Guest guest36187

:jiggy:

G'day Moira

I happened to know that Oz uses DAB+, so when I invested in a digital radio I got a dual-standard one that also doubles as an internet radio (and has FM for good measure!). We have WiFi in our Sydney apartment, so with a bit of initial fiddling to set it up, we can now listen to local stations and the Beeb – and, for that matter, American jazz stations that I enjoy – without having to actually route the signal through the computer.

(For anyone interested, it was a Revo Blick.)

Mike

Sounds good Mike

Congratulations on being granted your visa nannadi ! It was good to hear it does finally happen. My mum and dad have just gone on the waiting list after appyling for aged parent 804 onshore while visiting me in December. I was hoping you could help me out with a quick question. What medicare benefits were you entitled to ? Dad is on a few medications and my understanding is he won't get a concession card even if he is over 65 as he is not a permanent resident so will have to pay normal adult prices ?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Does anybody know if my digital radio would work in Oz. I know it would not pick up the BBc but I wondered if it would pick up Oz stations?

Moira

I recently ordered a DAB radio / iPod dock from the UK Moira because it was nearly half the price of the cheapest local retailer (after taking into account shipping of £22!). It works perfectly here. It found about a thousand stations and set itself to local time when I plugged it in. It seems like they don't all work though based on previous comments – this is a Sony DAB/DAB+/FM model.

Cheers

Steve

Please can someone give me some advise on how to find a sponsor, we really dont know where to start. My husband is a supervisor on the local council on highways. Any help would do, ive been told its very expensive if we should find a recruitment firm to help, or is that the best option i really dont know. Thanks guys x

I think you might have the wrong thread - this one is for parents migrating to Australia, normally sponsored by their resident son or daughter. If not please add a bit of information about your circumstances so that someone may be able to help.

Medicals Help Please

Hi all,

We have our meds booked in Manchester for next Monday and the information pack we were sent says that we have to bring forms 26 & 160 AND 26EH & 160EH. I have successfully filled out and printed 26 & 160 but I can`t find how to fill in and print the eHealth ones. I thought that you could only access the eHealth forms if your application was lodged online and ours was lodged in the post.

To make things worse, the clinic has moved from the city centre to a fancy private hospital on the outskirts and when I phoned to ask about the forms, the lady didnt really know what I was talking about but said she would try to find out! Hope my blood pressure has gone down by Monday!

Hope somebody can reassure me!

Thanks, Val x

PANIC OVER!!!!

Phew! Lady from clinic just phoned to say that the wording on the letter is wrong and should have read "forms 26/160 OR 26EH/160EH. You would think that for the money they charge they could get a simple thing like this right! They also didnt put enough stamps on my pack and I had to pick it up from the post office and pay another £1.12!

As if you need any more stress right now!

One day we will look back on all this and laugh (but not right now!)

Val x

I am thinking of updating my mother application.

Just remember that trinandtony posted that they updated theirs and then it seems their application go to the bottom of the pile.

@ trinandtony: have you got the case officer? Thank you.

@ all: is there anyone that updating your application but still have co in time.

Is there anyone who has recently had the letter of acknowledgment? If yes, please give us some info re the time line in it? (in May 2011, they said they were processing may 2010, just being curious to know how they say in recent letters.) Thank you all

Some friends alerted us a letter in the newspaper yesterday. I wonder if any of you have read it or could confirm the meaning? It talked about Winston Churchill's speech when given the Freedom of the City of London and expressed his appreciation of the fact the Dominions of Australia, Canada and South Africa never failed to respond to the call....re WW2

".....How could he possibly ever have imagined that one day Britons who emigrated to those very countries would be shamefully discriminated against by having their pensions (to which they are legally entitled) frozen."

The article goes on to say:

"We in Australia are the lucky ones as our government generously makes up the shortfall, but why should they have to? It is time that the British Parliament listened to its conscience and voted to end this discrimination."

It is the sentence in blue that I am interested in. Can anyone throw any light on this? Does it mean that once we are Australian citizens versus Australian residents that the Australian government will make up the index linking on our pensions?

Yours ever hopeful....

