Guest guest36187

Its tough starting again when you are over 60 - we have come out as a couple (married for over 40 years) and plan to remain 'retired'. For social company we firstly joined a local church (have made good friendships with about 5 couples of similar age and younger) who really helped us to settle in to a new culture.

We've also joined the Bowling Club - Night Owls - Monday Night Informal Club Night ( meals and a game followed by drinks and raffle and less than $20 for the 2 of us)

Seniors Aquaerobics at the local swim centre,

PROBUS group (Separate Ladies group for me and Men's group for Clive) - we've got day trips planned and a joint short Autumn holiday in Goolwa

Beria group - meals and walks planned

PIA - meet-up at Noarlunga (haven't managed to get there yet but hope to make one of the meets)

Australia Day celebrations Our council has arranged/organised a free picnic and sausage sizzle for the community (family away on holiday this year at that time)

We've got to know many of our neighbours in the small cul-de-sac and plan to arrange some picnics/BBQs together at the local reserve just 100m away.

Clive has tickets for various cricket matches at the oval and i hope to book some craft classes (card making and scrapbooking) soon.

Haven't seen much of the family for at least 2 months - just Christmas lunch, a meal out and 3 lots of baby sitting!

Also check out the front of your telephone directory (yellow pages 9-13) for upcoming events

What a great post and so glad you are both settling in to your new life out there, good to see you are making a social life outside the family as i think this is important , also good to see theres so much to join if you look. Although i will be working when i come over i hope to join some social clubs to get to know people, i have always fancied bowls for some reason so hope to give that a go and they do have the weather for it don't they. I loved power walking when i was over on visits so intend taking this up and joining a walking group, also one that walks with dogs also so the 2 pooches can socialize too. Great to hear your having a great time. Ann

Hi Ariomart I don't think we should bother about our ages Roy and. I are will be 68 & 67 this year when we get over to Australia, and I know a friend of mine who went when she was 70 that was 4 yrs ago. She did voluntry work a couple of hours now and then in Brisbane Aquarium, she met lots of friends and went on lots of trips, and got married this year to an Australian man, so age doesn't count at all :-). Our daughter and family have just come back from a holiday in Melbourne and they said it was a great place. They did a house swap (they are in Avoca Beach) and it was very sucessful, a cheap way to get around the country.

Regards

Ann

Does anyone have information on shipping removal companies in Ireland? Not Pickford as I have not had very good reports about them.

Hi

My daughter used Crown in the UK she said they were fantastic from start to finish. Not sure if they have an outlet in Ireland but if you Google it I'm sure you could easily find out. Good Luck.

:biggrin:

Phoebe

Thanks to everyone for your supportive emails. I tell myself these things but it is always reassuring to hear from others.

I went to a talk by and author and met someone else intersted in books and crafts, and I have to say that there are a lot of groups to join and I will do voluntary work

Best wishes to you all

Moira

G'day

Parent Visa Centre in Perth say that they are currently taking about four weeks to acknowledge applications for 143/173 visas –

Mike

How on earth do you get this info, Mike? do you have a special hotline or something?

Surely, you don't get through on the normal phone number? If so, what is it???

Thanks.

John & Eirian

How on earth do you get this info, Mike? do you have a special hotline or something?

Surely, you don't get through on the normal phone number? If so, what is it???

Thanks.

John & Eirian

G'Day John & Eirian

Actually, I emailed a query about our application (to parents@immi.gov.au), and immediately got a standard reply basically referring to their website. But then, several days later, I got a slightly more substantive reply including the four weeks info. I have to say, however, that we still haven't heard anything, more than five weeks after sending it off (by Express Post from within Oz) – but this does include the Christmas and New Year period when everything, not least the Civil/Public Service, goes into hibernation (or should that be aestivation – ie, summer somnolence!).

However, the Parent Visa Centre does indeed have a phone number – though you have to wait through a long automated message before you get anywhere near a human being! It's +61 1300 652 421 (outside Australia) or 1300 652 421 (inside Australia).

Good luck!

Mike

Just checking in :wink: we are possibly looking into going for the 173. Has anyone who did this regretted it?

