Guest SophieB

family health issues for 5 week validation trip

Guest SophieB

Hi there,

I'm taking my family, including a 3 and 5 year old, to Sydney for a 5 week validation trip in April. We will obviously all get travel insurance for the trip but I wondered what the procedure was if you need to visit a GP? (are they called GP's in Oz?). Knowing my kids, we're more than likely to need to visit a doctor during a 5 week trip!

Is it just a case of visiting the nearest doctors practice to where we're staying and registering with them? I assume it is different being a permanent resident, than it would be if you were a holidaymaker without a visa???? or is it?? :wacko:

Should we register for medicare as soon as we are there, do you think? or would a doctor see us, charge us and we claim it back? (in my limited expeience this is a dangerous process whereby you need strict prior permission to be seen by your insurance agent or else your claim is invalid).

I'm a bit at sea with this one, I don't know much about healthcare and insurance so any basic advice would be appreciated x

Thank you!!! Sophie

Hi, yes claiming back on medical insurance can be problematic I guess.

There are reciprocal arrangements between the UK & Australia so I'm pretty sure any emergency treatment will be covered.

However, a trip to the local GP won't be covered. As British citizens, you are entitled to a medicare card. To get one, you need to go into a medicare office with your passport. This will then entitle you to free or subsidised medical care, so I would do it as soon as you arrive.

You don't need to register with a doctor as soon as you arrive, you can go to any GP. However if the need arises, look for one which "Bulk Bills". This basically means the surgery bulk bills the Govt so its free to you. In surgeries where there's no bulk billing, you have to pay up front & then claim part of the cost back through medicare. Kids are bulk billed more frequently than adults. Prescription charges have to be paid & that depends on the type of medication.......the pharmacist should tell you if its cheaper to buy over the counter like they do in the UK.

Guest SophieB

Brilliant, that answers it all in one concise post!!! I congratulate you!!!

Hi, yes claiming back on medical insurance can be problematic I guess.

There are reciprocal arrangements between the UK & Australia so I'm pretty sure any emergency treatment will be covered.

However, a trip to the local GP won't be covered. As British citizens, you are entitled to a medicare card. To get one, you need to go into a medicare office with your passport. This will then entitle you to free or subsidised medical care, so I would do it as soon as you arrive.

You don't need to register with a doctor as soon as you arrive, you can go to any GP. However if the need arises, look for one which "Bulk Bills". This basically means the surgery bulk bills the Govt so its free to you. In surgeries where there's no bulk billing, you have to pay up front & then claim part of the cost back through medicare. Kids are bulk billed more frequently than adults. Prescription charges have to be paid & that depends on the type of medication.......the pharmacist should tell you if its cheaper to buy over the counter like they do in the UK.

Note that I think a trip to the GP is covered by the reciprocal agreement - because of the reciprocal agreement you are entitled to a medicare card which allows you to claim for GP visits.

Validation trip or not you will be considered as a resident as soon as you enter Australia, so get to the medicare office and apply for cards for all of you, they should be able to give you any advice from there.

We are validating in September and I plan to get my partner everything I can as if she was staying, Medicare card, driving licence etc

Flights booked for Sydney 29/09/2015 :cool:

Note that I think a trip to the GP is covered by the reciprocal agreement - because of the reciprocal agreement you are entitled to a medicare card which allows you to claim for GP visits.

Yes its covered if you have a medicare card. If you don't get a card then you will have to pay.:err: