Guest guest36187

Any suggestions for car insurance? I`m a bit confused about all this green slip business...I just need fully comp .........I have 6 years no claims..........

Fiz

G'day Fiz

Green Slip is also known as CTP – compulsory third-party. You have to have that to get your Rego (registration) – which, at least in NSW, has to last a full year; there's no leaving the car off-road and unused for part of the year, unlicensed. I don't think there's any question of NCB with CTP insurance, either, but you can get competitive quotes of course. (You also need your 'Pink Slip' – equivalent of the MOT.)

Comprehensive insurance has to be bought on top – either from the same or another insurance company (sometimes with a discount if you get both from the same company). You should get a NCB with evidence from your UK insurer.

AAMI are pretty good, but we now insure our Oz car (which we use for about 4–5 months each year until we get there permanently) with Pay-As-You-Drive (see http://www.payasyoudrive.com.au/) they base your premium on your estimated number of kms you'll drive, and you have to buy a top-up if you get near the limit; likewise, they carry over any 'unused' kms to the next year. Again, this is all NSW – it may be different in other states.

Hope that helps, Mike

Don't strike us off yet.

We're still waiting for something/anything from DIAC.

OMG - The Waiting

Hi Trinandtony,

just wanted to check in with you as at the beginning of the month you had made it known that you were still waiting for a CO. I've noticed since then that 2 others on the tracker after you have got CO but not yourselves. Is this the case. Are you still waiting?

Have you had any contact from your agent?

Just curious as i thought it was a first in first served basis. Just trying to work this all out really....

Pimb

Guest spursno1

Hi pimb just received a message from you but i am unable to find it!!!!!Further to my message regarding 804visas \i am looking at what people say about the very long wait for them to take place so what is stopping me from just arranging a 1 year tourist vise and then going somewhere to arrange a further 1 year tourist visa and so on.

My daughter is going to buy us a house to use whilst we are in oz and we pay the bills once year is up we leave oz and then re-apply for another 1 year tourist visa etc etc Comment swould be appreciated Mavin

Hi Linday thanks for replying so quickly The 804 visa is the aged parent one.My question was if my wife and i apply for this we realise that the wait time is very long so whilst waiting can we apply for a normal 1 year visa and then return to the U.K. and re-apply for another 1 year one etc.?Finally if this is o.k. do we have to country of origin or can we apply in another country? great thread site with answers from good persons experiencing difficulty's with sorting out us old parent queries Thanks from Mavin

Hi

No, the idea of the 804 is to allow someone who is already in Australia to apply for the visa and you can only apply for this while in Australia and only if you do not have a 'No Further Stay' condition on your current visa I think. You are then automatically granted a bridging visa which allows you to stay in Australia till the 804 is granted so there would be no need for the visitor visa. If you then wanted to leave Australia and return I understand that you would have to apply for a different bridging visa to allow you to leave Australia and return. You would not need to apply for a visitor visa. You would be in Australia and applying to leave and then return. However, there are restrictions on the length of time you can leave and you need to give a good reason for wanting to leave. I assume one of you is over 65 and that you pass the balance of family test?

Guest spursno1

Hi Linday thanks for reply you responded quickly his is a great site and is certainly very helpful

We are over 65 and have only 1 child so sounds good.As we would want to visit other relatives in England what would the position be if we did not apply for the visa but just applied for a 1 year tourist visa returned to U.K. and then re-applied for another 1 year visa(saves paying for the 804 and waiting such along time) Thanks in anticipatin Mavin

Still following the forum, thought we would give an update. After our CO was allocated:biggrin:on 8th of July we were asked to send further information regarding our son & dil being 'settled Australian permanent residents' due to them living in Oz less than 2 years when we applied for the visa. Thankfully we have overcome this 'hiccup' and after confirmation from our CO last Thursday it is all systems go. Hoping to book our meds on Monday, decided to go to Edinburgh the current cost being £290 each. Will update tracker in due course.

Sue & Kev

Guest angelpie
Hi

No, the idea of the 804 is to allow someone who is already in Australia to apply for the visa and you can only apply for this while in Australia and only if you do not have a 'No Further Stay' condition on your current visa I think. You are then automatically granted a bridging visa which allows you to stay in Australia till the 804 is granted so there would be no need for the visitor visa. If you then wanted to leave Australia and return I understand that you would have to apply for a different bridging visa to allow you to leave Australia and return. You would not need to apply for a visitor visa. You would be in Australia and applying to leave and then return. However, there are restrictions on the length of time you can leave and you need to give a good reason for wanting to leave. I assume one of you is over 65 and that you pass the balance of family test?