Phoebe

G'Day Phoebe

Well, we now think that in our case it would have probably been better (and a bit cheaper in the long run!) to have gone straight for the 143. But it's a bit marginal.

Good luck, Mike

Hi Phoebe, I've applied for the 173, but I just could not afford the 143, but I'm trying to convince myself that it was the right thing to do because it will give me time to decide whether I want to stay for good or not.

My Ack date is 20/09/2011 so I have a bit of a wait for a CO. Fran from Tipperary, Ireland, going it alone at 50 +++ so have a few sleepless nights !

G'Day John & Eirian

Actually, I emailed a query about our application (to parents@immi.gov.au), and immediately got a standard reply basically referring to their website. But then, several days later, I got a slightly more substantive reply including the four weeks info. I have to say, however, that we still haven't heard anything, more than five weeks after sending it off (by Express Post from within Oz) – but this does include the Christmas and New Year period when everything, not least the Civil/Public Service, goes into hibernation (or should that be aestivation – ie, summer somnolence!).

However, the Parent Visa Centre does indeed have a phone number – though you have to wait through a long automated message before you get anywhere near a human being! It's +61 1300 652 421 (outside Australia) or 1300 652 421 (inside Australia).

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

I just got through to the PVC number from France (5 am!) and managed to find out that they have received both our medical reports and Police checks, which were sent to different addresses - one to Sydney and the other to Perth.

When I asked about time to get a CO, they still insisted it was between 18 and 24 months, despite the evidence to the contrary on the tracker.... official line I s'pose!

Thanks again.

John & Eirian

Hi Phoebe, I've applied for the 173, but I just could not afford the 143, but I'm trying to convince myself that it was the right thing to do because it will give me time to decide whether I want to stay for good or not.

My Ack date is 20/09/2011 so I have a bit of a wait for a CO. Fran from Tipperary, Ireland, going it alone at 50 +++ so have a few sleepless nights !

I'm pretty much in the same boat finance/deciding if it's the right thing for us. :err: I'm lucky (depending how you look at it) I do have hubby :laugh:

Good Luck with it all we have great support here :yes:

Phoebe

Guest bettyboowho

Hi I've not posted for a while, we arrived here in July, and I feel we hit the ground running and never stopped since. I have had problems trying to post on poms in oz, since we arrived in Australia and changed to Telstra. I have had to change my user name and used to use Cakey, some people on the site may remember me? so I thought I would just like to bring you up to date with what has been happening. When we arrived in Australia (Gold Coast). we stayed with my daughter and family for a while until we found a rental. It was so lovely to be here, back with our grandchildren again, believe me it makes it all worthwhile. We got cleaning jobs the first week we arrived. but my husband applied for a gardening job in September and has been working there since then. Our son came out to Australia with us and applied for the last remaining relative visa onshore. He was granted a bridging visa and then he applied for the right to work. He was granted this two days after Christmas, so it doesn't matter how long it takes for his visa to come through, we are all together and he can work. I want to thank the people who gave us advice on this site, my son didn't use an agent he did it all himself with help from people on here. I love the life I have now. I hate renting, and may never be able to buy a house in oz, but you have to look at everything. The money left from my house sale gives me a good interest rate which helps pay the rent. I pay no council tax or water rates. I live in a very nice 3 bedroomed 2 bathroom house on a lovely complex with a beautiful swimming pool, gym tennis courts and bbqs. The gardening is included in the rent and so are any repairs, it is all electric so no gas bills, and I find the electricity quite reasonable, less than I paid in England. I miss nothing about England, I hope this may help anyone wondering if they are doing the right thing. I am 67 and my husband is 68. we only had a modest three bedroomed semi in Sheffield so didn't have a fortune left after paying for the visa. I never think about the money, it was money well spent, it bought us anew life and we are loving it!

Guest scotfree

Hi Bettyboowho, great to hear you are all enjoying your new life here in Oz. We're in a similar position to you, moved over last April on the 143 and now our youngest daughter is here and also applied for LRR and has her bridging visa. Can I ask you how your son went about his application to work, was this just a call to immigration, was there a form, and is there a limit to how many hours? Sounds like you have settled in nicely and your rental sounds great, we're still travelling but eventually will settle down in the area where our eldest and grand children live, their still in Sydney, but plan to move up the coast, maybe queensland, so holding off our move just now plus Sydney is soooo expensive.

