Guest guest36187

i can understand your worries as i had them too. strangely i have found lifevto be less expensive than i was fearing even though my rent is a lot. i could have got somewhere cheaper if i had been less fussy about location...!

As fas everything else is concerned, i found the initial outly regarding cars licence, rego etc to be expensivebut once this initial expense was over i have not thought things much different than the uk.

you need to shop carefully for food but if you do its a similar price. kmart and big w and of course aldi are all cheaper than 4 years ago thanks to china. even eating out can be fine if you use recommendations.i do however still buy quite a lot online from the uk and get people to bring it out or post it to me....

i am lucky in that i have now got a job over here but even without that i think i wd have managed.hope this reassures you! Fiz

Thank you for your posts Linday and Fiz, i do intend working when i get over there as i am 54yrs and still have a few working years left which is just aswell as i have to build up an Australian Super as my work pension from the uk is buttons although will have my state pension, i think when i first get there i will look for a cheap rental for a short lease until i get on my feet and know whats what with the cost of living, i work in age care and although the salary is not that great it is better than the uk, i intend doing a course in Assistant in nursing which is like our Healthcare assistants here, the courses are costly about $1000 but if it gets me a better salary then it will be worth it. Like you say it's the initial outlay for things which is costly and eats up the savings, i am not taking furniture so will have to start from scratch but will look for second hand stuff, i keep telling myself to stop reading threads from the other posts on high cost of living but it just draws you in, i will just have to keep telling myself to remain possitive......to be honest my future prospects here in the uk are not rosey, your posts have reassured me heaps, thank you so much. Ann

Hey Ann

I am happy to be able to agree with all the things Fiz mentioned. We have been here since October 2009 and find the cost of living to be very similar to that in UK. We find it's a case of "Win some Lose Some" and within a few months of being here we stopped converting all the shopping back to pounds and became used to thinking in dollars. As for the exchange rate we have long since given up expecting any improvement in the foreseeable future. We also still have some funds in the UK but will eventually have to "Bite the Bullet" and transfer them here.

We did not bring any furniture either and found Ikea was able to supply everything we needed at a pretty reasonable cost and it was fun chosing things of a different style to our stuff in UK. I guess we have been lucky with our vehicle purchases. Ian has a 4 wheel drive (he needs it for work) and I have a Mitsubishi saloon both of which are about 10 years old but have (so far!) been trouble-free. The cost of petrol is a bit erratic , week to week, but never more than $1.40 per litre which is well less than UK prices.

So do carry on being positive Ann; it will be so worthwhile

Guest irishchicko

Hi all,

i'm new to this thread so a bit clueless when it comes to parents visa. I'm currently on a 457 visa and my husband is a de fact on this visa.

I want to be able to bring my mum over. She is 56 and has 6 kids. I'm the only one living in Oz son what options are open to us. She has lung problems so would this work against her?

Hey Mike and Sue

Fiz and I met for a coffee today and the date and time suits us both. However we thought Dee Why RSL might be a better meeting place; Ian and I are both members so you could be signed in as our guests. But we really don't mind as it will just be good to meet up.

Marian

G'day and Happy New Year to you, all other Sydneysiders and all PiO members!

We seem to have dropped out of the email alert system (like some others), so are just catching up on postings.

Is Wednesday lunchtime still on? It's fine by us, as is Dee Why RSL as the venue. As you are a member, Marian, can you suggest a precise venue within the club? (It looks pretty big from the outside!) Perhaps outdoors (pref shaded) if there there is somewhere – the forecast (for what it's worth) is pretty good.

About 12 – 12.30pm?

For ID purposes, I have a (short) beard!

Looking forward to meeting you, Mike and Sue

Hey Mike

Yes looking forward to the meet-up on Wednesday. Shall we all meet in the Foyer then move on from there? For ID purposes; Ian also has a beard but I am blondish and clean-shaven!

Marian

Hey Mike

Yes looking forward to the meet-up on Wednesday. Shall we all meet in the Foyer then move on from there? For ID purposes; Ian also has a beard but I am blondish and clean-shaven!

Marian

Excellent and we look forward to meeting up with you both (around 12.00/12.15pm say) and we hope others will make it. If anybody is up for this lunchtime get together at Dee Why RSL, perhaps ID yourselves on this forum and we will all know to look out for each other.

Mike and Sue

Great minds think alike and all that......I was just thinking about tomorrow. Marian might be the best to suggest a meeting place ....My mobile is 0403 270 685 so anyone cd call that if you can't find us. I'll get there at around 12

I have short dark hair and will be wearing a purplish top with white shorts!

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow..and hopefully others if they can make it

Rgds

Fiz

Great minds think alike and all that......I was just thinking about tomorrow. Marian might be the best to suggest a meeting place ....My mobile is 0403 270 685 so anyone cd call that if you can't find us. I'll get there at around 12

I have short dark hair and will be wearing a purplish top with white shorts!

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow..and hopefully others if they can make it

Rgds

Fiz

Ahem, maybe the days are passing quickly, but the meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, not tomorrow!

Hope that's OK. Mike

Guest regsue

just finshing a 3wk holiday with daughter, son in law and grandchildren who came over emigrated in march 2011..............need to get my husband 62yrs old, me 57yrs old a visa - thinking of contributory visa - so is it best to apply here or in uk..........?

Hello all Sydneysiders and Happy New Year!

I will definitely be there, probably with the other half, John.

I have short grey hair, John is blondish, both are bigger than we should be, but are both clean shaven!

Can't even think about what I will be wearing, today is enough for me at the moment!!!

Looking forward to meeting the faces to the names.

Cheers Pam

Hi all,

i'm new to this thread so a bit clueless when it comes to parents visa. I'm currently on a 457 visa and my husband is a de fact on this visa.

