Advise on Daughter now wanting to come

Guest Midlanders

Guest Midlanders

Hi All

Well my daughter has come back home after breaking up with her long time partner and now has decided she wants to make a new start in OZ once we our granted our 176 visa. (hopefully this century lol)

So do you have any suggestions on which visa will be the best. My personal views on this is that she could apply for a 12 month holiday working visa as a first point as she is still under 30 (now 24), but she is worried what happens after 12 months.

I know she can apply onshore for a family visa, but I dont know how long this takes or the cost or is this the next best thing to do for stage 2??????

Any ideas greatfully received - I would rather not get our agents involved with her process due their cost's, especially she is still in full time education after completing her law degree and now doing her Bar Degree and she still being subied by the bank of mom and step dad.

God dam kids - if she only just signed our visa forms last year .......then we would have non of this now!!!!!!

Judy & Darren :arghh:

Guest AngieinBrisbane

She could definitely do the Working Holiday Visa... its cheap and pretty much guaranteed. The work restrictions attached to it (you can only work 6 mths with one employer) can be frustrating if shes looking to settle in once place as this visa is designed for someone to keep on moving.

You say she is still studying -- No chance you can fork out the cash for her to study a year in Oz? If she were to do a year (or two) on a student visa she could then switch to the Working Holiday Visa for another year plus she can earn a 2nd working holiday visa by doing regional work for 3 months (Which isn't always as bad as some say if you look in advance for work). She would still have to deal with the 6 month rule but at least if she were here 3-4 years already you guys might have your permanent residency and you could then be her sponser for a family visa.

I hope this helps.

Guest mikewheble

Hi,

Kids, tut...tell me about them. I'm waiting for a 475 visa and my middle bin lid has said that he doesnt want to come to Oz. He is 18 and on my visa but now wants to do his Uni in the UK prior to moving over. Little Monkey!!!

My other son is 22 and off to Oz in Feb for 12 month working visa. He is basically chilling out for a month (his words) and then will do 3 months on a regional/land programme such as Woof WWOOF Australia Basically if he does 3 months in this programme, at the end of his 12 months working visa he is the guaranteed a further 12 months working visa. The plan is that he will try and find a sponsor in this time. If he cant find a sponsor then he will have to come back to the UK for 6/12 months in which time, we will hopefully have our 475, served 2 years and got our PR in which case we can sposor him.

I suspect your daughter like my son has two things on their side, the first being qualifications/degree and the second being age.

Hope this helps?

Good luck

Regards

Mike

Guest mikewheble
I am confused! How can you sponsor him/her if they have no skills that Australia needs?

JOHN

Last remaining relative...that's only if they are.

Regards

Mike

Guest Midlanders

Hi im now confused lol doesnt take much......

My daughter is my only child and which i have disclosed on our 175 visa but as a non emigrating dependant as she didnt want to come when we lodged, so does this make her my last remaining relative as my parents, brother and sister are also still alive but also not moving over???? also can we not apply for a family sponsorship visa until we have lived in Oz for 2 years as perm residents minimum as she wont be coming over until 1 month after we leave for oz.????

Cheers

Judy

Either way as it stands at the mo, she has a degree in law and doing her bar degree and as I understand Lawyers and Barrister are on their skills list.

Guest mikewheble

Hi,

Gosh, I seemed to have confused everyone.

Ok, if your daughter does the first year on working visa, does three months in regional/land and then gets another year on a working visa then that will take you to two+ years. In this time you will hopefully get your PR in which case you can sponsor your daughter for Remaining Relative

Remaining Relative states:

"You must have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is settled and usually resident in Australia and is one of the following:

• an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

You and your partner (in this case, your daughter) cannot have any other brothers, sisters, parents (or step equivalents), or non-dependent children other than those who are usually resident in Australia and are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens"

I am sure there are a load of other criteria but basically if the family unit is in Oz and you can sponsor then this will be an option.

The web link is Remaining Relative Visa (Onshore) (Subclass 835)

Hope this helps and sorry for the confussion.

Regards

Mike

Guest Letasha

Hi Im not sure I follow but will your daughter be able to complete her studies over there with it being a different jurisdiction? Also, are lawyers on the SOL? I thought with law studies being a different variant to UK law it wd be really hard for your daughter to find work over there without more studies?

Sorry dont want to be negative just looking at every avenue on a long term basis for your daughter.

Kind regards

I did law in the uk, moved over to OZ almost 2 years ago and my qualifications mean diddly aquat unfortuantely:-( Your daughter would defo gain some credits, but would basically have to redo most everything. If I were her, I would take a good hard look and decide if it's worth it. I know how hard it is gettiing a law degree and for it to mean nothing. If law is the career she definately wants, then she will have to stay in the UK if she wants to practice it.. Sorry for the downer post..

Archived