Guest guest36187

G'Day Les

We're going through Singapore in a couple of weeks. Did you find it cheaper there than the inbound "duty free" in Oz?

Mike

Yes we did, and the choice is better than Brisbane, the only thing we got at Brisbane was some Oz brand fags for our sons friends.

Also Singapore Airport will let you pay in pounds or their $s either way they give a rate that is almost par. Keep your receipt though as in May they double charged our credit card :shocked:, we did get it refunded.

As they did not search us we wish we had picked up some more booze at Brisbane, $30 for a 70cl bottle of spirit from the local store hurts.

Well it would if we drunk it, we just sup the wine at the moment. Someone has to do it. :twitcy:

Hi Moira

following your "postion" in the queue you are better using steve's tracker. As for the Gov currency converter put http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm into your browser and fill in the boxes from the dropdown lists.

regards

By the way still in blighty trying to sell the house, Anyone want a very nice house in south yorkshire???:eek:

Thanks for that. Have you got a time in mind that you want to move over or will you wait until the house is sold? Are you getting anyone viewing the house?

I have been keeping an eye on the tracker but there doesnt seem to be much movement. I have opened a bank account in Oz - online and will verify it when I go for hols in Dec and I have used Forex (very simple) to put some money in. So - so far so good

Best wishes

Moira

I have opened a bank account in Oz - online and will verify it when I go for hols in Dec and I have used Forex (very simple) to put some money in. So - so far so good

Best wishes

Moira

Hi Moira,

Just to say that we opened an account with NAB before we arrived, albeit only on a long holiday.

They were brilliant when we went to validate the account and opened a savings account to go with the current, and also we had a visa card sent within the week to our temporary address here. It helps when you want to order stuff online! We could not use internet banking until the account was validated, but now we can, it's a doddle moving money between savings and current, instantly where you want/need it!!

Have to agree Forex is very good and very simple, thanks to all those that recommended this way of transferring money.

We have only been here just over two weeks and have had a couple of days with 'sole charge' of our grandson. It was scary at first, but absolutely everyone we have met has been soooo helpful, even down to advice on what to buy for a 16 month old for Christmas!

I could so easily stay here and become a fulltime grandma.............maybe one day?????

Cheers Pam

Hi Les, We would have got the 40kgs if we had gone for the 143 permanent rather than the 173 temporary. They only give the extra allowance for permanent visas! Although why you would have less stuff for any length of stay is a mystery to me! I take the same amount whether I go for a cheeky little week to Spain or a 6 week stay in Oz! I guess rules is rules but I wasnt about to rock up at Manchester airport without confirmation so I`m glad I made sure!

Glad all is going to plan for you in Oz!

Regards, Val

Hi Val, we have also applied for a 173 and assumed we would get the double allowance, so glad I've read your post, and will be prepared! But agree, 2 weeks, months or years makes not much difference to the amount you need to pack, especially if you have "extras" from from family to take with you! Our plan is to apply for the 143 soon after arriving in Oz, so to my mind we are going permanently, but thanks for the warning re baggage allowance. Still a long way down the list though, patience not my speciality. Moira's right, not a lot happening on the tracker! :arghh: (another) Val x

Wow! I am amazed.............Singapore Airlines have just replied to my email in which I told them I regretted booking with them as I now know that Emirates standard allowance is 30kgs.

They have authorised us another 10kgs each as a guesture of goodwill (but only on the outbound sector)

Just goes to show that if you dont ask (nicely) you dont get!

Can pack the daughter some Twiglets now!

Val x

Hi guys,

Haven't posted for a while as we have been using the local library free internet and the time just slips away. At the moment I refuse to pay $50+ a month for the kind of connection that the UK had with dial up 15 years ago. :mad: I have borrowed our son's dongle :shocked: and the connection is not tooooo bad (it ain't good either).

We are in a rental at the moment in a nice peaceful area (no dogs) of Shailer Park, south Brisbane.

All our goods arrived in one piece, we used John Mason, insured by Letton Percival, delivered by Wridgways in Oz. No dramas. :twitcy:

We got a $50 HD box from The Good Guys and our UK tele works fine, we connect our UK external hard drive to the set top box to record any thing we want to watch (very little) but at least you can buzz through the countless adverts. :yes:

Wanda has beaten me to find work but I have done some casual work so a few $s building up over here.

I think it is fair to say don't anyone think they can come over here on a tight budget as there really isn't anything you could call cheap.

Weather wise it is great, I have only worn long trousers (apart from working) once since we left the UK, the sea is warm on the Gold Coast and takes us 40 mins of easy driving to get there.

The price of cars is silly money (expensive) over here so it may work out that bringing a car out 'could' be cost effective.