Julie

It is the sentence in blue that I am interested in. Can anyone throw any light on this? Does it mean that once we are Australian citizens versus Australian residents that the Australian government will make up the index linking on our pensions?

Yours ever hopeful....

Julie

hi Julie

In our dreams, I think. I have not heard this one before and some friends of our who were £10 Poms haven't had their pension topped up.

:cry:

Charlie

I am thinking of updating my mother application.

Just remember that trinandtony posted that they updated theirs and then it seems their application go to the bottom of the pile.

@ trinandtony: have you got the case officer? Thank you.

@ all: is there anyone that updating your application but still have co in time.

Is there anyone who has recently had the letter of acknowledgment? If yes, please give us some info re the time line in it? (in May 2011, they said they were processing may 2010, just being curious to know how they say in recent letters.) Thank you all

Hi, You can see everyones timelines from acknowledgement to visa grant if you visit the site www.gainwave.co.uk The site has been set up by a fellow member of this site - Sandch, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude for his time and effort. My own acknowledgement is dated 26 July 2010 and they said that they were currently processing applications lodged in May 2009. I had cause to update my application in May 2011 but I do not think it had any effect on my case. I had notification of my case officer last week. It is very hard to judge when a case officer will be allocated but you can rest assured that you will get one eventually.

Val

Going to Oz before Christmas even if my house is not sold, but just for a holiday and to validate our Visas, so when there will enrol in Medicare etc

That probably means we do not need travel insurance to cover us when in Oz but just for the journey out.

So you lucky people who are already in Oz, or anyone about to set of, did you take out one way travel insurance and if so can you recommend a company.

David

Going to Oz before Christmas even if my house is not sold, but just for a holiday and to validate our Visas, so when there will enrol in Medicare etc

That probably means we do not need travel insurance to cover us when in Oz but just for the journey out.

So you lucky people who are already in Oz, or anyone about to set of, did you take out one way travel insurance and if so can you recommend a company.

David

Yes we took out one way travel insurance with STA.

Julie

David

G'day David

One word of warning: You may find it just as difficult, and maybe make the total cost more expensive, to get the one-way insurance for the trip back at the end of your holiday. We once did it with Flight Centre, who organised our tickets.

One snag that sometimes comes up is where would they "repatriate" you to in case of serrious illness/accident.

Good luck; and I'll be watching for others' replies myself!

Mike

G'day David

One word of warning: You may find it just as difficult, and maybe make the total cost more expensive, to get the one-way insurance for the trip back at the end of your holiday. We once did it with Flight Centre, who organised our tickets.

One snag that sometimes comes up is where would they "repatriate" you to in case of serrious illness/accident.

Good luck; and I'll be watching for others' replies myself!

Mike

Take your point Mike, the trouble is if we go for a holiday of say 6 months I doubt we would be able to obtain insurance at our age, over 65s, or it would cost far to much.

A travel agent told me just to book normal travel insurance, say multi trip for 30 days, and it would just expire at the end of the 30 days while you are over in Oz but I don't know what you could do about the return leg.

David

Guest ericanto

Hi Guys

About a month back I filled out an application for a 143 visa for my mum. DIAC have since sent an acknowledgement through post (snail mail) to my mum's address. I remember checking the option for "communication through electronic means" on the application and did also give them valid e-mail addresses . There has been no electronic communication of any sort. Is this normal - I am bit worried as the place where my mum lives, the post office have had the habit of losing mails. Do I need to contact DIAC and get this changed? Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Eric

Take your point Mike, the trouble is if we go for a holiday of say 6 months I doubt we would be able to obtain insurance at our age, over 65s, or it would cost far to much.

A travel agent told me just to book normal travel insurance, say multi trip for 30 days, and it would just expire at the end of the 30 days while you are over in Oz but I don't know what you could do about the return leg.

David

G'day David

That was the problem we had – and "solved" it by the aforesaid Flight Centre insurance.

But we never had to claim, so we never found out if it was a genuine solution, if you see what I mean!

