Guest guest36187

So now we are busy scraping up even more $$$, in the expectation of a request for the 2nd VAC any day now!!!

Good luck! Mike

I'd advise you to transfer the 2nd VAC money to your S-i-L and get him to do the bankers draft/cheque, Mike & Sue.

There was no way we could get our Commonwealth bank in Manly to do the draft without a hand-written letter from us, authorising them to do so; the alternative was appearing in person at the bank!

Perth meanwhile, don't allow direct internet transfers ( cheque or bankers draft only) as methods of payment, so we had no option but to waste 10 days or so before the draft finally got to Perth.

Good luck - you're almost there!

John & Eirian

I'd advise you to transfer the 2nd VAC money to your S-i-L and get him to do the bankers draft/cheque, Mike & Sue.

John & Eirian

Hi

No – that's exactly how we'll do it, the same as for our 173 2nd VAC! My ref to C'wealth Bank was in relation to the AoS bond.

But DIAC really should move into the 20th (sic) century, and accept electronic transfers!

Mike

Edited by MikenSueNW3

Hi Val

How exciting. It sounds as if you are on home run. You say that you received the letter for your daughter to hand over to Centrelink, are you in Oz? or do they send you a copy of the letter in the UK.?

I am not expecting my CO until September but am panicking anyway.

Best wishes

Moira

Hi Moira,

No, we are still in the UK and will be for the foreseeable future. We are only doing the 173 to 143 application now because DIAC put the prices up every July 1st and the money is already in our ANZ account. I got the letter yesterday - they posted it to me in the UK and I had to then forward it by post to my daughter in Brisbane! They already know her address as our sponsor so why they couldn't just post it to her is beyond me! They have given us 28 days but I've a feeling we will be asking for more time.

My best advice is not to panic..............apart from the visa payment, the medicals and the police checks, everything else can be done at your leisure. We haven't even put our house on the market yet! We'll do it when we get back from our Christmas trip to see the new grandchild.

Go and enjoy this UK heat wave and have a glass of wine!

Best regards,

Val x

Well it's all suddenly happening! :arghh:

Not only did we manage to sell quite a few unwanted items on eBay over the weekend, but late yesterday afternoon we exchanged contracts on the sale of our London flat – and the buyers insisted (strongly) on completion no later than Monday 18 June, the day before the lease runs out on their rental. As they are paying over the asking price we could hardly refuse! (Recession, what recession? Not apparently in this neck of the woods.)

Today we had two shipping reps in – and two more tomorrow – and we're having to tell them we need to pack up on 14 and 15 June – that's just three weeks, including the extended bank holiday weekend. Just to ensure parking space for their van, we have to book a space with the local council by 3pm Monday at the very latest!

Cancel gym membership…redirect post…stop utilities…etc…etc…etc!

At least, come late June we can hopefully relax a bit. We won't be totally homeless, as we have a motorhome that we're planning to keep stored in the UK to use on periodic visits back here. (Probably appropriate that it's called a Hymer 'Tramp'!) So the plan is to spend the rest of the summer swanning around, going to a couple of weddings and a 70th birthday party of a friend, then fly off into the sunset about mid-September.

Sounds good, but at the moment I'm surveying 27 archive boxes and wondering whether we'll have room to put their contents… Oh, yes, and scanning the emails each morning to see if the PVC in Perth has written… And trying to guess the right time to transfer those $30k+ over to Oz to pay the 2nd VAC. Just as the £ starts to increase against the $A, the value of our unit trust savings drops like a stone…

The dream, the dream… Concentrate on that! This time next year it will all be a distant memory.

The greatest of good luck to all following the same path.

Mike & Sue

Hi Mike & Sue,

You have achieved loads these past few months! Well done with the flat sale. We took a leap of faith a few weeks ago and got 1.55. We weighed up the interest we get in Oz (4.5%) versus the poor exchange rate at the time, in the absence of a crystal ball we just said s*d it and did the deal!

The camper van sounds wonderful but I don't envy your packing up your stuff!

Keep us all posted - I'm looking forward to future installments!

