Guest guest36187

Hi Phoebe

Im so glad you remember me. We are about ten minutes from my daughters house at Pacific Pines. I know how you're husband feels about the cost, I agonized and had sleepless nights over it and I must admit when I arrived in Australia I kept thinking what have I done? I'm homeless, no job! have I made the biggest mistake of my life?....? but believe me I'm so glad I made the decision, and I think if we can do it, given our ages and financial situation then anyone can do it.

Hi

So you are pretty close to my daughter at Varsity, we've shopped at Pac Fair (I even know the lingo :biggrin:) many a time.

I have naturally agonised over the cost etc but I'm trying to look at it as buying into a new way of life.

It would be good to keep in touch for when we come over if your up for it.

So glad things are working out for you both :yes:

Phoebe

Guest bettyboowho
Hi

So you are pretty close to my daughter at Varsity, we've shopped at Pac Fair (I even know the lingo :biggrin:) many a time.

I have naturally agonised over the cost etc but I'm trying to look at it as buying into a new way of life.

It would be good to keep in touch for when we come over if your up for it.

So glad things are working out for you both :yes:

Phoebe

We are about fifteen minutes drive from Pacific Fair and often go shopping there. We both worked at Bond University at Varsity Lakes , cleaning the students rooms, hard work but you do what you can to earn some dollars (20 dollars an hour). there are loads of jobs out here and lots of people seem to prefer older workers.

Yes it would be good to keep in touch and hopefully meet up, I know you would like the lifestyle over here, you are right you would be buying yourself a new life.

We are about fifteen minutes drive from Pacific Fair and often go shopping there. We both worked at Bond University at Varsity Lakes , cleaning the students rooms, hard work but you do what you can to earn some dollars (20 dollars an hour). there are loads of jobs out here and lots of people seem to prefer older workers.

Yes it would be good to keep in touch and hopefully meet up, I know you would like the lifestyle over here, you are right you would be buying yourself a new life.

Have sent you a PM

Phoebe

Hi Betty, thanks for the info, we had never heard about house sitting. I will certainly look into it and the other things you mentioned.

Best Wishes.

Ann and Roy.

Hi Ann and Roy

im sorry you havnt been able to sell your home, we were really lucky in selling ours straight away and I know you want to be with your daughter and family, have you thought of house sitting, quite a few people do this, I've also seen quite a few jobs advertised where you do maintenance in exchange for accommodation. They are usually advertised on seek au or gumtree, might be worth a look.

Best Wishes Betty

One or two people have asked for advice so I hope I may be able to help.

My son came over with us in July on a three month holiday visa. After about six weeks he applied for the LRR visa, and when his holiday visa expired his Bridging Visa kicked in, allowing him to stay in the country legally. In December he sent in the form 1005 (available on the Australian Government website) to change the conditions of a bridging visa and allow him to work. He also sent a letter explaining his need to work and support himself. He included a recent bank statement and a spreadsheet showing weekly expenses and copies of receipts of utility bills, food petrol and clothing. They may E-Mail asking for more evidence, but we found them very helpful and quick. Just after Christmas he was granted full working rights. I don't know how long the LRR visa is taking at the moment, we have heard ten years, but if you are like us, it doesn't matter, as long as the family is together and able to work. You need to state there is financial hardship, and your parents are unable to support you for the length of time that the visa is taking.

I hope this advice may be useful, we got lots of help from people on poms in oz, for which I'll always be grateful.

Thank you for the information. That's helpful. Good to know that it's possible.

Hi Betty, thanks for the info, we had never heard about house sitting. I will certainly look into it and the other things you mentioned.

Best Wishes.

Ann and Roy.

My son and his wife did house sitting for a year while saving for a deposit on a house, honest they were booked up for most of that time, most people had animals that needed looking after as they didn't want to put them into kennals. I would certainly have done it but i have 2 dogs of my own i am bringing so it puts the blockers on that one. I would love to live in one of those lifestyle complex but as it was mentioned i think you can only buy them and not rent, such a great way to meet people and all the social life is on your door step. Best wishes Ann

Guest scotfree

Thanks Bettyboowho, daughter filling in form and will file this wk. Not sure on utilities as she has been staying with her sister (Sponsor) she just want's to work, earn a living and get a flat share, so needs to be legal.

Hey guys

Just wonderin, is the contributory parent visa worth it at all? My parents are turning 57 and 54 this year and both are healthy...I have the following qns to anyone who can answer them...

1)I know that there is a 10 yr waiting period for pension-They're FARR from then pension age anyway but when will they be eligible for a healthcare card? This is just in case they fall sick

2)With the assurance of support, how does that 10K work? Will I get it back after a few yrs? or not?

3)My parents are pretty much set on retirement and healthcare is free for them in my home country but being an only child, I wld prefer them here(In Australia) for my own selfish reasons when they are older(so I can look after them here rather than in my home country)

4)What are people's experiences of coming here as a parent? Loneliness? Isolation? Selling the family home to pay for the visa doesnt seem like an option to them.