I want to be able to bring my mum over. She is 56 and has 6 kids. I'm the only one living in Oz son what options are open to us. She has lung problems so would this work against her?

Your mum could come over on a 12 month visitor visa 676. In order for her to apply for the Contributory Parent visa you would need to be a permanent resident and she would have to pass the Balance of Family test, which unfortunately she doesn't seem to. She would have to have at least half her children in Australia.

just finshing a 3wk holiday with daughter, son in law and grandchildren who came over emigrated in march 2011..............need to get my husband 62yrs old, me 57yrs old a visa - thinking of contributory visa - so is it best to apply here or in uk..........?

Hi Sue

You can put in an application for the Contributory Parent Visa either in Australia or in the UK, it doesn't really make any difference as applications are processed in order of the date of application, but you do need to be offshore when it is granted. Do you have any other children? You will first of all need to pass the Balance of Family test, which means you need to have at least half your children in Australia. Also your daughter will need to be 'settled' in order to sponsor you, which usually means a period of 2 years.

You can find most of the information here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-outside.htm

G'day and Happy New Year to you, all other Sydneysiders and all PiO members!

We seem to have dropped out of the email alert system (like some others), so are just catching up on postings.

Is Wednesday lunchtime still on? It's fine by us, as is Dee Why RSL as the venue. As you are a member, Marian, can you suggest a precise venue within the club? (It looks pretty big from the outside!) Perhaps outdoors (pref shaded) if there there is somewhere – the forecast (for what it's worth) is pretty good.

About 12 – 12.30pm?

For ID purposes, I have a (short) beard!

Looking forward to meeting you, Mike and Sue

All this sounds so warm and comforting, especially as we are within 2-3 months of our CO date. Having completed medicals and police checks already, we're champing at the bit and can't wait to join the club of Sydneysiders soon!

Best wishes for a Happy & Successful 2012

John & Eirian

Hello all Sydneysiders and Happy New Year!

I will definitely be there, probably with the other half, John.

I have short grey hair, John is blondish, both are bigger than we should be, but are both clean shaven!

Can't even think about what I will be wearing, today is enough for me at the moment!!!

Looking forward to meeting the faces to the names.

Cheers Pam

Really good to hear you are able to make it-see you on Wed

Fiz

Hello Guys

I am quite an old member of PIO (Fantastic Place for Migration querries).Firstly i was worried about my PR (As rues got changed since i lodged in 2008), and finally I got it in March 2011.

Now i am in a process of applying Contributory Parent visa (I am confused about 143 or 173).

Now my main question is is Assurance of Support required in both the cases (143 and 173?).If answer is yes then so far as I have understood it only diff is 173 is a 2 stage process and 143 is one stage?

Can someone clarify my confusion about AOS in both the visas?

Regards

Sammi4u

Hello Guys

I am quite an old member of PIO (Fantastic Place for Migration querries).Firstly i was worried about my PR (As rues got changed since i lodged in 2008), and finally I got it in March 2011.

Now i am in a process of applying Contributory Parent visa (I am confused about 143 or 173).

Now my main question is is Assurance of Support required in both the cases (143 and 173?).If answer is yes then so far as I have understood it only diff is 173 is a 2 stage process and 143 is one stage?

Can someone clarify my confusion about AOS in both the visas?

Regards

Sammi4u

G'day

AoS is only needed for the 143 – which is a permanent visa. The 173 is a temporary (2-year) visa, during which time it's necessary to apply for the upgrade to the 143 type – so you are right, it is a two-stage process.

The main difference overall is staging of the cost – the final fee for the 173 is only about 60% of the 143. BUT you end up paying more in the end, as the final fee for the 143 upgrade (roughly the remaining 40%) is that applicable at the date of application. And as the fees go up each year, in July, you inevitably pay more in total. But it's an advantage if funds are short until, say, the parents' house is sold.

You have to provide the AoS at the point when the 143 is about to be granted.

You mention that you got PR in 2011. Be aware that you need to be "settled" – which is normally taken to mean two years' PR – before you can sponsor your parents. But I believe there is some flexibility in this, and being in Oz since 2008 may count in your favour. It might we worth phoning the Parent Visa Centre in Perth to ask.

Good luck, Mike

Pam - delighted to hear that you will be joining us and look forward to meeting allcomers.

Best Sue and Mike

it was lovely to meet you all today...I hope we can do it again!

Mike-thank you for the tip off re returning visa..i just found this which, if i understand it correctly, means I'm OK for 4 or so years-do you agree?

Once you have a permanent resident visa you can come and go as you please during its validity. When it expires you will need to replace it with a Resident Return Visa (RRV) for which you will need to be resident in Australia unless exceptional circumstances apply.

Rgds

Fiz

it was lovely to meet you all today...I hope we can do it again!

Fiz

It must have been great meeting up with forum friends who have all been so helpful, supportive, encouraging and friendly. It makes us a bit envious!

We're hoping to come to Sydney during April or May for three weeks or so to validate our visa and "look around" at housing, assuming all CO matters (including getting one) are settled before that. It would be lovely if we could meet with some of you then and learn from all your experiences.

Good luck!

John & Eirian

It must have been great meeting up with forum friends who have all been so helpful, supportive, encouraging and friendly. It makes us a bit envious!

We're hoping to come to Sydney during April or May for three weeks or so to validate our visa and "look around" at housing, assuming all CO matters (including getting one) are settled before that. It would be lovely if we could meet with some of you then and learn from all your experiences.

Good luck!

John & Eirian

and hopefully by then you'll at least have a co, if not a visa!

Now we have made contact I'm sure this will continue...looking forward to you joining us