Hi

Can someone advise me please, i am new to the site and the Parent Visa thing!! My parents want to come over and stay, we have PR so can defo sponser them no worries. Can they come over and stay until there visa has been granted or must they travel back and forward until they recieve the visa ?? I know it can take a long time but is there any type of visa that allows them to stay ?? My dad has just had DVT and doesnt want to be flying if he doesnt need to for health reasons. ??

PLEASE HELP xx

Thanks

Still yer and getting paranoid.

Daily/hourly checks of email. Watching X rate.

Madness !!

I think someone said that now COs are given batches of applicants which could mean that things get slightly out of order, depending on the workload, complexities and holidays of the CO batch you end up in!

It wouldn`t do any harm to email the PVC and ask them how close you are to a CO....

Hi Steve

Not sure when you did it but many thanks for moving us to the granted list. Make it feel all the more real and a sense of achievement.

thanks

Hey Fiz, Not long now! Re car insurance; as Mike says the green slip is compulsory 3rd party insurance payable either 6 monthly or 12 monthly. The "pink" slip is the safety check which is needed before you get the "Green slip" (Newer cars don't need it) . Once you have these you need to get the actual Rego at the RTA (Roads and Traffic Authority). More to pay!! Any additional insurance is done separately or in conjunction with the Green slip Insurance. We do my Green slip with QEB and I do comprehensive with Real Insurance who gave me a good deal. Ian is with Youi for his comprehensive who suited him better. None of the Insurers were interested in our UK no claim bonuses but overall the prices weren't too bad.

And don't forget the Driver's Licence. About $150 for three years not free as in UK.

I expect all that is as clear as mud! It was to us when we arrived but we have it sorted now and can do all of it online.

PS green slips are not green and pink slips are not pink!!

see you soon

Marian

Hey Fiz, Not long now! Re car insurance; as Mike says the green slip is compulsory 3rd party insurance payable either 6 monthly or 12 monthly. The "pink" slip is the safety check which is needed before you get the "Green slip" (Newer cars don't need it) . Once you have these you need to get the actual Rego at the RTA (Roads and Traffic Authority). More to pay!! Any additional insurance is done separately or in conjunction with the Green slip Insurance. We do my Green slip with QEB and I do comprehensive with Real Insurance who gave me a good deal. Ian is with Youi for his comprehensive who suited him better. None of the Insurers were interested in our UK no claim bonuses but overall the prices weren't too bad.

And don't forget the Driver's Licence. About $150 for three years not free as in UK.

I expect all that is as clear as mud! It was to us when we arrived but we have it sorted now and can do all of it online.

PS green slips are not green and pink slips are not pink!!

see you soon

Marian

Thanks Marian- really helpful! I have been looking at cars online in the hope that i can get things sorted quickly once i arrive but nothing is easy over 10000 miles is it?!

Getting excited now-and just a bit bored with living with a bed a kettle and a laptop! Seriously though, i am sure that the last 2 weeks will go in a flash....I`m on the last round of goodbyes and cancelling phone calls to utilities etc!

I will be in touch when i arrive and as soon as i have wheels, we must meet up again

Fiz

Hi Linday thanks for reply you responded quickly his is a great site and is certainly very helpful

We are over 65 and have only 1 child so sounds good.As we would want to visit other relatives in England what would the position be if we did not apply for the visa but just applied for a 1 year tourist visa returned to U.K. and then re-applied for another 1 year visa(saves paying for the 804 and waiting such along time) Thanks in anticipatin Mavin[/quote

I do know of people who have visted Oz for 6 months at a time without a problem. I think they might refuse your visa if you kept on applying for 12 month visas as this looks like you are trying to 'live' in Australia on tourist visas.

Hi

Can someone advise me please, i am new to the site and the Parent Visa thing!! My parents want to come over and stay, we have PR so can defo sponser them no worries. Can they come over and stay until there visa has been granted or must they travel back and forward until they recieve the visa ?? I know it can take a long time but is there any type of visa that allows them to stay ?? My dad has just had DVT and doesnt want to be flying if he doesnt need to for health reasons. ??

