Guest guest36187

Hi Gill

Like other people I just wanted to say thankyou for that very encouraging post, very inspiring and like others I will read it again. At the moment I feel as If all I do is try to find out information and make decisions!! I telephoned a shipping company yesterday and discovered that anything that has touched the ground has to be disinfected, including wicker, I was planning on taking a unit with wicker drawers (they have been varnished). Does anybody have any idea how much customs charge for disinfecting if they decide to do it.? I am supposed to be taking over a bicycle of my sons, but it is pieces in a special box and I fear if I take it out I wont get it all back in again. So I was thinking I might let customs disinfect it.

So thanks again Gill and I will get a Post Office card

best wishes to you and your family

Moira

Thanks liverpoolloo for your very encouraging reply. As I have said, we are not even in a position to go yet, but I think if it were to be a case of now or never, we would have to jump ship and leave my sister in charge of my mum. I could come back once a year or so and try not to feel guilty the rest of the time. My husb. is due an appointment in July, and I am thinking maybe he could ask their advice .... Either way, your letter was very encouraging - I wish you good luck for your visa and for your continued good health.

Kath

Hi Gill

Like other people I just wanted to say thankyou for that very encouraging post, very inspiring and like others I will read it again. At the moment I feel as If all I do is try to find out information and make decisions!! I telephoned a shipping company yesterday and discovered that anything that has touched the ground has to be disinfected, including wicker, I was planning on taking a unit with wicker drawers (they have been varnished). Does anybody have any idea how much customs charge for disinfecting if they decide to do it.? I am supposed to be taking over a bicycle of my sons, but it is pieces in a special box and I fear if I take it out I wont get it all back in again. So I was thinking I might let customs disinfect it.

Moira

Saga also do a credit card with no charges for use abroad, i have just changed my card for this reason also, Ann

Hi everyone,

In reply to one or two queries -

Credit Cards (UK) I used to work for a Bank in their credit card operation and knew my way around the "best deals" at that time. The Post Office credit card has never (to my knowledge) charged the foreign exchange fee and I have had one for years which I only used when abroad. How it works is that credit card companies usually charge a FE fee on top of the normal foreign exchange rate (it can be as much as 2.5% which is a heavy loading on top of the transaction value). It may be that more cards are issued now without the FE fee - I think someone mentioned Saga, but I have found personally that the PO Card has always given a very reasonable exchange rate and I have never been charged any additional fees. Obviously paying it off each month means no interest charge either (I don't actually know what the interest rate is, again having worked in the business one of the first things you learn is never pay interest!)

Super - My husband is over 65 and therefore, unless he could prove he works for something like 30 hours a month he cannot contribute to Super. However, being a mere young slip of a thing at 60 I can contribute, so we put as much of our surplus savings into Super in my name and because I am over "preservation age" (generally 55years,) I could make the lump sum contribution and go immediately into "pension phase" meaning I get a monthly payment from the Super. It is really just withdrawing our own money each month but what remains in the super is obviously invested and the hope is it might grow at at least an equal rate to what is being withdrawn. The majority of our money is invested in term deposits at interest rates around the 5.5% mark. We investigated a number of routes into Super but finally decided to go with the NAB which we have been pleased with so far. Certainly the personal service is better than we found in the UK and we can contact our adviser very easily for advice when things get sticky like the Greek situation at the moment which is affecting Australian investments.

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - I must recommend anyone arriving in Australia to apply for a Seniors Card. We get some amazing discounts using it - particularly rail travel into Melbourne at only $12 return for two of us, and discounted entry into places like Melbourne Aquarium etc. But, do not confuse this with the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card sometimes also called a Seniors Card. This is extremely confusing because the two entities are completely different.

