Guest guest36187

Hi Linday,

We must have both been typing at the same time! But both our replies prove that there is no definate set time for the 173>143. It takes as long as it takes as we have found out (mainly due to Centrelink dragging their feet) but hey-ho we'll get there in the end.

Val x

Yes, we are at the mercy of Centrelink and I think it depends on how efficient the Centrelink office is that your sponsor deals with. In our case it took them ages to deal with it in Brisbane.

Yes, we are at the mercy of Centrelink and I think it depends on how efficient the Centrelink office is that your sponsor deals with. In our case it took them ages to deal with it in Brisbane.

Yes we're at the mercy of Centrelink in Brisbane too. They have asked my daughter for the $14000 but ANZ will only let me transfer $1000 per day into her account! I have been up all night ringing Australia trying to get to speak to someone who can help me. In the end the lady in the ANZ branch in London has sorted me out! I never thought about checking the limit when we opened the account while we were there last year. I ought to have given my daughter access to my account too but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I'd better get on with sorting the final VAC cheque now if its taking this long to do the Centrelink payment. Nobody could ever accuse us "Parents" of not moving heaven and earth to be with their kids could they?

Val x x

Well folks, was up all night last night trying to get my branch manager at ANZ to do a simple online transaction of $14000 to my daughters account. You would think I had asked her to break the law!

I solved my problem by ("borrowing") 10k from our business account, transferring it to our personal account and then forwarding it to one of those foreign exchange dealers in London. 3 clicks of a mouse and it was done! Rubbish exchange rate but needs must!

Are all Australian banks so behind with online banking? Can anyone recommend a bank that doesn't stop you spending your own money in amounts of $1000 or less per day?

All advice gratefully received.................................Val x

Edited by vava
spelling error

Well folks, was up all night last night trying to get my branch manager at ANZ to do a simple online transaction of $14000 to my daughters account. You would think I had asked her to break the law!

I solved my problem by ("borrowing") 10k from our business account, transferring it to our personal account and then forwarding it to one of those foreign exchange dealers in London. 3 clicks of a mouse and it was done! Rubbish exchange rate but needs must!

Are all Australian banks so behind with online banking? Can anyone recommend a bank that doesn't stop you spending your own money in amounts of $1000 or less per day?

Val, see if there is a link in your oz bank account to up the amount to 10,000 to transfer in a day, i did this on my westpac account, not sure if it's under options but keep clicking through the info on your account and see if you can find it. I used HIFX and done the transfer on line to my oz account. I spoke with westpac in London and was assured the most to be transfered in a day from my bank account is $10,000, it was set at $5,000 but i was able to up it to $10,000. Hope you find it. Ann

I have Westpac account and you can transfer 10k a day, for the second VAC I set up 4 consecutive payments

dave

Thanks for all the feedback re bank accounts. In the several phone conversations with various ANZ employees, none of them could offer me the option to increase the daily limit over $1000. Everything they suggested would have taken over a week to put in place. I have written to the manager to ask her to let me know the proceedure for closing my accounts. I'll do a bit of research to see which bank will be the best to suit my needs and I'll sort it out when we go in November.

Thanks once again all,

Val x x

Guest guest72525
Thanks for all the feedback re bank accounts. In the several phone conversations with various ANZ employees, none of them could offer me the option to increase the daily limit over $1000. Everything they suggested would have taken over a week to put in place. I have written to the manager to ask her to let me know the proceedure for closing my accounts. I'll do a bit of research to see which bank will be the best to suit my needs and I'll sort it out when we go in November.

Thanks once again all,

Val x x

Sorry last bit of feedback: I can transfer $20 000 per day with my NAB account!

We use NAB and they've given us great service so far. On-line is easy too and any glitches are easily sorted out at our local branch even though its not where our account is held.

Another step closer - won't be long now!

Thanks once again all,

Val x x

We bank with Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Val, and I managed to up our limit to $100,000 online (or was it by phone to the bank?!) just before having to pay the second VAC by online transfer. Foiled by CPA in Perth accepting nothing but personal cheque or bank cheque!