PLEASE HELP xx

Thanks

Welcome to the thread angelpie. The Contributory Parent visa is currently taking around 15 months to process. Once your parents have appled for the visa, there is nothing to stop them from coming to Oz on a 12 month tourist visa. However, as this is an offshore visa, they would need to keep their CO informed that they are in Oz and then leave the country so they can be granted their visa. Lots of people have done this and just got to New Zealand or Singapore for a short holiday while the visa is granted. I assume they pass the Balance of Family test? You also need to be 'settled' in Oz, usually around 2 years.

A further update on the journey to retirement and spending time with our only daughter in the Central Coast NSW.

Bishop’s Move the removal company came in on the 8th of August, with the 40’container arriving on Thursday 11th, this caused chaos as he had to reverse half a mile as our house is the last one in a cul- de- sac!! A very skilful driver. We then blocked the bottom end of the road for the next six hours, though no complaints from the neighbours, maybe they were pleased to see us go!!!!

We chose Bishop’s Move over Pickford’s as they offered us four weeks free storage in Sydney, both estimates were very close at around 1,550 to 1,600 cu ft, reality came in at 1,650.

Total cost for the sole use of the 40’ container came in at £6880 from Bishop’s move which includes all packing to export standard and delivery and unpacking in Australia using Kent Movers with the removal of all the packing materials.

The only possible additional cost will be the AQIS fee at around $560.

A note of interest a 20’ container would have cost £4800 which holds 1100 cu ft and for every additional 100 cu ft of goods we would have to pay £600 which would have gone as Groupage inside another container. So the 40’ route was cheaper!!

We completed the house sale on 12th August and flew out that evening on Emirates.

My wife and I disagree as to which is better, Singapore or Emirates, I am of the view that the service on Emirates is better but the seats on Singapore are better. The wife reckons the Emirates is better all round!!

Phase one is now complete!!

We arrived into Sydney on the first flight of the day 6.05 am Sunday morning, to torrents of rain!!!!

So we queued up at the immigration desk, not too long as we were the first flight in, handed over the passports, a nice smile and “welcome to Australia” we were not asked by Customs or Quarantine to open our four suitcases and we were out of the airport by 06.30 am.

So we are now in a fully furnished out of season holiday let in Terrigal Beach, with a two minute walk to the beach, ten minutes from daughter ,though it has rained with some sun most days since we got here, it is still great to be here.!!!

So what have we achieved in the first complete week??

· Bought a car on the Monday a Toyota Rav 4. ( always fancied a 4X4)

· Signed up to Medicare, they were very helpful.

· Picked up the car on the Tuesday.

· Went and saw a house also on Tuesday, one we had seen online in the UK.

· Went to the RTA office on Wednesday to get Licenses and register the car, that was expensive!! A tip, they asked for three types of ID for the licenses, they wanted :

o
Passports

o
An Australian Credit/Debit card

o
A local utility bill with a local address, this was a problem, they suggested a quick trip to our ANZ bank who helpful as always printed out a statement with our local address on , problem solved!!!!

· Put an offer in on the house we saw on Tuesday on the Thursday, offer accepted, deposit paid, so we waived the 5 day cooling off period and completion takes place in 42 days time, the 30th September, the day our container docks in Sydney.

So we are now resting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the journey

K&M

:biggrin::biggrin:

WOW you have been busy.

We arrived in Gold Coast 6 wks ago and its tough we have a car and have rented a house, I have managed to get a job as a housekeeper in a resort, but Hubby is having problems getting work, dont know how many C V's he has put out but no response so far.

My youngest started school last week she is 14 and seems to be liking it, time will tell !

My eldest is 17 and also starting to look for work.

Fingers crossed things change soon, we are where we want to be with the family and new Grand Daughter.

Good luck to you and your family in OZ

Wilma x

A further update on the journey to retirement and spending time with our only daughter in the Central Coast NSW.

Bishop’s Move the removal company came in on the 8th of August, with the 40’container arriving on Thursday 11th, this caused chaos as he had to reverse half a mile as our house is the last one in a cul- de- sac!! A very skilful driver. We then blocked the bottom end of the road for the next six hours, though no complaints from the neighbours, maybe they were pleased to see us go!!!!

We chose Bishop’s Move over Pickford’s as they offered us four weeks free storage in Sydney, both estimates were very close at around 1,550 to 1,600 cu ft, reality came in at 1,650.

Total cost for the sole use of the 40’ container came in at £6880 from Bishop’s move which includes all packing to export standard and delivery and unpacking in Australia using Kent Movers with the removal of all the packing materials.

