Teaching australia skills assessments turned down due to 16+ PGCE

Guest lucadoyle

Guest lucadoyle

:sad:

My wife recently had her teaching skills assesment back from teaching australia which came back unsuccessful. She was being assessed as a Secondary school teacher. She has been working in FE colleges (16+ years age group) for over 10 years now and is more than capable of teaching in secondary schools. She has a degree and Masters degree in her subject but the problem is that in Australia the secondary school years run from 12 - 18 and in the UK its 12 - 16. As my wife teaches 16 -18 year olds we thought she would fit into this category and have been told by various agencies that this would be fine. Teaching Australia didn't accept this because she completed her PGCE fulltime based on 16+ students.

Is the only way round this for her to give up her 40k a year job to do another PGCE based on 12-18 or do a PHD and then get 3 years experience in a Uni? It seems like all people who have done this PGCE and have many years expereince are being turned away because it doesn't quite fit into the Australian education system. Surely there is something she can do in the evenings to enable her as qualified without doing a fulltime year course. PLEASE PLEASE help we are so deflated by this and are desperate to take our 1 year old daughter and 5 year old son to Australia. Is there anyone who has had the same issue or does anyone know how to get around this? Many many thanks for reading and any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Jack & Laura

Depends what she is teaching, if its maths and science there is a shortage, if its other subjects no shortage from Australian sources. My daughter is a secondary school teacher and she does not have a job because what she teaches is years 11 and 12 and there is no shortage in her subject and her degrees are Australian degrees.

My son on the other hand did a science degree and post grad teaching and he teaches maths and science and has two things going for him, he is male, he teaches maths and science. They are trying to attract more male teachers into the system as its down by the head with women and they think that its not a good thing.

After Aus had the teacher shortage they increased the places in university for teachers and these are just starting to come through.

If your wife could be sponsored by a private school that would be a good way to go. Also experienced teachers get more money and schools all have their own budget so your wife may be too dear. Her income as a teacher in UK would be more than she would earn here as a new teacher.

Guest lucadoyle

Many thanks for your quick reply. She is teaching performing arts but her training is in English/Performing arts. To be honest we just want to get a Visa first and worry about jobs later but because of Teaching Australia criteria (which I can understand) they won't class her as a secondary school teacher. She doesn't fit into any other jobs on the SOL as its either Primary school\ Secondary School, or University Lecturer. It just seems strange that a teacher with all her experience doesn't fit into any teaching criteria in Australia and really wanted to know if there was a way round this without having to do a PGCE again. We arn't even bothered about what she gets paid when she gets there either. We just want to get to Australia! Many thanks for your reply... we will look at private schools\colleges for sponsership visas etc but they don't seem to come up very often and are probably taken more by local people if they are capable of doing the job.

Jack & Laura

Hi

Your wife would get a skills assmt through Vetassess as a vocational teacher (non trades) but unfortunately that puts you at the bottom of the priority pile :(

I work at TAFE and also looked into getting a secondary school teacher assessment to get a CSL occupation. I have teaching registration from Qld and actually teach year 11/12 students at TAFE as part of vet in schools program, but I do not meet their criteria, even though I can work in a secondary school!

Good luck with it all x

Guest lucadoyle

Thanks Pippa for your replys. Stupidly enough we have never looked at this route because agencies have always said that we have to go the secondary school route. Even if my wife did get the skills assessed by Vetasses and they where successful, does being at the bottom of the pile mean maybe never getting a visa or will it definately be granted but just much slower? You have given us a bit of hope again. We now need to find a state that is accepting that occupation as we would never get in on a 175 (skilled migrant visa) as we would only get 105 points. I'm going to get searching now!!! I don't care where we go for the first 2 years as long as we can get there! Many thanks again.

Fingers crossed for you!

I am an onshore applicant in Qld and can't get any state sponsorship from them :( I haven't really looked into other states as I have a job at TAFE here, family close by and really don't want to move anywhere else. Therefore, I will just have to sit and wait at the bottom of the processing pile.