Our son came out to Australia with us and applied for the last remaining relative visa onshore. He was granted a bridging visa and then he applied for the right to work. He was granted this two days after Christmas, so it doesn't matter how long it takes for his visa to come through, we are all together and he can work.

Great to hear that you're so well adjusted and settled, Betty.

How long did it take your son to get his visa? Information I read elsewhere suggests it is taking up to two years now. Can this be correct?

John & Eirian

G'Day John & Eirian

Good luck!

Mike

Others might be interested to know our timeline. We arrived here in June on a 173 and immediately applied for the 143. We got a case officer second week in October and he requested our AOS. My brother in Queensland was our Assurer and this was eventually finalised after a long wait the second week of December. This had more to do with Centrelink in Queensland dragging their feet than the PVC. Since then nothing! I am awaiting the request for the final VAC payment. I have contacted my case officer a couple of times to see what the holdup is, but have had no information other than a form to fill in re our change of address when I emailed to say we had moved last week. Beginning to think they don't want our money! At least it is still earning some interest in our bank account.

Hi I've not posted for a while, we arrived here in July, and I feel we hit the ground running and never stopped since. I have had problems trying to post on poms in oz, since we arrived in Australia and changed to Telstra. I have had to change my user name and used to use Cakey, some people on the site may remember me? so I thought I would just like to bring you up to date with what has been happening. When we arrived in Australia (Gold Coast). we stayed with my daughter and family for a while until we found a rental. It was so lovely to be here, back with our grandchildren again, believe me it makes it all worthwhile. We got cleaning jobs the first week we arrived. but my husband applied for a gardening job in September and has been working there since then. Our son came out to Australia with us and applied for the last remaining relative visa onshore. He was granted a bridging visa and then he applied for the right to work. He was granted this two days after Christmas, so it doesn't matter how long it takes for his visa to come through, we are all together and he can work. I want to thank the people who gave us advice on this site, my son didn't use an agent he did it all himself with help from people on here. I love the life I have now. I hate renting, and may never be able to buy a house in oz, but you have to look at everything. The money left from my house sale gives me a good interest rate which helps pay the rent. I pay no council tax or water rates. I live in a very nice 3 bedroomed 2 bathroom house on a lovely complex with a beautiful swimming pool, gym tennis courts and bbqs. The gardening is included in the rent and so are any repairs, it is all electric so no gas bills, and I find the electricity quite reasonable, less than I paid in England. I miss nothing about England, I hope this may help anyone wondering if they are doing the right thing. I am 67 and my husband is 68. we only had a modest three bedroomed semi in Sheffield so didn't have a fortune left after paying for the visa. I never think about the money, it was money well spent, it bought us anew life and we are loving it!

Hi bettyboowho

I would certainly be interested in any information you have about the LRR visa for your son. We would like to get our son over as well, but have been put off by the long waiting time (6 years some are saying) and were put off applying onshore as we were under the impression he would not be able to work. How do you get round this?

Guest bettyboowho
Hi bettyboowho

I would certainly be interested in any information you have about the LRR visa for your son. We would like to get our son over as well, but have been put off by the long waiting time (6 years some are saying) and were put off applying onshore as we were under the impression he would not be able to work. How do you get round this?

One or two people have asked for advice so I hope I may be able to help.

My son came over with us in July on a three month holiday visa. After about six weeks he applied for the LRR visa, and when his holiday visa expired his Bridging Visa kicked in, allowing him to stay in the country legally. In December he sent in the form 1005 (available on the Australian Government website) to change the conditions of a bridging visa and allow him to work. He also sent a letter explaining his need to work and support himself. He included a recent bank statement and a spreadsheet showing weekly expenses and copies of receipts of utility bills, food petrol and clothing. They may E-Mail asking for more evidence, but we found them very helpful and quick. Just after Christmas he was granted full working rights. I don't know how long the LRR visa is taking at the moment, we have heard ten years, but if you are like us, it doesn't matter, as long as the family is together and able to work. You need to state there is financial hardship, and your parents are unable to support you for the length of time that the visa is taking.

