Guest guest36187

Need help. I shall be grateful for any reply that clears the position. I have applied for 143 visa. As mother I visit my son in Australia every year since 2006. Some times even twice a year. Each of my visits are less than 3 months in duration except on one occasion when stayed on for five months.The cumulative stay, counting each spell of visit, exceeds 12 months in last seven years. When asked to produce police clearance do I have to obtain police clearance from Australian Police as well?

Yes you do as i had to do this as my stays in Australia over the last 10yrs exceeded 12 months. It's pretty straight forward but i had the help of my agent so can't advice if your doing the 143 yourself. All the best with your process. Ann

Hi

I was wondering if anybody had any experience of including a dependent on a CPV specifically one who is over 18 yrs old. My brother is currently 22 yrs old and still lives with my mum. He currently works full time but is thinking of going back into full time education. From what I have read a dependent that is over 18yrs old has to be financially dependent on their parents for food shelter clothing etc and I was just wondering if anybody had gone through this and included a dependent on their visa and whether my brother would come under this definition.....I'm presuming he wouldn't while he is working full time even though he still lives at home and does not contribute to live there.... but would going back into education then mean he could be included as a 'dependent' and is there any age limit to this?

Thanks in advance to anybody who has any thoughts on this.

:daydreaming: I appreciate you want to do your best by your brother here, but I think you know the answer to that question really ! (presuming he lives in the UK of course!)

Even if he was unemployed he would be financially supported by the state; but he works full time ! & neither way could he be classed as dependent on his mum even if she chooses not to let him pay any living costs. Maybe encourage him to skill up instead in order to improve his prospects for the future?

Edited by snifter
Put in a tag for quote

Need help. I shall be grateful for any reply that clears the position. I have applied for 143 visa. As mother I visit my son in Australia every year since 2006. Some times even twice a year. Each of my visits are less than 3 months in duration except on one occasion when stayed on for five months.The cumulative stay, counting each spell of visit, exceeds 12 months in last seven years. When asked to produce police clearance do I have to obtain police clearance from Australian Police as well?

To expand on Ann's reply, it is (as ever) simply a matter of form-filling and (relatively modest) fee-paying!

Mike

Yes you do as i had to do this as my stays in Australia over the last 10yrs exceeded 12 months. It's pretty straight forward but i had the help of my agent so can't advice if your doing the 143 yourself. All the best with your process. Ann

Thanks for the input.Best Wishes

Hi there,

would like to know where are the peeps who have just (last 6 months or so) moved over to Brisbane, id love to hear more stories of how they are getting on, what they have been up to, are they working has that been easy enough to find?...they must be so busy !! Is it all its cracked up to be?

Also has anyone gone self employed and how has that worked out for you?

Hoping i get some replies to this...

thanks Tab x

Hi there,

would like to know where are the peeps who have just (last 6 months or so) moved over to Brisbane, id love to hear more stories of how they are getting on, what they have been up to, are they working has that been easy enough to find?...they must be so busy !! Is it all its cracked up to be?

thanks Tab x

Hi Tab, I'm in Brisbane just a month now and started work on Tuesday (office work), it was hard enough to find, its temporary but loving it so far, I just kept on the computer every day applying and it paid off. Am loving the life so far, I find the weekends a bit hard ok missing my friends but hope to make new ones, its early days yet. I cant say about about self employed as I am on Tax File Number (or so I think). I'm new to this life so hope you get more replies but so far I wouldnt change a thing, glad I made the move.

Fran.

Hi there,

thanks Tab x

Hi Tab

Ted and I have been here nearly 4 months now and at first I felt very homesick and really missed family and friends in the UK. BUT this is just an amazing place to be. The wonderful climate makes for a great lifestyle - we are outdoors most of the time, walking, cycling, doing jobs around the garden. There are loads of activities and groups you can join, most of them free which is a great way to make new friends. You will find the Australians very friendly and helpful. We bought a caravan shortly after getting here and this has proved a great way to see this beautiful country and meet people.

Here in the South Moreton Bay area it's clean and well maintained with no rubbish in parks or shopping areas. The majority of folk are very respectful of their environment and either put litter in the bins or take it home with them. Another thing that's really noticeable is you don't see 'gangs' of teenagers around. You do get groups of young people out in the parks etc but they are just out enjoying themselves and very well behaved. Back where we lived in the UK litter, fly-tipping and grafetti were a big problem - it was lovely at first but in the past few years sadly the area went down. We became members of a group of volunteers that planted trees / shrubs and cleared litter to make the local area more pleasant to live but within weeks the litter would be back as bad as ever. It really got us down. I'm not knocking the UK entirely, there are plenty of plus points - it gave us a reasonable standard of living and we had our kids at a time when they could be just kids with the freedom to play outdoors. The majority of our family still remaining in the UK are very happy with their lives and we are thankful for that.

