state how much capital I will be bringing into Oz when I move, I now wonder whether this will be an issue. I still have capital in the uk but will want tor resist transferring it if the exchange rate is still low. I'm really therefore struggling to know what to put in terms of capital I will be bringing with me when I move. Does anyone know whether there is a minimum amount which they will accept? Also, could I include in this figure the amount of capital which I already have in Australiia, even if this isn't actually in an account in my name?

Hi Alan, you were lucky to get that rate! :-) My son finally got Centrelink to accept that they do deal with the AOS lodgement - after another hour on the phone with no luck, then the visit to the local branch, paperwork in hand, and even then they took some convincing (what is the problem there with it). He now has to wait to get an appointment, then I'll let our CO know that date. I think (but may be wrong) that your agent had the AOS info for you before you had a CO? I had previously been advised by immi that they would let me have the details end of June then when I asked at that time, they said it was no longer possible due to the volumes they were already dealing with - would've been double processing which is understandable. I do think there was a big difference in the ease of the applications between those filed before and after 1 June 2014. Hopefully they will catch up again at some point to the old targets.

Seems like all is going great for you there, hope you're enjoying your new job too!

Amanda

We liked to think it was well planned that we got that rate, and tbh, we actually went with advice from the forums to get everything lined up, something that caused a bit of friction with our agent, it must be said, but only because they had our best interests in mind.

We must have been lucky with centrelink as they could not have ben more helpful, and despite some others experience, we have found all government depts very helpful since we arrived.

Absolutely loving the new job, thanks!

Hi all

We are trying to work out what our financial position will be when we move over to Oz next year - and are feeling a lot less confident since the exchange rate was so royally screwed by the brexit vote.

This morning I had a look at Australian income tax rates and - although we are intending to take expert advice before too long - I am wondering if anyone already resident in Australia can comment on the amount they pay - does it seem to be a lot more than the UK, or just a bit more? The table I found was quite confusing and I am having one of those days when I think we are going to be living on beans and shopping at St Vincent's ...

Hi all

We are trying to work out what our financial position will be when we move over to Oz next year - and are feeling a lot less confident since the exchange rate was so royally screwed by the brexit vote.

This morning I had a look at Australian income tax rates and - although we are intending to take expert advice before too long - I am wondering if anyone already resident in Australia can comment on the amount they pay - does it seem to be a lot more than the UK, or just a bit more? The table I found was quite confusing and I am having one of those days when I think we are going to be living on beans and shopping at St Vincent's ...

Hi Fisher

we prepared some spreadsheets over two years ago when we were deciding if we should emigrate or not. We compared our income in Uk with Uk tax and then taxed in Oz. There was not a lot of difference between the two, that our course depends on the amount of income you have. For us it meant we were about £900 a year worse off in Oz based on an exchange rate of 1.6. We had decided that that was the minimum exchange rate we would find acceptable, above that was a bonus. There are offsets you can claim on some of your pensions which reduces the tax a little. We have been out in Oz for 3 months now still not tax tax residents as we haven't got our visas. Somethings are more expensive such as food, but petrol is so cheap it sort of balances things out. We have been looking at the outgoings on our daughters house and generally found that council tax and utilities are either the same or less than we paid in the UK. The drop in the exchange rate has certainly been a shock and we have had to review our forthcoming expenditure on a house and vehicles. Not the balmy days of last year at 2.1 to the £! All in all no need to live on beans or shop in Vinnies! When we get further into living here and know more will be happy to share any further knowledge.

Julie

Hi all

You might get some answers in the Money & Finance section. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/

You might get some answers in the Money & Finance section. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/

thanks for the quick replies! I'm not too worried about the cost of living because we've been over for two - three months at a time in the past, and have self catered, so we have a fair idea about food and petrol - also on our last trip we devoted a bit of time to check out prices of furniture, white goods, clothes etc. so we were feeling quite sanguine when we came back in May this year. Then there was the horrible shock of the exchange rate dropping like a stone. We had calculated what we could afford property wise, and of courses that's taken a bit of a knock, ditto the value of our savings here, but we were still fairly happy till I decided we couldn't put off looking at tax any longer. I had sort of assumed there wouldn't be much difference between the UK and Oz (... Don't know why ...) but then looked at this table on the internet this morning and it all suddenly looked very much more expensive.

OH has gone off to Brum to watch a footie match, so I was sitting here playing with the calculator ... So thank you Juliew. Feel a bit silly about lack of own spread sheets, but then we did have the sense to move money over for the visa at 2.15 so it's not all doom and gloom. our main concern is (like most people I guess) property and when to sell it, when to move the money.

Its not not for the faint hearted is it? But then I reckon anyone who can tackle form 80 can deal with most things :-)

Hi!

I can't find anywhere else to post this - so I'll keep it short :) my brother is an Australia resident (about 10 years now), married to an Aussie with an Australian business. I'm a Copywriter, searching for jobs and will take a working holiday visa in the new year unless I gain work before then. Out of curiosity, is there any way my brother could sponsor me down the line?

I hope this is ok to post this here - thank you so much! :)

thanks for the quick replies! I'm not too worried about the cost of living because we've been over for two - three months at a time in the past, and have self catered, so we have a fair idea about food and petrol - also on our last trip we devoted a bit of time to check out prices of furniture, white goods, clothes etc. so we were feeling quite sanguine when we came back in May this year. Then there was the horrible shock of the exchange rate dropping like a stone. We had calculated what we could afford property wise, and of courses that's taken a bit of a knock, ditto the value of our savings here, but we were still fairly happy till I decided we couldn't put off looking at tax any longer. I had sort of assumed there wouldn't be much difference between the UK and Oz (... Don't know why ...) but then looked at this table on the internet this morning and it all suddenly looked very much more expensive.

OH has gone off to Brum to watch a footie match, so I was sitting here playing with the calculator ... So thank you Juliew. Feel a bit silly about lack of own spread sheets, but then we did have the sense to move money over for the visa at 2.15 so it's not all doom and gloom. our main concern is (like most people I guess) property and when to sell it, when to move the money.

Its not not for the faint hearted is it? But then I reckon anyone who can tackle form 80 can deal with most things :-)

this is not intended to depress you, but having lived here retired for 13 years the exchange rate has fluctuated from about $2.8/9 to the pound when we arrived to a low of $1.47 in 2012. 2012 and 2013 it averaged $1.55/6.

So you do have to factor the flutuations into your calculations, to see if you can afford to live here in the worst scenario.

this is not intended to depress you, but having lived here retired for 13 years the exchange rate has fluctuated from about $2.8/9 to the pound when we arrived to a low of $1.47 in 2012. 2012 and 2013 it averaged $1.55/6.

So you do have to factor the flutuations into your calculations, to see if you can afford to live here in the worst scenario.

Thanks Ramot - we've been visiting for twelve years so have experienced a little bit of the 1.45 to the £ ... But should be able to weather exchange rate miseries on a day to day basis. It was the combination of the drop in exchange rates just as we were about to sell our house and move the money that was the big shock. I really didnt think the UK would vote to leave The EU and so had thought the exchange rate would stay at around two to the pound for a while longer, as predicted.

Like I said, not for the faint hearted!

OMG OMG OMG

Correspondence from PV Team 1 asking me to arrange AOS!!!!!!!

strangely enough, the letter says they are trying to streamline the process and that although our application has not been assessed at this time they are asking for AOS, no requests for Police reports or Form 80 yet.

will keep you updated.

Julie