Guest guest36187

After a frantic fortnight of packing up, parties, goodbyes, house and car selling, staying with friends and living out of a suitcase........:chatterbox: WE HAVE SET FOOT IN THE PROMISED LAND. We arrived yesterday on the 5th anniversary of my daughter's arrival and are happily settling into our new life in Adelaide.

Off to sort out Bank, Tax, Medicare, Seniors Card etc in the next few days and have already planned a few 'opens' for the weekend! The adventure has begun (shame we left 30 degrees and blue skies in Surrey and arrived to 16 and rain in Australia):biglaugh:

Can't believe we're finally here (probably never to return to the UK) and living the dream. Good luck to all on the journey, your time will soon come and 'g'day mate' to all those already here who have helped us along the way.:wink:

What a wonderful uplifting post

thanks

Moira

Thanks for your advise. Perhaps you could shed more light on this.

So..... this is the situation.

The Business is a (pty)Ltd. company in Australia to which at the moment my father is in a 50% partnership. As of 31 Octber he will be sole owner. The other 50% is owned by the seller who is trading under a differnt business name.

The directors are myself and my Father only.

I am not earning an income from the business (I've been made director more for convenience sake as i am in Australia, and I know there are minimun income requirements to be met for an individual to be the Assurer).

The business is currently being managed by the seller.

Would it be better to ask the seller to be assurer, Or would i qualify to be Assurer on behald of the organisation (the complication being that the Organisation is actually part owned by my father).

One last thing does it matter whether the Assurer actually leaves the country permannetly during the 10 year period?

Thanks for listening

You cannot be the Assurer if you do not personally satisfy the income requirement.

I cannot answer the question as to whether the seller or the Pty Limited should be the Assurer. If both are eligible - and the seller is happy to act as an Assurer - you must make the judgement call.

Best regards.

After a frantic fortnight of packing up, parties, goodbyes, house and car selling, staying with friends and living out of a suitcase........:chatterbox: WE HAVE SET FOOT IN THE PROMISED LAND. We arrived yesterday on the 5th anniversary of my daughter's arrival and are happily settling into our new life in Adelaide.

Off to sort out Bank, Tax, Medicare, Seniors Card etc in the next few days and have already planned a few 'opens' for the weekend! The adventure has begun (shame we left 30 degrees and blue skies in Surrey and arrived to 16 and rain in Australia):biglaugh:

Can't believe we're finally here (probably never to return to the UK) and living the dream. Good luck to all on the journey, your time will soon come and 'g'day mate' to all those already here who have helped us along the way.:wink:

Great news, hope everything goes well.

Guest spursno1

Hi Amanda97 answer to your qustion--you cannot obtain a concession card until you are a resident.Drugs cost you slightly less if pensioner at around $25.oo per scrip Spursno1

Guest spursno1

Hi Durhamlad you are covered for all hospital admissions whilst on a tourist visa.I was flown by Flying Doctor service to a cardiac hospital in Perth and underwent heart surgery and all was covered Spursno1

Brilliant.....enjoy living the dream :cool:

Phoebe

Guest Pixie10

Can I very naively ask- I think I've read it somewhere- that if my parents apply for visa sub class 103, can they apply for a tourist visa to visa us in Oz and then a bridging visa to stay in Oz??

I've had a look on DIAC but cant find it......

Thanks all

Guest Pixie10
Nope, not possible.

A bridging visa only comes into play when an onshore application is lodged.

Look at the Aged Parent visa, subclass 804.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan- will do

Hi all

I'm new to the thread and need your help...

My parents are hoping to apply for 12 months tourist visa in November 2011 to visit Australia and immediately after that will be lodging contributory parent visa (173) from offshore before they travel to AU.

Is this acceptable? Will either visa would get rejected since they apply CPV immediately after tourist visa ?

Thanx

Hi all

I'm new to the thread and need your help...

My parents are hoping to apply for 12 months tourist visa in November 2011 to visit Australia and immediately after that will be lodging contributory parent visa (173) from offshore before they travel to AU.

Is this acceptable? Will either visa would get rejected since they apply CPV immediately after tourist visa ?

