Teaching australia skills assessments turned down due to 16+ PGCE

Guest lucadoyle

Guest lucadoyle

thanks for your reply pip... won't be doing any study now as I couldn't afford it. This only way in is to go state sponsered route unless my wife can get a job directly and then get sponsered from employer. She was looking at topping up her PGCE so she could teach 12 -18 year olds but teaching australia say she has to do a PGCE again full time which seems a bit unfair. Will also look into what agencies can do for us and see what visas we can apply for. Other option is for me to retrain in the UK in something Australia need but in 3 years time it'll probably all be different! We'll slog on.... thanks for all your replys again...

Guest littlesarah
Also Sarah when applying for a visa using the lecturing skill it states that you need a PHD and then the relevent experience? Are you on a working visa there? Many thanks

I obtained a 175 (independent skilled visa) using my primary occupation of podiatrist. I never intended to do anything other than clinical podiatry, but an opportunity to work as a clinical supervisor for the uni came along, & that then turned into a lecturing post (I happened to be there & was happy to take a temporary position).

Ideally, uni lecturers should have PhDs; however there are relatively few podiatrists with PhDs (especially if unis want podiatrists who have a solid understanding of clinical reasoning and methods). So someone like me may be offered a job, with a probationary period in which to obtain a higher degree. I maybe should have said nothing, as I don't know what is needed to become involved in working in the teaching programme.

I don't know what the situation for teachers is like, but the visa process rarely seems to favour applicants unless the skill in question is in dire shortage.

I really hope you find a way through the complexities of the System - it's hard just to understand the rules, never mind figure out how they apply to you!

Best wishes

Sarah

• 6 years later...

Hi Pippa,

Thanks for alll your information. I know that some of this has changed in the last few years but I am in the same boat as Lucas wife, except I teach Art so not much chance of any jobs there. I was just wondering how you got your job at TAFE? Did you have to get VETassessed before you applied? Thanks x

Archived