Motorbike ya or na

touch107fm

Right I have being trying to decided ''should I bring over my Sv 650'' I love this bike but I was prepared to sell it before I move to Oz in March.

Plan was to buy a bike up to the value of

$10 000

The thing is I will probably need 2 bikes one for doing everyday stuff like going to work and then I want one for the weekend rides..

I was thinking of shipping my sv over and using it as my work horse and then buying something like a R6 in a few months.

My Sv 650 2005 is worth about £1800 only 16 000 on the clock

Now I being doing the maths with the exchange rate being so rubbish $1.78 to the pound

I would be much better off shipping my Sv out to OZ

I am aware it will probably cost

500 pound shipping

another

500 pounds in taxes + other services

$600 dollars to get rego for the year

So over all about £1300 tops to get my bike shipped and on the road for a year.

As I said I have being on loads of Ozzie site for bike and I will just will not get the same value for money than I will by bring over my sv.

Has anyone on this site actually done it resently. I know most are all for just buying one over in Australia but I would love to hear from someone who actually shipped there bike over.

Any Ideas...

I actually bought my bike here in Australia before I came over from Holland, and collected it 3 days after arriving, but that was because they didnt sell this particular bike as a standard bike in Europe, and I was looking to upgrade anyway at the time.

I know quite a few that have brought standard bikes, and also quite a few with heavily modified choppers/cruiser etc.

Looking at what you are saying, I would bring your bike with you. The second hand market is quite expesive for bikes & cars, and for what it will cost to import it & register it, you will save about $2000. If it has been modified in any way, it can sometimes create issues, but in general its not too difficult.

Because I have only read other peoples experiences, I haven't really delved into the problems that can arise. I'll check out a few forums, and see if I find a link for you.

I had a quick look and an 04 with low k's is worth about $6000/$6500, but on the otherhand, a brand new 09 model with on onroad & rego is only $8990.

2009 SUZUKI SV650 - bikepoint.com.au 604 1430 1429 4294967268 4294966919&silo=1400

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/importguidePrivOwnMV.pdf

Nicked this link from the other motorbike thread.

This will give you some info if you havent already seen it.

Just thought of something a bit random, all Oz lids have a sticker to say that they are Australian approved, so you can have issues (and get fined of course)if you get stopped and they check your lid. Doesnt happen very often, but it can.

Found a couple of threads worth reading on "ahem" other expat sites :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479975

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482104&highlight=ducati

[ATTACH]1488[/ATTACH]

Thanks Guys,

I am 99%sure I am going to take it. Its makes no sense not to. I going on a 457 visa so I should be Ok.

One of the main reason I going to keep the bike is 3 days ago I had a guy from Poland come around and look at the bike hoping to buy it.

In the 2 year I have had the bike it has never given me any problems at all.

The morning in question about 1 hour before the guy came over and the bike would not start. Tried everything Nothing!!!!!!

The guy from Poland was planning on shipping the bike to Poland, Next morning went to start the bike .....

Started up like a bat out of hell. No problems at all....

Its as if the bike knew. I know its only a bike but I got a lot of history with that bike.

I think its earned it right to travel with me around the world.

If I do ship it I will keep you guys updated how the process goes.

D

Ok my research has got me this far. I may be wrong so please correct me.

£500 to ship approx bike

$800 approx dollars GST if I went on the same value of the same bike on

Used Motorcycles For Sale - Buy and Sell Used Motorcycles Australia - bikesales.com.au

clearance fee's of about £290

$275 to cover the cost of Quarantine examination

Modifier who will do an MOT (safety check costs about $40)

stamp duty 2% of the value of the bike $160

If qustoms deem the bike to be dirty they will add another $400 dollars

Dollars added up around 1700

1,700.00 AUD

=

949.776 GBP

UK pounds around

£775

In total £1700

Is this correct.. If so I think I may have to consider just buying a bike when I get there.

Archived