Guest guest36187

I hope you are wrong, David.

The requirements I posted were taken from the actual paper form (ref quoted) which I got when I went to CentreLink in Warringah Mall near Manly. I spoke to an adviser there, who actually ticked off all our qualifying requirements then and there.

Fingers crossed.

I'll keep you posted.

John & Eirian.

Yes, I think you're wrong, David..... luckily for many of us seniors!

I've checked all 57 questions on the application form carefully "Claim for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card" form SA296.1204 and there's nothing about two years residence or even "How long have you been a resident of Australia".

We cannot apply formally until we actually move "permanently" to Australia in September, but I'm fairly certain we'll get our Commonwealth Seniors card soon after.

The lady at Centrelink had no doubts.

Wish us luck!

John & Eirian:biggrin:

Yes, that is true, Ann & Roy,

Having a permanent visa is necessary before you can get a Medicare card. They checked the paper visa in our passports. I'm surprised they don't consider a 173 to be (almost) permanent, but c'est la vie!

Hope all is sorted soon and that you get your 143 quickly.

John & Eirian

We are here on a 173 visa and have had a medicare card since we arrived in October,also we have used it on several occasions.

Hi JohnandErien, We have just moved to Avoca Beach on the 26th June on a 173 Temp CPV, we will be applying for the 143 as soon as poss. We went to Medicare to ask about a Medicare Card and we were told that we couldn't have one until we had our permanent visas. The reason they gave us was that even though we are British Citizens, we have been living in the Republic of Ireland so we didn't qualify. I suppose that means we can't have a Senior Card also, I can't understand this as we were told by our rellie's here that we would be able to get both.

Any suggestions for us please as we are finding it a bit hard to get any information from the authorities here. We are aged 67 and 68 and although in good health it can be a bit worrying to think of what it would cost us if we fell ill in the future without the Medicare Card.

Thanks Ann & Roy.

We were also on a 173 when we arrived here and were given a Medicare card (although a different colour - can't remember now)

Medicare has reciprocal health care agreements with both the UK and the Republic of Ireland, so you would be covered for 'medically necessary treatment' Try ringing the central Medicare office on 132 011 for advice. The people in the Medicare offices don't always know everything. When I rang to enquire about our cards we were told by a lady on the phone that we were entitled to switch to a proper medicare card as soon as we had applied for the permanent visa but the clerk at the Medicare office wouldn't have it until we insisted they phone someone for advice. Luckily I had taken the name of the lady I spoke to.

Also check your visa grant letter - ours states that holders of the 173 generally have access to Medicare.

Edited by Linday

Has anyone any thoughts on the freezing of UK state pensions on migrating to Australia? How do people manage? Any ways of avoiding this till the very last minute?

I actually deferred drawing mine until we moved to Oz as I was still working and so I got a slightly higher rate. It is a worry though.

We were also on a 173 when we arrived here and were given a Medicare card (although a different colour - can't remember now)

Medicare has reciprocal health care agreements with both the UK and the Republic of Ireland, so you would be covered for 'medically necessary treatment' Try ringing the central Medicare office on 132 011 for advice. The people in the Medicare offices don't always know everything. When I rang to enquire about our cards we were told by a lady on the phone that we were entitled to switch to a proper medicare card as soon as we had applied for the permanent visa but the clerk at the Medicare office wouldn't have it until we insisted they phone someone for advice. Luckily I had taken the name of the lady I spoke to.

Also check your visa grant letter - ours states that holders of the 173 generally have access to Medicare.

Before we moved permanently over to Oz we had all of our holidays here, at least once a year for the last 10 years, and we always received a Medicare card for the time we were here. But we were always told it did not give us full cover eg you were not covered for hospital in-patient hospital treatment.

David

Before we moved permanently over to Oz we had all of our holidays here, at least once a year for the last 10 years, and we always received a Medicare card for the time we were here. But we were always told it did not give us full cover eg you were not covered for hospital in-patient hospital treatment.

