Guest guest36187

Hi Fran, thanks very much for you words of support. It does really help to know that you're not alone. I'm very glad I joined POI when I did. Hope all goes well for you in your quest.

Best wishes

Angela

Hi Angela, I know exactly how you feel about the length of time of this application. I applied for a 173 (temporary Parent Visa) last September, would love to apply for the 143 but dont have the funds. I thought I was going to be going soon, but got word from DIAC today that it will be 3 to 5 months before I get a CO, am unemployed so the time is just dragging. On a positive note you have August to look forward to. Its a long road but you have your young and have a long and happy time over there to look forward to. Keep the chin up. Sorry can't be of any help re the one year visa. I have been told ok that you can get a long term visitor visa and my son was telling me that you can do a visa run for about 300 dollars to New Zealand, it would be a late flight at night and back the next day to validate your visa if you were in Aus when the visa came thro. Keep the chin up. Fran (A gatecrasher from Ireland on the PIO page).

I have some news at last! Received a letter in the post today from DIAC regarding getting medicals and PCC's done etc. HURRAY!!!! At last!!!! It states at the top of the letter "sent via email" - which I have not received, hence posted as presumably email would have bounced back to them as I noticed they have incorrect email address as "a01" instead of "aol" seems a bit of an odd error to me, but hey-ho! The letter also states a Case Officer will assess our application within four months. Happy Days!!!

Val x

Brilliant news. It must be so good to think that something is happening at last.

Best wishes Moira

I have some news at last! Received a letter in the post today from DIAC regarding getting medicals and PCC's done etc. HURRAY!!!! At last!!!! It states at the top of the letter "sent via email" - which I have not received, hence posted as presumably email would have bounced back to them as I noticed they have incorrect email address as "a01" instead of "aol" seems a bit of an odd error to me, but hey-ho! The letter also states a Case Officer will assess our application within four months. Happy Days!!!

Val x

Hi Val. Great news!. I had an idea that you would not be far behind us hearing something. Might have been the same day if they had got your email address right!! :) Nearly there!!! Angie

Edited by brummiebabies

... my son was telling me that you can do a visa run for about 300 dollars to New Zealand, it would be a late flight at night and back the next day to validate your visa if you were in Aus when the visa came thro. Keep the chin up. Fran (A gatecrasher from Ireland on the PIO page).

G'Day

One small warning/correction:

We asked about this, and Perth replied that it often happened, BUT you must liaise with your CO, and let him/her know that you are in Oz on a visitor visa. Then they will warn you when the visa is about to be granted, as you have to be out of Australia when this is done. Then they issue the visa, and you can return from NZ (if you are on the E coast – perhaps Singapore or Bali if in Perth) to have it validated.

Takes a few more days, but it's much cheaper than returning to Blighty!!

Good luck, Mike

Hi Angela. You are in good company here - we all have the same objective but varying circumstances. How great that you have sold your house! That's a real bonus.

We have just heard from Australia, 12 months after our initial application was acknowledged. They say a case office will be allocated in a few months and have asked us to arrange medicals and police checks in the meantime, so I think the waiting time for us will be 14-16 months. Good luck with everything. Angie

G'Day

One small warning/correction:

We asked about this, and Perth replied that it often happened, BUT you must liaise with your CO, and let him/her know that you are in Oz on a visitor visa. Then they will warn you when the visa is about to be granted, as you have to be out of Australia when this is done. Then they issue the visa, and you can return from NZ (if you are on the E coast – perhaps Singapore or Bali if in Perth) to have it validated.

Takes a few more days, but it's much cheaper than returning to Blighty!!

Good luck, Mike

Hi Mike, thank you for that information, I am thinking of heading over before my CO is allocated, all my documents are in Perth and got the email saying I will have a CO in next 3 - 5 months. Do you think it would delay getting the CO if I did go over and wait there and would the CO let you know in time to get out to NZ . Many thanks to all on this site for their help.

Hi Mike, thank you for that information, I am thinking of heading over before my CO is allocated, all my documents are in Perth and got the email saying I will have a CO in next 3 - 5 months. Do you think it would delay getting the CO if I did go over and wait there and would the CO let you know in time to get out to NZ . Many thanks to all on this site for their help.

Hi again

I think the main thing is to keep the PVC informed of your movements and dates, before you go to Oz and particularly when you get a CO and are asked for meds and police checks. There's no harm in contacting you CO in person, saying that you are in Oz and ask to be warned in good time when the visa is about to be granted (soon after the 2nd VAC payment), and telling him/her where and when you are going overseas for the visa to be granted – including which High Commission / Consulate you will go to (if you do) in order to get the visa label fixed in your passport.

Good luck, Mike

Guest Cathwotherspoon

OMG - just received acknowledgement of my 173 application. So excited - and I can now add myself to the tracker. The letter estimates 14 months from now for a case officer.

Cath

OMG - just received acknowledgement of my 173 application. So excited - and I can now add myself to the tracker. The letter estimates 14 months from now for a case officer.

Cath

Congratulations Cath, You can relax now (hahaha)

Regards,

Val x

Hi Mike, sorry for wrecking your head, but if I apply for the visitor visa, will it effect my application for the 173 visa. I got quoted 150 euro from visa first in Ireland to get the 6 month one, I thought that was a bit steep. Would I be better off getting the 3 month one and then getting it renewed. I intend going early August. One more question, could I book the flight for 2nd August if I applied for the tourist visa, would I get it in time if I applied for it this week. Many thanks again.

