Guest guest36187

Guest Gollywobbler
hi Gill

one more question i am in Australia for last 5 months and still looking for job, is it possible i can apply for my father's visa application CPV 173 now without having any job.

Hi Shaminder

Not if you intend that you should Sponsor your father's visa application, no. The Sponsor of a CPV applicant must be (a) a Permanent Resident of Australia; (b) closely related to the visa applicant - ie one of the children or that child's Partner; © the Sponsor must also be a *settled* Permanent Resident.

The term *settled* is not defined in the statute. However in that situation, you consult the Maquarie Dictionary in order to find out what this term means. According to Maquarie, the term "settled" means what you and I would think that it means. Please note that the Sponsor must be *settled* at the time when the visa application for a CPV is made.

The Sponsor undertakes to the Aussie Government that if the CPV holder arrives in Australia but falls on hard times during his first two years in Australia, the Sponsor will provide the CPV holder with an adequate home, clothing, food and enough cash to get by on. If you have bought a house and you can prove that you are so wealthy that you do not need to get a job in Australia, then I would suggest that you contact the PVC and ask them how they would feel if you were to Sponsor a CPV application in the near future. They are the people who would refuse to grant the CPV if they are not satisfied that the Sponsor was settled at the time when the application was made.

If they refuse to grant the visa, they will get to keep the $1,735 application fee and you would have to start the whole visa process again, with a new fee, once you are fully and properly *settled.*

If you think that, "Well, Guv, I only arrived 5 months ago and I am not hugely employable because I have not managed to find a job as yet...." sounds a bit thin from the point of view of claiming that one is *settled* I doubt that the reaction of the PVC would be a positive one.

I'm also dubious about why your father would want to apply for a temporary sc 173 anyway? The five years before he can sponsor his wife for a Spouse/Partner visa does not start to run until your father is a Permanent Resident. For this reason, most people considering this "split visa strategy" would choose to apply for a CPV 143 for the first Parent, so as to secure Permanent Residency for him with all possible speed.

Please also remember that your mother would have to undergo a full visa medical and she would have to pass it before the PVC would consider granting a CPV to your father. So unless your mother is healthy and it is likely that she would remain healthy for the next 2 or 3 years, you need to consider your strategy.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi King of duck

Thus, it will be around 12 years after we lodge 143 application that she can get Age Pension but she should be able to get Senior card after become PR for 2 year. Is that correct?

A CPV 143 grants immediate Permanent Residency in Australia. If your mother gets her CPV 143 and then moves to Australia and lives there permanently, she will be eligible for the Aged Pension 10 years after she moves to Oz. When you say 12 years, do you mean that your mother is likely to spend a total of 2 years visiting your sister in the US suring her first decade as a Permanent Resident of Australia?

Eligibility for Seniors Card (which is run by and in each of the States, I believe) does not require a qualfying period of residence in Oz, The Commonwealth Seniors Health Card does require 2 years' residence before one becaomes eligible to apply for it. I don't know why it is called a 'Health' card. Sure, the holder of a CSH Card can claim a reduced price for prescribed medications, but there are also perks such as a discount on rates for a property and rego for a car. Neither of those are 'health' matters, I wouldn't have thought. I suppose calling it the Commonwealth Seniors Health and Other Things Car is too much of a mouthful!

The benefits from the ordinary Seniors Card - and eligibility for the Card - depends on the State in which the Senior will be living. You need to study the website for the Card for the relevant State. It is probable that Mom will live in the same State as you, so which State do you live in, please?

Cheers

Gill

When you say 12 years, do you mean that your mother is likely to spend a total of 2 years visiting your sister in the US suring her first decade as a Permanent Resident of Australia?

I lodged 143 application last week. Since it will take about 2 years to get the application processd, plus with another 10 years AOS period I, therefore, assume it have to be another 12 years from now on. During the first few years of her PR, she'd probably stay with me 6-7 month each year and stay with my sister or some where else for the rest of the year :cute:

I live in NSW. Although I haven't planned anything but I wish to move to other state in the future. Thanks Gill!