The CSHC is issued by Centrelink and to assist with Prescription costs and health services for pensioners. Below is the link to the relevant webpages for Centrelink. It is available to Australian residents who are not newly arrived in the country (hence the two year waiting period) and do not qualify for an aged pension. It may not be relevant to everyone but I would recommend reading the Centrelink pages below for full details.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/conc_cards_cshc.htm

I think that has covered the main queries - except for wicker. I don't know about furniture with wicker elements, we were certainly advised by our removers (Pickfords) NOT to even take anything wicker, I sold all my lovely baskets and units before leaving the UK. They said that anything wicker would result in Australian Customs going through the entire container. We did bring an Elephants Foot Table (gross I know!). My husband acquired it in the early 70's before animal parts were embargoed and he got the appropriate CITES certification for it. We were expecting that to be trouble with Customs but they let it through with no hassle at all, probably because we had the correct paperwork for it and Pickfords made sure it was packed in the container so that when they inspected, it would be the first available box for them to open. They also opened a couple of boxes containing shoes/hiking boots which David scrubbed clean and disinfected with Jeyes Fluid and then wrapped and sealed in plastic after they were completely dry. The plastic had been ripped open but you could still smell the Jeyes slightly so they were happy with that. We ended up paying $96 duty on three bottles of champagne that we were given just prior to leaving the country and we had no additional customs charges other than the regular inspection fee (so we were happy with the $96 in the end!) Speak to your removers about wicker/cane etc., it is a very sticky subject although I think furniture would be treated more tolerantly than say, cane baskets etc.

Thanks everyone for your best wishes and although I don't contribute so often now to this site, I still read it and wish and hope everyone gets to live their dream.

Gill

Gill

Thanks very much for that useful email. Think I will have to leave the wicker units. Never mind. When I think of the other things I am leaving a few units are not important.

Best wishes Moira

Hi Moira

Give it a week before you make the final decision on the wicker, we have got our stuff going through customs etc at the moment and will be delivered to our new rental on the 25th. There are a reasonable number of wicker pieces in our stuff so will be able to report better after delivery.

regards

Hi Gill

Moira

Here is a list of things which you cannot take into Australia:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

With regard to customs disinfecting goods, others may be able to give more information (maybe post in the general immigration section) but I think it depends on the amount of time they have to spend. Normally they will give you a price first for disinfecting and also a price for destroying the goods.

Thank you for those emails. I will see how you get on with your wicker going through customs

Linday thank you for website details. One of the things that brought up for me is that as a homeopath I am taking quite a few remedies so I need to find out how I stand about that.

Moira

Hi Gill, thanks once again, your explanations wonderfully clear and sooooo helpful. I have copied and pasted to my "Oz folder" for when needed!

My two pennorth re wicker - was told by shippers - if its open weave it's no go - if its closed weave its o.k. Not really that helpfull, so I will probably not ship my lovely useful baskets etc, but I do have an old fashioned wicker sewing basket, which I will risk, as my Mum gave it to me many, many years ago and it seems to be a closed weave-ish! Oh well, can but keep one's fingers crossed - wing and a prayer!

Val x

Does anyone have experience of the current length of time it takes to get a Case Officer ?

As a UK resident I applied onshore for an 804 Visa last September and the Bridging Visa kicked in at the end of last November when my 3 month Visitors Visa expired.

Since then I have heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement of my written notification of a change of address.

Is a wait of six months or more typical?

Any information gratefully received,

Tony

EDIT Linday, Thanks for the suggestion below,

Tony

Edited by Aerotony

Does anyone have experience of the current length of time it takes to get a Case Officer ?

As a UK resident I applied onshore for an 804 Visa last September and the Bridging Visa kicked in at the end of last November when my 3 month Visitors Visa expired.

Since then I have heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement of my written notification of a change of address.

Is a wait of six months or more typical?

Any information gratefully received,

Tony

I am not sure that many people on this thread have experience of the 804 visa. There is a separate thread here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/131621-aged-parent-residence-visa-subclass-804-a-2.html

You could try posting your query there.

Good morning,

Just wanted to let you all know that we are having delays with the AOS. This has been the most frustrating part of the process so far. Our daughter went into Centrelink initially with all the correct documents etc and dutifully signed the forms. She was then given a date (2 weeks later) for a telephone interview. Two weeks later the phone call came to say that the person who'd carried out the initial checks had not done it correctly and the process had to be started again! That has been done and my daughter was told to expect a letter the following week. That was almost 3 weeks ago. After many days of trying to ring CL to check on this letter and the line being engaged, the call was answered today. Apparently we should never have been told that the letter would arrive in short time as there are lengthy delays and it will be at least 29th June before it is actioned. It's all so frustrating but at least we can see the finish line.

If you can get this process started, perhaps it is worth getting it underway. Still no CO, I'll post as soon as we get one although I see 2 below us on the tracker have theirs. Good luck everyone.

Kim

Good morning,

Just wanted to let you all know that we are having delays with the AOS. This has been the most frustrating part of the process so far. Our daughter went into Centrelink initially with all the correct documents etc and dutifully signed the forms. She was then given a date (2 weeks later) for a telephone interview. Two weeks later the phone call came to say that the person who'd carried out the initial checks had not done it correctly and the process had to be started again! That has been done and my daughter was told to expect a letter the following week. That was almost 3 weeks ago. After many days of trying to ring CL to check on this letter and the line being engaged, the call was answered today. Apparently we should never have been told that the letter would arrive in short time as there are lengthy delays and it will be at least 29th June before it is actioned. It's all so frustrating but at least we can see the finish line.

If you can get this process started, perhaps it is worth getting it underway. Still no CO, I'll post as soon as we get one although I see 2 below us on the tracker have theirs. Good luck everyone.

Kim

You are not alone with Centerlink problems, my lot submitted the AOS forms in early May, after three weeks had not heard anything, chased up and found that forms had been misdirected to the wrong department and would have to resubmit. Having done that they got the interview done but had two week wait for the forms to arrive in order to place the bond. It was at last lodged yesterday, how long before they inform Immigration is anybodys guess.

Hi all,

I too am having problems with Centrelink. I have had to email DIAC and ask for some extra time as my daughter's promised appointment letter has not materialised. She is in the Brisbane area. She also works full time and hasn't much opportunity to keep waiting for the phone to be answered. I think I will ask her to write a letter and post it through the door herself.

We should compile a list of the worst Centrelink offices and send it to the CPV Centre in Perth to see if they can intervene.

I can't wait for this whole process to be over - never done anything as stressful and costly in my life!

Roll on wine o' clock!

Regards, Val x

To John and Eirian - aha! you are now on the "special" list of Visa grantees - you are on Australian soil now, methinks!!!! I wish you and your family a wonderful future and everything that being together means to us all. I hope that you do not forget us (and from time to time could write some precious words of wisdom, (perhaps on a wet Sunday afternoon!) and offer encouragement and inspiration by way of an update, to those of us still waiting! I woke at 5 a.m. this morning and was convinced that today could be the day I received "the email" from DIAC - the excitement was bubbling until I got up and checked - NO.....not today....but perhaps tomorrow......I live in hope!!!

All the very best

Val x

You are not alone with Centerlink problems, my lot submitted the AOS forms in early May, after three weeks had not heard anything, chased up and found that forms had been misdirected to the wrong department and would have to resubmit. Having done that they got the interview done but had two week wait for the forms to arrive in order to place the bond. It was at last lodged yesterday, how long before they inform Immigration is anybodys guess.

Thanks for posting, in some strange way it makes me feel better that we are not alone with this. Although to be fair, sorry to hear how much messing around you have had too. :mad:

Hi all,

I too am having problems with Centrelink. I have had to email DIAC and ask for some extra time as my daughter's promised appointment letter has not materialised. She is in the Brisbane area. She also works full time and hasn't much opportunity to keep waiting for the phone to be answered. I think I will ask her to write a letter and post it through the door herself.

We should compile a list of the worst Centrelink offices and send it to the CPV Centre in Perth to see if they can intervene.