On the subject of finding a job, although we've both applied for a few, we really haven't been trying too hard so I can't confirm how easy it is to find work here.

We've had regular get-togethers with other PIO that have moved, or are due to move to the Brisbane area and this has been real boost for us. It's great to speak personally to others going through the same thing and 'swop notes'!

Our decision to move to Australia was a tough call but, apart from missing family and friends, so far we love it here.

Hope this helps Tab.

Angie x

Edited by brummiebabies

Hi Fran

I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were getting on - so pleased to hear that you have found a job! It doesn't matter that it's temporary - you never know it may lead to other things. You have done remarkably well considering you've only been here a month. Personally we haven't stopped since getting here - always loads to do. It's great though!!

Angie x

Well I have been in Brisbane 5 years having come here on a CPV.

The novelty has well and truly worn off and I can not see that it is any better than the Uk....at least where I lived in the UK.

I am also in Bayside and don't have such a rose tinted view.

If it were not for my work I would return to England......and fully intend to once I finally retire.

This is the whole problem when you transplant to a new country particularly when one is on the wrong side of sixty. The other dilemmas are [1]whether to live in the same house in which your settled children are living, [2] or to live independently in a nearby house, [3] or live in another city whose climate is most conducive to your good health and proper infrastructure is available,[4] how frequently one can visit and stay with the children who have family of their own,etc. etc. I know that in public fora like this one cannot answer such questions freely lest family members feel offended. Though each family has its own unique set of circumstances and there may not be any parallels, yet, I would welcome any thoughts based on real life experience as to the best place to live keeping in view the questions above.

Does anyone know how long it would take to "deny" an application for an 804 aged parent on shore visa due to you not meeting the criteria of having been resident for 2 years before the application? We took some possibly "bad" advice from an immigration lawyer who I can't get hold of again and need to lodge for my mom but have not been resident for the required 2 years (in fact well short...that's a whole other story). The advice I was given that because it was in country we could lodge an appeal to the tribunal which would take a while..all in our favour as we did not know if she would pass the medical test. We were under the impression it would take at least 2 years for them even to look at it but from what we have heard recently they will reject very quickly if we don't have the 2 years in? Anyone have any ideas? If so we need to make other plans as my mom is totally dependant on us, has no money of her own, gets a 1/4 UK pension as she has been out of the UK for 50 years and will probably keel over and peg on the spot if I tell her she needs to go back to the UK for a year before we can even lodge the application as she knows no one at all there anymore and is 75 years old

edited to add: Who is the best immigration attorney for Parental visas that I could get advice from?

Thanks

Hi Mmant

I think it might depend on whether or not there are grandchildren. I definitely noticed a slight difference in the amount of time our daughter wanted to spend with us on our last trip over, something which has coincided with her setting up home with a de facto partner. It's great to see her so happy and settled but there was a definite diminuition of enthusiasm for our company. On the other hand, new partner has had a good influence re: consideration of our comfort etc. I certainly would never want to stay longer than a couple of weeks with my daughter, and we always make sure we travel some of the time by ourselves. Someone on the home swap site we use summed it up perfectly ' I want to be around but not necessarily always with' my daughter. I think we would probably expect to see her once or twice a week if we moved over there and would definitely need to start again with new friends etc. I think the age thing is a red herring - being on 'the wrong side of sixty' is a cop out. It's always hard to start again (and I have, many times) and it's always hard to make new friends. If you go into it with the right attitude though, I believe it happens. One advantage of being older is that I am happier with my own company.

Having said all that, I dont think emmigrating is for the faint hearted - but then, it never was.

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could answer a question on behalf of my mum and dad. I'll give a little background first, it may help....my sister and i are both PR visa holders for Oz, my sister emigrated oct 12 and I will go 16th april to Perth, WA. My parents will eventually apply for their CPV visa in Oct 14 once my sister has been there the 2 year settlement period, but in the meantime my mum and dad will visit us for extended periods until then. They will initially come for 9 months from april 13 - jan 14, the question they would like to ask is what is the best way to insure themselves for that time in oz, just normal travel insurance or is there other options? any help would be much appreciated!! Cheers

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could answer a question on behalf of my mum and dad. I'll give a little background first, it may help....my sister and i are both PR visa holders for Oz, my sister emigrated oct 12 and I will go 16th april to Perth, WA. My parents will eventually apply for their CPV visa in Oct 14 once my sister has been there the 2 year settlement period, but in the meantime my mum and dad will visit us for extended periods until then. They will initially come for 9 months from april 13 - jan 14, the question they would like to ask is what is the best way to insure themselves for that time in oz, just normal travel insurance or is there other options? any help would be much appreciated!! Cheers

G'day

Assuming you're mainly talking about health insurance, try Bupa (formerly MBF). They do "Overseas Visitors' Cover". (Maybe other insurers do too, but certainly not all.)