Mike

Hi Guys

About a month back I filled out an application for a 143 visa for my mum. DIAC have since sent an acknowledgement through post (snail mail) to my mum's address. I remember checking the option for "communication through electronic means" on the application and did also give them valid e-mail addresses . There has been no electronic communication of any sort. Is this normal - I am bit worried as the place where my mum lives, the post office have had the habit of losing mails. Do I need to contact DIAC and get this changed? Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Eric

Hi,

Did you fill the form that allows you to contact DIAC on your mother behalf (form 956 http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/956.pdf)

In my case, I filled the application for my mother with that form. Also indicating that I prefer emails but they sent me a snail mail :), however to my address not to her address.

Hope this helps.

BTW do you know on the acknowledgment letter which month they are processing? I remember someone on this forum said that on that letter, they said all the applications from June 2011 (yes 2011) already have a case officer? Thank you

After a frantic fortnight of packing up, parties, goodbyes, house and car selling, staying with friends and living out of a suitcase........:chatterbox: WE HAVE SET FOOT IN THE PROMISED LAND. We arrived yesterday on the 5th anniversary of my daughter's arrival and are happily settling into our new life in Adelaide.

Off to sort out Bank, Tax, Medicare, Seniors Card etc in the next few days and have already planned a few 'opens' for the weekend! The adventure has begun (shame we left 30 degrees and blue skies in Surrey and arrived to 16 and rain in Australia):biglaugh:

Can't believe we're finally here (probably never to return to the UK) and living the dream. Good luck to all on the journey, your time will soon come and 'g'day mate' to all those already here who have helped us along the way.:wink:

After a frantic fortnight of packing up, parties, goodbyes, house and car selling, staying with friends and living out of a suitcase........:chatterbox: WE HAVE SET FOOT IN THE PROMISED LAND. We arrived yesterday on the 5th anniversary of my daughter's arrival and are happily settling into our new life in Adelaide.

Off to sort out Bank, Tax, Medicare, Seniors Card etc in the next few days and have already planned a few 'opens' for the weekend! The adventure has begun (shame we left 30 degrees and blue skies in Surrey and arrived to 16 and rain in Australia):biglaugh:

Can't believe we're finally here (probably never to return to the UK) and living the dream. Good luck to all on the journey, your time will soon come and 'g'day mate' to all those already here who have helped us along the way.:wink:

Welcome and the best of luck in your new life here.

Charlie:biggrin:

lovely post to read at 6am on a wet chilly morning here in the UK, Yes........ dark nights and winter are settling in. So pleased all is going well and your adventure is begining for you, best of luck and loads of happiness in your new life Down Under. Ann:jiggy:

Hi,

Did you fill the form that allows you to contact DIAC on your mother behalf (form 956 http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/956.pdf)

In my case, I filled the application for my mother with that form. Also indicating that I prefer emails but they sent me a snail mail :), however to my address not to her address.

Hope this helps.

BTW do you know on the acknowledgment letter which month they are processing? I remember someone on this forum said that on that letter, they said all the applications from June 2011 (yes 2011) already have a case officer? Thank you

I am using an Agent and received my acknowledgement letter via post in July, it stated i was acknowledged 28th June 2011 but they were still processing applications lodged 20th May 2010 , i don't expect to hear anything about a case officer until next April at the earliest, but it would be lovely to hear sooner though, could be the kick up the bum i need to get this house in order to sell or rent. Ann

David

Yes I did-with STA. I got flight only insurance. I could have had one way but as I bought a return ticket as I am coming back for a wedding next year I took return flight insurance. It cost me 20 pounds..it was 14 i think for one way. hope this helps

David

The Post Office also offer a good policy. But you need to phone them for the one-way insurance.

Hi Guys

Eric

Yes this is normal. They usually send out the acknowledgement of the application by post and then everything else is done by email. You probably won't hear anything else now until you are allocated a case officer, usually about 12-15 months down the line.

David

Just a little word of warning about registering for Medicare when you are validating your visa. Do make sure that you are registering as a tourist and not as a soon to be resident. You have just a year from registering with Medicare as a resident to take out private medical insurance at a discounted rate. We very nearly fell into this trap.

Cath