John & Eirian

Can i ask how long it took for you on getting a CO after recieving the letter or email from DIAC to start getting your medicals, police checks and form 80 done, i recieved my email 25th May. This last bit of waiting is the worst than the very begining i dash home from work to check my email hoping to hear the good news, cheers... Ann:confused:

Hi Ann, I'm sure it won't be long now.

We got our letter from DIAC on 7 Feb this year, telling us we'd get a CO within 4 months.

In fact we got our first mail from our CO on 14 March, asking for Meds and Police checks.

We'd already sent off our Meds and Police checks well in advance - meds in July 2010!

Our CO was just great - every mail to her was responded to overnight.

Our final mail from her asking for the 2nd VAC was on 2 April! Nisa granted in all but name.

Eight weeks from start to finish!

Were we just lucky or was it because all our paperwork had been lodged well in advance?

Good luck; you're almost there!

John & Eirian

To be eligible for the Seniors Card you have to be over 60 and for the Commonwealth Seniors Card it is 65 and resident for 2 years.

Ian

Not quite true, Ian.

You're right about the Seniors card but not the Commonwealth Seniors card.

You don't need to be resident for 2 years for the latter.

Document Ci010.1203 "Info on Commonwealth Seniors Card states requirements for eligibility as :

* be resident i.e. moved to Australia

* reached age pension age

if born between 1 Jan 46 and 30 June 47 - 64 for women, 65 men

if between 1 July 47 - 31 Dec 48 - 64.5 for women and 65 for men

if between 1 Jan 49 - 30 June 52 - 65 & 65

if between 1 July 52 - 31 Dec 53 - 65.5 and 65.5

between 1 Jan 54 - 30 June 55 - 66 & 66

between 1 July 55 - 31 Dec 56 - 66.5 and 66.5

From 1 Jan 57 - 67 & 67

* not be receiving a Dept of Veterans Pension or Benefit

* have an anual adjusted taxable income less than the relevant income limits (50k pa for single, $80k combines pa for couple, $100k pa combined for couples separated due to illness, respite care or one in prison

* provide Centrelink with your (and your partner's) tax file number or be granted an exemption from doing so.

We've been here in Sydney for three weeks now, sorting out all the requirements for driving license, Medicare, Senior Card, Commonwealth Senior card, apartment, car, etc., etc. Almost all done!

The tax file number is essential for most things, so I'd advise you to get this done the minute you arrive in Australia. It takes up to 28 days to get this, apparently.

Also essential is an address, so use your son/daughter's address while you look for your own place. This is needed for an Australian driving license too; also, buying a car, etc.

Having said all this, it's amazingly easy compared to the UK. We've done the lot in three weeks, even at our advanced ages of 65 & 64!

We'd be happy to advise more on any of these things, having had so much help ourselves from this forum to get us here.

Good luck.

John & Eirian

Not quite true, Ian.

Document Ci010.1203 "Info on Commonwealth Seniors Card states requirements for eligibility as :

From 1 Jan 57 - 67 & 67

* have an anual adjusted taxable income less than the relevant income limits (50k pa for single, $80k combines pa for couple, $100k pa combined for couples separated due to illness, respite care or one in prison

* provide Centrelink with your (and your partner's) tax file number or be granted an exemption from doing so.

We've been here in Sydney for three weeks now, sorting out all the requirements for driving license, Medicare, Senior Card, Commonwealth Senior card, apartment, car, etc., etc. Almost all done!

The tax file number is essential for most things, so I'd advise you to get this done the minute you arrive in Australia. It takes up to 28 days to get this, apparently.

Also essential is an address, so use your son/daughter's address while you look for your own place. This is needed for an Australian driving license too; also, buying a car, etc.

Having said all this, it's amazingly easy compared to the UK. We've done the lot in three weeks, even at our advanced ages of 65 & 64!

We'd be happy to advise more on any of these things, having had so much help ourselves from this forum to get us here.

Good luck.

John & Eirian

Further to this, I know that, like us, many of you will be worried about the cost of prescriptions.

here are the details.

For those with Commonwealth Seniors card, $5.80 per item on each prescription; for others,up to $35.40, depending on actual cost. Most items are a lot less than this max, as drugs are cheap in Oz.

When total payments by a FAMILY reach a certain total (threshold) a lower charge kicks in for costs after that...

for Commonwealth Seniors, FREE; for others they drop to the concessional charge $5.80

Hope this is useful.

