Guest guest36187

hiya all,

I hate to ask such a negative question but does anyone fail the medicals? Am just asking cos my parents went and the doctors were all "I don't make the decision you know." which i understand but he said it without my dad even asking! So I was wondering does anyone fail cos I have never heard of it. Of course I have for the skilled visas but if they are asking for so much money with this one? I'd be grateful for any info but don't need any great detail or conditions or anything. Just anything anyone can share. Cheers x

We have been on this forum for sometime now, and on the other one that down hill with moderaters intervention etc. Our history, we applied for 143 visa after 1 of our 2 daughters had been in Australia for 2 years, (settled) at the time about 18 month wait for a visa, according to Steve's brilliant tracker site. 9 months later we put the Bungalow up for sale, everyone said you will easily sell that. 17 months after applying we get visa with not too many problems, we are 59 and 57 with no real health problems. But, property not sold, it takes a further 5 months to sell after many price reductions, and a further 3 months to exchange and complete. But at last we are there, we exchanged contracts yesterday, we have Pickfords in on 6th and 7th, complete and fly on 8th. Could not go sooner as found Pickfords and another company fully booked at this time of year!!! We have found the whole process very stressful, with many sleepless nights, very expensive with the exchange rate going down. One tip for anyone trying to find the money for visa when not sold, we asked for money from Building Society for a conservatory and new windows, and they just gave it to us!! But after all this we now look forward to the rest of our lives in Busselton, Western Australia, with our Daughter, Son in Law and 2 grandsons, 7 and 2. I am in the constructoin industry as a site manager, and have seen one job advertised at approx £30 per hour!! so hope to get work and show Aussies how to build. I have found this site and many of the contributers, Sir Matt, Lez, sandch and Fiz to be a great help during the journey, thanks to everyone. Will keep reading the posts, reply if I can help, and will update on the performance of removals and getting work. Bye for now, Steve and Aileen

Well done and here's wishing all the very best on your new life down under, i have been to Busselton on holiday and it's really beautiful down there. So glad you have all the stress out the way ( more or less ) and after all the wait your time has finally arrived. Well ,Perth winter is like our summer so it shouldn't be to much of a shock to the system.

All the best Steve & Aileen:jiggy:

Just bought 10 uk to Australia plug adapter thingies off eBay for ₤10-bargain!

Be careful as most adaptors don't have any connection to the earth pin and so are no good for a lot of appliances. I ended up replacing most of the UK plugs with Oz ones for my son because of this.

David

hiya all,

I hate to ask such a negative question but does anyone fail the medicals? Am just asking cos my parents went and the doctors were all "I don't make the decision you know." which i understand but he said it without my dad even asking! So I was wondering does anyone fail cos I have never heard of it. Of course I have for the skilled visas but if they are asking for so much money with this one? I'd be grateful for any info but don't need any great detail or conditions or anything. Just anything anyone can share. Cheers x

Only one I have heard of is the one that made the news recently of the lady on a one year tourist visa living in Oz with family and who applied for a permanent 143 visa and failed because of her health. Her family were appealing and got it in the press but don't know what happened.

Thanks Steveandaileen for your kind words.

I'm just 4 days ahead of you, flying from Birmingham with Emirates via Dubai-not Bali like Les and Wanda, sadly

I will be impressed with myself if I manage to get as much done in the first 2 days as K&M did. First priority is to buy a car-somewhere to live will have to wait for a bit!

Best wishes for the next 2 weeks and I hope it all goes to plan

Fiz

So many of my forum friends who have travelled with me on this roller-coaster are now on their way or about to leave. We nearly lost our sale ..... again and another person has joined the chain which brok lower down a couple of weeks ago.:cry:

After a strongly worded email from me demanding some answers, we now have an exchange date so we've getting a little closer to the end of this bumpy ride. Provided there are no more hitches we are due to exchange contracts on 15th September!!!!:eek:

Completion day could be anything from 1 to 6 weeks after that so I'm hopeful that by the end of October our flights could be booked and our stuff packed into the container. Phew. Still on target to arrive before the summer hots up so fingers crossed.:wacko:

So many of my forum friends who have travelled with me on this roller-coaster are now on their way or about to leave. We nearly lost our sale ..... again and another person has joined the chain which brok lower down a couple of weeks ago.:cry:

After a strongly worded email from me demanding some answers, we now have an exchange date so we've getting a little closer to the end of this bumpy ride. Provided there are no more hitches we are due to exchange contracts on 15th September!!!!:eek:

Completion day could be anything from 1 to 6 weeks after that so I'm hopeful that by the end of October our flights could be booked and our stuff packed into the container. Phew. Still on target to arrive before the summer hots up so fingers crossed.:wacko:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you-its worse than waiting for a visa isn't it?The emotional rollercoaster we all go on...it's a wonder any of us ever pass the medical!!!!!!!!!!