The only possible additional cost will be the AQIS fee at around $560.

A note of interest a 20’ container would have cost £4800 which holds 1100 cu ft and for every additional 100 cu ft of goods we would have to pay £600 which would have gone as Groupage inside another container. So the 40’ route was cheaper!!

We completed the house sale on 12th August and flew out that evening on Emirates.

My wife and I disagree as to which is better, Singapore or Emirates, I am of the view that the service on Emirates is better but the seats on Singapore are better. The wife reckons the Emirates is better all round!!

Phase one is now complete!!

We arrived into Sydney on the first flight of the day 6.05 am Sunday morning, to torrents of rain!!!!

So we queued up at the immigration desk, not too long as we were the first flight in, handed over the passports, a nice smile and “welcome to Australia” we were not asked by Customs or Quarantine to open our four suitcases and we were out of the airport by 06.30 am.

So we are now in a fully furnished out of season holiday let in Terrigal Beach, with a two minute walk to the beach, ten minutes from daughter ,though it has rained with some sun most days since we got here, it is still great to be here.!!!

So what have we achieved in the first complete week??

· Bought a car on the Monday a Toyota Rav 4. ( always fancied a 4X4)

· Signed up to Medicare, they were very helpful.

· Picked up the car on the Tuesday.

· Went and saw a house also on Tuesday, one we had seen online in the UK.

· Went to the RTA office on Wednesday to get Licenses and register the car, that was expensive!! A tip, they asked for three types of ID for the licenses, they wanted :

o
Passports

o
An Australian Credit/Debit card

o
A local utility bill with a local address, this was a problem, they suggested a quick trip to our ANZ bank who helpful as always printed out a statement with our local address on , problem solved!!!!

· Put an offer in on the house we saw on Tuesday on the Thursday, offer accepted, deposit paid, so we waived the 5 day cooling off period and completion takes place in 42 days time, the 30th September, the day our container docks in Sydney.

So we are now resting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the journey

K&M

:biggrin::biggrin:

Welcome to the Central Coast.

Ian & Julie

We have been on this forum for sometime now, and on the other one that down hill with moderaters intervention etc. Our history, we applied for 143 visa after 1 of our 2 daughters had been in Australia for 2 years, (settled) at the time about 18 month wait for a visa, according to Steve's brilliant tracker site. 9 months later we put the Bungalow up for sale, everyone said you will easily sell that. 17 months after applying we get visa with not too many problems, we are 59 and 57 with no real health problems. But, property not sold, it takes a further 5 months to sell after many price reductions, and a further 3 months to exchange and complete. But at last we are there, we exchanged contracts yesterday, we have Pickfords in on 6th and 7th, complete and fly on 8th. Could not go sooner as found Pickfords and another company fully booked at this time of year!!! We have found the whole process very stressful, with many sleepless nights, very expensive with the exchange rate going down. One tip for anyone trying to find the money for visa when not sold, we asked for money from Building Society for a conservatory and new windows, and they just gave it to us!! But after all this we now look forward to the rest of our lives in Busselton, Western Australia, with our Daughter, Son in Law and 2 grandsons, 7 and 2. I am in the constructoin industry as a site manager, and have seen one job advertised at approx £30 per hour!! so hope to get work and show Aussies how to build. I have found this site and many of the contributers, Sir Matt, Lez, sandch and Fiz to be a great help during the journey, thanks to everyone. Will keep reading the posts, reply if I can help, and will update on the performance of removals and getting work. Bye for now, Steve and Aileen

Hi Steve and Aileen,

Good to hear you are on your way, we pipped you at the post with John Mason packing us on the 30th & 31st August, complete on the 1st and fly on the 2nd September. :yes:

Wanda is taking us the long way round via Bali so we don't hit Brisbane until 21st Sept so I hope it's stopped raining by then. :wink:

All the best for the future.

Les & Wanda

Thanks Steveandaileen for your kind words.

I'm just 4 days ahead of you, flying from Birmingham with Emirates via Dubai-not Bali like Les and Wanda, sadly

I will be impressed with myself if I manage to get as much done in the first 2 days as K&M did. First priority is to buy a car-somewhere to live will have to wait for a bit!

Best wishes for the next 2 weeks and I hope it all goes to plan

Fiz

Guest Bazinga

Terrigal is lovely. We got married there in June up on the whale lookout. Unfortunately Mr B has a job offer in Canbera so no more central coast for me!