Use 485 or bridging B to leave Oz

Guest benluo

Hi all,

I had my 485 visa granted and already applied for 885 3 months ago. As I need to leave Oz for 1 month to go back my country to visit my family. I quite confuse as a friend of mine told me I just use my 485 to leave Oz due to this visa let me Multiple entries to and from Australia during the validity of my visa. On the other hand I've been told that I should go DIAC to get a bridging B.

I really don't know which way I should go !

Thank you for your help

Hi Ben

Currently you hold the 485 visa and a Bridging Visa A in relation to your 885 visa application. The Bridging Visa A is not in effect and is only there to keep you lawful should your 885 visa not be decided by the time your 18 month 485 visa expires. Also, the bridging Visa A ceases when yo udepart Australia.

So you have 2 choices:

1 - pay for and apply for a BVB (that will not be in effect) but when you arrive back on your 485 visa, the bridging B will not have ceased and will keep you lawful if your 885 is not decided before your 485 expires - just like the Bridging A visa would have if you had not departed Australia.

2- leave and re-enter on the 485 and then re-apply for the BVA on your return, or some time before the 485 expires - for free.

I think option 2 wins due to it being free.

Regards

Archived