5)Can you apply for the 143 parent visa onshore? I know that the conditions for applying for that visa is that you cant have a no further stay stamp on your visa. Or do you have to go from the 173 to 143 or something?

6)When they put in an application, will they be eligible for Medicare straightaway?

Sorry about the questions!!!!

Hey guys

Just wonderin, is the contributory parent visa worth it at all? My parents are turning 57 and 54 this year and both are healthy...I have the following qns to anyone who can answer them...

1)I know that there is a 10 yr waiting period for pension-They're FARR from then pension age anyway but when will they be eligible for a healthcare card? This is just in case they fall sick

2)With the assurance of support, how does that 10K work? Will I get it back after a few yrs? or not?

3)My parents are pretty much set on retirement and healthcare is free for them in my home country but being an only child, I wld prefer them here(In Australia) for my own selfish reasons when they are older(so I can look after them here rather than in my home country)

4)What are people's experiences of coming here as a parent? Loneliness? Isolation? Selling the family home to pay for the visa doesnt seem like an option to them.

5)Can you apply for the 143 parent visa onshore? I know that the conditions for applying for that visa is that you cant have a no further stay stamp on your visa. Or do you have to go from the 173 to 143 or something?

6)When they put in an application, will they be eligible for Medicare straightaway?

Sorry about the questions!!!!

I will try and answer some of your question as best I can:

1. You do not say which country your parents are from. They wll be entitled to Medicare once their visa is granted. Meidcare also has a reciprocal agreement with some countries so they are covered for medically necessary treatment as visitors if they are from one of these countries.

The Assurance of Support is actually $14,000 for a couple and you will get this back after 10 years. You will also get interest on it during the 10 years.

The CPV is not cheap and many parents have had to sell the family home to pay for it. Some have found they cannot afford to buy here and have had to rent. It depends on how much they want to be with family. Others may be able to give you a bit more insight.

You can apply for the CPV onshore, if you don't have the 'No Further Stay' condition, but you need to be offshore when it is granted.

When they put in their application they will only be entitled to what their original visa allows them, so if they come on a visitor visa, then they will only be entitled to limited Medicare if they are from one of the countries which has a reciprocal agreement. Will they be coming over on a visitor visa to start with? Bear in mind that the maximum length of a visitor visa is 12 months, and the waiting time for a case officer for the CPV can be up to 18 months.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Linday. I agree with most of them, however, a little bit different from what I understand:

The CPV is not cheap and many parents have had to sell the family home to pay for it. Some have found they cannot afford to buy here and have had to rent. It depends on how much they want to be with family. Others may be able to give you a bit more insight: if you are Asian, it is quite common that your parents will live with your family. In this case, you will have some return from tax office. Check at ATO website. Over the years, it seems that you can have the payment back, partially, sure.

You can apply for the CPV onshore, if you don't have the 'No Further Stay' condition, but you need to be offshore when it is granted: You do not need to be offshore if the application is an onshore one. But in this case your parents are still "young" not aged parents, so they are not eligible to apply for an onshore parent visa.

I am not sure about this, hope that someone may help: when will they be eligible for a healthcare card? This is just in case they fall sick

Thank you.

Hi Ijwalvin, We applied for a 173CPV offshore and it took 14mths, during which we scrimped and saved to have enough money for our visas which should arrive any day now. The 173 visa is for a temporary stay of 2 years which has to be validated in the first 12 months of recieving it by entering Australia. Once in Australia we will apply for a 143 Permanent Visa before the 173 runs out. The DIAC issue a bridging visa until that is granted.

It is a lot of money to find for the first visa, but its best to have it in case the house isn't sold in time for when its granted, but its does mean that you split the cost of both visas, and it gives you a bit more time to sell you house or save up. Your Parents are still young enough to be able to find work, so that would help with the money angle if they go for the 173 2 year visa, and they may be able to rent out their house back home while they are living in OZ.

It would also give them time to find out if they really want to move.

Hope this helps

Ann :-)

I am not sure about this, hope that someone may help: when will they be eligible for a healthcare card? This is just in case they fall sick

Thank you.

You are immediately entitled to full Medicare benefits, but you have to wait 104 weeks (ie, 2yrs) from permanent residency to be eligible for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, which gives you further reduced prescription costs (below the already partly-subsidised PBS – Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme – prices).

Mike

Hi

Would seriously recommending booklet No 3 about parents visa's as that will answer most of your questions but you will probably need to read it about three times before it all becomes something like clear. Then spent time reading through the DIAC website as most of the emigrtion answers are there including comments and booklets about life in Australia. As for other matters feel free to ask on here, you have already seen how much everybody helps and follow as many links on as many web pages you can find on Australia, it will be amazing what you will find. Best advise, if you start to get stressed about it all, walk away and come back a couple of days later, it will all be a lot clearer second or third time round.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your help! Im not stressed about it at all not to worry!

