Guest guest36187

....... one word of help, if you had your own home in UK and going to rent, get reference from selling agent to say it was in good condition etc, and bring selling details, and as we have no income for another month, said we would pay 6 months up front...............

Stephen and Aileen Hubbard

Well done Steve and Aileen, you seem to have the dream start.

Regarding rentals, each agent seems to have a list of what they like to see so some things may not cover all agents, we are only paying the normal 2 weeks in advance, we just showed that we had enough money over here to pay the 6 months rent.

They did ask to see proof we had been a home owner in the UK, i.e. the sale money going in our UK account.

In hindsight we should of told them we were retired as it would of meant less questions about what kind of work are we after.

Little White Lies seem to help here in Oz, more so when you are looking for work. :shocked:

Your Oz driving licence seems to open all doors for I.D. it is as useful as a passport.

We did not open a bank account until we got here but all was very quick to do and have had no problems since.

Hardest thing to get used to out here?

1 UK winter time darkness with summer time warmth. :wacko:

2 The price of 2nd hand cars. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Best wishes to all that have made it and those still to come,

Les and Wanda:wubclub:

P.S. special thanks to Sir Mervyn King for another hole in the good ship sterling. :arghh:

Good to hear that Fiz, we get ours on this coming Monday, also via John Mason.

Unlike JTCT (very brave people) we have a rental to start with, as we wanted more time to check out where we wanted to end up. One step at a time seems to be the way to go for us. :biggrin:

Not that brave really - we have been coming here for 5 years and had done loads of research. We are normally very cautious but with so much planning done in advance everything fell into place very quickly.

Look at properties on-line but do as many 'opens' as possible to see how accurate they are in their descriptions, get a 'feel' for the area by driving around as many roads as possible and check out neighbouring properties/traffic noise/nearness of shopping centres and public transport links (schools too if you have children) etc......

Not that brave really - we have been coming here for 5 years and had done loads of research. We are normally very cautious but with so much planning done in advance everything fell into place very quickly.

Look at properties on-line but do as many 'opens' as possible to see how accurate they are in their descriptions, get a 'feel' for the area by driving around as many roads as possible and check out neighbouring properties/traffic noise/nearness of shopping centres and public transport links (schools too if you have children) etc......

'Accurate descriptions' are not something (get) real estate agents would understand in Brisbane. :twitcy:

Barking dogs is something I would add to your list.

'Accurate descriptions' are not something (get) real estate agents would understand in Brisbane. :twitcy:

Barking dogs is something I would add to your list.

Barking dogs is very definitely something to add. We are surrounded by them in the house Phil Spencer found for us. People seem to have at least 3 or 4 dogs, leave them in the garden all day whilst they are at work and never walk them....so all they have to do is bark!

Guest chameleon
Hi, I applied for the 173 visa too, have you any idea how long you expect to wait for it to be awarded. Many thanks, hope things go well for you.

Hi we got our application acceptance in March 2011 and looking at the site http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php which has been set up you are looking at about 400 days from that acceptance to getting your CO and then it is the medicals and criminal records and hopefully visa granted.

When did you get your application acception date. If you want to be added to the list you can login and put your name on it.

Hope it goes well for you. Where are you heading?

:biggrin:

Buying a house here is so easy compared to the UK. We put in an offer saturday, it was accepted yesterday, signed contracts today and once survey is done (Thursday) and hopefully OK we pay the deposit next Monday and exchange formally. Could be in our beautiful new home by 18th November!!!!

We Tarrants don't hang about. We only arrived 2 weeks ago tomorrow. (But we had visited, researched and looked on-line at loads of houses since we started this whole Visa process)

That is so much easier than UK. It all sou nds great. Lovely to hear from you

Moira

Buying a house here is so easy compared to the UK. We put in an offer saturday, it was accepted yesterday, signed contracts today and once survey is done (Thursday) and hopefully OK we pay the deposit next Monday and exchange formally. Could be in our beautiful new home by 18th November!!!!

We Tarrants don't hang about. We only arrived 2 weeks ago tomorrow. (But we had visited, researched and looked on-line at loads of houses since we started this whole Visa process)

Congratulations - I thought we were fast, arrived in Australia 14th June, completed house purchase 11th August, took delivery of our container and moved in 14th August! Hope it all goes smoothly for you. Gill

Hi, thanks for that information, got acknowledge on 20th September, 2011. I am heading for Brisbane, my son lives there. Thanks again, will put my details on that link.