I can't wait for this whole process to be over - never done anything as stressful and costly in my life!

Roll on wine o' clock!

Regards, Val x

Hey Val,

Great idea but perhaps the Centrelink list would be a long one! I don't want to breath in the wrong way just in case it delays the process any further. I too get out of bed every day to check whether there is any news or if the tracker has been updated. This can't be healthy! In addition my OH retires from the Army in August and our entitlement to live in this house ceases. We are hoping that everything ties up so we can pack up and fly to Australia without having to 'squat' as illegal occupants!

Good luck and stay strong. I'd join you with the wine but am trying to get as fit as possible just in case for any unpredictable reason we have our meds referred. No news is good news o that one!

Kim :biggrin:

12 months after our application was acknowledged there is now some activity. Received an email on Saturday morning to say that we will be allocated a CO in the next few months and to arrange for our medicals and Police checks. They also asked for our sponsor to contact Centrelink. Figures crossed we don't have the same problems as others have recently experienced with Centrelink!

Anyway good luck to everyone! Angie

G'Day all

Another Centrelink story: After changing appointment time, our S-I-L turned up to be told the date/time had been changed again. Protesting that he was the only "customer" in an office full of Centrelink employees, he was told that they had to do it by the book – ie, at the time appointed! Time, petrol, etc, etc wasted.

Sounds a bit familiar – in fact, very like UK bureaucracy!

Mike

Edited by MikenSueNW3

Centrelink sounds horrendous!

We are right at the beginning of this process, trying to work out whether we can afford to do it. One of the things that worries me is the cost of medical insurance during the two years before we can (if I have understood properly) get medicaire. Any advice?

Kath

Centrelink sounds horrendous!

We are right at the beginning of this process, trying to work out whether we can afford to do it. One of the things that worries me is the cost of medical insurance during the two years before we can (if I have understood properly) get medicaire. Any advice?

Kath

G'day Kath

Correction – you become eligible for full Medicare benefits immediately you become permanent residents – whether "temporarily permanent" with a 173 visa, or "permanently permanent" with a 143. What you have to wait for is the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, which gives subsidized prescriptions. And if you visit Oz in the meantime on a tourist visa, you are covered by Medicare for "necessary and immediate" treatments – ie, GP visits and emergency treatment. (But remember that, unless the GP does "bulk (direct) billing" there will be a gap that you have to cover – maybe $20 or 30 per visit.)

But to answer your specific question, if you want to take out private medical insurance (as many Aussies do – though it gives you no more than Medicare for routine GP consultations), then so long as you sign on within a year of becoming permanent residents, then the premium is pegged permanently at the rate for 30-year-olds. Ie, there is no age-weighting, only the normal annual inflation increase. This gives a very significant saving. In our case, the premium (for the two of us) is currently about $380 a month for top-rate cover (including optical, dental, physio, etc); this is with BUPA (formerly MBF). We plan to do a bit more comparison research when we get back to Oz.

Mike & Sue

12 months after our application was acknowledged there is now some activity. Received an email on Saturday morning to say that we will be allocated a CO in the next few months and to arrange for our medicals and Police checks. They also asked for our sponsor to contact Centrelink. Figures crossed we don't have the same problems as others have recently experienced with Centrelink!

Anyway good luck to everyone! Angie

Hi Angie, They must be doing things differently at DIAC now. When we were asked to get our medicals done and our police certificates last September the letter was actually from our CO and we had our visa granted a few weeks later. Maybe this new system saves all the rushing around like headless chickens later on. Certainly, for us, getting an appointment for the medicals took some time. At least you can be a bit more leisurely doing it this way. Good luck with it all!

Val x

Hi again,

My agent has suggested that once my daughter has a copy of the confirmation of deposit from the Commonwealth Bank, it can be scanned and emailed to Immigration to speed up the process. Perhaps this is worth a try for you too. It might circumvent the wait with CL.

Kim