I hope this advice may be useful, we got lots of help from people on poms in oz, for which I'll always be grateful.

Hi

Yes I do remember you as Cakey :biggrin: so glad you are settling in so well :yes:

Which part of the Gold Coast did you settle on? My daughter is in Varsity Lakes, not sure when we will be going out there again, possibly towards the end of this year October/November time, it would be really good to meet up if we could.

Hubby is still a bit 'iffy' on the cost, work front etc so it could well sway him in the right direction to talk to people who have actually done it and are settling :wink:

I'm so happy to hear how possitive you sound :cute:

Phoebe

We got a case officer second week in October and he requested our AOS. .

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Den_Pat on the tracker got their AOS done in December despite, apparently, not having a Case Officer yet. Can the AOS be done in advance in the same way as Medicals and Police Checks?

John & Eirian

Hi Bettyboohwoo, Thanks for a brilliant post on here, so glad you are loving living the dream. We are just waiting for our visa having got a CO in Jan and had the meds and police checks done and sent off. We haven't sold our house yet as the property market in Ireland is petty bad at the moment. Our only child (daughter) lives with her husband and 2 girls in Avoca Beach NSW and she is expecting another baby in August :-) we are thrilled of course and really want to be over there ASOP. We have looked at rentals in case we can't get the price we need for our house to enable us to buy, but rentals in Avoca and surounding areas are still pretty expensive. We are the same age as you and your Husband 67 me and 68 Hubby, we have looked at the houses in retirement estates but they do not let you rent which would be ideal for us, and we can't afford to buy them as they are expensive too and you have to pay a yearly fee on top. But we are convinced that it will all work out for us, and seeing your post really gave us a lift, so thanks once again.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Ann and Roy. :-)

Guest bettyboowho
Hi

Yes I do remember you as Cakey :biggrin: so glad you are settling in so well :yes:

Which part of the Gold Coast did you settle on? My daughter is in Varsity Lakes, not sure when we will be going out there again, possibly towards the end of this year October/November time, it would be really good to meet up if we could.

Hubby is still a bit 'iffy' on the cost, work front etc so it could well sway him in the right direction to talk to people who have actually done it and are settling :wink:

I'm so happy to hear how possitive you sound :cute:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

Im so glad you remember me. We are about ten minutes from my daughters house at Pacific Pines. I know how you're husband feels about the cost, I agonized and had sleepless nights over it and I must admit when I arrived in Australia I kept thinking what have I done? I'm homeless, no job! have I made the biggest mistake of my life?....? but believe me I'm so glad I made the decision, and I think if we can do it, given our ages and financial situation then anyone can do it.

Guest bettyboowho
Hi Bettyboohwoo, Thanks for a brilliant post on here, so glad you are loving living the dream. We are just waiting for our visa having got a CO in Jan and had the meds and police checks done and sent off. We haven't sold our house yet as the property market in Ireland is petty bad at the moment. Our only child (daughter) lives with her husband and 2 girls in Avoca Beach NSW and she is expecting another baby in August :-) we are thrilled of course and really want to be over there ASOP. We have looked at rentals in case we can't get the price we need for our house to enable us to buy, but rentals in Avoca and surounding areas are still pretty expensive. We are the same age as you and your Husband 67 me and 68 Hubby, we have looked at the houses in retirement estates but they do not let you rent which would be ideal for us, and we can't afford to buy them as they are expensive too and you have to pay a yearly fee on top. But we are convinced that it will all work out for us, and seeing your post really gave us a lift, so thanks once again.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Ann and Roy. :-)

Hi Ann and Roy

im sorry you havnt been able to sell your home, we were really lucky in selling ours straight away and I know you want to be with your daughter and family, have you thought of house sitting, quite a few people do this, I've also seen quite a few jobs advertised where you do maintenance in exchange for accommodation. They are usually advertised on seek au or gumtree, might be worth a look.

Best Wishes Betty