David

Yes, that;s right. As Australia has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK then any visitors to Australia are covered for emergency treatment only and when we visited our travel insurance advised us to register with Medicare specifically for that purpose. However, the conditions of our 173 visa state that we are entitled to receive Medicare treatment and when we registered were told that it gave us full cover, the only difference being that the card was only valid for a year and we would then have to re-register.

Edited by Linday

Thanks for that. I have been waiting because the information we had was "For each card, recent migrants to Australia may be subject to a 104 week waiting period served inAustralia " but I will check this with Centrelink on Monday.

Regards

Ian

I think that is right - extract from the Centrelink pages on eligibility :-

There is a newly arrived residents waiting period and I believe that it s 104 weeks as you stated.

To qualify, you must:

• be an Australian resident and currently living in Australia and

• not be subject to a newly arrived resident’s waiting period and

• have reached age-pension age but not qualify for a payment from us or from the Department of Veterans' Affairs and

• provide us with your and your partner's tax file numbers, or be granted an exemption from providing your and your partner's tax file numbers, and

• have an annual adjusted taxable income* of less than:

• $50 000 (singles)

• $80 000 (couples, combined), or

• $100 000 (couples, combined, for couples separated by illness or respite care or of whom one partner is in prison).

*This limit is increased by $639.60 for each dependent child you care for.

Note: Dependants or partners of Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are not eligible for concessions using the cardholder’s card.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks, alan.

However the advice I'm getting from several sources is that if you are over pensionable age and already drawing pension(s) from the UK, you cannot set up a self-managed super fund.

Also, when GBP denominated investments are so unattractive at the mo, why would one prefer these to Oz ones? e.g 2.5% fixed interest over 12 months v 6.2% interest on an on-demand basis?

Is this incorrect?

John & Eirian

I'm happy to be corrected, but I believe being in receipt of a UK pension doesn't impact on your ability to set up a SMSF.

Feel able to send me a PM or email (click on my name to the left of this post) with your contact details if you would like to explore this more fully.

Re the GBP vs AUD question: agreed the income yields in Aus are better, but the rates of interest in Aus are now down in the 3% to 4% range for instant access.

The main reason why clients of ours aren't transferring pension funds into Aussie super is usually the exchange rate; there is a wish to see where the AUD heads against the GBP on the basis that we are at historically low levels, and these things tend to be cyclical. Whether the cycle wil repeat remains to be seen of course ...

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett

Hi everyone

Moira asked earlier about shipping wicker items. I am happy to report that all our COMMERCIALLY produced wicker came sailing through customs, quarantine etc without any problems. Hope this helps those with the worries over wooden items etc.

regards

pete

The tracker is looking a bit empty in places and hasn't moved in ages........ all seems soooo very slow at the moment, wonder what the hold up is. Lordy hope we see somethng moving this week, those that are next must be nail chomping at the moment.... hope it's this week for you.....then i won't be long after as i so want to be in perth for the birth of my grandson 3rd october but they reckon she may go early. Ann ( gilly on tracker):unsure:

My Parents applied for Aged Parents (804) in 2009. Unfortunately, My Dad who is a secondary applicant was diagnosed with Cancer and he is undergoing treatment . One of my friend's parents who also applied in 2009 received a letter from DIAC for Medical asseessment. My paernts may be receving one soon. Can anyone advise if my Dad'd Cancer would impact on my parents medical assessment considering this is just a preliminary investigation and they don't expect to get a decision within next 10 years atleast. I beleive there will be final medical assement before grant of visa.