John & Eirian

Hi

Yes I understand this but I wanted to invest the income from my UK pension. Sorry that I didn't explain this very well.

Charlie

Just discovered that if you are over 60 and under 65, you can make a one-off investment of any spare cash into a "retirement fund". This can be whatever you like - fixed term deposits, bonds or shares or any combination of these. The maximum limit for the transfer is $450,000.

All income/interest of the fund and any other drawings of capital are totally free of tax.

John & Eirian

Further to this, I know that, like us, many of you will be worried about the cost of prescriptions.

here are the details.

For those with Commonwealth Seniors card, $5.80 per item on each prescription; for others,up to $35.40, depending on actual cost. Most items are a lot less than this max, as drugs are cheap in Oz.

When total payments by a FAMILY reach a certain total (threshold) a lower charge kicks in for costs after that...

for Commonwealth Seniors, FREE; for others they drop to the concessional charge $5.80

Hope this is useful.

John & Eirian

The threshold is per year, I should have said.

John

The threshold is per year, I should have said.

John

Some prescriptions even with a pension card are more expensive however, and some if not on the list have to be paid for in full. I have a prescription which costs me over 40 dollars a month and a couple of others where I have to pay more than the $5.80.

If you take a lot of medication you will reach the threshold, however if you are just taking standard stuff then its unlikely that you will meet the threshold and if you do it will be about November every year so you only have one month free and they are very strict will only allow you the one prescription.

A lot of doctors do not bulk bill but they do charge a lesser amount to pensioners. We pay $55.00 where we go and the full paying pay $65.00. We get thirty odd dollars back, never remember the amount. Been tghe same for yonks though, docs prices go up but not the rebate.

All extras have to be paid for like Physio unless it is done in a public hospital as part of treatment.

With private health there is gap to pay for any operation. Surgeons charge more than the medicare rebate when operating in a public hospital, if you have gap insurance on your private health then it may cover it however depends on the fund and the private hospital you use. Check that any private hospital you are going to use is on the list for your private health before going ahead with a booking.

Just discovered that if you are over 60 and under 65, you can make a one-off investment of any spare cash into a "retirement fund". This can be whatever you like - fixed term deposits, bonds or shares or any combination of these. The maximum limit for the transfer is $450,000.

All income/interest of the fund and any other drawings of capital are totally free of tax.

John & Eirian

Thanks so much for that information John and Eirian. We have most of our savings in ISA's here so it's good to know we can do something similar in Oz. Angie & Ted

Not quite true, Ian.

From 1 Jan 57 - 67 & 67

Good luck.

John & Eirian

Thanks for that. I have been waiting because the information we had was "For each card, recent migrants to Australia may be subject to a 104 week waiting period served inAustralia " but I will check this with Centrelink on Monday.

Regards

Ian

Very interesting and would like to know if anyone has managed to obtain the Commonwealth Seniors Card as we have tried at least twice at two different Centrelink offices and have always been told that we need to be resident here for two years to qualify for the card.

See below taken from the Centrelink website and the 2nd requirement which we are told is two years.

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card eligibility

To qualify for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card you must meet specific requirements.

To qualify, you must:

• be an Australian resident and currently living in Australia and
  • not be subject to a newly arrived resident’s waiting period and
  • have reached age-pension age but not qualify for a payment from us or from the Department of Veterans' Affairs and
  • provide us with your and your partner's tax file numbers, or be granted an exemption from providing your and your partner's tax file numbers, and
  • have an annual adjusted taxable income* of less than:
    • $50 000 (singles)
    • $80 000 (couples, combined), or
    • $100 000 (couples, combined, for couples separated by illness or respite care or of whom one partner is in prison).

*This limit is increased by $639.60 for each dependent child you care for.

Note: Dependants or partners of Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are not eligible for concessions using the cardholder’s card.

David

Edited by Durhamlad
corrected message

John & Eirian

This seems to be the same as the ceiling on making an undeducted contribution into superannuation:

http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/60489.htm&page=4&H4

A Self Managed Superannuation Fund might also be considered for larger amounts ($300k+ is generally considered to be the minimum value of assets for setting up a SMSF), when there are a wide range of investments available, including GBP denominated investments if you don't like the present GBP-AUD exchange rate.