You could, as a very last resort consider studying in Oz .... (very, very, last ,risky, no other way resort!!)

Good luck with it all x

We now need to find a state that is accepting that occupation

ACT are sponsoring Vocational Ed teachers (I have recently got it). However, when I applied, they were specifying Language, literacy and numeracy teachers (which is what I do in FE). Now, however, they are specifying IT and trades. It may still be worth a try though. I haven't looked recently, but they were the only state with it on their list.

I'm surprised at someone telling you that your wife will be able to be assessed as a Secondary school teacher though. It would be the same in this country. I have a PGCE in FE, but would not technically be qualified to teach in a Secondary school (even though I teach excluded 14-16 year olds that the schools can't handle!) Sorry, quick rant there.

I haven't looked into it for sometime, but I think there used to be some fast track conversion course from FE to Secondary PGCE. If I remember rightly, the FE qual does not transfer into Secondary because of the lack of focus on National Curriculum subjects.

Just had a quick look at TES and found this:

Conversion/top up for Further Education PGCE (QTLS) to PGCE (QTS) recognised - FE - General - TES Connect

Don't know if it's much use, haven't read it all. Be careful with the GTP though. Several years ago, I was accepted on a GTP scheme with the intention of using it to get to Australia. Again, I don't know if this is still the same, but then, it wasn't recognised in Australia. I only found that out via a forum and I was eternally grateful to the person who mentioned it.

Anyway, good luck!

Guest lucadoyle

Many thanks for your replys. Its really great that people take the time to answer these threads as it is really helpful. I shall hopefully be able to help out when\if we get there! Thanks again...

Jack and Laura

Guest lucadoyle

I have found that the Northern Territory list has Vocational Ed teacher on it and it doesn't state any specific subject or trade non trade.

Does this mean it is for evey subject?

Vocational Education Teacher D-BE 2422-11 242211

Many thanks again.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about NT. I emailed them to ask them a question about applying for SS (when I wasn't sure if I would get it from ACT). They didn't even reply for 9 weeks. The staff in Canberra are great and really helpful if you need to contact them.

I think if it doesn't specify a subject (like ACT did), then (theoretically) it should mean every subject.

Guest lucadoyle

Hello again Lavender776, many thanks again for your kind replies. Last question (hopefully!) My wife has taught key skills in English and has a combined humanities degree in English\Drama, and PGCE is same as yours but has predominately been teaching performing arts. As she has been teaching key skills English as well do you think this would apply to Teacher – Vocational Education

2422-11

Language / literacy and numeracy practitioners / trades

in the Canbera area ? Also how long did it take for you to get your visa from start to finish?

Thanks again

Jack & Laura

Hello again Lavender776, many thanks again for your kind replies. Last question (hopefully!) My wife has taught key skills in English and has a combined humanities degree in English\Drama, and PGCE is same as yours but has predominately been teaching performing arts. As she has been teaching key skills English as well do you think this would apply to Teacher – Vocational Education

2422-11

in the Canbera area ? Also how long did it take for you to get your visa from start to finish?

Thanks again

Jack & Laura

I would think that might be a bit of a long bow for voc ed - much more trade/skills oriented Check out National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd. for voc ed stuff

One option, which I guess is a last resort, is that she could study a Graduate Diploma in Secondary Teaching in Australia which would qualify her to teach a subject/s that she has a major or degree in. It only goes for one year, so it wouldn't be too bad. Most universities that offer teaching have this program. The only thing I'm thinking is that jobs-wise, drama and English teaching would be somewhat competitive as teaching is often a route that graduates in arts/humanities areas go for after not being able to find a job in the area they studied. That's not to say it's impossible, but just thought I'd mention that.