The tracker is looking a bit empty in places and hasn't moved in ages........ all seems soooo very slow at the moment, wonder what the hold up is. Lordy hope we see somethng moving this week, those that are next must be nail chomping at the moment.... hope it's this week for you.....then i won't be long after as i so want to be in perth for the birth of my grandson 3rd october but they reckon she may go early. Ann ( gilly on tracker):unsure:

The Tracker does seem slow at the moment Ann but looking historically it can't be that long now for the next batch of us on the list - I hope! When you have a date to aim for, as you have, it makes the waiting even more painful. I'm sure the timing will work out pefectly for you. Angie

Hi Ann,

It is so frustrating for us as we are once again being held up by Centrelink. The bond was paid last Wednesday and yet they still haven't sent confirmation of this to the Parent Visa Centre. And this after messing up the initial process! Our agent called re the allocation of a Case Officer and was told that as soon as they received official confirmation from CL they would contact us for the 2nd VAC and that they had already called CL to chase the receipt. That was on Monday. Bearing in mind we have to leave our military accommodation in August and are waiting to book flights, it is really starting to get to me. And now the offices are closed again so we will have to wait another 24 hours for news. Chin up eh!

Kim

Hi hope to get some advice from someone of the more financial wizz kids on this forum !! I have applied for the 173 temporary visa and the 2nd VAC is AUD$24,010, back in September 2011 (my acknowledgement date) this converted to approx Euro17,000, for the past few weeks it has been jumping up at an unreal rate. Only last week it was around Euro19,000 to pay Aud$24,010 and today it is just hitting the Euro20,000. I spoke to my son in Brisbane and he suggested transferring the money over to his account now. I know it is hard to predict the way the euro is now but if it goes up much more I will have abandon my plans. I have no pension so it will be out straight away looking for work when I get to Brisbane but I don't mind that, just hope I do get a job. I expect to get my CO Sept/October, meds and police clearance are in Perth. I am rabbiting on now, but to go back to the basics would be grateful for advice whether to transfer now or hold tough and hope the exchange rate changes.

Thanks, Fran.

Guest guest72525

Hi Fran

I am afraid I cannot advise re the exchange rate (except to note that the AUD has strengthened against all the major currencies since we moved to Perth over 2 years ago) but I would like to ask you a question if you don't mind? When did you do your medicals and Police clearances and what made you decide to do them before getting a case officer? My parents have lodged an application for a 143 a couple of months ago and are trying to decide whether they should do their medicals about 10 months after acknowledgment.

Thank you and hope you get some good financial advice!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I got a letter from DIAC in May of this year asking me to do medicals and police clearance so I went ahead and did them. I thought then I would get a CO soon after that. When my agent contacted the immigration asking them about when I would expect to get a CO they said a mistake was made and that I should not have been asked for the meds and clearance so soon. But at least they are in Perth now and should help to get things moving fast once I get my CO. From what I read on this forum it would not be advisable to get these done until asked cos they can go missing, lost in post etc. There actually seems to be a bit of a slow down with CO's being appointed, no move on the tracker list for ages.

Best of luck getting all sorted with your parents.

Fran.

Hi everyone

I have a question. My money for the 2nd payment is in my Oz bank account. I notice that payment is made by personnel cheque or bankers draft. Does anyone know is they would accept a cheque from my daughter-in-law, who is also my sponser. I would put the money in her account.? I think it might be easier than trying to do it from UK.

My acknowledgement date was a year ago yesterday (Im not counting) but it does seem to have gone quickly.

People often ask me if I am excited, and I am sure I am but at the moment I am more aware of the leaving. But by this time next year I should be quite settled (if everything goes to plan)

Best wishes

Moira

Hi everyone

I have a question. My money for the 2nd payment is in my Oz bank account. I notice that payment is made by personnel cheque or bankers draft. Does anyone know is they would accept a cheque from my daughter-in-law, who is also my sponser. I would put the money in her account.? I think it might be easier than trying to do it from UK.

My acknowledgement date was a year ago yesterday (Im not counting) but it does seem to have gone quickly.

People often ask me if I am excited, and I am sure I am but at the moment I am more aware of the leaving. But by this time next year I should be quite settled (if everything goes to plan)

Best wishes

Moira

Yes, Transferring money into your daughter's account and getting her to make the payment is, by far, the easiest way, Moira.

A Banker's cheque can take 3-4 days and unnecessarily cumbersome. Our bank wanted a hand-written letter of authority before they would do it without our presence at the bank.