Hi summerdaisy,

May I just a little bit be curious about your acknowlegement letter? Do they say anything re the applications being processed these days? i mean what time of those applications submitted last year?

Thank you

Congratulations - I thought we were fast, arrived in Australia 14th June, completed house purchase 11th August, took delivery of our container and moved in 14th August! Hope it all goes smoothly for you. Gill

Our timings are very similar - 8 weeks for you and just over 7 weeks for us by the time our furniture is delivered! 25.gif

Survey went OK today - exchange Monday and complete/move in on 18th November. Our shipment is due in Adelaide around 14th but I assume you add a few days more for customs clearance.

Hi summerdaisy,

May I just a little bit be curious about your acknowlegement letter? Do they say anything re the applications being processed these days? i mean what time of those applications submitted last year?

Thank you

I recieved my acknowlegement which was dated 28th June 2011, it stated they were still working on applications lodged 20th May 2010. Ann:sad:

I recieved my acknowlegement which was dated 28th June 2011, it stated they were still working on applications lodged 20th May 2010. Ann:sad:

G'Day

If you look at Steve's Gainwave tracker, you'll see recent "CO" dates for acknowledgements dated August 2010. As you'll see below (or, for more detail, the "Visas granted" section of the Tracker), ours took considerably less time – but I suspect there was an accelleration (to meet quotas?) as they approached the end of the Oz financial year (30 June).

Mike

:cry:

Ar 7.30am yrsterday morning when I was checking my emails the one we all long for dropped into my inbox.....our CO had been appointed. It's taken 58 weeks from acknowledgement.

I've spoken to him about our situation basically asking if there was any leeway to postpone the application for 6 months but it seems not so we have had to withdraw the application, it has to be resubmitted (more $) and back to the

starting post.

Its good news for those who are waiting there's a CO free to be reassigned. :biggrin:

Im so gutted I feel like giving up altogether :cry: :cry:

Phoebe

Guest chameleon

Ar 7.30am yrsterday morning when I was checking my emails the one we all long for dropped into my inbox.....our CO had been appointed. It's taken 58 weeks from acknowledgement.

I've spoken to him about our situation basically asking if there was any leeway to postpone the application for 6 months but it seems not so we have had to withdraw the application, it has to be resubmitted (more $) and back to the

starting post.

Its good news for those who are waiting there's a CO free to be reassigned. :biggrin:

Phoebe

So sorry to hear this. I have followed your quotes and feel for you hopefully it will all turn out alright for you in the end.

Thank you for replying Ann. There was a guy posting on this forum that on his parent's knowledgement letter in August, they said all applications up to June 2011 already had a co. That is why I try to have some confirm from someone else, just to have a little bit more hope.

G'Day

If you look at Steve's Gainwave tracker, you'll see recent "CO" dates for acknowledgements dated August 2010. As you'll see below (or, for more detail, the "Visas granted" section of the Tracker), ours took considerably less time – but I suspect there was an accelleration (to meet quotas?) as they approached the end of the Oz financial year (30 June).

Mike

Thank you Mike. This may be the reason why many applications were so quick at the end of the last finanial year.

So hopeless that they will do it quicker.

I just hope that they can make it quicker! My mother is 68 and living alone in Vietnam with me as her only child here in OZ.:SLEEP:

@ PhoebeW: It is so sad for you, just need to deter 6 ms more. I hope the future will be better.

Phoebe

Steady on Phoebe, I'm even getting wet over here. :twitcy:

Fate has a lot to play in life and you may well find everything drops into place next time round.

Just at this moment it may look bleak but it may be better for you to recharge your batteries and take a fresh view at what you can do and what is the most cost effective way of you getting out to Oz. :wubclub:

Best wishes, Les and Wanda

So sorry things haven't gone according to plan Phoebe. I do hope things will be back on track again next year and you will be 'living the dream' It must be heartbreaking for you after getting so close.

I know today is probably a bad one but I pray things will get better for you soon - don't give up! I just wish some of our good luck could rub off on you. Sending massive hugs ((((()))))

starting post.

Phoebe

Very sorry to hear that, Phoebe. Hope you have the stamina.

Mike & Sue

Our timings are very similar - 8 weeks for you and just over 7 weeks for us by the time our furniture is delivered! 25.gif

Survey went OK today - exchange Monday and complete/move in on 18th November. Our shipment is due in Adelaide around 14th but I assume you add a few days more for customs clearance.

