Guest guest36187

What great news! Not envious at all..........not much!!

Will come and find you when I visit again! My family there are looking to buy in Curl Curl or Collaroy.

Have a great new life.

Cheers Pam

edit: Sorry that reads like I am "coming to get you" ha ha

Should have said 'would love to come and meet you when I visit again.

Edited by Stellathedog

In order to sponsor your parents for a Contributory Parent Visa you or your brother would need to be 'settled'. This is normally a period of 2 years, although there is some debate on here about this. As your brother will be in Australia first they would seem to be the most obvious sponsor. However, they look at things like a permanent job, house, car etc. As there is only you and your brother they would pass the Balance of Family test. The Contributory Parent Visa is not cheap however - here's a link to the costs:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

The visa is currently taking around 12-14 months to process after application.

As they are under 65 they will need to apply for the visa offshore. One of them needs to be 65 in order to apply for the visa onshore and thus be granted a Bridging Visa to allow them to stay in Oz until the parent visa is granted. However they can visit Australia for up to 12 months on a visitor visa while they wait for the parent visa to be processed.

Thanks!!!

Ok.,.,

- so one will need to be 65(+) to apply onshore which is some 4 years off... (do`able but not preference).

- Offshore they can apply on my brother (or myself) soak up the 2 years of `settlement` .,.,.,.,.,., can this be at any age?

- if they apply offshore - can they still visit for the 12 months etc. on a tourist visa?

- What happens if the tourist visa runs out and they havent been granted the Parent Visa?

This is what i`m working out.... Brother lands in Aug12 > after 24 months parents apply for perminant visa in UK > then come over on a tourist visa > 1 year later or whilst `on tour` recieve parent visa.

Just wondering what red tape and financial implications are associated with this sort of time line? (any financial benifit for applying post 65 yr old?)

Ive highlight question in red.... thought it would be easier to pick out? kinda look aggresive... but its not meant to be...next time i`ll do it in pink... Honest.. just like i promised to check my spelling last time...:biggrin:

Hi Danny and Emma,

I'm no expert at this and would seriously suggest you ring a registered agent for the best advice (many will give you a free short telephone consult - mine did) but I'll give it a go. On the age front, my OH and I are 52 and 50 respectively and are in the process for a CPV. We have visited on the tourist visa many times during this process but only stay short periods due to work commitments more than anything. I believe you can stay easily for 3 - 6 months and up to 12 months. The tourist visa is not meant to be a pre cursor to a PR visa and so you would need to be very careful about trying to renew onshore, not sure that it is even possible - Quote - 'Generally, as a holder of a Visitor visa or Working Holiday visa you can only extend your stay in Australia so that the total duration of your stay is 12 months or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances'. Have a trawl through this - http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/

I'm not aware of any financial benefit of applying post 65. We have looked at this from all perspectives and although this process is costing us HUGELY financially, we feel we will benefit from applying and moving now rather than waiting. For one, we would be constantly flying to and from Australia to see our grandsons. We plan to work when we get there (fingers etc crossed). When we come to the point of drawing our pension, we will have been there long enough so we can claim the Aus equivalent which is presently higher than in UK but we are very aware that the buying power of it might not go as far as it seems.

I'm not sure if any of this helps. Try phoning/skyping an agent. We are using Ivan Chait. I'm sure we could have done the 143 without an agent but as we started out like you not having a clue which visa and options to go for, we got some clarity and decided to stick with it.

Regards

Kim

Thanks!!!

Ok.,.,

- so one will need to be 65(+) to apply onshore which is some 4 years off... (do`able but not preference).

- Offshore they can apply on my brother (or myself) soak up the 2 years of `settlement` .,.,.,.,.,., can this be at any age?

YES THEY CAN BE ANY AGE

- if they apply offshore - can they still visit for the 12 months etc. on a tourist visa?

YES THEY CAN COME ON A 12 MONTH VISITOR VISA

- What happens if the tourist visa runs out and they havent been granted the Parent Visa?

THEY WILL NEED TO LEAVE AUSTRALIA AND APPLY OFFSHORE FOR ANOTHER VISA.

This is what i`m working out.... Brother lands in Aug12 > after 24 months parents apply for perminant visa in UK > then come over on a tourist visa > 1 year later or whilst `on tour` recieve parent visa.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN, HOWEVER they will need to go offshore for the visa to be granted. Also, it is not always possible to anticipate when the visa might be processed, this link should give you some idea:

http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php

ONE THING YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF is that when shipping our furniture etc the removal company required evidence of our visa having been granted.

Just wondering what red tape and financial implications are associated with this sort of time line? (any financial benifit for applying post 65 yr old?)

There is no financial benefit to this. The only benefit is that they can stay in Oz till the visa is granted, but they will not be entitled to full Medicare rights.

Ive highlight question in red.... thought it would be easier to pick out? kinda look aggresive... but its not meant to be...next time i`ll do it in pink... Honest.. just like i promised to check my spelling last time...:biggrin:

Hope this helps.

Edited by Linday

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone here has an experience on 'non-migrating dependants'? Just been filling in my parents 143 application forms and also the dependant form for my sister who is 19. She is due to start University in Perth on the 20th of July so is flying out next month on a 3 year student visa. So she is financially dependant on my parents still but is not being included in their visa application as the VAC charge for a dependant over 18 is too much for them. The idea is that she will get an environmental science degree at Perth Uni, get a graduate visa and then be able to apply independantly for her own visa.

Any idea what we should put for why she is not migrating with them? Is it just a case of putting that she will be in Oz already on a student visa? My dad wants to put that the VAC is too expensive, but not sure that would be the right answer!

Thanks

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone here has an experience on 'non-migrating dependants'? Just been filling in my parents 143 application forms and also the dependant form for my sister who is 19. She is due to start University in Perth on the 20th of July so is flying out next month on a 3 year student visa. So she is financially dependant on my parents still but is not being included in their visa application as the VAC charge for a dependant over 18 is too much for them. The idea is that she will get an environmental science degree at Perth Uni, get a graduate visa and then be able to apply independantly for her own visa.

Any idea what we should put for why she is not migrating with them? Is it just a case of putting that she will be in Oz already on a student visa? My dad wants to put that the VAC is too expensive, but not sure that would be the right answer!

Thanks

If you are looking at applying for a 143 visa for your parents and you have only just got your visa then you seriously need to read booklet No 3. With regards to your sister, enter the truth. She is applying under a student visa.

If you are looking at applying for a 143 visa for your parents and you have only just got your visa then you seriously need to read booklet No 3. With regards to your sister, enter the truth. She is applying under a student visa.

I know what you're getting at, but my brother is the main sponsor has he's been in Australia nearly 3 years, just means now we have PR they have 2 out of 3 as resident in Australia.

Hi all, I feel as if we're the class of 2012!

Anyway, have received our Police Certificates yesterday, do I upload them and email them or d I post the originals to Perth Parent Visa Centre? I feel as though it may be best to wait for a CO but not sure why - I suppose in case it gets lost somewhere in the corridors of the PVC..... any advice? What did you do if you front loaded

Val x

hi Val & Matt,

As you will see on the Tracker, we front- loaded big time.

It worked really well for us. Once we got our CO, it took no time at all to get our invitation to pay the 2nd VAC. Once that happens, you know that it's all over and that you will get your visa.

In fact, our CO complimented us on our efficiency in getting medicals, pc, etc done so early. She said it made her job so much easier.

Good luck. I'm sure you won't have to wait long now.

John & Eirian

Hi all, I feel as if we're the class of 2012!

Anyway, have received our Police Certificates yesterday, do I upload them and email them or do I post the originals to Perth Parent Visa Centre? I feel as though it may be best to wait for a CO but not sure why - I suppose in case it gets lost somewhere in the corridors of the PVC..... any advice? What did you do if you front loaded.

Kx

PS we posted originals to Perth and kept copies. Then rang them to check they had arrived safely 10 days later.

J&E

Hi All, I have seen a thread on this forum about getting extra allowances when you have a parent migration visa, but I cant find it now. I just wonder if anyone can help. I will be getting a 173 visa soon (I hope):biggrin:and am asking if anyone knows about the extra baggage allowance and what airlines do it and if I could get it having a 173 visa. I will be flying from Ireland to Brisbane.

Many thanks, Fran.

Hey Mike & Sue,

All seems to be falling into place for you now - won't be long for the unmentionable thing either I'm sure! I'm waiting for my 173>143 acknowledgement - daughter only posted it last week so fingers crossed it will all be done and dusted by November. We have another grandchild due then so the flights are already booked!

Best of luck with everything!

Regards, Valx

G'Day Val

Just been away for the weekend, with no internet; great to forget things for a while! But this week we have shippers in to quote.

Good luck with your upgrade; judging by our times you should make it in time!

Mike

My apologies for the title it won't let me edit it should say Attention :err:

Hi everyone

To those of you who are renting their houses out here in UK while living in Oz :smile: I've been asking around generally but getting different answers so thought I would come to the source :biggrin:

If you are/are not an Oz resident (but living in Oz) do you have to pay tax on the rental income on the rent you get here or in Oz :eek:

I'm sure either way you will have to pay somebody :swoon:

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW

Depends on:

* whether you are a tax resident of Australia, and if so

* whether you can make use of Australia's temporary tax resident exemption

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks for your reply unfortunatly I'm not a lot wiser useless with anything realted to the 'T' word :confused:

Phoebe

That's why we're here! See: www.gmtax.com.au !

Best regards.

And worth your weight in gold as far as i am concerned Alan, i will check out the above as i shall be renting my house as from next month, i was under the understanding that i have to pay tax on the rental income here in the UK and and in Australia too as the rental income is classed as earnings in Australia. Although you still have your tax allowance in the UK so i don't think my rent income will be above that per tax year. I shall be working in Australia so will have to declare the income. Ann

Hi All, I have seen a thread on this forum about getting extra allowances when you have a parent migration visa, but I cant find it now. I just wonder if anyone can help. I will be getting a 173 visa soon (I hope):biggrin:and am asking if anyone knows about the extra baggage allowance and what airlines do it and if I could get it having a 173 visa. I will be flying from Ireland to Brisbane.

Many thanks, Fran.

If you are emigrating permanently then Singapore Airlines allows you 40 kg. Emirates already allow 30 kg anyway so won't give you any more. I don't know about any other airlines. I am not sure whether you would qualify on the 173 which is a temporary visa, it might be worth contacting Singapore Airlines to check. We were initially on a 173 but we came with Emirates so had a total of 60 kg check in baggage between two of us. We also sent a suitcase over a large suitcase - 40 kg via Seven Seas who will ship smaller boxes as well. It cost about £150 with insurance.

Many thanks, Fran.

Hi

It is correct that Emirates give a 30kg allowance as standard now plus 7kg hand luggage but when daughter emigrated she rang Emirates and asked for extra allowance as only going one way and they uped their allowances to 40kg so always worth asking any airline the question :yes: Good Luck

Phoebe

Hi.

* The timeline for the processing of a CP visa application is likely to be some 12 to 15 months.

* Given you apply for a subclass 143 visa (a permanent residency visa) you can then use the visa for the purpose of entering Australia for 5 years. In other words you then have 5 years to move to Australia on that visa.

* Remember you must validate the visa by entering Australia within 12 months of the date of medical examinations and police clearance certificates (whichever occurs first). This can be a holiday - no need to make the permanent move on that trip.

* See also the Resident Return visa requirements: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/

Remember also that lodging a CP visa application before the end of next month means you escape the inevitable increase in DIAC Visa Application Charges on 01/07/2012.

If you'd like to discuss maybe have a freebie chat with my colleague Marina Towner - T 023 80 30 25 25 (Southampton).

Best regards.

Many thanks, Fran.

Hi there,

Just from my own personal experience, Singapore Airlines allowed us each 30kg but only on the outbound journey of our validation trip after being granted our CPV 173. Their argument was that it was only a temporary visa and we were returning back to the UK six weeks later. It didn't particularly matter too much as we were going out there for Christmas so the extra allowance was taken up with presents and lots of chocolate! Emirates do give 30kg allowance as standard but I think they are much more expensive anyway. Just for comparison, I have booked flights for this coming November and returning on New Years Eve with Singapore for £1632 for two of us! Emirates and Etihad quoted almost £3000. So 20kg will have to do this time (even though we should have our 143 by then).

I emailed via their customer feedback form online and asked for the extra and said the I wished I had booked with Emirates and that seemed to do the trick! If you don't ask - you don't get!

Good Luck, Val x

G'Day Val

Just been away for the weekend, with no internet; great to forget things for a while! But this week we have shippers in to quote.

Good luck with your upgrade; judging by our times you should make it in time!

Mike

Hi Mike, Sorry I haven't replied before now but PIO emails seem to have stopped for some reason.

My question for you is; we got our acknowledgment letter from DIAC this morning dated 10th May 2012. With it is another letter to hand over to Centrelink when my daughter has her interview for the Assurance of Support. They have said they need the requested information within 28 days of receipt (today). Does this mean that we now have a CO or does it simply mean that the wheels are in motion? How long did your request for your sponsor to have the Centrelink interview take? It all seems to be happening a bit fast!

Hope you can help and good luck with the shipping quotes!

Regards, Val x

Hi Mike, Sorry I haven't replied before now but PIO emails seem to have stopped for some reason.

My question for you is; we got our acknowledgment letter from DIAC this morning dated 10th May 2012. With it is another letter to hand over to Centrelink when my daughter has her interview for the Assurance of Support. They have said they need the requested information within 28 days of receipt (today). Does this mean that we now have a CO or does it simply mean that the wheels are in motion? How long did your request for your sponsor to have the Centrelink interview take? It all seems to be happening a bit fast!

Regards, Val x

G'Day Val

You are definitely on the home run – maybe they are trying to collect in the $$$ before the end of the (Aussie) financial year on 30 June. As you'll see from our timeline, from request letter from the CO to AoS being approved and the $$$ being paid took about three weeks.

Mind you, we nagged our S-i-L to phone Centrelink in Sydney immediately to make the appointment. After a typical bureaucratic ***-up and double-booking over that, they saw him within about 10 days; then they acted pretty efficiently, issued the request for the deposit in C'wealth Bank and sent him a letter saying their approval had been forwarded on to Perth at the end of last week.

So now we are busy scraping up even more $$$, in the expectation of a request for the 2nd VAC any day now!!!

Good luck! Mike

Regards, Val x

Hi Val

How exciting. It sounds as if you are on home run. You say that you received the letter for your daughter to hand over to Centrelink, are you in Oz? or do they send you a copy of the letter in the UK.?

I am not expecting my CO until September but am panicking anyway.

Best wishes

Moira