Guest sirmatt101
Hi Steve and Aileen,

Good to hear you are on your way, we pipped you at the post with John Mason packing us on the 30th & 31st August, complete on the 1st and fly on the 2nd September. :yes:

Wanda is taking us the long way round via Bali so we don't hit Brisbane until 21st Sept so I hope it's stopped raining by then. :wink:

All the best for the future.

Les & Wanda

Hi Les & Wanda, don't forget that the hot season is also the wet season :shocked:!! Just had enough rain in the last couple of days to put some water back in the tanks!!

Cheers

Matt

Guest sirmatt101

I notice that more & more of those coming on CPVs are now mentioning finding jobs once here.

There was a very interesting programme on local TV here a couple of nights ago, all about age descrimination and why it needs to stop. It would appear that its not just in the work place, here is the link to the video http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/video/ just look for the age descrimination video.

Cheers

Matt

:idea: Never found the fitting all that good so have been chopping off UK plugs on some items, taking Uk multi plugs extension leads and will just put a Oz plug on them.

Works for me too Les. I also have one good adaptor for more portability around the house but it was bought in Australia; good quality (a bit of a rare find).

Be careful as most adaptors don't have any connection to the earth pin and so are no good for a lot of appliances. I ended up replacing most of the UK plugs with Oz ones for my son because of this.

David

We changed nearly all our UK plugs for Australian ones.....all illegally of course as you are not allowed to do it yourself! We also changed a couple of 4 way UK trailing leads to use with chargers.

We changed nearly all our UK plugs for Australian ones.....all illegally of course as you are not allowed to do it yourself! We also changed a couple of 4 way UK trailing leads to use with chargers.

Hi Julian,

Are you saying that you are supposed to have a qualified electrician to change a plug in Australia?????:biglaugh:

And I would also mention:

" What a fantastic gorgeous sunny day on the Central Coast":biggrin::biggrin:

K&M

Well I hope your luck changes, you have had a few setbacks so now it is time to go full speed ahead!!!! :smile: Good luck for the 15th September,

K&M

Useful advice from everyone re adapters. I actually sent on the ship a couple of multi way adaptors but I also sent my only oz adapter so I really bought the ones on eBay for temporary use...and I find them invaluable for all those chargers that seem to dominate our lives....in my case: phone, laptop, camera, toothbrush, iPod and last but not least, a leaving present from work-a kindle!!!

Even my radio has to be charged up as it has some sort of internal chargepack: don't think I'd cope very well on a desert island, do you?

hiya all,

They usually look for things which are going to cost the health service a lot of money, such as heart problems etc. If your parents are reasonably fit and healthy then I don't think there should be a problem. If there are any issues they may ask for more tests or investigations.

Yeah, 50 bucks, no worries m8

:shocked:

excuse the pun :twitcy:

An electrician spotted that we were Poms and insisted on checking one of the plugs that clearly we had changed ourselves.....but said it was safe.....and so it should be, my husband had an ironmongers shop in the UK and often put plugs on for customers.

Hi,

we want to apply for CPV 143. My son is in Australia for past 4 yrs but started working for past 1 year. I read parents migration booklet and it is mentioned that sponsor should be settled resident? what is settled" means? My son is PR holder.Can we apply now or should I wait? Any advise/suggestion?

Hi,

we want to apply for CPV 143. My son is in Australia for past 4 yrs but started working for past 1 year. I read parents migration booklet and it is mentioned that sponsor should be settled resident? what is settled" means? My son is PR holder.Can we apply now or should I wait? Any advise/suggestion?

This usually means that your son has to have been a permanent resident of Australia for around two years. They look at things such as does he have a permanent job, house, car etc.

:jiggy::fish:We have got someone coming to look at the house. First time buyer, mortgage cleared. getting excited.

Fingers crossed for you! I think the last few stages of this process, ie selling house and packing up etc are even more stressful than the visa process.

Guest sirmatt101
Fingers crossed for you! I think the last few stages of this process, ie selling house and packing up etc are even more stressful than the visa process.

It all depends whether you sell the house before or after the visa process!

Cheers

Matt