Val x

Hi All

I am interested in comments/ suggestions about our situation. We are 60 / 62 only child in Sydney. My mother is 91 and we live near her, having moved back to UK three years ago from Belgium to be near her, keep an eye etc. We would not leave the UK while my mother is still alive. However, when my mum is no longer with us we may well decide to try for a CPV and move to be closer to our daughter. My big worry is that some awful health situation will overtake us before we can do this (husband has already had health issues - cancer in youth and some other probs e.g high blood pressure) I am wondering if there is any way we could apply for a visa now and let the application run its course while we are still in the UK.

Sorry this isnt very clear but I am groping for solutions here. We would be able to afford the CPV fees (as they are at present) but the health issues terrify me. Kat

G'Day Kath

Welcome to PomsinOz. I read your post with interest, and meant to reply earlier, but as you will see from my own latest post things have got a tad hectic of late.

I've posted you a private message ("PM" in the jargon) about medical issues.

Good luck, Mike

Well it's all suddenly happening! :arghh:

Not only did we manage to sell quite a few unwanted items on eBay over the weekend, but late yesterday afternoon we exchanged contracts on the sale of our London flat – and the buyers insisted (strongly) on completion no later than Monday 18 June, the day before the lease runs out on their rental. As they are paying over the asking price we could hardly refuse! (Recession, what recession? Not apparently in this neck of the woods.)

Today we had two shipping reps in – and two more tomorrow – and we're having to tell them we need to pack up on 14 and 15 June – that's just three weeks, including the extended bank holiday weekend. Just to ensure parking space for their van, we have to book a space with the local council by 3pm Monday at the very latest!

Cancel gym membership…redirect post…stop utilities…etc…etc…etc!

At least, come late June we can hopefully relax a bit. We won't be totally homeless, as we have a motorhome that we're planning to keep stored in the UK to use on periodic visits back here. (Probably appropriate that it's called a Hymer 'Tramp'!) So the plan is to spend the rest of the summer swanning around, going to a couple of weddings and a 70th birthday party of a friend, then fly off into the sunset about mid-September.

Sounds good, but at the moment I'm surveying 27 archive boxes and wondering whether we'll have room to put their contents… Oh, yes, and scanning the emails each morning to see if the PVC in Perth has written… And trying to guess the right time to transfer those $30k+ over to Oz to pay the 2nd VAC. Just as the £ starts to increase against the $A, the value of our unit trust savings drops like a stone…

The dream, the dream… Concentrate on that! This time next year it will all be a distant memory.

The greatest of good luck to all following the same path.

Mike & Sue

WOW Mike and Sue it's all happening for you :biggrin:

Good Luck with it all and remember to always believe in the dream :cool:

Phoebe

Hi Mike and Sue

Wow! In the housing market over here you are beyond lucky! Well done and good luck with the packing......

To anyone else that may be interested....... I am going to be a Grandma again in October!!

So excited!! Daughter, sil and Harry are coming over here in a couple of weeks for a couple of weeks and I am going back over to Aus when the new baby arrives. Flight booked, but going on my own this time. Hubby says 'it's a long way to see a baby and they don't do anything do they?" Men!!!

So many exciting things happening for the pio parents!!!!!!!!

Cheers all, Pam

Hi there Pam,

Wonderful news about the new grandchild! We're having another one too at the beginning of November, hence the reason for the trip at Christmas. We didn't intend going again until our "one way ticket" but there is no way we would miss welcoming a new family member in person.

You are very brave to go on your own!

Val x

Hi Val

Congratulations to you too!

I have done the trip before on my own, year before last for my 60th birthday and birth of my grandson. The scariest bit was buying the ticket, excitement took over after that!!!

Our trip last year (both of us) I tried to convince my other half to go for the cpv, but no way, even though we met Mike and Sue and others in Dee Why and they were all so positive and happy with their decisions.

Anyway, I'm doing the trip this time and again we are both going in March for our 40th wedding anniversary and obviously to see grandbaby.

I just love this site and feel part of the parents group here, even though we haven't applied for the visa. I haven't given up yet though!!!

I'll follow you all to the end of your journeys............

Pam

Hi Mike and Sue

Wow! In the housing market over here you are beyond lucky! Well done and good luck with the packing......

To anyone else that may be interested....... I am going to be a Grandma again in October!!

So excited!! Daughter, sil and Harry are coming over here in a couple of weeks for a couple of weeks and I am going back over to Aus when the new baby arrives. Flight booked, but going on my own this time. Hubby says 'it's a long way to see a baby and they don't do anything do they?" Men!!!

Cheers all, Pam

So happy for you and yes MEN :biglaugh:

Phoebe

G'Day again

Well, for once mentioning it in print hasn't jinxed anything. As mentioned in "Part I" we looked at emails this morning, and lo and behold there was the request from Perth for payment of the 2nd VAC.

Interestingly, we are given 70 days to pay not the usual 28 – perhaps it's because we already have current 173s. And, despite what I said last time, apparently they are struggling into the 20thC, as you can now pay online by PostBillPay.

But we're not tempting Fate further, and will pay as soon as we are able.

Many thanks to all the "community" for their best wishes – enjoy the trip, Pam, and I hope you are able to make it permanent one day. And congrats to daughter and S-i-L. We must meet again at one of the RSLs, and raise a glass of bubbles!

Mike & Sue

Edited by MikenSueNW3

Congratulations Pam, thats wonderful news

Best wishes Moira

Hi Mike and Sue

Cheers all, Pam

Hi all

I had a confusing situation with this site last week, when, having forgotten my password, I got a new one from the administrators and somehow acquired a new user name. Only realised when I posted. I complained to the admin and they gave me back my original user name - Fisher1. They also removed my posting (at my request) to avoid confusion. However I had a really helpful reply to this deleted post from Alan Collett. I havent replied because of all the confusion. I just wanted to say thanks for the info.

We are just beginning to think about following our daughter to Australia but our situation is complicated by my 91 year old mother who is in failing health and who we would not, could not leave. So caught between only child and elderly parent I am investigating possibilities of somehow getting our names 'on a list' without committing to a time scale. Seems like the Aged parent route would certainly give us plenty of time!

Anyway, thanks to all for the helpful info on these pages. I am starting to think it might just be a possibility one day. Kath

One route, the route I have taken may suit your circumstances. It is a more expensive way but gives you more control. I applied for a 103 non contributory visa in early 2010. The time nor finances were right for a 143 application. I had no intention of waiting for the 15 years it would have taken. Earlier this year the it time was right to apply for a 143 contributory visa. The time waiting on the 103 was taken into consideration and I got a case officer within a few days of lodging the 143 application. It is more expensive as you have to pay he 1st fee again, but to be able to time it to my needs has made it worthwhile.

Hi all

I had a confusing situation with this site last week, when, having forgotten my password, I got a new one from the administrators and somehow acquired a new user name. Only realised when I posted. I complained to the admin and they gave me back my original user name - Fisher1. They also removed my posting (at my request) to avoid confusion. However I had a really helpful reply to this deleted post from Alan Collett. I havent replied because of all the confusion. I just wanted to say thanks for the info.

We are just beginning to think about following our daughter to Australia but our situation is complicated by my 91 year old mother who is in failing health and who we would not, could not leave. So caught between only child and elderly parent I am investigating possibilities of somehow getting our names 'on a list' without committing to a time scale. Seems like the Aged parent route would certainly give us plenty of time!

Anyway, thanks to all for the helpful info on these pages. I am starting to think it might just be a possibility one day. Kath

G'day Kath

I sent a Private Message (on 24 May) to you under your previous/temporary name. I'm not sure if you received it, so I have now resent it to Fisher1.

All the best, Mike

One route, the route I have taken may suit your circumstances. It is a more expensive way but gives you more control. I applied for a 103 non contributory visa in early 2010. The time nor finances were right for a 143 application. I had no intention of waiting for the 15 years it would have taken. Earlier this year the it time was right to apply for a 143 contributory visa. The time waiting on the 103 was taken into consideration and I got a case officer within a few days of lodging the 143 application. It is more expensive as you have to pay he 1st fee again, but to be able to time it to my needs has made it worthwhile.

What an incredibly useful and helpful reply this is.

Practical and so sensible.

John & Eirian

This isnt really an immigration question but somebody may know the answer. If I rent my flat for a couple of years when I move over and then sell it, would I have to pay capital gains tax? And can anyone point me in the direction of the link Alan Collett posted about tax a few weeks ago.

Best wishes Moira