You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bobbsy

Phone/Broadband Providers

Right. It might be time for another one of "those" topics. My generalised frustration with and hatred of Telstra is reaching fever pitch and my 2 year contract is now up.

Does anyone have a provider of landlines and broadband that they're actually happy with? Obviously, the main alternative is Optus and, from some Googling, they don't seem to fair much better in the popularity stakes.

FYI, we can look at various ways of contracting and bundling, but need a single landline phone plus good broadband--presently we have ADSL2 (20 meg though we never get close to that) and a 25gig monthly limit. I realise that the actual wires to my house are unlikely to change but I'd love to find somebody who will listen when I say the Telstra socket crackles loudly on phone calls and drops my ADSL any time the cord plugged into it moves even slightly.

I'd go back to standing on my roof with semaphore flags to cancel Telstra--but I can't get sufficient data throughput for PIO that way...

Bob

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Right. It might be time for another one of "those" topics. My generalised frustration with and hatred of Telstra is reaching fever pitch and my 2 year contract is now up.

Does anyone have a provider of landlines and broadband that they're actually happy with? Obviously, the main alternative is Optus and, from some Googling, they don't seem to fair much better in the popularity stakes.

FYI, we can look at various ways of contracting and bundling, but need a single landline phone plus good broadband--presently we have ADSL2 (20 meg though we never get close to that) and a 25gig monthly limit. I realise that the actual wires to my house are unlikely to change but I'd love to find somebody who will listen when I say the Telstra socket crackles loudly on phone calls and drops my ADSL any time the cord plugged into it moves even slightly.

I'd go back to standing on my roof with semaphore flags to cancel Telstra--but I can't get sufficient data throughput for PIO that way...

Bob

I will never use Telstra, I would rather use some tin cans with string than Telstra.

I have been with Optus for a long time, and never a problem. I have 30gig a month which I always use, plus local,national and calls to mobiles, costs $129 per month which I am very happy with. I believe you can pay another $5 per month and have International to UK etc for 5cents per minute.

Hopes this helps

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates 1981

I second the suggestion to look at the whirlpool forums, they have the lowdown on everything broadband and phonewise.

Thanks to both of you for the Whirlpool forum link...very useful already! And thanks also for the personal recommendation for Optus...personal experiences are always more valid than posts on the net.

Bob

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker