Guest guest36187

I think that everybody in the DIAC must be already on holiday. We had our 173 visa app accepted Oct 2010 and still haven't got a CO, and we were told it would be 12mths!!!!

Regards Ann & Roy

We had our application acknowledged same date and have been living in OZ for the last three months I think you should be rattling someones tree.

Cheers Mike.

We had our application acknowledged same date and have been living in OZ for the last three months I think you should be rattling someones tree.

Cheers Mike.

Yes, that's it. And I also remember some weeks ago (about 30/8 or 1/9), johnemo posted on this forum that he sent an email to DIAC to complain that someone behind him had had the visa, and he got a c/o right after that email.

I think a feed back on the system http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/forms/services/services-form.htm will work well for you, esp if MikeMavis is happy to give his file number as evidence.

Sorry I was in a rush yesterday, forgot to mention this.

Best wishes

Can any one help? I need regular meds for BP and realise I now have to pay for them again - and the amount varies too. My doctor, who bulk bills (and doesn't charge pensioners for a consultation), suggested I contacted Centrelink to register as a pensioner and get reduced rate for prescriptions. As my only regular income is a UK state pension would this affect the AoS bond?

Can any one help? I need regular meds for BP and realise I now have to pay for them again - and the amount varies too. My doctor, who bulk bills (and doesn't charge pensioners for a consultation), suggested I contacted Centrelink to register as a pensioner and get reduced rate for prescriptions. As my only regular income is a UK state pension would this affect the AoS bond?

Do not realy understand the question why should the aos be affected this is not theoetically your money and you would not be claiming from centerlink by getting a seniors card which would entitle you to reduced scrip costs

Cheers.

Mike

Hey A seniors card does not entitle you to reduced script costs. To get this you need to be in receipt of an Australian pension which can be claimed after 10 years residency. There is a "ceiling" for scripts (about$1200 per year) and if you reach this you can then get the cost of your scripts reduced. I am hardly an expert and suggest you do your own research as I could be wrong. Bear in mind the "ceiling" is for a calendar year so the next period will start on 1 January 2012.

Marian

Think the doc confused me as he was telling me something I hadn't discovered when doing research earlier in the year - I know a Senior's card doesn't get script reductions but I thought claiming on Centrelink would not be an option on this type of visa especially as we've only just arrived. Thank you for the information about the 'ceiling' Marian, I knew it existed but wasn't sure of the actual amount.

Once you have become an Australian Citizen you can apply for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - you can read about in online at http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/conc_cards_cshc.htm

It is then seriously reduced rates.

Until then, if you spend more than a certain amount each year you can claim some back. (I am not sure how much that is, but have a feeling it is around $2000) You have to keep all receipts. You can include non-prescription medicines i.e. if you had, for instance, a verruca and needed ointment that can be counted.

Julie

Once you have become an Australian Citizen you can apply for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - you can read about in online at http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/conc_cards_cshc.htm

It is then seriously reduced rates.

Until then, if you spend more than a certain amount each year you can claim some back. (I am not sure how much that is, but have a feeling it is around $2000) You have to keep all receipts. You can include non-prescription medicines i.e. if you had, for instance, a verruca and needed ointment that can be counted.

Julie

Will a Permanent Resident qualify??

No you actually have to be an Australian Citizen....so we all have to wait at least 4 years before we can apply for the CSHC unfortunately.

I'm not sure that answer is correct, Australian Citizens are not subject to a newly arrived residents waiting period (which is usually 2 year for folks with PR). To qualify, you must be an Australian resident, living in Australia (says nothing about Citizenship). I am sure if you have PR after a wait period of 104 weeks you can apply for the card. A number of other conditions also need to be satisfied, have a look at the CSHC booklet for more info or call Centrelink to confirm.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/ci010_1101/$file/ci010_1101_p.pdf

Hi Mike

I'm sure this will have been on before......do you still have the '5 years' to validate when you apply for the CPV173 :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi phoebe,

Probably been replied to but recently changed computers and having loads of fun with Windows 7 and e mails. You have to validate within 12 months of your meds or police checks, The date will be on your grant letter, and then the visa is valid for two years in which time yoy need to apply for an upgrade to a full 143 visa.

pete

I'm not sure that answer is correct, Australian Citizens are not subject to a newly arrived residents waiting period (which is usually 2 year for folks with PR). To qualify, you must be an Australian resident, living in Australia (says nothing about Citizenship). I am sure if you have PR after a wait period of 104 weeks you can apply for the card. A number of other conditions also need to be satisfied, have a look at the CSHC booklet for more info or call Centrelink to confirm.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/ci010_1101/$file/ci010_1101_p.pdf

To get a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card you must:

• not be receiving a Centrelink Pension or Benefit

• not be receiving a Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Service Pension, DVA Age Pension or Income Support Supplement, and

• have reached Age Pension age, see page 5 of this booklet for ‘Qualifying age’, and

• have an annual adjusted taxable income (including taxable income, total net investment losses, employer provided benefits, non-taxable foreign income, and reportable superannuation contributions) less than the income limits shown on page 6 of this booklet.

• provide Centrelink with your/your partner's tax file number or be granted an exemption from providing your/your partner's tax file number, and

• be an Australian resident (as defined by the Social Security Act 1991) or a holder of a Special

Category Visa who lives permanently in Australia. You must also be in Australia when you lodge your claim.

An Australian resident is a person who lives permanently in Australia and is one of the following:

– an Australian citizen, or

– the holder of a permanent visa, or

– the holder of a Protected Special Category Visa , that is, someone who arrived on a New Zealand passport and who was in Australia on 26 February 2001, or for 12 months in the 2 years before this date, or was assessed as protected before 26 February 2004.

Recent migrants to Australia are subject to a 104 week waiting period served in Australia for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

Hi my name is Joan and I am new to Pomsinoz. I have two children and 3 grandchildren who all live in Melbourne, the most recent to move to Oz is my daughter Sara who is a Nurse in the Alfred Hospital and moved to Melbourne two months ago. My husband John and I have decided to take the plunge and apply for a parent visa in order to be near our family. We have submitted a 173 Visa application in the last week. We have chosen this visa to help us spread the cost of the application over two years, because as anyone who has applied for a contributory parent visa knows that it is very expensive! We have tried to find out how long after the grant of the visa do you have to validate the visa, but unfortunately no one seems to be able to give us answer. Is there anyone who has applied for and been granted a 173 visa and if so how long did you get before you had to enter Australia. If anyone can give us an idea of the time span we would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

John and Joan.

Hi my name is Joan and I am new to Pomsinoz. I have two children and 3 grandchildren who all live in Melbourne, the most recent to move to Oz is my daughter Sara who is a Nurse in the Alfred Hospital and moved to Melbourne two months ago. My husband John and I have decided to take the plunge and apply for a parent visa in order to be near our family. We have submitted a 173 Visa application in the last week. We have chosen this visa to help us spread the cost of the application over two years, because as anyone who has applied for a contributory parent visa knows that it is very expensive! We have tried to find out how long after the grant of the visa do you have to validate the visa, but unfortunately no one seems to be able to give us answer. Is there anyone who has applied for and been granted a 173 visa and if so how long did you get before you had to enter Australia. If anyone can give us an idea of the time span we would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

John and Joan.

hi John and Joan,

From reading in this forum I understand that when the visa granted you will have the day on the visa by that day you have to enter Oz to validate your visa. Normally it will be 12 months from the day of police clearance or medical examination whichever is sooner.

Regards,

Many thanks.

John and Joan.

