Guest guest36187

Guest geordie joe

Hi, I wonder if you can help with a quick question. My son moved to Perth 18 months on a 457 visa, he is now in the process of applying for PR. Once this is granted we are looking to apply for a CPV, however does the 2 year residency rule start from the date he moved to OZ or when he's granted his PR.

thanks

Hi, I wonder if you can help with a quick question. My son moved to Perth 18 months on a 457 visa, he is now in the process of applying for PR. Once this is granted we are looking to apply for a CPV, however does the 2 year residency rule start from the date he moved to OZ or when he's granted his PR.

thanks

Hi

As I understand it it starts from date of his PR but I'm sure someone will correct me if this isn't the case.

Good luck

Phoebe

thanks

Have a look at the sponsorship information in Booklet 3 Parent Migration which states:

There may be exceptions, however, and the facts of each

case are considered on an individual basis by the offi cer of the department who is making the decision,

particularly if there have been periods of lawful temporary residence that can appropriately be counted

towards the settled requirement.

It is not so much the period of time, but whether the authorities consider your son is 'settled', ie with a job, house, car, children in school etc. It might be wise to speak to a migration agent first rather than risk being turned down.

thanks

Settled sponsor: (in essence) 2 years from the date the sponsor started lawfully residing in Australia, so long as the sponsor is an Aus permanent visaholder or Aus citizen at the time the visa application is lodged with DIAC.

You can go for an application within 2 years of the sponsor commencing Aus residency, but these days the risks of the sponsor not being deemed to be settled by DIAC are higher than they once were.

Best regards.

Guest geordie joe

Thanks for replies, the last thing I want is to risk being turned down and creating further dealys. Given this would be a huge financial commitment, I guess the best thing to do is wait for my son's PR to be granted then speak with a migration agent.

regards

Joe

Just had my medical examination and all seems ok... Hope nothing untoward is found when "they" check the blood-test and chest-xray results, so fingers-crossed.

Also hope "they" recognise that, after three-scores on this blue planet, we are no longer in absolutely pristine nick!:eek:

Funnily enough the trickiest part of the medical was providing a urine sample...... "Under controlled conditions"..... Without going into too much detail, it's amazing to me how we have our own unthinking automatic routine for doing simple things, and how we can be thrown into confusion simply by being given a particular unusual sequence to follow! But then again, maybe that's just me.:wink:

They only check for HIV in the blood test, and in my medical in Manchester my urine was tested there and then with a dip stick and i was told it was fine, i came away from my medical happy after being told all was ok, i had an operation last year and the consultant kindly wrote me a letter on the result of my op, they were more than happy with this . maybe after having 2 kids and had to give a sample on numerous occasions presenting one is never any trouble.:biggrin: hope all goes well, which i am sure it will. Ann

We have just got home after spending a very enjoyable lunch with the lovely members of "The Northern Beaches Branch of Poms in Oz" We meet up regularly , about once a month, in various hostelries and there are usually 10 - 12 of us. A very pleasant way of spending a Saturday in Manly as the weather is atrocious!! If any one would like to join us send me a PM.

Marian

Hi All, just wondering if anyone had any information on changing from the 173 temp Contributory visa to the 143 permanent one. I am only here since January on the 143 but am already thinking I will go for the 143. I would have gone for it in the first place but I couldnt afford it. I have got a job now tho its only temporary so am saving for the 143. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the fee is $16,885 I thought it was another $24,k on top of the 24k I paid for the temporary visa. Anyway, does anyone know is there much to getting this, I don't want to involve agents fees if I can and also how long does it take.

Many thanks to all for the great information and encouragement so far. Only here 6 weeks and I know it was the right move.:biggrin:

Fran.

Hi All, just wondering if anyone had any information on changing from the 173 temp Contributory visa to the 143 permanent one. I am only here since January on the 143 but am already thinking I will go for the 143. I would have gone for it in the first place but I couldnt afford it. I have got a job now tho its only temporary so am saving for the 143. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the fee is $16,885 I thought it was another $24,k on top of the 24k I paid for the temporary visa. Anyway, does anyone know is there much to getting this, I don't want to involve agents fees if I can and also how long does it take.

Many thanks to all for the great information and encouragement so far. Only here 6 weeks and I know it was the right move.:biggrin:

Fran.

G'Day Fran

It's much more straightforward than the initial 173 application – more form-filling, more money (and don't forget the Assurance of Support dosh – we had to "lend" this to our SiL!) – but so long as your medical etc situation hasn't changed it's much simpler. It's pretty quick too – see our timeline below.

Good luck, Mike

PS: You can simply download the forms and accompanying guide from the DIAC website, to see exactly what is involved.

Edited by MikenSueNW3
PS

Hi, my wife and I are aged parents of two daughters living in Oz who are permanent residents, I know about the wait with the CPU and the great cost of applying for it thanks to a other aged parents blogs on this issue, but regarding the non contributary CPU when applying for it offsure can we apply for it and still travel to Oz to visit our family's and on what visa, a bridging visa A or tourist visa as we travel once or twice a year.

I am 67 and my wife 62 we have downgraded our house so have money in the bank but not to blow on the CPU visa as would like to buy a property with our family downunder if allowed.

We still have close family in the UK so reluctant to apply for the non contrib CPU insure, as if I'm right are only allowed to be out of Oz 90 days at a time but would consider this option at a later date. One daughter has been there for 5 years married with 3 children the other emigrated 2 years ago with 2 children, its heartbraking for being here but thank goodness for Skype. Many thanks for any advise Ian and Joy Warren Dover UK.