Could anyone please advise the best way, apart from the credit card method, to send the 2nd vac across to CO. Have looked at getting a dollar bank draft and couriering it across, but the couriers wont do it. The London office exchange rate is rubbish, so any other suggestions.

Sandy:arghh:

Could anyone please advise the best way, apart from the credit card method, to send the 2nd vac across to CO. Have looked at getting a dollar bank draft and couriering it across, but the couriers wont do it. The London office exchange rate is rubbish, so any other suggestions.

Sandy

Hi Sandy

Assuming your fund are in sterling in the UK, Try HiFX (hifx.co.uk) Their rates are better than the banks and I'm fairly sure they will send a draft wherever you want it to go. Give them a call and explain. We used them in 2008/9 to move funds to Australia and the service was generally good.

Best of luck

Steve

Hi Sandy

Assuming your fund are in sterling in the UK, Try HiFX (hifx.co.uk) Their rates are better than the banks and I'm fairly sure they will send a draft wherever you want it to go. Give them a call and explain. We used them in 2008/9 to move funds to Australia and the service was generally good.

Best of luck

Steve

Given the amount of money involved I would also try Moneycorp and UKForex for a quote, last month when I did a transfer UKForex gave the best quote.

It costs nothing to register with these people so best use them all to find the best price.

Another option is to transfer the funds to your son/daughter and then get them to send a bankers draft for you to Perth.

As Steve said you are best not to use your UK bank for the currency conversion.

Guest Gollywobbler

Sandy:arghh:

Hi Sandy

Les and Steve are right. Stay away from the banks with the 2nd Instalment if you can. That said, I have heard of a case where an applicant for a Contributory Parent sc 143 visa asked HIFX to send his money for the 2nd Instlament direct to FIAC. Three weeks later, he found out that they had not done it.

Can you arrange for one of the currency exchange companies to credit an account held by one of your sons, so that he can then send a bankers draft to DIAC?

How did your son get on at his AoS interview on 11th August, by the way> I assume that there are no AoS hassles to worry about?

Cheers

Gill

To make the final payment we also moved funds into an Australian account and got the draft issued from there. Even that was not without its excitement. Banks must be such boring places to work, that they need to spice the working day up a bit.

Cheers

Steve

Guest littlewing

Hi all,

regards to the 2nd VAC, what if your dependent was 17 yrs when you lodged but is now 18? What visa charge does he pay now - the enormous amount or the lesser one?

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Hi Everyone

This is my first post but I have been following the Parents thread with great interest and have read all the posts. My daughter (my only child) her partner and 2 year old went to Brisbane 2 years past in June. She went on a student hairdresser visa, and as I think we all know, that skill was withdrawn earlier this year. That now leaves her on a bridging visa as she has had to lodge application for graduate visa. We are told the graduate visa may take 1 year, then presumably she will have to apply for PR. If she can get another job and sponsorship that would probably be the easiest way – she is actively seeking employment. My question is do I have to wait until they have PR before I can apply to go to Australia permanently – CPV143 I think, or is there any other way.

I read on one post about the term 'settled' so they have been 'settled' in Brisbane for 2 years but does that count for anything? Daughter is a fighter and is 'doing battle' at her end as they have been milked of every dollar, and as someone has said they are now 'legally imprisoned' as are so many families in the immigration process.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Kind regards

Cath

Hi Sandy

Les and Steve are right. Stay away from the banks with the 2nd Instalment if you can. That said, I have heard of a case where an applicant for a Contributory Parent sc 143 visa asked HIFX to send his money for the 2nd Instlament direct to FIAC. Three weeks later, he found out that they had not done it.

Can you arrange for one of the currency exchange companies to credit an account held by one of your sons, so that he can then send a bankers draft to DIAC?

