Guest guest36187

This isnt really an immigration question but somebody may know the answer. If I rent my flat for a couple of years when I move over and then sell it, would I have to pay capital gains tax? And can anyone point me in the direction of the link Alan Collett posted about tax a few weeks ago.

Best wishes Moira

Hi Moira

Here's the link Alan Collett posted. I haven't read it thoroughly yet but I believe it may give you the answer you need. Angie

Hi there Know how you feel I have been there please believe me when I say

this is the best move you will ever make. The big outlay of money we had

to pay is forgotten now. and we did not have a great deal of money. we

sold our council house in the uk. I am 63 my hubbie 68, and we have never been happier.

We do childcarefor our daughters mon tues wed, and i work thurs frid. we have bought our unit

(flat) which we never thought we could. Australia can be expensive, but only if you want it to be.

We manage fine and live within our means. We go to a doctor that is bulked billed ( that means

they send it straight to medicare and we dont have any outlay. We do pay for our medicines

and you can also get these cheaper if you shop around, and once we are here for two years

then my husband will get his for very little. all in all it is a decision we have never regretted.

Once you pay 2nd big money you are almost here. You will be a permanent resident the second you

get of the plane. I want to wish you all the best, and hope like us all your dreams will come true.

Keep positive this is a golden opportunity. Phyllis x

Guest Longtime Lurker
This isnt really an immigration question but somebody may know the answer. If I rent my flat for a couple of years when I move over and then sell it, would I have to pay capital gains tax? And can anyone point me in the direction of the link Alan Collett posted about tax a few weeks ago.

Best wishes Moira

I think this might be it? www.gmtax.com.au

Hi Thanks everyone . My friend, whose parents are waiting for a Case Officer , says thank you as well. Her parents are not members of the forum but love to keep tabs on any movements on the Tracker. Their acknowledgement date was July 2011 so should not be too long!

Marian

Thank you Phyllis for the very encouraging post. My Husband and I are 68 & 67, and we will be arriving in NSW on the 26th June on 173 visas.

Like you we will have to manage to buy somewhere that is within our means, but whatever we end up with we will be happy to be with our family. And we have a new Grandchild to look forward to in August which makes it even more special. Ann.

We were thinking of buying a new barbeque to tide us over this summer in England before emigrating for good in September.

Just when we had decided on make and model, we heard that UK BBQs don't work in Aus because of gas pressure settings or the type of gas itself.

Is this true? Can anyone who has actually taken their gas BBQ with them please enlighten us?

Many thanks.

John & Eirian

We were thinking of buying a new barbeque to tide us over this summer in England before emigrating for good in September.

Just when we had decided on make and model, we heard that UK BBQs don't work in Aus because of gas pressure settings or the type of gas itself.

Is this true? Can anyone who has actually taken their gas BBQ with them please enlighten us?

Many thanks.

John & Eirian

We brought our BBQ over and gave it to our son who changed the regulator and it works perfectly. If you get a BBQ fitted with a propane regulator then it will fit Aussie gas bottles.

Ian

After receiving conflicting info from dept immigration call centre I am wondering if anyone can help ? I am perm resident my sister has been living in Australia 2 years she has a defacto visa bridging and currently waiting for the temporary visa to be granted she won't have perm status for up to a further 2 years. My parents are wanting a parent visa willing to pay for contributory parent visa. Between me and my sister we have 4 children - their only grandchildren. We also have a brother who is single no kids and lives in UK.

First we were told that because my sister had been living here 2 years on a working holiday visa she was classed as living in Australia and our parents could apply immediately for their parent visa we have since been told my sister had to have been granted her permanent residency before our parents can apply. Not sure what is the truth now ??

Also can a contributory parent visa be lodged onshore in any circumstances with a bridging visa option to stay ?

My parents are currently onshore on a 1 year tourist visa which is due to expire shortly.

Both you and your sister will need to be permanent residents annd you will need to be deemed 'settled' - usually a period of 2 years. If one of the parents is over 65 they can apply onshore for an Aged Contributory Parent visa 864.

Hi all

this is a new discussion really so not sure if I am posting in the right place.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem to ours and what they decided to do.

I have a very elderly mother here in the UK who is still sprightly at 91 but would be very lonely if we left. Our daughter, our only chld, is a permenant resident in NSW and very unlikely to move away now. We have been toing and froing for seven years, but I long to be able to live, not in her pocket, but at least on the same continent - to do all those things we all wish to do when our kids are so far away.

I am trying to work out whether applying for a contributory parent visa during the next twelve months would be a good move. If it came through fairly quickly, I have been told you then have five years to make the final move. At the risk of appearing to be waiting for my mother to die, I am wondering whether that would be long enough. If we just wait and one or other of us develops a major health problem, then that's our dream finished. If, on the other hand we are obliged to go in order to fulfil our visa requirements, leaving my mother ....... Can anyone tell me what the situation is re: returning to the UK on holiday? I am really just desperate to get our names on a list SOMEWHERE before costs rise even more, before my husband changes his mind, before we get too old, before before before.

I feel so torn.

Hi all

this is a new discussion really so not sure if I am posting in the right place.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem to ours and what they decided to do.

I have a very elderly mother here in the UK who is still sprightly at 91 but would be very lonely if we left. Our daughter, our only chld, is a permenant resident in NSW and very unlikely to move away now. We have been toing and froing for seven years, but I long to be able to live, not in her pocket, but at least on the same continent - to do all those things we all wish to do when our kids are so far away.