@Linday: Im from Singapore(ie no reciprocal agreement). My understanding was if you came in as a tourist and you could apply for the 173-143 visa and u'd be granted a bridging visa when the tourist visa runs out. During the mean time they would be entitled to a blue medicare card (not like our green one cuz the blue one's an interim card). but I didnt know that you had to leave the country when the visa's granted.

@megancun-Did you mean tax offset? That would mean them becoming my dependents yea? From the looks of it, it doesnt seem like the visa per say is counted as a tax offset but the amount you spend for their living etc is a tax offset. Care to enlighten on this? Although selling the tiny apartment in Singapore would equal to a mansion in Australia!

@mikensue: Sorry dont think they'd be eligible for a commonwealth seniors card that soon.they're still 'young' by my definition(Turning 58 and 54 this yr)! haha

Have people found it hard to adjust to what they were used to? I guess its more about them wanting to rebuild their lives again when they are nearly 60!

Sorry about all those questions!!!!!

Hey guys,

My understanding was if you came in as a tourist and you could apply for the 173-143 visa and u'd be granted a bridging visa when the tourist visa runs out.

G'Day

As pemasaja suggests, do read Booklet 3 thoroughly.

Both 173 and 143 visas are for offshore application only (except in the case of an "upgrade" from 173 to 143. The equivalent onshore visas (which you can apply for during a holiday visit so long as the visitors' visa has no "no further stay" condition attached) is for "Aged" parents only.

Good luck, Mike

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your help! Im not stressed about it at all not to worry!

@Linday: Im from Singapore(ie no reciprocal agreement). My understanding was if you came in as a tourist and you could apply for the 173-143 visa and u'd be granted a bridging visa when the tourist visa runs out. During the mean time they would be entitled to a blue medicare card (not like our green one cuz the blue one's an interim card). but I didnt know that you had to leave the country when the visa's granted.

Please read the booklet as suggested. In your case, the tourist visa and the 173/143 are 2 separate things so there will be no bridging visa from the tourist visa to stay in Oz to wait.

@megancun-Did you mean tax offset? That would mean them becoming my dependents yea? From the looks of it, it doesnt seem like the visa per say is counted as a tax offset but the amount you spend for their living etc is a tax offset. Care to enlighten on this? Although selling the tiny apartment in Singapore would equal to a mansion in Australia!

Yes, they have to live with you as dependents, or it seems that they may not need to but still dependent on you... (just read ATO website), so you still can have tax offset...It's the tax offset, not anything with the visa payment. But still money, if you look at it that way :biggrin:

Hi guys,

I am trying to decide on a visa for my Dad, either 173 or 143. He is currently working and would like to continue to do so once he goes over there. I heard that people on 173 (2-year CPV) have difficulties in convincing potential employers that the TR visa is also a work-permit equivalent. Is this true? He is planning to move to Melbourne, where my sister is currently living.

Also, I am right to say that the 173 doesn't need the 10k AoS and it has to be only furnished when he applies for a 173-to-143?

Hi guys,

I am trying to decide on a visa for my Dad, either 173 or 143. He is currently working and would like to continue to do so once he goes over there. I heard that people on 173 (2-year CPV) have difficulties in convincing potential employers that the TR visa is also a work-permit equivalent. Is this true? He is planning to move to Melbourne, where my sister is currently living.

Also, I am right to say that the 173 doesn't need the 10k AoS and it has to be only furnished when he applies for a 173-to-143?

I am not sure what others experience is, but we are on a 173 and my husband has just got a job. When you get the visa granted you get an email with the grant letter which states you have the right to work in Australia. My husband just showed this to his prospective employer. There was some issue over the amount of tax he had to pay, but it turned out not to be much more than otherwise.

With regard to the AOS, you are correct that you do not need to pay this until you apply for the 143.

We have just had a reply emailed to us,asking for sponsor to contact Centrelink.Tried phoning but on hold for >20mins,will try again next week

Also that our Police checks have expired so it looks like only valid for 3 months for Police checks,also requesting medicals which we had done last May--hope that has not expired ! But we sent medicals into Perth by post so hope that they have not lost them,perhaps have not tied them onto our application? have emailed but no reply,Australia is a public holiday anyway.

So the message is do not do Police checks early.

We have just had a reply emailed to us,asking for sponsor to contact Centrelink.Tried phoning but on hold for >20mins,will try again next week

Also that our Police checks have expired so it looks like only valid for 3 months for Police checks,also requesting medicals which we had done last May--hope that has not expired ! But we sent medicals into Perth by post so hope that they have not lost them,perhaps have not tied them onto our application? have emailed but no reply,Australia is a public holiday anyway.

So the message is do not do Police checks early.

This is really worrying, as we have done both Medicals and Police Checks well before getting our CO.

Please keep me posted on developments.

Thanks.

John & Eirian

Police checks and medicals are normally valid for a year, so Scroogemacduck I would check again with your CO if they are only 3 months old. Our medicals were sent to Sydney by the clinic which did them for us. You normally get a year to validate your visa - that's a year from the date of police checks or medicals whichever is earlier.