How did your son get on at his AoS interview on 11th August, by the way> I assume that there are no AoS hassles to worry about?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Problem with putting it in one of the boys account is that it is treated as income by the tax people so he has to declare it. Rich was worried about that amount showing on his account. The AOS went like a dream and Rich accepted as a sponsor and Centrelink letting CO know last Monday. Sent last of documents yesterday, so just awaiting Colins meds to be cleared and then have to sort getting money over there. I just assumed you could courier a bank draft over to Perth, but they wont touch anything financial at all.I phoned HiFX and they said they would sort it when I needed to, but now you have scared me again. I have an London Transfer account ready with Commonwealth Bank who assured me ,when I opened it, they would send the money to my as yet unoped account in Melbourne then send a bank draft to Perth. When I spoke to a jobsworth about how long notice they needed, I was told I needed to go to London with ID to get the Melbourne account opened. He then said he would send a form for me to get my local bank to authorise our identity. He then announced that it would be a favour to send a bank draft from my account in Melbourn to Perth. He said he could send a dollar draft to me here and I could get it to Perth. When I asked how they would get it to me here from London.....royal mail of course and my risk. With a $68k draft you think I am going to risk snail mail and Aus Post with such a package !!!

He snottily said most people do that....yeah right. So back to square one again. So what do most people do. Not keen on credit card as reliant on their exchange rate. Every dollar counts boys......

regards

Sandy :arghh:

Hi all,

regards to the 2nd VAC, what if your dependent was 17 yrs when you lodged but is now 18? What visa charge does he pay now - the enormous amount or the lesser one?

It is age at time of application that counts - so the smaller charge that was applicable at time of application - currently A$1,640 but will be a bit less if you applied before 01 July 2010, and a bit less again if you applied before 01 July 2009.

Regards

Tony

Guest Gollywobbler
It is age at time of application that counts - so the smaller charge that was applicable at time of application - currently A$1,640 but will be a bit less if you applied before 01 July 2010, and a bit less again if you applied before 01 July 2009.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

Please can I take Littlewing's queston a step further?

Child is 17 when the CPV application is made. He is 19 by the time a CO gets involved. With CPVs, would they look at whether or not the child is still financially dependent on his Parents in the same way as they would with a skilled visa?

Many thanks.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Problem with putting it in one of the boys account is that it is treated as income by the tax people so he has to declare it. Rich was worried about that amount showing on his account. The AOS went like a dream and Rich accepted as a sponsor and Centrelink letting CO know last Monday. Sent last of documents yesterday, so just awaiting Colins meds to be cleared and then have to sort getting money over there. I just assumed you could courier a bank draft over to Perth, but they wont touch anything financial at all.I phoned HiFX and they said they would sort it when I needed to, but now you have scared me again. I have an London Transfer account ready with Commonwealth Bank who assured me ,when I opened it, they would send the money to my as yet unoped account in Melbourne then send a bank draft to Perth. When I spoke to a jobsworth about how long notice they needed, I was told I needed to go to London with ID to get the Melbourne account opened. He then said he would send a form for me to get my local bank to authorise our identity. He then announced that it would be a favour to send a bank draft from my account in Melbourn to Perth. He said he could send a dollar draft to me here and I could get it to Perth. When I asked how they would get it to me here from London.....royal mail of course and my risk. With a $68k draft you think I am going to risk snail mail and Aus Post with such a package !!!

He snottily said most people do that....yeah right. So back to square one again. So what do most people do. Not keen on credit card as reliant on their exchange rate. Every dollar counts boys......

regards

Hi Sandy

Could you not simply go to your bank here and transfer it to Australia. I have done business overseas in the past, I complete a form at my bank, they charge me (of course around £20) and pay the money into the overseas company account within about 4 days? :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi

Quick update, I have finally got all the forms, certificates etc together for CPV143, found a great courier online to do 'The Deed' at £19.20 door to door. It's a company I have used in the past and didn't realise they did international deliveries as well !!

Collection is arranged for Friday 20th August, just one question, once they receive the application and first installment, do they acknowledge it or do we have to rely on looking at the bank statements?

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

regards

Hi Sandy

Problem with putting it in one of the boys account is that it is treated as income by the tax people so he has to declare it. Rich was worried about that amount showing on his account.

Rich is merely "worried" hon! My sister was "worried stupid" and climbing the walls etc about this! I don't know how you define "income" for income tax purposes. I'd have thought that if somebody in Oz suddenly receives a large capital sum, the ATO would be more likely to look at whether they can treat it as a gift and tax it as a Capital Gain?