Thanx

We applied for CPV 143 onshore while we were here on a Tourist Visa,we intended to depart for UK as outlined in Tourist visa and did so---we did not have any problems,we are still in the Q for case officer---why not apply for 173 then 12 month tourist visa?If you have applied for 143/173 CPV a 12 month Tourist visa seems to be a given.

We applied for CPV 143 onshore while we were here on a Tourist Visa,we intended to depart for UK as outlined in Tourist visa and did so---we did not have any problems,we are still in the Q for case officer---why not apply for 173 then 12 month tourist visa?If you have applied for 143/173 CPV a 12 month Tourist visa seems to be a given.

Thanx alot. But do they have to wait for the acknowledgement letter for CPV lodgement before lodging the tourist visa? I cannot delay the tourist visa for them as it should happen before end November for some personal reasons. How can we prove that they have lodge the CPV without receiving the acknowledgement letter?

Other reason is our 2 period of stay here as sponsors complete only in next 10th November. So does that mean we have to wait til 10th/11 to lodge their CPV's?

Brilliant.....enjoy living the dream :cool:

Phoebe

Buying a house here is so easy compared to the UK. We put in an offer saturday, it was accepted yesterday, signed contracts today and once survey is done (Thursday) and hopefully OK we pay the deposit next Monday and exchange formally. Could be in our beautiful new home by 18th November!!!!

We Tarrants don't hang about. We only arrived 2 weeks ago tomorrow. (But we had visited, researched and looked on-line at loads of houses since we started this whole Visa process)

Buying a house here is so easy compared to the UK. We put in an offer saturday, it was accepted yesterday, signed contracts today and once survey is done (Thursday) and hopefully OK we pay the deposit next Monday and exchange formally. Could be in our beautiful new home by 18th November!!!!

We Tarrants don't hang about. We only arrived 2 weeks ago tomorrow. (But we had visited, researched and looked on-line at loads of houses since we started this whole Visa process)

Oh my goodness!!!!

You certainly don't let the grass grow under your feet!

Good luck with the survey and have fun in your new home................the story continues..............

Cheers Pam

bit of trivia ...my shipment arrived today and amidst all the chaos I've sat down this evening to see if my uk TV would work...and it does!!!!!

All I needed to do was change the country from uk to Germany -then I reset it to autotune and much to my astonishment it all works beautifully

It is a relatively new Toshiba but it isn't hd..just HD ready whatever that means.

Probably more importantly, I have absolutely no breakages or damage to any of my stuff...thanks to john masons excellent packing. All in all, 11 weeks door to door which I am delighted with as i went with the groupage option

bit of trivia ...my shipment arrived today and amidst all the chaos I've sat down this evening to see if my uk TV would work...and it does!!!!!

All I needed to do was change the country from uk to Germany -then I reset it to autotune and much to my astonishment it all works beautifully

It is a relatively new Toshiba but it isn't hd..just HD ready whatever that means.

Probably more importantly, I have absolutely no breakages or damage to any of my stuff...thanks to john masons excellent packing. All in all, 11 weeks door to door which I am delighted with as i went with the groupage option

Hi Fiz, I am loving all these positive stories! Glad you got your stuff alright. I keep wandering around our house thinking "could I live without this?" the answer is usually YES! What I cant live without is my family and thats the most important thing. Enjoy your new life and keep us updated with your progress.

Val x

Vron

If you don't go for the CPV and end up on the normal parent visa your life will go on hold for a good few years waiting for that one to come through.

I know it's a lot of money for the CPV but we did it and moved here 19 months ago and we are 60 and 59.

I know we certainly would not put our lives on hold for the normal parent visa.

Good Luck with whatever you choose and Good Luck to everyone else on here

Caz

Hi could you tell me how long it took for the visa to come through, I have applied for a 173 Temporary parent visa which will be valid for 2 years.

Hi could you tell me how long it took for the visa to come through, I have applied for a 173 Temporary parent visa which will be valid for 2 years.

Hi, there seems to be a wait of around 430 days from acknowledgement to the request for medicals and police checks - in my case, 26 July 2010 to 27 September 2011. We too are going for the 173. Why not have a look at the tracker which was set up and is managed by Sandch who is a regular poster on this thread. Go to www.gainwave.co.uk and click on applications in progress. Good Luck! Val x

G'Day all

Does anyone have any idea how long the "upgrade" from a 173 to a 143 visa takes? The only person on Steve's tracker to have done (and recorded) this is jmm100uk, who last year seemed to take three months to get a CO, then several months more to complete.

Does anyone have any more recent news?

We're planning to go out to Sydney for the summer in early December, validating our 173s as we enter; then pretty well immediately apply for the permanent 143s. We're then returning to the UK in March to put our flat on the market, but it would be good to have the 143s under our belt, as it were.

Good luck to all those now settling Down Under.

Mike

Hi All,

We have been on the 103 list now for some 6 1/2 years. We were recently contacted to say we may be looked at in the not too distant future. My question is: 1. Having now after such a long time been given this encouraging news, can anyone tell me if/when we are likely to to allocated a case officer. 2. When the process formally begins, how long do you think it will normally take. Many Thanks. No getting very inpatient POM.

Good to hear that Fiz, we get ours on this coming Monday, also via John Mason.

Unlike JTCT (very brave people) we have a rental to start with, as we wanted more time to check out where we wanted to end up. One step at a time seems to be the way to go for us. :biggrin:

We arrived here in Busselton, WA on 10th September, and moved in with our daughter, son in law and 2 grandsons, they picked us up at the airport, and once home with a cuppa, oldest grandson said, "mummy has a baby in her tummy" so to go with all the emotion of actully getting here, we will be present when grandchild number 3 arrives, to go with the 2 left behind in UK, very hard to leave 2 behind and daughter. Once here there is so much to do, and all quite stresful in your first week, Medicare, Centerlink, driving licences, tax file number.We were glad that we used a large part of our hand luggage bringing inportant documents. we also bought a new Ford Escape, but are still waiting delivery as it is also on a boat, but part of the deal was garage lent us a motor until it arrives, so we are driving round in a 10 year old Ford Falcon, but it is worth its weight to get us out and about. As I was a Site manager in the building industry, I did not think there would be problems with getting a job, how wrong, the building game is much different here with no real big developments on one site, but to be on safe side I registered with several agencies and firms, and as a back up, with Bunnings, I am not too proud to work in a warehouse, as long as it brings in Aussie dollars!! well a manager saw my CV and passed it on to another manager who he knew was looking for a Sales Rep in Bunnings Trade, a completly different warehouse dealing only with Builders. I start next Monday, good salary, company car, phone and computer, incentive scheme, discount, and yearly bonus, so a change of direction. We have now agreed a rental, a small 4 + 2 by Aussie standards and we move in on 28th. Our furniture should arrive in Freemantle this weekend, so we will soon have our own home again, one word of help, if you had your own home in UK and going to rent, get reference from selling agent to say it was in good condition etc, and bring selling details, and as we have no income for another month, said we would pay 6 months up front, all we need now is for exchange rate to inprove, to get more money over, managed some at 1.6 the other week, and think this is the best rate we can hope for. so now we settle down to live the dream, so many highs and lows on the long journey, but so worthwile now we are here. Good luck to all on the same journey, and hope all who have made it are as happy as us!!! :laugh:

Stephen and Aileen Hubbard

Guest chameleon

Hi

Can anyone tell me if when you apply for the visa do you have to state where abouts in Oz you are intending to live. We applied earlier in the year for a 173 but can't remember if they asked about location on the forms. It is just that we have decided to go to another area on the other side of Aiustralia and wondered if that mattered and if we have to inform them as to our change of mind.

Thanks

Hi

Can anyone tell me if when you apply for the visa do you have to state where abouts in Oz you are intending to live. We applied earlier in the year for a 173 but can't remember if they asked about location on the forms. It is just that we have decided to go to another area on the other side of Aiustralia and wondered if that mattered and if we have to inform them as to our change of mind.

Thanks

No, you do not have to notify anyone, , you can live wherever you want to.

Charlie