Haven't had many regrets yet, we do miss our son who remained in the UK but then we also missed our other son when we were there. :wacko:

So far so good, will let you know what Christmas on the beach is like when I next post? :laugh:

Les and Wanda

Well; our experience seem to have been quite different to yours. We have been in Sydney for two years and we live in the Northern Beaches which is a pretty expensive part of Sydney. Our choice as our daughter and her family live here. We have two used cars which have been reliable and no more expensive to run than in UK; petrol of course is much cheaper. Our broadband connection is excellent and includes line rental and phone calls within Australia for $69 per month. We consider that we could be thought to have come here on a tight budget as we have limited financial resources and will never be able to own a property here; but we have a very good lifestyle and love being here. Vive la difference!!

Hi Moira

Glad you got the banking sorted.

When we bought the house it was a bit of a wreck so we did a lot of work and used good materials. The daughter and family lived up the road so we were here for "life". Then, just as we finished the major work, bombshell "mum, dad, we are going to emigrate to Australia" so we have to sit it out till it sells as renting is not an option. We keep getting an odd person round but we know times are difficult, not helped by all the pundits saying "do not buy yet prices are going to drop further".

Wow! I am amazed.............Singapore Airlines have just replied to my email in which I told them I regretted booking with them as I now know that Emirates standard allowance is 30kgs.

They have authorised us another 10kgs each as a guesture of goodwill (but only on the outbound sector)

Val x

Good result!

Val x

As we say 'oop North' shy bairns get nowt....well done :biggrin:

Phoebe

Well; our experience seem to have been quite different to yours. We have been in Sydney for two years and we live in the Northern Beaches which is a pretty expensive part of Sydney. Our choice as our daughter and her family live here. We have two used cars which have been reliable and no more expensive to run than in UK; petrol of course is much cheaper. Our broadband connection is excellent and includes line rental and phone calls within Australia for $69 per month. We consider that we could be thought to have come here on a tight budget as we have limited financial resources and will never be able to own a property here; but we have a very good lifestyle and love being here. Vive la difference!!

You seem to have miss-read my post, I said 2nd hand cars are expencive to buy compared to the UK, I did not say how much they cost to run.

You may have a good phone connection in Sydney but i would still think $69 per month for calls and broadband is expencive compared to the UK.

In the context of some people thinking of moving to Australia on a tight budget I still believe it is expencive compared to the UK.

When I have been here 2 years maybe I will stop comparing things to the UK. :wubclub:

Guest dundazi

We want desperatly to stay permenantly in Oz we qualify for the above visa in all aspects...

But every visa we apply for (visitor visas from U K ) to enable us to apply onshore.

all have "no futhur stay" or "no substansive visa can be applied for " on it.

Therefore we can only apply offshore and travel back and forth for 20 years...!!!

Does anyone know what we can do to be Onshore and be able to apply for an onshore visa aged parent subclass804 as we want to be here not in the U.K.

HELP........

Guest dundazi
We want desperatly to stay permenantly in Oz we qualify for the above visa in all aspects...

But every visa we apply for (visitor visas from U K ) to enable us to apply onshore.

Therefore we can only apply offshore and travel back and forth for 20 years...!!!

Does anyone know what we can do to be Onshore and be able to apply for an onshore visa aged parent subclass804 as we want to be here not in the U.K.

HELP........

please

HELP........

Dear dundazi,

As my understanding, there is no way for you to apply for an aged onshore visa. I am sorry to say that. Once they have given you a "no further stay" , they will give it to you for all the tourist visas you apply from now on.

May I suggest you to apply for a contributory visa (offshore, of course), visa 173 or 143. I am not sure you know about it or not, but for the 173, it costs you less, then when you are in OZ, you can apply for an onshore visa 173 to 143.

Regarding the finance, I think if you apply for the 20 years waiting off shore visa and have to fly back and forth, then the cost will be not much different if you pay at one for the contributory (esp if you have to buy health insurance in Oz- maybe UK people do not have to buy this?). Furthermore, if in future, your health is not good enough to pass the medical check, even the tourist visa they will not grant for you nor the PR. In addition, when you are in OZ as a PR and if you live with your children, they can have some money back from tax, so it will not too bad though.

I am applying a CPV for my mother who is aged as well so my knowledge is not like an immigration agent although i believe it is correct. Wish you all the best.

HELP........

I've heard of bridging visas but not sure what you have to do to get one. I'd talk to Alan Collett as I am sure there are people in Oz on bridging visas waiting for their Aged parent visa to be granted..he'd know better than anyone, I suggest..