Anyhow, I trawled the ATO website and found a provision that says:

If somebody in Oz receives a chunk of money from a third party but he uses the money for the benefit of the third party, then the ATO ignore the transaction for tax purposes. Which makes sense because the Aussie Government clearly realises what will happen where visas are involved. I relayed this information to my sister Elaine. Frankly I don't think she listened to a word that I said about it! She was too busy worrying instead. We told her that Mum would pay any taxes on her behalf and put the money into her account. She was not taxed on the money.

so just awaiting Colins meds to be cleared

Have you tried chasing the Health Operations Centre to find out whether Colin's meds have cleared without any hassle? I suspect that they have cleared and that there is no hassle. You can use the on-line form to e-mail them and they reply within 3 working days (as DIAC require from all of their staff.)

About Health Operations Centre (HOC)

The CO will not bother to reassure you about Colin's meds because Form 47PA does not suggest that there might be anything wrong with him, whereas your own disability was flagged up on Form 47PA and DIAC know why your own meds were frontloaded. With someone like Colin, the COs assume that you will realise that there is no problem unless the CO tells you that there is a problem. It is easier to pester the HOC direct than to be a nuisance to your CO, I reckon. The HOC have no say about when the CO shoulld grant your visas......

I phoned HiFX and they said they would sort it when I needed to, but now you have scared me again.

There is no need to be scared. All it needs is a determination to ring up HIFX every day and make a serious pest of yourself until they confirm that they have sent the money to the PVC, when they sent it, how they sent it etc. The mistake that the other CPV applicant made was that he instructed HIFX to pay the PVC and he did not chase HIFX at all until 3 weeks later, when he chased their CO who said that the 2nd Instalment had not been received. The man chased HIFX at that stage, to discover that they had received his instructions but had not acted on them because they had npt understood what he wanted, so they had done nothing. Contacting the customer to query the instructions is too complucated, presumably..... The onus is on the customer to chase them every day, I suspect.

I have an London Transfer account ready with Commonwealth Bank who assured me ,when I opened it, they would send the money to my as yet unoped account in Melbourne then send a bank draft to Perth.

Mmmmmm. I am not sure about that. To start with, the CBA is a bank and they do tend to steal from you on the exchange rate - all banks do. Also, the account in Oz will not necessarily be activated until you pitch up at the branch in Melbourne with proof of your i/d and address. I wouldn't risk that money going into an account in Melbourne unless you are in Melbourne to control the account. Personally, I suspect that it is safer if you simply give the money to Rich because he can control what happens with his own bank account. HIFX or one of the others can surely credit Rich's account?

I would suggest that you should ask Sandch and Les Avalook about this. They are far more clued up about the financial side of the whole thing than I am. Also, I think Rich should ask a Tax Accountant in Oz, or maybe the ATO, to confirm that if he receives money from you but uses the money to benefit you, then the receipt is not subject to any sort of Aussie tax in his hands. If Rich gets that reassurance, he will stop worrying, I suspect.

When I asked how they would get it to me here from London.....royal mail of course and my risk.

There is no mileage in this. You might as well pay the money into your local High Street bank and tell them to issue a draft for you to collect from your local branch. They will still sting you on the exchange rate when they issue the draft in AUD but the money will be at their own risk until you collect the draft from the branch.

He snottily said most people do that....yeah right.

Rubbish. My sister used Registered Post but a courier would be quicker and safer from Melrbourne, I suspect. Elaine lives in Perth and Registered Post was the most convenient option for her once she had the draft. However she did not trust the ordinary post with the 2nd Instalment. AusPost seem to send everything around on a lame camel and the camel seems to go everywhere via Canberra!

Not keen on credit card as reliant on their exchange rate.

I agree. Also, some of the credit card companies treat a money transaction as being the purchase of goods and use that excuse to load up their own charges, apparently.

The eastest way to sort this out is to convince Rich that there is nothing for him to worry about, I suspect.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Everyone

This is my first post but I have been following the Parents thread with great interest and have read all the posts. My daughter (my only child) her partner and 2 year old went to Brisbane 2 years past in June. She went on a student hairdresser visa, and as I think we all know, that skill was withdrawn earlier this year. That now leaves her on a bridging visa as she has had to lodge application for graduate visa. We are told the graduate visa may take 1 year, then presumably she will have to apply for PR. If she can get another job and sponsorship that would probably be the easiest way – she is actively seeking employment. My question is do I have to wait until they have PR before I can apply to go to Australia permanently – CPV143 I think, or is there any other way.