Hi, my wife and I are aged parents of two daughters living in Oz who are permanent residents, I know about the wait with the CPU and the great cost of applying for it thanks to a other aged parents blogs on this issue, but regarding the non contributary CPU when applying for it offsure can we apply for it and still travel to Oz to visit our family's and on what visa, a bridging visa A or tourist visa as we travel once or twice a year.

I am 67 and my wife 62 we have downgraded our house so have money in the bank but not to blow on the CPU visa as would like to buy a property with our family downunder if allowed.

We still have close family in the UK so reluctant to apply for the non contrib CPU insure, as if I'm right are only allowed to be out of Oz 90 days at a time but would consider this option at a later date. One daughter has been there for 5 years married with 3 children the other emigrated 2 years ago with 2 children, its heartbraking for being here but thank goodness for Skype. Many thanks for any advise Ian and Joy Warren Dover UK.

G"Day Ian and Joy

The best move might be to apply for the non-contributory (offshore) parent visa; there is a very long wait, but if you later decide to switch to the contributory type, the time you have spent in the queue generally means a much quicker process. It's a simple (if laborious) process – no need to use an agent so long as you have all your records to hand.

While on the application list, you can visit Oz as normal on a tourist visa – but check out the new long-stay (12 month?) tourist visa for people on the parent-visa waiting list; I'm not sure whether it applies to people in the non-contrib queue.

The only thing to bear in mind with taking the slow route is that any sudden medical problem could cause difficulty later, as the medicals happen only when you are nearly there.

Good luck, Mike

Edited by MikenSueNW3

... no need to waste money on an agent ...

=> Hopefully some of us do actually add value to our clients' experiences! :biggrin:

Best regards.

So true Alan, without your knowledge and support regarding my AOS i would have certainly lost my visa, if i had done it alone i would not have known about the PTY Limited for doing the AOS. It was a problem i could never have foreseen earlier on. so i am glad i used your agency as i would not be nearing visa grant without you. :smile: Ann

... no need to waste money on an agent ...

=> Hopefully some of us do actually add value to our clients' experiences! :biggrin:

Best regards

A friend of mine from Liverpool (met her on this Forum) has used your Agency Alan and has nothing but praise for what ye do.

Fran.

Hi Fran, you read my mind as i have just seen your post regarding Alan after posting mine, we all apreciate your free advice on here as mike said Alan, thank you.

Great to hear you have settled well in Brisbane Fran and have found work your really happy in, really lovely to hear as it is from previous posters who have gone through the process and loving their new life with family and friends. Can't wait to have my first holiday in Brisbane when i come to see you.

Chat soon Ann

Afraid I need to bug you good souls again.......

I'm guessing that a Police-Certificate for Blighty is simply the "Basic Disclosure Certificate" that one applies for online from

https://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply/individuals/ for £25?

Also, as I've spent more than 12 months downunder since my kids emigrated five years ago, I have to get a Police-Certificate from the Australian Federal Police from

http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx#forms

but without having read it properly yet, it looks like they may need fingerprints, and I'm wondering where-on-Britain one gets fingerprints taken?

Jeepers but I detest forms and bureaucracy:confused::arghh: ... It's only knowing that it'll be worth it that gets me past my form rage! :wink::biggrin:

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy, i had to have an Australian police check for the same reasons , and it's didn't require fingerprints, all pretty straight foreward although i had an agent to help. :smile: Ann

From the posts in this thread and as per CPV tracker on chireckles com it appears that some got their visa in 12 months. Otherwise the average time taken is from 18 to 22 months.In the month of July every year the IMMI GOV AU releases the Annual Migration Report.According to the last report there was backlog of 12000 applicants as on 1 July 2012. As per the annual quota an average of approximately 545 visas are released every month.So 22 months are required to clear the backlog pending as on 1 July 2012. If we add to the existing pendency the number of applications received from July 2012 to June 2013 then the average waiting time would not be less than 24 months. I do not know how many new applicants have applied during the current financial year. Exact figures will be available in July 2013 when the Migration Report is released.Moreover the most crucial factor is as to whether the annual quota is increased or decreased.This is the election year.Migration is a sensitive issue. Just like UK ,all over the world, during election year some marked degree of anti immigrant sentiment is there. Aussies are already up in arms against the migrants whom they think are snatching their jobs.Some migration visa numbers have drastically been curtailed. Adult migrants up to the age of 44 are considered to be in their prime working age. We, the CPV applicants are decades past that age. Our children who themselves are fresh migrants are not a significant vote bank. In politics vote banks matter. I may be wrong but the simple arithmetic tells us that those who applied in June 2012 have 22 month wait ahead of them.Applicants applying after June 2012 can anticipate 22 months of waiting period if the number of applicants during 2012-2013 remains the same as previous year. If the number of applications during the current year is more than the previous year then the wait would lengthen. The best hope is to have the annual allocation of CPV visa enhanced.

So speaking of backlog

In ref to:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-visa-processing-priorities.htm

it says “….In the 2012–13 Migration Program year, 6575 Contributory Parent visa places are available for applicants applying from in and outside Australia.”

Considering – “If we add to the existing pendency the number of applications received from July 2012 to June 2013 then the average waiting time would not be less than 24 months…”

Assuming that there were a number of received applications that more or less fit into the given visa places…

So would that translate to - if there is a 2012 backlog of 12000 + current fiscal year alloc 6575 / 545 = 34 months wait (almost 3 years)?

This is too pessimistic, I may be analysing it wrongly..