Guest guest36187

Well, who would have thought it - you leave the UK to take up life the other side of the world and be with your family, and what does your family do..............................they get to meet the Queen! More celebrity for our beautiful Grandaughter.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/10/27/287441_news.html

:notworthy::notworthy:

What a gorgeous little girl!!!

Hope her health continues to improve............

Cheers Pam:biggrin:

Hi, Can anybody answer my questions. Having read PhoebeW's post I am a bit confused. When you get a CO do you have only a certain time to go for Police Checks and Meds, if so how long. And once you have sent them how long do you have before you have to validate your 173 visa?

Thanks Ann.

Hi, Can anybody answer my questions. Having read PhoebeW's post I am a bit confused. When you get a CO do you have only a certain time to go for Police Checks and Meds, if so how long. And once you have sent them how long do you have before you have to validate your 173 visa?

Thanks Ann.

Hi

You have to have meds and police checks done within 28 days :yes:

Sorry but not sure on the validation but I'm sure someone can help you out :wink:

Phoebe

Thanks Ann.

G'Day Ann

Phoebe is right – 28 days is usually the period quoted in the CO's letter, but by then the CO has a name, and if necessary you can email him/her direct to ask for an extension. An extension of a week or two is usually OK, I think, but not months…and they like to be kept up to date with progress.

Once the 173 is granted, you have 12 months to validate it (by entering Oz) from the date of your police check or your meds – whichever is earlier.

Good luck, Mike

Guest chameleon
G'Day Ann

Phoebe is right – 28 days is usually the period quoted in the CO's letter, but by then the CO has a name, and if necessary you can email him/her direct to ask for an extension. An extension of a week or two is usually OK, I think, but not months…and they like to be kept up to date with progress.

Once the 173 is granted, you have 12 months to validate it (by entering Oz) from the date of your police check or your meds – whichever is earlier.

Good luck, Mike

Hiya

You say that you have 12months to validate the 173 visa do you mean you just have to go on holiday? After validation how long do you get before you have to move there?

Cham

Hiya

You say that you have 12months to validate the 173 visa do you mean you just have to go on holiday? After validation how long do you get before you have to move there?

Cham

i think its up to 5 years but others may know better....

Hiya

Cham

The 173 visa is only valid for 2 years; within that time you have to apply for the upgrade to the permanent 143 visa, or start all over again.

Mike

Well, who would have thought it - you leave the UK to take up life the other side of the world and be with your family, and what does your family do..............................they get to meet the Queen! More celebrity for our beautiful Grandaughter.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/10/27/287441_news.html

:notworthy::notworthy:

How delightful for your granddaughter and for the queen

I hope good health continues

Moira

G'Day Ann

Good luck, Mike

Thanks for that Mike

Ann:spinny:

Guest chameleon
The 173 visa is only valid for 2 years; within that time you have to apply for the upgrade to the permanent 143 visa, or start all over again.

Mike

Hi

Sorry to be a bit thick and maybe i should have checked this when i applied but

do you mean from the date it is granted it is only valid for two years or valid for two years once you move to Aus?

Thanks

Cham

Hi

Sorry to be a bit thick and maybe i should have checked this when i applied but

do you mean from the date it is granted it is only valid for two years or valid for two years once you move to Aus?

Thanks

Cham

It the 173 is valid for two years from the date it is granted,during this time you must update to a 143,and pay the government some more cash.

good luck.

Mike.

Guest chameleon
It the 173 is valid for two years from the date it is granted,during this time you must update to a 143,and pay the government some more cash.

good luck.

Mike.

Hi

Thanks for your help but could you advise me further.

If we were granted a 173 we would have to sell the house before we go, in your or any one elses opinion is it worth upgrading now to a 143 or if the house is not selling can i upgrade from England or do we have to be in Aus.

Sorry to be so dumb but i am just trying to work out what is the best thing to do.

Cham

Hi

If we were granted a 173 we would have to sell the house before we go, in your or any one elses opinion is it worth upgrading now to a 143 or if the house is not selling can i upgrade from England or do we have to be in Aus.

Sorry to be so dumb but i am just trying to work out what is the best thing to do.

Cham

Once granted you have one year to visit OZ to validate the visa (from date of meds or police checks) this can be for a holiday or permanent stay, with houses not selling and the abismal exchange rate only you can work out the financial side of thing as it affects you, we were very lucky we sold the house within two days for the full asking price and they also bought the furniture,I,m afraid there are many uncomfortable decisions to be made along the way both financial and emotional but if you have started the process I am sure you will find it all worth while eventually.

All the best whatever you decide.

Cheers Mike.

For those of you who are applying for the 173: I recieved an email from my Case Officer apologising that he had made a mistake and confirming that you can in fact be offshore or onshore when you apply to upgrade to the 143 permanent visa and offshore or onshore when the visa is granted. Phew!

Hi

Cham

Hi Cham, Unfortunately you cant "upgrade" your 173 application to a 143 before it is even granted. You have to begin the whole process again with a new application if you change your mind and go for the 143 now. We asked DIAC the same question last year and we were told to submit new forms and a further 1st VAC.

Hope this helps!

Val

Guest chameleon
Hi

Cham

Hi Cham, Unfortunately you cant "upgrade" your 173 application to a 143 before it is even granted. You have to begin the whole process again with a new application if you change your mind and go for the 143 now. We asked DIAC the same question last year and we were told to submit new forms and a further 1st VAC.

Hope this helps!