I read on one post about the term 'settled' so they have been 'settled' in Brisbane for 2 years but does that count for anything? Daughter is a fighter and is 'doing battle' at her end as they have been milked of every dollar, and as someone has said they are now 'legally imprisoned' as are so many families in the immigration process.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Kind regards

Cath

Hi Cath

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

My question is do I have to wait until they have PR before I can apply to go to Australia permanently – CPV143 I think, or is there any other way.

Your daughter would have to wait until she has PR before she could sponsor you for a CPV and the application would be refused untless both of you wait. However, as soon as she has PR, your daugher would be able to Sponsor you immediately because the time she has spent in Oz before that would count towards her becoming *settled* in Oz.

Unfortunately, Parents are an incidental victim of the current Minister for Immi'snaked hostility towards foreign Students in Oz. His life. His economic funeral since he is the architect of wrecking the International Education industry in Oz - which was worth $17bn a year to Australia before Evans wrecked it. He will discover - the hard way - what a serious error it has been.

So - what can you do whilst Wrecker Evans is on the loose?

If you are very wealthy, an Investor Retirement subclass 405 visa would spring to mind:

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

Although this visa only gives Temporary Residency, most of the people who can afford this visa and obtain one are wealthy enough that TR suits them because they do not move all of their assets and income to Oz. In that situation, having TR rather than PR creates attractive tax advantages for them.

For the not-quite-so-wealthy (most British parents) spending up to 12 months in Oz on a subclass 676 Tourist Visa is an option - my own mother used these:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

Beyond that, how old are you (and your OH if thete is one) and what is/are your occupation(s), please? If you are a 55 year old Nurse, it would certainly be possible to get you into Oz on a subclass 457 visa quite quickly, for example, but this idea does depend on your age and your occupation. Coulcl you tell us more about this bit, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Can someone please explain why some people have had medicals before they get a case worker

Thanks

Hi Maxine

Some people are disabled - as is my own mother, as is yomvard. Somebody who is disabled might have trouble with their visa meds. In that situation, if you frontload the meds you can find out quickly whether or not the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth is likely to cause problems. If he is, thetr is plenty of time to consult specialists etc whilst nothing else is happening with the visa application.

For most applicants, though, getting the meds finalised just before a CO makes contact simply gives the CO and the applicant less work to do in the final stages of processing the application and saves maybe a month of time overall.

Does this answer your question adequately, please?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Sandy

Could you not simply go to your bank here and transfer it to Australia. I have done business overseas in the past, I complete a form at my bank, they charge me (of course around £20) and pay the money into the overseas company account within about 4 days? :biggrin:

Phoebe

To be fair the £20 is not the banks only charge, they also skim another 1% or 2% off the exchange rate. :biggrin::shocked:

Hi

Quick update, I have finally got all the forms, certificates etc together for CPV143, found a great courier online to do 'The Deed' at £19.20 door to door. It's a company I have used in the past and didn't realise they did international deliveries as well !!

Collection is arranged for Friday 20th August, just one question, once they receive the application and first installment, do they acknowledge it or do we have to rely on looking at the bank statements?

Phoebe

The first you will know about it is the courier online tracker, next your bank statement and then when you have just about forgot about it along will come a letter with your acknowledgment date on it. :wubclub:

Can someone please explain why some people have had medicals before they get a case worker

Thanks

As Gollywobbler has said for medical reasons or to speed up the process.

You need to remember that the time you have to validate your visa will start ticking from the date of your police check or medical so if you have a house to sell after you know you been granted a visa (in our case) you may not want to have them done before you are asked by your case officer so that you have the maximum time to tie up things in the UK, just horses for courses.

Hi Phoebe,

I dont think they give you a bank account to pay it into, mores the pity. On immi web site, I think they specify, cc details or bank draft I think . I dont know why they dont as you could just more the money across giving ref. details and all would be sorted.