Hi

You could always read my post which is two above yours in reply to phoebe

pete

Guest passingtime

Have finally found time to get back on the computer and visit poms in oz. Moved over to perth on 143 in August this year, spent 6 weeks living with family whilst looking for our own place. Moved in to our own house 1st October and been busy getting extra furniture that we did not bring wishing we had actually moved more of our stuff with us. Then with christmas our first ever in Australia which all though was different because of the weather was so enjoyable because we had most of our family with us. Now just need to find one or two new friends and will be quite contented. If there are any meet ups in the perth area please inform us as we would love to meet up with one or two of our age range.

Have finally found time to get back on the computer and visit poms in oz. Moved over to perth on 143 in August this year, spent 6 weeks living with family whilst looking for our own place. Moved in to our own house 1st October and been busy getting extra furniture that we did not bring wishing we had actually moved more of our stuff with us. Then with christmas our first ever in Australia which all though was different because of the weather was so enjoyable because we had most of our family with us. Now just need to find one or two new friends and will be quite contented. If there are any meet ups in the perth area please inform us as we would love to meet up with one or two of our age range.

So glad you had a lovely christmas and are settling down to your new life in Perth, i hope to get my visa this year but as the new year is fast approaching i have spent this christmas with serious collywobbles as in ' oh, my gawd am i doing the right thing spending all my savings on this visa' 'will i be able to afford to live?? ' the list seems endless and i seem to find another worry as the days go on, think i shall be reduced to a nervous wreck in a few weeks. I keep reading posts as to how expensive everything is now, especially rentals. Then i have moments of great positivity and try to rationalise everything, is this normal , did anyone else feel the same?? I so want to start the new year being confident and possitive about moving. Ann

Now just need to find one or two new friends and will be quite contented. If there are any meet ups in the perth area please inform us as we would love to meet up with one or two of our age range.

Hi

Great to hear someone has managed to move in this current climate. We are also coming to Perth when our house sells, hopefully in the new year. Which bit of perth have you settled in or have you rented for the moment?. If you log in to Facebook and look for PIPS (Poms in Perth) you will find a group that have all moved recently and have regular met ups. Best of luck.

To all those going, gone or just dreaming about it HAPPY NEW YEAR

:jiggy::cool:

So glad you had a lovely christmas and are settling down to your new life in Perth, i hope to get my visa this year but as the new year is fast approaching i have spent this christmas with serious collywobbles as in ' oh, my gawd am i doing the right thing spending all my savings on this visa' 'will i be able to afford to live?? ' the list seems endless and i seem to find another worry as the days go on, think i shall be reduced to a nervous wreck in a few weeks. I keep reading posts as to how expensive everything is now, especially rentals. Then i have moments of great positivity and try to rationalise everything, is this normal , did anyone else feel the same?? I so want to start the new year being confident and possitive about moving. Ann

Hi Ann. I feel just the same. It's definitely the financial side that bother me most - still living in hope that the £ will rally at some point!! Luckily the money or lack of it doesn't worry my other half so that helps me be more positive. For now we are concentrating on preparing as much as we can before we get our CO like getting the house ready to sell and ridding ourselves of stuff we won't be taking. I'm certain we are doing the right thing but just have to keep reminding myself ha ha!

My husband and I are in the very late stages of acquiring our 176 pr visa. It is my parents intention (as luckily they have the funds available) to join us once they acquire the CPV.

My question is as follows, am I right in thinking that as long as we have been there working for 12mths+ that they can then apply as long as they know someone who would be willing to act as their assurer of support? My dads cousin is a PR and has been for many years so I was wondering whether to ask her if she would be willing. This leads me on to my following question...

What does the Assurer have to do and is there any risk to themselves by doing so?

My parents still wish to work once they get out there (mum is a radiographers assistant and dad is a carpenter) and luckily have funds of $825,000.00+ (this is to inc CPV fees) to support themselves.

I just need to know how to explain the assurer role to my fathers cousin so I can hopefully get them out there with us sooner rather than later.

What would the assurer have to do exactly?

Also my mum is a type 2 diabetic, should this incur any problems?

And how long is the CPV currently taking to process for WA perth?

Any info as always is appreciated Many Thanks Kate

Happy New Year to everyone!

We’re already into 2012 here, and expecting 40 degrees tomorrow in Melbourne. About 18 degrees above my optimum that.

Liverpoolloo, we often ask ourselves if it was the sensible thing to do. Financially it certainly wasn’t, but we have created some memories and family ties that money couldn’t buy. As time goes on, it becomes more beneficial, but only as long as one of us is earning Aussie dollars. If that changed we’d be back in England within 6 months or so I think. Because of family ties in England, we’ll always have a challenge, but we’re slowly working towards dual citizenship, the holy grail.

Very best wishes to all for a good 2012.

:smile:

Steve

My husband and I are in the very late stages of acquiring our 176 pr visa. It is my parents intention (as luckily they have the funds available) to join us once they acquire the CPV.

My question is as follows, am I right in thinking that as long as we have been there working for 12mths+ that they can then apply as long as they know someone who would be willing to act as their assurer of support? My dads cousin is a PR and has been for many years so I was wondering whether to ask her if she would be willing. This leads me on to my following question...

What does the Assurer have to do and is there any risk to themselves by doing so?

My parents still wish to work once they get out there (mum is a radiographers assistant and dad is a carpenter) and luckily have funds of $825,000.00+ (this is to inc CPV fees) to support themselves.

I just need to know how to explain the assurer role to my fathers cousin so I can hopefully get them out there with us sooner rather than later.

What would the assurer have to do exactly?

Also my mum is a type 2 diabetic, should this incur any problems?

And how long is the CPV currently taking to process for WA perth?

Any info as always is appreciated Many Thanks Kate

Hello

For AOS I suggest you read this: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/34aos.htm. There is of course a financial risk, but it's a small one if your parents have adequate resources.

At the time of application you need to be "settled". In itself 12 months might be insufficient. There's a lot of information about this subject on this forum, do a search for "settled" in this thread to see some of the many posts.

The CPV process is a national one, and it seems to be about 14 months from application to being allocated a CO at the moment.

I've no information about type 2 diabetes and I hope others may be able to help. It's a matter of degree for some conditions.

Best wishes

Steve

Hi Ann. I feel just the same. It's definitely the financial side that bother me most - still living in hope that the £ will rally at some point!! Luckily the money or lack of it doesn't worry my other half so that helps me be more positive. For now we are concentrating on preparing as much as we can before we get our CO like getting the house ready to sell and ridding ourselves of stuff we won't be taking. I'm certain we are doing the right thing but just have to keep reminding myself ha ha!

We have been here in Perth for about 7 months now and we certainly find the cost of living a worry especially here where prices seem to be overinflated. It's not till you actually live here that you realise just how much things cost, and it's especially difficult if your income is in £s although we are still hoping to bring one of OH pensions over to an Australian super. We still have our house money in the UK waiting for an improvement in the exchange rate, although I don't think this is likely to happen soon. We have found the houses a bit disappointing. We may have to rethink our expectations in terms of the type of house we can buy. You pay a premium for anything near the river or coast or anything reasonably new with a decent plot of land. We don't necessarily want a huge house, but all the smaller, newer, properties seem to come with a pocket handkerchief size garden, very close to neighbours. We did visit Brisbane and found things a little better there, but only slightly. However, these seem to be the sacrifices to be made in order to be near family and spend every day with my lovely new granddaughter.

i can understand your worries as i had them too. strangely i have found lifevto be less expensive than i was fearing even though my rent is a lot. i could have got somewhere cheaper if i had been less fussy about location...!

As fas everything else is concerned, i found the initial outly regarding cars licence, rego etc to be expensivebut once this initial expense was over i have not thought things much different than the uk.

you need to shop carefully for food but if you do its a similar price. kmart and big w and of course aldi are all cheaper than 4 years ago thanks to china. even eating out can be fine if you use recommendations.i do however still buy quite a lot online from the uk and get people to bring it out or post it to me....

i am lucky in that i have now got a job over here but even without that i think i wd have managed.hope this reassures you! Fiz