Cath

Hi Cath, fantastic news - so exciting isn't it! Congratulations on getting over the first hurdle!

Val x

Hi Mike, sorry for wrecking your head, but if I apply for the visitor visa, will it effect my application for the 173 visa. I got quoted 150 euro from visa first in Ireland to get the 6 month one, I thought that was a bit steep. Would I be better off getting the 3 month one and then getting it renewed. I intend going early August. One more question, could I book the flight for 2nd August if I applied for the tourist visa, would I get it in time if I applied for it this week. Many thanks again.

Why not apply for a six- (or 12-) month visa online via http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/visitors.htm? If you get a 3-month eVisitor visa you have to leave Oz to get a new one, as it can only be issued to people out of the country.

You need to declare that you are a 173 applicant, and want that to stand – and you need to tell PVC that you are applying for a e676 so that you can spend time with your family while waiting for the 173 application to be processed.

I don't think you should then have any problem, but if in doubt I suggest you get your son/daughter to talk to the Parent Visa Centre people in Perth.

Sorry, I don't know how long the visitor visa would take to process, but I think it's quite quick. But to be safe, I would myself wait to hear before booking a flight.

Mike

Val x

Don't worry about the four months, Val. That's their standard line, so expect your CO in 4-5 weeks and all hell breaks loose after that. We got our visa granted within 7-8 weeks of that letter!

Exciting days for you!!

Good luck.

John & Eirian

The cost of the 676 12 month tourist visa is $110 if you apply online. My son applied for this about 18 months ago and it came through in a couple of days, They do ask for proof that you can support yourself in Australia for that time. As he was staying with my daughter she sent an email to say she would offer board and logding which he scanned and submitted. He also submitted a scan of his bank account showing he had funds to support himself. Hope this helps.

Edited by Linday

Great news Cath! Believe me the next 14 months will just whizz by :)

Angie x

The 14 months really do whizz by.

We can't believe that the finishing post is in sight. Apartment agreed for purchase, Visas sorted, Medicare arranged, even got the forms for Senior cards to help pay for apartment! ? . What could be more perfect? We cannot believe that we'll be here for good by October. Suddenly, it's a crazy whirl!

You'll find the same - after months of "nothing at all" suddenly it all happens.

Good luck and holy patience.

John & Eirian

Cath

Hi Cath,

Even getting onto the tracker makes you feel good.

I remember well 14 months ago that it was a journey into eternity, yet we have arrived now 15 months later. Amazing how time flies, even when it drags so!

John & Eirtian

Hi John and Eiran, I got that letter from the DIAC too, in May, so my meds and police clearance are in Perth. Think I will hold tough and hope that the CO will be granted sooner than the four months. Am getting second thoughts about heading out and waiting for the CO over there, cos I am depending on finding work and would have to wait for the visa for that and again I would have to travel to NZ to validate, all extra money.

The cost of the 676 12 month tourist visa is $110 if you apply online. My son applied for this about 18 months ago and it came through in a couple of days, They do ask for proof that you can support yourself in Australia for that time. As he was staying with my daughter she sent an email to say she would offer board and logding which he scanned and submitted. He also submitted a scan of his bank account showing he had funds to support himself. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Linday, after a sleepless night (one of many) I have decided I'll wait for the CO, see my reply to John and Eirian. Thanks again, Fran.

Hi John and Eiran, I got that letter from the DIAC too, in May, so my meds and police clearance are in Perth. Think I will hold tough and hope that the CO will be granted sooner than the four months. Am getting second thoughts about heading out and waiting for the CO over there, cos I am depending on finding work and would have to wait for the visa for that and again I would have to travel to NZ to validate, all extra money.

Exactly, Summerdaisy.

We guess that you'll get your CO in 2 months and then your visa 4 weeks after that.

I'd say wait and see, even to to save money and complication.

Great luck!

John & Eirian

And also on a tourist visa you would have to buy a return flight (so I've been told on here) but for the sake of waiting a few extra weeks and getting your 173/143 visa you would only have to get a one way ticket! This was our plan once we got through the long dark winter months, we decided to hang fire and not go Feb/March/April time but just sat tight and think that flights and spending money x 2 (in our case) = cost of car or shipping our stuff over, or a host of other things we will be needing once we get there!

Val x

Thanks for the wishes John & Eirian, would be great if I did get the CO that soon, tho my acknowledgement date was September 2011 and the average wait on the tracker seems 14 months, is this a new thing looking for the meds and police checks before getting a CO. This is really a great site for information. All the best to you both, Fran.

Thanks for the wishes John & Eirian, would be great if I did get the CO that soon, tho my acknowledgement date was September 2011 and the average wait on the tracker seems 14 months, is this a new thing looking for the meds and police checks before getting a CO. This is really a great site for information. All the best to you both, Fran.

If you got your letter informing you that you'd get your CO within 4 months in May, I reckon you'll be getting one any day now, Fran. Fingers crossed for you!

John & Eirian

Hi

Are there any Australian super experts out there?

I am in receipt of a UK company pension and I pay Australian tax on this. Has anyone found a way to have some of a UK pension paid into an Australian super and hence save some tax.

I have spoken to a financial planning adviser but they couldn’t help on this.

Best wishes

Charlie