Sandy

Hi Sandy

Rich is merely "worried" hon! My sister was "worried stupid" and climbing the walls etc about this! I don't know how you define "income" for income tax purposes. I'd have thought that if somebody in Oz suddenly receives a large capital sum, the ATO would be more likely to look at whether they can treat it as a gift and tax it as a Capital Gain?

Anyhow, I trawled the ATO website and found a provision that says:

If somebody in Oz receives a chunk of money from a third party but he uses the money for the benefit of the third party, then the ATO ignore the transaction for tax purposes. Which makes sense because the Aussie Government clearly realises what will happen where visas are involved. I relayed this information to my sister Elaine. Frankly I don't think she listened to a word that I said about it! She was too busy worrying instead. We told her that Mum would pay any taxes on her behalf and put the money into her account. She was not taxed on the money.

Have you tried chasing the Health Operations Centre to find out whether Colin's meds have cleared without any hassle? I suspect that they have cleared and that there is no hassle. You can use the on-line form to e-mail them and they reply within 3 working days (as DIAC require from all of their staff.)

About Health Operations Centre (HOC)

The CO will not bother to reassure you about Colin's meds because Form 47PA does not suggest that there might be anything wrong with him, whereas your own disability was flagged up on Form 47PA and DIAC know why your own meds were frontloaded. With someone like Colin, the COs assume that you will realise that there is no problem unless the CO tells you that there is a problem. It is easier to pester the HOC direct than to be a nuisance to your CO, I reckon. The HOC have no say about when the CO shoulld grant your visas......

There is no need to be scared. All it needs is a determination to ring up HIFX every day and make a serious pest of yourself until they confirm that they have sent the money to the PVC, when they sent it, how they sent it etc. The mistake that the other CPV applicant made was that he instructed HIFX to pay the PVC and he did not chase HIFX at all until 3 weeks later, when he chased their CO who said that the 2nd Instalment had not been received. The man chased HIFX at that stage, to discover that they had received his instructions but had not acted on them because they had npt understood what he wanted, so they had done nothing. Contacting the customer to query the instructions is too complucated, presumably..... The onus is on the customer to chase them every day, I suspect.

Mmmmmm. I am not sure about that. To start with, the CBA is a bank and they do tend to steal from you on the exchange rate - all banks do. Also, the account in Oz will not necessarily be activated until you pitch up at the branch in Melbourne with proof of your i/d and address. I wouldn't risk that money going into an account in Melbourne unless you are in Melbourne to control the account. Personally, I suspect that it is safer if you simply give the money to Rich because he can control what happens with his own bank account. HIFX or one of the others can surely credit Rich's account?

I would suggest that you should ask Sandch and Les Avalook about this. They are far more clued up about the financial side of the whole thing than I am. Also, I think Rich should ask a Tax Accountant in Oz, or maybe the ATO, to confirm that if he receives money from you but uses the money to benefit you, then the receipt is not subject to any sort of Aussie tax in his hands. If Rich gets that reassurance, he will stop worrying, I suspect.

There is no mileage in this. You might as well pay the money into your local High Street bank and tell them to issue a draft for you to collect from your local branch. They will still sting you on the exchange rate when they issue the draft in AUD but the money will be at their own risk until you collect the draft from the branch.

Rubbish. My sister used Registered Post but a courier would be quicker and safer from Melrbourne, I suspect. Elaine lives in Perth and Registered Post was the most convenient option for her once she had the draft. However she did not trust the ordinary post with the 2nd Instalment. AusPost seem to send everything around on a lame camel and the camel seems to go everywhere via Canberra!

I agree. Also, some of the credit card companies treat a money transaction as being the purchase of goods and use that excuse to load up their own charges, apparently.

The eastest way to sort this out is to convince Rich that there is nothing for him to worry about, I suspect.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill,

Yes I will contact the HOC, I just assumed the CO would let me know, she did say she would look out for them. I asked her a question last Thursday, a week ago and no answer so I assume she is away or very busy. She has always come back next day before. I have sent this thread to Rich to read , so perhaps he will agree to pay the 2nd vac if I send him the money. Thanks for all info you have given me again.

Hope you are well

regards

Sandy