Undeducted contributions are also possible when aged over 65, so long as a fairly generous work test can be satisfied.

Consider taking advice - ideally (I suggest) from someone independent, and not tied to an investment provider such as a bank.

Best regards.

Hi JohnandErien, We have just moved to Avoca Beach on the 26th June on a 173 Temp CPV, we will be applying for the 143 as soon as poss. We went to Medicare to ask about a Medicare Card and we were told that we couldn't have one until we had our permanent visas. The reason they gave us was that even though we are British Citizens, we have been living in the Republic of Ireland so we didn't qualify. I suppose that means we can't have a Senior Card also, I can't understand this as we were told by our rellie's here that we would be able to get both.

Any suggestions for us please as we are finding it a bit hard to get any information from the authorities here. We are aged 67 and 68 and although in good health it can be a bit worrying to think of what it would cost us if we fell ill in the future without the Medicare Card.

Thanks Ann & Roy.

Very interesting and would like to know if anyone has managed to obtain the Commonwealth Seniors Card as we have tried at least twice at two different Centrelink offices and have always been told that we need to be resident here for two years to qualify for the card.

See below taken from the Centrelink website and the 2nd requirement which we are told is two years.

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card eligibility

To qualify for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card you must meet specific requirements.

To qualify, you must:

• be an Australian resident and currently living in Australia and

• not be subject to a newly arrived resident’s waiting period and

• have reached age-pension age but not qualify for a payment from us or from the Department of Veterans' Affairs and

• provide us with your and your partner's tax file numbers, or be granted an exemption from providing your and your partner's tax file numbers, and

• have an annual adjusted taxable income* of less than:

• $50 000 (singles)

• $80 000 (couples, combined), or

• $100 000 (couples, combined, for couples separated by illness or respite care or of whom one partner is in prison).

*This limit is increased by $639.60 for each dependent child you care for.

Note: Dependants or partners of Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are not eligible for concessions using the cardholder’s card.

David

I hope you are wrong, David.

The requirements I posted were taken from the actual paper form (ref quoted) which I got when I went to CentreLink in Warringah Mall near Manly. I spoke to an adviser there, who actually ticked off all our qualifying requirements then and there.

Fingers crossed.

I'll keep you posted.

John & Eirian.

Hi JohnandErien, We have just moved to Avoca Beach on the 26th June on a 173 Temp CPV, we will be applying for the 143 as soon as poss. We went to Medicare to ask about a Medicare Card and we were told that we couldn't have one until we had our permanent visas. The reason they gave us was that even though we are British Citizens, we have been living in the Republic of Ireland so we didn't qualify. I suppose that means we can't have a Senior Card also, I can't understand this as we were told by our rellie's here that we would be able to get both.

Any suggestions for us please as we are finding it a bit hard to get any information from the authorities here. We are aged 67 and 68 and although in good health it can be a bit worrying to think of what it would cost us if we fell ill in the future without the Medicare Card.

Thanks Ann & Roy.

Yes, that is true, Ann & Roy,

Having a permanent visa is necessary before you can get a Medicare card. They checked the paper visa in our passports. I'm surprised they don't consider a 173 to be (almost) permanent, but c'est la vie!

Hope all is sorted soon and that you get your 143 quickly.

John & Eirian

This seems to be the same as the ceiling on making an undeducted contribution into superannuation:

http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/60489.htm&page=4&H4

A Self Managed Superannuation Fund might also be considered for larger amounts ($300k+ is generally considered to be the minimum value of assets for setting up a SMSF), when there are a wide range of investments available, including GBP denominated investments if you don't like the present GBP-AUD exchange rate.

Undeducted contributions are also possible when aged over 65, so long as a fairly generous work test can be satisfied.

Consider taking advice - ideally (I suggest) from someone independent, and not tied to an investment provider such as a bank.

Best regards.

Thanks, alan.

However the advice I'm getting from several sources is that if you are over pensionable age and already drawing pension(s) from the UK, you cannot set up a self-managed super fund.

Also, when GBP denominated investments are so unattractive at the mo, why would one prefer these to Oz ones? e.g 2.5% fixed interest over 12 months v 6.2% interest on an on-demand basis?

Is this incorrect?

John & Eirian