One advantage over normal travel insurance is that, if the cover is continuous, time spent on this insurance counts towards the 12-month waiting time for cover of any pre-existing conditions.

It's not cheap, however – of the order of $300–400 per month for a couple.

Good luck, Mike

This is the whole problem when you transplant to a new country particularly when one is on the wrong side of sixty. The other dilemmas are [1]whether to live in the same house in which your settled children are living, [2] or to live independently in a nearby house, [3] or live in another city whose climate is most conducive to your good health and proper infrastructure is available,[4] how frequently one can visit and stay with the children who have family of their own,etc. etc. I know that in public fora like this one cannot answer such questions freely lest family members feel offended. Though each family has its own unique set of circumstances and there may not be any parallels, yet, I would welcome any thoughts based on real life experience as to the best place to live keeping in view the questions above.

Hi

Im sorry this is not based on real life experience as we are still in the UK considering the move to Oz.

Naturally the reason we are considering it is because our daughter and now 3 grand children are out there but our decision will be based on wether we feel we can make a better life for ourselves in Oz. My daughter and I are the best of friends but we would absolutely not want to live in the same house as them. When we go over to visit we stay with them and are made very welcome by them and their friends however my daughter now has her own family which she must put first and we totally respect that. If we were to make the move it would be for us and no-one else having my daughter and grandchildren close by or within driving distance would be a big bonus but we firmly believe the decision to move to Oz at our time of life has to be based on wether we feel we could have a better lifestyle there than we have in the UK and sadly even though we have extended family and some good friends here we feel this country is going downhill fast.

This is just my perspective of course and I too would be interested to hear other people's views

Phoebe

Fisher 1

Thanks for your accurate assessment. I fully subscribe to your view " I want to be around but not necessarily always with' my daughter" and "One advantage of being older is that I am happier with my own company". Emigrating is akin to start of fresh life. All of us become prisoner of our situation and circumstances over a period of time. To get out of that straight jacket takes conviction, courage and enthusiasm of a teenager. After long deliberations, as a couple, we have put into deep freeze all the ' ifs and buts ' & 'whys and wherefores' and decided to pitch for move to Australia.I and my husband are keeping our fingers crossed not knowing how it will pan out eventually.

Well, Ian and I made the decision to come to Australia in Jan 2008 and eventually arrived here having obtained our CPV 143 in October 2009. It was absolutely the best decision we had ever made (apart from getting married!) ; we are based in Sydney where one of our daughters lives; the other daughter lives about 350 kms north of Sydney. Ian is working (not too much) and I am totally retired. We have made several good friends here (Sydney's Northern Beaches) and have a busier social life than we ever had in England. Our friends are a mix of English, Australian and South African and we meet up with some lovely folk we met through Poms in Oz once a month. Of course we see our daughters and grand children regularly but apart from that which is wonderful , generally our lives have been enhanced by moving here. So it just takes a leap of faith! Go for it if you dare!

Marian and Ian Burgess

I set my mind on coming to Australia years ago after my first holiday in Perth, i had to many commitments at the time as i was nursing both my parents and my daughter was still at university, My daughter is now married and settled here and my son became a permanent resident 3yrs ago so i decided it was now my time to live a little after happily and willingly looking after my family. My job in age care with the council will go to the private sector this year and my poor wage will only get worse, my chances of affording to accrue a decent pension are poor and i don't see any improvement in my standard of living at present, I have to say i am not coming to OZ with rose tinted glasses, i do realise i will have to work just as hard over there as i do here for a decent standard of living, but i love the sunshine and lifestyle, i enjoy the simple things in life that mostly come free in the outdoors, my daughter will visit often as will my sister. My son and his wife had a baby boy last september so i now have a new grandson to meet and enjoy time with. I hope to leave for perth in the next 2 wks and i really can't wait to get my rental and enjoy my pooch when he comes out of quarentine in 3wks, had a bit of worry this week as he only landed on Monday and i recieved an email form quarentine to say my dog has been relocated due to the bushfires near Byford where the quarentine centre is. He is safe and well cared for so that is the main thing. I wish everyone good luck going through the process from all the happy posts from previous pio's it's well worth the stress and worry once you finaly get there. Happy days !!!!! Ann:cool:

Thanks Mike for the info, very useful indeed. I looked up the Bupa Overseas Visitors cover and I think it is exactly what my folks are looking for. My parents thought the cover was quite reasonably priced and will cover them sufficiently for what they need whilst in Oz. Thanks again!! :-) Dougie