I am trying to work out whether applying for a contributory parent visa during the next twelve months would be a good move. If it came through fairly quickly, I have been told you then have five years to make the final move. At the risk of appearing to be waiting for my mother to die, I am wondering whether that would be long enough. If we just wait and one or other of us develops a major health problem, then that's our dream finished. If, on the other hand we are obliged to go in order to fulfil our visa requirements, leaving my mother ....... Can anyone tell me what the situation is re: returning to the UK on holiday? I am really just desperate to get our names on a list SOMEWHERE before costs rise even more, before my husband changes his mind, before we get too old, before before before.

I feel so torn.

Hi

We have a similar situation with hubbys elderly mother :yes:

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but there is great support on here just make sure you keep checking in. I'll be interested to hear the answers to :biggrin:

Good Luck with it all :wink:

Phoebe

PS I agree about the support on here - I only know as much as I do because of the kind people on this site sharing their knowledge. Let me know if you have any major insights! Kath

Hi Kath

I just remembered seeing this from 'hitchers' not long ago it could be worth looking into :yes: crtainly got me thinking.

"One route, the route I have taken may suit your circumstances. It is a more expensive way but gives you more control. I applied for a 103 non contributory visa in early 2010. The time nor finances were right for a 143 application. I had no intention of waiting for the 15 years it would have taken. Earlier this year the it time was right to apply for a 143 contributory visa. The time waiting on the 103 was taken into consideration and I got a case officer within a few days of lodging the 143 application. It is more expensive as you have to pay he 1st fee again, but to be able to time it to my needs has made it worthwhile."

Phoebe

Hi Kath

A few years ago I would have been able to appreciate what you are going through........sadly I don't have my Ma with me now.

Can I now suggest that in 'not so many years time', you will be the 90 year old and would you want to stop your daughter doing whatever she wanted?

What happens now when you visit Oz?

I can remember my Mum on the top of the Heathrow airport car park (this was in the 60s before terrorism!!) waving goodbye to my brother as he left for Canada saying "I'll never forgive him!" She and my Dad went every year until my Dad passed on!.............and they both agreed what a good job he had done by moving!

Would she go with you?

Sorry I am rambling (can I blame the Queens jubilee celebrations????)

I do feel as torn as you but for different reasons.........

I have two daughters, one in Sydney, one about 100 yards away from me, both have children and my Aussie daughter is to produce another grandchild in October. Who gets me to look after their children? I feel bad leaving daughter here with her two to go to Oz to see new grandchild in November????

We are Mums, daughters, we also have to live our own lives. If you want go now GO!

I am sure I will feel bad in the morning for writing this, but it is what I feel...............

With you in many ways , Pam

Thank you Pam and Phoebe for your input. Phoebe I didnt know that time on the 103 list was taken into consideration if you swapped over. That is a really interesting thought - as you say, it offers a bit more control. Pam, I am beginning to think that you are right. I have a sister who lives two hours drive from me and she keeps an eye on mum when we go to Australia now. She has two adult children, both resident in this country (at the moment).

I am thinking that if we start the ball rolling next year, we will have a while to think more before the visa (and the big bill) comes in. At that time, if we go, we should be able to afford for me to come back once a year and stay for a couple of months. I know my mum wouldnt want me to stay here just for her .... I certainly wouldnt want my daughter to come back just for me.

Pam, I don't know if this is feasible for you but we met someone last time we were in oz, who spent six months in each country. Their UK son minded their UK home while they were in Oz and their Oz son minded their Oz holiday home while they were in the UK. Neednt mean expensive holiday home if your daughter can accomodate you. I am on a home swap jag at the moment - watch this space! Still doesnt resolve the eventual decision - the problem is always back to what happens when you can't do the long flights any more but would take care of a few years.

I have been thinking a lot about this recently because my daughter is buying a place in NSW - which makes her life there seem so much more permenant.

I have had such a sad/frustrated day today - I think its fantastic that there is a site like this to let off a bit of angst.

Thank you thank you!

Kath.

Thank you Pam and Phoebe for your input. Phoebe I didnt know that time on the 103 list was taken into consideration if you swapped over.

Kath.

I've just remembered I'm sure I asked this question via email to the DIAC website and was told the time didn't count :eek:

Can anyone else confirm it :biggrin:

Phoebe

I've just remembered I'm sure I asked this question via email to the DIAC website and was told the time didn't count :eek:

Can anyone else confirm it :biggrin:

Phoebe

They can take it into consideration. I don't think you will get a firm answer as to how much etc. each case will no doubt be assessed at the time. In my case I applied for a 103 in April 2010. I then applied for a 143, withdrawing the 103 in April of this year, I got a case officer at the beginning of May. In the acknowledgement correspondence it stated that time served on the 103 could be given consideration, but there was no indication of how much or when. You pay your money and take your chanch

Dave

They can take it into consideration. I don't think you will get a firm answer as to how much etc. each case will no doubt be assessed at the time. In my case I applied for a 103 in April 2010. I then applied for a 143, withdrawing the 103 in April of this year, I got a case officer at the beginning of May. In the acknowledgement correspondence it stated that time served on the 103 could be given consideration, but there was no indication of how much or when. You pay your money and take your chanch

Dave

Thanks for that Dave :biggrin:

Did you withdraw the 103 before/after or at the same time as you applied for 143? It's deffinatly a route I'm considering :yes:

Phoebe

• Like 1