Guest guest36187

Hi Ann,

The email has certainly sent us into a panic! We have booked our medicals for the 10th October and have posted off our police checks today. With a bit of luck the visa will be granted in time for our next visit to our daughter in December, if not, we will have to go again to validate later in 2012. If only we had a money tree!

Hope you get some news soon, Val x

I hope they didn't manage to drown you, Steve!

It was quite an afternoon! Very loud, very wet, though it didn't quite match the fireworks of Africa or the deluges of PNG. I was glad not to be commuting anywhere. Melbourne's rail and tram system comes to a halt if the weather is bad. It comes to a halt quite often.

:fish:

Hi Ann,

The email has certainly sent us into a panic! We have booked our medicals for the 10th October and have posted off our police checks today. With a bit of luck the visa will be granted in time for our next visit to our daughter in December, if not, we will have to go again to validate later in 2012. If only we had a money tree!

Do you already have flights booked? You could try calling your case officer about 2 weeks after your medicals (takes about this for them to be put on the system) and explaining. We had a similar situation with quite a tight deadline and our case officer was very understanding after we had made here aware and we got our visas about 3 weeks before we were due to fly out.

Preparation in case we are lucky and find a buyer for our house.

Can anyone suggest what preparation we can be doing here in the UK so if we ever have to act quickly we would know what to do

Things like Income tax, bank accounts, direct debits, NIC etc. etc.

Anything really.

David

I have sent you a PM.

Preparation in case we are lucky and find a buyer for our house.

Can anyone suggest what preparation we can be doing here in the UK so if we ever have to act quickly we would know what to do

Things like Income tax, bank accounts, direct debits, NIC etc. etc.

Anything really.

David

I presume you have had shipping quotes? I found that quite useful as it spurred me on to sort everything out, give stuff to the charity shops etc etc. As I have said in earlier emails, I researched cars online which was helpful. I also researched places to rent which kind of helped though in reality I hd to depend on what was available...I looked at internet providers but have gone on recommendation with that ( courtesy of Marion from this forum)..I already had a bank account . I downloaded forms for a driving licence and also for a Seniors card which saved a bit of time and hassle when i got here. Once you have your driving licence, that is invaluable I'd for all sorts of things. Stamps in passport? Again, saves time when applying for the driving licence.

I haven't yet done anything about income tax though the lady at HMRC Cardiff said I didn't need to do a p85 because still have a uk income in the form of a teachers pension. Not sure about this but I'll. sort that another day!

Hope this helps

Regards

Fiz

Hi Ann,

G'Day Val

Congratulations and good luck on the final straight!

Don't forget to let your CO know of your travel plans if the visas don't come through before you leave – they can't grant the visas while you are actually in Oz, but if they know they can warn you in time. Then you can make a side-trip (to NZ, say) to have your visas granted there (and the stickers put in your passports), so that they become validated immediately you re-enter Oz.

Mike

Do you already have flights booked? You could try calling your case officer about 2 weeks after your medicals (takes about this for them to be put on the system) and explaining. We had a similar situation with quite a tight deadline and our case officer was very understanding after we had made here aware and we got our visas about 3 weeks before we were due to fly out.

Hi,

Yes, we booked our flights months ago because our other daughter lives in Korea and will be joining us. We though we`d have had the visa long before December going off other timelines but you cant really judge it. It doesnt really matter too much if we dont validate this trip and I suppose we would go again to visit next December as we have for the last few years. We`re not going to be living there just yet. I will take your advice though and email the case officer and just let her know we have flights booked.

Its all good fun!

Cheers, Val x

G'Day Val

Congratulations and good luck on the final straight!

Don't forget to let your CO know of your travel plans if the visas don't come through before you leave – they can't grant the visas while you are actually in Oz, but if they know they can warn you in time. Then you can make a side-trip (to NZ, say) to have your visas granted there (and the stickers put in your passports), so that they become validated immediately you re-enter Oz.

Mike

Thanks! another tempting idea Mike! I have an old school friend in Wellington and I`ve been meaning to drop in for years so its a definate plan B.

Val

I think not as they use DAB+ whereas the UK uses DAB............

I have a Pure Evoke DAB radio and contacted them to see if I could get an upgrade to DAB+ and they said for my particular model this was not possible. There are a number of models that are upgradeable, so you might be lucky? You can still listen to the radio, just not use it as a Digital Radio.

I have a Pure Evoke DAB radio and contacted them to see if I could get an upgrade to DAB+ and they said for my particular model this was not possible. There are a number of models that are upgradeable, so you might be lucky? You can still listen to the radio, just not use it as a Digital Radio.

Thanks for all your replies. I can still use it just not as digital. Thats good.

Moira

What about old style televisions, we have a couple of portables we were thinking of taking but never thought about checking to see if they would work in Oz.

We were told our flat screen LCD would but we would have to tune the sound into the German setting, something to do with Oz and German sound frequencies being the same.

David

Does anybody know if my digital radio would work in Oz. I know it would not pick up the BBc but I wondered if it would pick up Oz stations?

Moira

G'day Moira

I happened to know that Oz uses DAB+, so when I invested in a digital radio I got a dual-standard one that also doubles as an internet radio (and has FM for good measure!). We have WiFi in our Sydney apartment, so with a bit of initial fiddling to set it up, we can now listen to local stations and the Beeb – and, for that matter, American jazz stations that I enjoy – without having to actually route the signal through the computer.

(For anyone interested, it was a Revo Blick.)

Mike

What about old style televisions, we have a couple of portables we were thinking of taking but never thought about checking to see if they would work in Oz.

We were told our flat screen LCD would but we would have to tune the sound into the German setting, something to do with Oz and German sound frequencies being the same.

David

G'Day David

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

But with the addition of an Aussie set-top digibox they should do fine, I'd have thought.

Mike

Guest don1974

Please can someone give me some advise on how to find a sponsor, we really dont know where to start. My husband is a supervisor on the local council on highways. Any help would do, ive been told its very expensive if we should find a recruitment firm to help, or is that the best option i really dont know. Thanks guys x

Guest Janey1954

On things electrical....

I was thinking I wouldnt take my DVD player as its a bit old and instead thought of buying a PS3 on which I could play DVDs as well as being a source of entertainment for the wee ones when they come to visit (oh, I canny wait for that bit) Anyone got any thoughts/advice whether I should buy one here or wait till we get down under. Thanks

Janey

On things electrical....

I was thinking I wouldnt take my DVD player as its a bit old and instead thought of buying a PS3 on which I could play DVDs as well as being a source of entertainment for the wee ones when they come to visit (oh, I canny wait for that bit) Anyone got any thoughts/advice whether I should buy one here or wait till we get down under. Thanks

Janey

G'Day Janey

The thing to watch for is the regional setting, if you want to play your existing UK (Region 2) DVDs as well as any Aussie ones (Region 4) that you might buy or rent. It's easier to get a "multi-region" DVD player in the UK, I think* – although there are ways of "unlocking" a player that you buy down under.

(*Eg, from R***** Sounds, all/most of whose DVD players come "unlocked".)

Mike