John & Eirian

Hi everyone

Best wishes

Moira

My acknowledgement date was 28th june and the days/weeks are dragging now Moira, immigration seem to be so slow with allocation of CO's none since may on the tracker. It's also outside agencies that are slow like centrelink who also seem to be holding people up in the process. Each day is a torment when there's no news on a CO but i try to keep focused on the outcome and like you say this time next year we should all be settled......... ( if all goes to plan :) )

Best wishes Ann

Yes, Transferring money into your daughter's account and getting her to make the payment is, by far, the easiest way, Moira.

A Banker's cheque can take 3-4 days and unnecessarily cumbersome. Our bank wanted a hand-written letter of authority before they would do it without our presence at the bank.

John & Eirian

Exercise care - I believe DIAC doesn't like VACs being paid by way of personal cheques.

Payments by bank cheque or credit card are preferred.

Best regards.

My acknowledgement date was 28th june and the days/weeks are dragging now Moira, immigration seem to be so slow with allocation of CO's none since may on the tracker. It's also outside agencies that are slow like centrelink who also seem to be holding people up in the process. Each day is a torment when there's no news on a CO but i try to keep focused on the outcome and like you say this time next year we should all be settled......... ( if all goes to plan :) )

Best wishes Ann

So do you think those names at the top of the tracker, say the first 8-10 names, do you think they have all either got their Visa or have been allocated a CO, but not updated the tracker?????

My acknowledgement date is now past one year and its "excruciatingly" slow going, the anticipation - I'm afraid I wake most mornings at 5a.m. and rush to check email!

My 7 year old grandson today said (big sigh) "but Nanny Val WHEN are you coming to live here? How many more sleeps? I miss you......." Oh the agonising reply - I don't know yet, but soon!

Come on DIAC - get a move on! PLEEEEEEASE.......

So do you think those names at the top of the tracker, say the first 8-10 names, do you think they have all either got their Visa or have been allocated a CO, but not updated the tracker?????

My acknowledgement date is now past one year and its "excruciatingly" slow going, the anticipation - I'm afraid I wake most mornings at 5a.m. and rush to check email!

My 7 year old grandson today said (big sigh) "but Nanny Val WHEN are you coming to live here? How many more sleeps? I miss you......." Oh the agonising reply - I don't know yet, but soon!

I have come to think they have not updated the tracker seems to much of a gap doesn't it, ?

I am camping out in a bedroom at my daughters house, i rented my home out to a lovely family on 1st June, i have a few comforts in a double bed and cable tv , other than that i am surrounded by my boxes i intend on shipping, clothes rails and 2 dogs in dog beds i thought it would be bareable for a few weeks but now i fear for my sanity, i shall be checking into re-hab as soon as i arrive in Perth at this rate with the glasses of wine i am convincing myself i am worth with all the stress :wacko: i wake early too, and if i wake at 2am then i can forget about dropping off again as i only need one little thing to pop in my head and thats that i am afraid.

I am exporting my 2 little pooches but can't book them into quarentine until i have a rough idea when i shall be on the move same with the boxes, it's like being stuck in limbo. My first grandchild is due 3rd october so fingers crossed i am there for his arrival i so want to be there to be with my son and share the celebrations with family.

So cute your grandson is counting his sleeps.

Quite agree for DIAC to get moving so many frantic parents on the tracker :notworthy: Ann

I can't wait to update the tracker Val - our acnowledgement date was 24th May 2011. Every morning I wonder if this will be the one when we hear some news. Our agent emailed us on Friday and said if he doesn't hear something on Monday he intends to escalate things. So I am hoping against hope that we will have news this week. It is quite agonising!

Watch this space!

Exercise care - I believe DIAC doesn't like VACs being paid by way of personal cheques.

Payments by bank cheque or credit card are preferred.

Best regards.

Is credit card an option? Our letter didn't suggest it is! Straight choice between personal cheque or ban cheque, it said.

Why do they make this so difficult?

Regards.

John & Eirian