Val

Hi Val

Well that has solved that query, we will stick with what we have and see what happens. Hopefully we will be able to sell the house presuming we get the visa.

As it gets closer to things happening the more things go on in the head, is it the right thing to do, the right visa, what chances of getting the visa, where to move to if accepted and so on and so on. We have a son in WA and daughter in Queensland was intending to go to Queensland but love Esperance in WA so much when we visited and felt it suited us so much better. Now we are not sure.

Thanks for the information

Cham

Well, after nearly a year planning this we are off to see Harry, our grandson, (and his parents)!!!

We had an excellent flight here with Singapore Airlines, all the recommendations were great.

I was somewhat p**ped when we arrived, all the tension about have I done everything etc???? We booked into T3 transit hotel for a few hours and that helped.

The airport has a tremendous amount of things to do and 'stuff' to see, whatever age you are.

Can't wait for the morning when we arrive in Sydney for 10 weeks with Harry.

He wasn't walking last time I saw him, so that will be just so.........well all you ladies know what I mean (my OH can't understand why I get so emotional about it all!!)

Have just skyped our granddaughter back in UK and she is excited for us too, although at 3 years old, she doesn't realise how long we will be away.

Maybe it was the singapore sling in Harrys Bar, but really don't want to do this journey again, too emotional, give me the visa application forms and just wont go back:confused:

Anyway, let me be the first to wish all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

See you in 2012

Cheers Pam

Had an email this morning from the case officer..................they are waiting for our police check certificates. I sent them via our very own royal mail "international signed for" on 12th October. Is it too soon to panic or should I just get another set and send them again? Any advice or similar experiences would be most welcome right now. I have started to eat the chocolate which was bought for Trick or Treaters..................I might not be able to fit into the aircraft seat....arrgghh!!!

Well, after nearly a year planning this we are off to see Harry, our grandson, (and his parents)!!!

We had an excellent flight here with Singapore Airlines, all the recommendations were great.

I was somewhat p**ped when we arrived, all the tension about have I done everything etc???? We booked into T3 transit hotel for a few hours and that helped.

The airport has a tremendous amount of things to do and 'stuff' to see, whatever age you are.

Can't wait for the morning when we arrive in Sydney for 10 weeks with Harry.

He wasn't walking last time I saw him, so that will be just so.........well all you ladies know what I mean (my OH can't understand why I get so emotional about it all!!)

Have just skyped our granddaughter back in UK and she is excited for us too, although at 3 years old, she doesn't realise how long we will be away.

Maybe it was the singapore sling in Harrys Bar, but really don't want to do this journey again, too emotional, give me the visa application forms and just wont go back:confused:

Anyway, let me be the first to wish all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

See you in 2012

Cheers Pam

Hi Pam

I know how you feel about the journey being emotional. I am off to Oz for 2mths in December (thats if I get there, have booked with Qantas!!!) People say arent you excited and I am but the thought of when I turn away from grandchildren(oh dear wheres the tissues) is always present.

But Harry will be worth it - its when he first sees you and beams.

Best wishes Moira

Had an email this morning from the case officer..................they are waiting for our police check certificates. I sent them via our very own royal mail "international signed for" on 12th October. Is it too soon to panic or should I just get another set and send them again? Any advice or similar experiences would be most welcome right now. I have started to eat the chocolate which was bought for Trick or Treaters..................I might not be able to fit into the aircraft seat....arrgghh!!!

We posted some stuff to Perth with royal mail on the 18th of August (international signed for) it still has not got there they are a load of rubbish and Australia Post are just as bad,if I were you I would start to look at plan B.

Cheers Mike.

We posted some stuff to Perth with royal mail on the 18th of August (international signed for) it still has not got there they are a load of rubbish and Australia Post are just as bad,if I were you I would start to look at plan B.

Cheers Mike.

I would ring them up or email them again -because a £ to a penny they are sitting on their desk. We had the same thing happen with ours and emailed saying that we had tracked them to Australia on a specific date and could they check again amongst their delivery...lo and behold they found them.

Julie

I would ring them up or email them again -because a £ to a penny they are sitting on their desk. We had the same thing happen with ours and emailed saying that we had tracked them to Australia on a specific date and could they check again amongst their delivery...lo and behold they found them.

Julie

We had exactly the same experience - we tracked them as far as the Australian Postal System on a specific date and Immi went on a search for them and, just as Julie has said, they found them ! E mail and be a bit pushy but get as many facts as you can first. Good Luck Gill

Thanks for the advice everyone! I spoke to Royal Mail and the bloke had a moan about Australians striking etc - not helpful at all! So, I have sent for some more police certificates and emailed the CO to ask what method she would prefer me to send the stuff to ensure it gets there! I also mentioned that "somebody" must have signed for the original package, therefore it must be there and please would she investigate further........hmmm we shall see!

Never a dull moment - and just when we thought the end was in sight.

Val x

Thanks for the advice everyone! Never a dull moment - and just when we thought the end was in sight.

Val x

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sorry, but you'll soon discover that there is usually something else which creeps up and surprises you

I know you can send things by international Signed For now to Australia, but a couple of years ago the Post Office in the UK wouldn't do it. When I asked why they said that the Australian Post was very unreliable and they couldn't guarantee arrival!

Having been here for 6 months I can confirm that the post here is not always the most efficient. We have always sent stuff by courier, a little more expensive, but well worth it I think to avoid the hassle. And it usually arrives within 2-4 days. Could it be that the mail is affected by the Qantas situation?