Sign in to follow this  
Guest willy720

4 years on subclass 309 and not allowed NSW driving License

Guest willy720

Hi,

Hope some one can help, was granted subclass 309 provisonal residence visa in oct 2006 have been living in Sydney since April 2007 due to something going wrong at IMMI they never sent me out the details for my second stage visa application after a year and 1/2 of phone calls eventually got response today saying will send out letter to commence permenant residency visa. I am married to an Aussie, i own my house here yet due to slowness of immigration I am still only considered temp resident. No problems until now when went to get NSW driving license which i need for work and said that even though i have lived here for 3 years I have been out of the country in last 6 months so can not issue visitors with a NSW license. It seems crazy as i have to have a NSW license for work but cant wait another 6 months and anyway will have to leave the country for a holiday in the next 6 months so basically it seems iam screwed until my permenant residency is granted which will prob take another 10 months. Anyone any ideas or help i would be immensley grateful. :wacko:

Guest Woodmill

Do you have to tell them you are temporary? In WA (we're here on student visas) we just went in with our id, filled in a form, did a quick eye test and 4 days later we had WA licences.

In NSW you have to stay in the country for 6 months without leaving the country. After 6 months you don't have to get a NSW licence. I have been here since june and don't get to the 2nd stage until April. Until then I can stay on my UK licence. As I have HGV class 1 on my UK one, I don't want get an NSW one as I will loose my HGV entitlement. Not much you can do I'm afraid mate