Our container arrived Melbourne on 28th July but it was a week before we heard that customs were going to process it. We then received an invoice for $96 Customs Charge for the 3 bottles of Champagne and couple of fairly new electrical goods we declared, which once paid was then passed on for quarantine inspection. We expected quarantine to find something (just for the sake of it) that would need treating, but they didn't - it was inspected, passed and given clearance within 48 hours. Prior to leaving the UK we had negotiated a few weeks free storage but in reality the timing was perfect. The house was completed on the 11th and we had arranged for delivery on 14th.

Gill

starting post.

Phoebe

So sorry to hear about your difficulties, I hope everything gets sorted out for you very soon.

Gill

Hi, In the acknowledgement letter it said that the July 2010 applications were being processed at the time of my acknowledgement. Have you applied yourself for a visa? Also I am confused about the 2nd VAC, it says 24,010 dollars and when I put that into euro it comes up as 17,800 euro and on other sites it says it is 18k+. any ideas?

Thank you for replying Ann. There was a guy posting on this forum that on his parent's knowledgement letter in August, they said all applications up to June 2011 already had a co. That is why I try to have some confirm from someone else, just to have a little bit more hope.

I suspect that whoever typed June 2011 into either the acknowledgement letter or the post on this forum made a little error which has got people a bit excited. My own application took 14 months and so did many others. I very much doubt that anyone would have a case officer allocated after only 4 months.

Val

Hi, In the acknowledgement letter it said that the July 2010 applications were being processed at the time of my acknowledgement. Have you applied yourself for a visa? Also I am confused about the 2nd VAC, it says 24,010 dollars and when I put that into euro it comes up as 17,800 euro and on other sites it says it is 18k+. any ideas?

Hi, i am using an agent for my visa , think i was quoted $37,900 managed to lodge before july so missed the increase in price....i think........and hope!! works out around 23-24 thousand pounds by todays exchange rate. I think thats right as i try to put everything to the back of my mind while waiting for a CO otherwise this visa is on my mind 24/7. Although not a day goes by i don't log onto here to read up on everyones news, good or sad. It really is a rollercoaster ride for everyone. Ann :eek:

Guest patricia107

Hi everyone, I have asked questions a couple of times but things have moved a lot quicker than we had anticipated, so I need help....

We decided to put our house on the market and exchanged contracts today! We didn't expect the house to sell quickly and it sold in three weeks to cash buyers! They want to be in at the end of November 2011!!!!! We want to fly out to Sydney end November early December.

The question is if we fly out to sydney on an tourist visa which is valid for one year, can we keep going out to for instance New Zealand every three months (our son lives there) and then return to Sydney and after three months go out of the country again and do that for one year and hope the 143 is processed during that time. Our daughters are in Sydney , we only applied in May 2011, so we don't even have a case officer yet! Or do we have to get a six month visa and come back to the UK and then go back out to Sydney on another six month visa? (I know that sounds like a total blonde moment but my brain is a bit that way about at the moment!) - this is all happening so fast and we will be homeless next month!

Any advice will be so welcome. Many thanks Patricia

Hi everyone, I have asked questions a couple of times but things have moved a lot quicker than we had anticipated, so I need help....

We decided to put our house on the market and exchanged contracts today! We didn't expect the house to sell quickly and it sold in three weeks to cash buyers! They want to be in at the end of November 2011!!!!! We want to fly out to Sydney end November early December.

The question is if we fly out to sydney on an tourist visa which is valid for one year, can we keep going out to for instance New Zealand every three months (our son lives there) and then return to Sydney and after three months go out of the country again and do that for one year and hope the 143 is processed during that time. Our daughters are in Sydney , we only applied in May 2011, so we don't even have a case officer yet! Or do we have to get a six month visa and come back to the UK and then go back out to Sydney on another six month visa? (I know that sounds like a total blonde moment but my brain is a bit that way about at the moment!) - this is all happening so fast and we will be homeless next month!

Any advice will be so welcome. Many thanks Patricia

Almost the same thing happened to us. We sold our house the night before flying to Australia for a 6 week holiday. On our return we had 9 days to find ourselves somewhere to live and move out of the house where we had lived for 30 years.

Our advice would be to get yourself a rental property in the UK and stay there waiting in the hope that the exchange rate will improve - that will give you longer to gradually shunt money over - using something like UK Forex or a similar provider - into an Australian bank account.

We toyed with the idea of a small flat for the duration but then would have had to pay for furniture storage, so in the end we took a 4 bedroom with double garage on an estate. This gave us time to whittle down some of our accumulated junk. We are pleased we took a 40 foot container to bring the majority of our possessions over here though - because it has saved us a considerable amount of money.

Hope our experience helps you making your own decision.