2422-11

Thanks again

Jack & Laura

Aaaah Key Skills! The bane of my life. Forever teaching students who don't want to have anything to do with Maths or English! Yes, Key Skills would probably come under it. That's part of what I do. Even though they are not specifying LLN anymore, it still may be worth a try. It wasn't a long shot (when I applied) as that was exactly the subject area they were after (until recently). As your wife will know, Vocational students often need to improve their English (god knows our local students do). However, as you said, you've also got the option of NT.

Unfortunately, I am nowhere near getting the visa yet. I only received SS in December of last year, so have only recently applied for a visa. As you probably know, 3 years is being quoted.

Guest littlesarah

I don't know how it works for teaching, but if your wife has a Masters Degree, maybe she could consider working at a university? I have recently started work as a lecturer, the main requirements of which were that I have a higher qualification than the students I teach.

I don't know how competitive it is in humanities/arts, I would guess more so than for people like me in Health Sciences; but I know that my employer has sponsored overseas nationals in the past (& I figure that it would be commonplace in the world of academia). Maybe your wife could get on the websites of the various universities around the country to see if her area of expertise is in demand?

Good luck

Sarah

Guest lucadoyle

Something im not quite understanding (need to look further into it as not looked at state sponsership before) is how are you working there. Have you got a working visa and then applied for an onshore state sponsership visa? Can you work in Aus while you wait for your visa for 3 years?

Thanks again.

Guest lucadoyle

Also Sarah when applying for a visa using the lecturing skill it states that you need a PHD and then the relevent experience? Are you on a working visa there? Many thanks

Guest VickyMel

If you have no joy with a SS visa it might be worth trawling through the Universities/Technicons/TAFE institutes and trying to get in with a job.

They may have jobs on offer and if so many of the Institutions are set up to bring you in on the Employer Sponsorship Visas - although this may not be the case for all of them.

List of Colleges in Australia

Australian Universities

TAFE institutes list | Study in Australia. Study Abroad with Studies in Australia

I would say try for the SS PR visa first as you get the PR Visa. It is probably more likely that a job would come with a temp ENS visa first - but maybe take a look at some of these sites just in case it is an option.

Guest lucadoyle

Can anyone confirm that if I was to study in Australia towards a degree (as I don't have one and wouldn't mind getting one) that my wife could work full time instead of 20 hours a week? Also with the study visa (sublass 573 i think) what rights to my children have for schooling etc? Would I have to pay for private schooling? I can understand paying for health care but does anyone know what else I would have to pay for? Many thanks in advance

Something im not quite understanding (need to look further into it as not looked at state sponsership before) is how are you working there. Have you got a working visa and then applied for an onshore state sponsership visa? Can you work in Aus while you wait for your visa for 3 years?

Thanks again.

Hi Luca

I'm not in Australia. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck in damp and grey England. Sorry, did I make it sound as if I was already there? I wish!

Guest cherise

Hi there Lucadoyle,

Im here in Australia as a Dependant onmy husbands student visa, my husband doing the studying at Tafe - I am a qualified Primary school Teacher, we have applied for an offshore state sponsored 176 visa in feb 2009 with my skill. As far as I know ( with regards to if you study towards your degree your wife having unlimited working hours )- If you do your masters or post grad studies your partner has unlimited working hours, I have to work within the 20 hours of work a week which is really tough, but I do relief teaching and its good pay so yeah we survive, I wont lie to you though its really tough we feel like throwing the towel in so often it not even funny.

We have a case officer now for our case so we got some hope that things may work out so yeah.... hope my lil bit of info helps.

Good luck!!!!

Hi there

If you go over on 573 visa, you have to pay full international school fees for your children at school. This does vary state to state, in QLD it is $8000pa for primary school age child at state school. This is also payable on bridging visa, but if after your studies you apply for 485 graduate visa, they are no longer payable. Your wife can only work 20 hours a week for the duration of your studies and until you go onto a Bridging visa.

What are you thinking of studying?

Make sure you do your homework before embarking on the study route, as it is not easy and the government are making it increasingly difficult for graduates to apply for PR after their studies.

Hope this helps

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Archived