Guest dundazi

Thanks fornthe reply I have been suggested we go out to Fiji at the end of our 12 month visitor visa and apply for a 3 months ETA which cannot have a no further stay imposed on it apparently then return on that to Qld then apply for Aged Parent Visa 804 onshore they then give you a bridging visa at the end of the expiry of the ETA... untill such time as you get the go ahead for the 804??? who knows about this train of thought..Maureen

Thank you. This is Alan Collett details. Regards.

http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-9/ssguide-9.4/ssguide-9.4.3/ssguide-9.4.3.90.html

Background re the Pty Limited AoS strategy ...

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda, http://www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534 and Chartered Accountant (England & Wales, and Australia)

Offices in the UK and in Australia

You seem to have miss-read my post, I said 2nd hand cars are expencive to buy compared to the UK, I did not say how much they cost to run.

You may have a good phone connection in Sydney but i would still think $69 per month for calls and broadband is expencive compared to the UK.

In the context of some people thinking of moving to Australia on a tight budget I still believe it is expencive compared to the UK.

When I have been here 2 years maybe I will stop comparing things to the UK. :wubclub:

We could not agree with you more Les this is not a cheap country,when we started this process the exchange rate was 2.4 dollars to the pound we were not looking at a tight bujet then but now we are here at 1.5 things are a little tight ,second hand cars are way over price, insurance is over double what we paid in the UK, car servicing is a ridiculous price etc etc everything to do with car ownership even down to $150 for a driving licence is expensive,it may seem better when we have been here a while but it will still be bloody dear to me.

good luck for the future at least we have the weather in Queensland.

cheers.

Mike.

We could not agree with you more Les this is not a cheap country,when we started this process the exchange rate was 2.4 dollars to the pound we were not looking at a tight bujet then but now we are here at 1.5 things are a little tight ,second hand cars are way over price, insurance is over double what we paid in the UK, car servicing is a ridiculous price etc etc everything to do with car ownership even down to $150 for a driving licence is expensive,it may seem better when we have been here a while but it will still be bloody dear to me.

good luck for the future at least we have the weather in Queensland.

cheers.

Mike.

Yes it is a very expensive place to live and I think it will get worse with carbon tax etc.

:cry:

Good job that we love the country!

:biggrin:

Charlie

Hi, has anyone opened an account with Westpac whilst still in the UK, if so were you able to transfer money over on line using HIFX without validating the account in oz. I know you can transfer money over but can't withdraw without validating the account in OZ , you can't transfer on line with NAB Bank, just wondered if westpac did. Ann

Hi, has anyone opened an account with Westpac whilst still in the UK, if so were you able to transfer money over on line using HIFX without validating the account in oz. I know you can transfer money over but can't withdraw without validating the account in OZ , you can't transfer on line with NAB Bank, just wondered if westpac did. Ann

Hi Ann

If I understand you properly you do not transfer money on line to your Oz bank account. When you do the deal with Ozforex you pay the sterling to their account in London and they pay the funds to your Oz bank account. You need to set your Oz bank account up as the beneficiary of the transfer with ozforex. I do not see why Hifx should be any different but I have heard that you can only deal on the phone which does take some of the spontaneity out of dealing.

Hope this helps

Hi Ann

If I understand you properly you do not transfer money on line to your Oz bank account. When you do the deal with Ozforex you pay the sterling to their account in London and they pay the funds to your Oz bank account. You need to set your Oz bank account up as the beneficiary of the transfer with ozforex. I do not see why Hifx should be any different but I have heard that you can only deal on the phone which does take some of the spontaneity out of dealing.

Hope this helps

Thank you, that explains it , all very confusing when you have never done anything like this before, appreciate the advise. Ann

Thank you, that explains it , all very confusing when you have never done anything like this before, appreciate the advise. Ann

The process is the same as described by liverpooloo for HIFx and you can deal either online or by telephone. We have HiFx accounts in both the UK and in Australia and can deal online on either site during business hours. In our experience we have achieved a slightly better rate of exchange dealing over the phone rather than online. We opened Australia Bank accounts when we were visiting. You don't need a Tax File Number to open an account but do watch out for the rate of withholding tax you might be charged while still resident in the UK - we were being charged 46% until we wrote and pointed out the reciprocal arrangements with the Uk whereby only 10% should have been charged. (You declare the interest to UK tax as foreign income and they charge the other 10% being the basic rate of tax) This was corrected and we received a refund of overcharged tax.

Gill

G'day!

Where is everybody? Does no one have any news or problems to share? Perhaps the economic crisis has knocked everyone unconscious?!

We are off to Oz a week today, and will validate our 173s on entry. Forms already filled in to upgrade to 143s – just signatures of sponsor-daughter to be added, and we'll be on the way to spending another $32k. (You have to either laugh or cry, but having got this far…) Now all we need is for George Osborne to freeze pensions next week…

We hope everyone has a Happy (hot) Chrissie.