Financial Assistance for Mature Students?

sykestykes

Hi there

We have Permanent Residency in Australia, and have been here almost a year. Because I haven't yet found work, I really would like to do a further education course to try and improve my chances of finding work.

However - and here's the Catch 22 - because I'm not working we don't have a huge amount of disposable income to spend on course fees. I've had a quick look at the Centrelink website and I won't qualify for Austudy assistance for another year yet.

Does anyone know of any other ways of getting access to help fund my studies? I would be really grateful for any information.

Thanks

Sue x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sue

The only other help I know is if you have a Health Care Card you can usually get a huge reduction in fees (depending on the course). I have seen course fees reduced from thousands to $95 for families who have had a HCC.

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for your reply. Sadly, I don't have one of those :cry:

I'm feeling really frustrated because without a job, I haven't got any money to pay the fees and without training, I'm likely to be stuck at home with no prospect of a job...feel like I'm going round in circles - :arghh:

Thanks again

Sue x

I would suggest that you visit Centre Link physically or call them and ask them to give you the contact details of local employment services. These service providers can then inform you of employment training opportunities that you may be eligible for, etc. etc. That is what they are there for :)

hi sue :hug: ....i agree that being stuck at home day after day can ware u down and without funds to do major retraining then u probably feel like theres no hope lol ....dont know what sort of thing u want to do ....but what about doing some little cleaning jobs in ur area ...just to get the funds u need ..its amazing what the aussies will pay for lol ...or u could do some volunteering work in some kind of care enviroment eg elderly and once u are in the door and they see how good u are [hopefully ] lol then they may put u through ur qualifications ...just a couple of ideas that u may have already considered ...or not .... lol ....keep ur chin up ....wheres theres a will theres a way :yes:

julie x

hi sue :hug: ....i agree that being stuck at home day after day can ware u down and without funds to do major retraining then u probably feel like theres no hope lol ....dont know what sort of thing u want to do ....but what about doing some little cleaning jobs in ur area ...just to get the funds u need ..its amazing what the aussies will pay for lol ...or u could do some volunteering work in some kind of care enviroment eg elderly and once u are in the door and they see how good u are [hopefully ] lol then they may put u through ur qualifications ...just a couple of ideas that u may have already considered ...or not .... lol ....keep ur chin up ....wheres theres a will theres a way :yes:

julie x

Ah thanks for the hugs Julie, much appreciated!!

I do a little cleaning job already for my friend (without it I would go insane, lol) and I foster a little dog for the local Dogs Home too, to take up a bit more time...I would like to do a Diploma in Beauty after I've first done a Cert IV in Beauty because I'd like to be able to do a job that would fit round school hours in the long run. Hope you have fun with your mum when she comes over by the way :) :wubclub:

Thanks to all for your suggestions, you are stars.

Sue x

There are programs to support women who want to return to the workforce but I have a feeling they may be state based. It would definitely be worth a call to TAFE to see whether they know of any support (you can ask for the student welfare area, they should be on the ball)

We have a local area email network called Community Development Network and there are often advertisements for community based courses and a lot of them are focussed on women in the workforce. I dont know quite who you could ask in Qld but you may have a Womens Information and Referral service which would be able to put you on the right track.

This is one of those times where being a woman has its advantages, especially if you are a mature woman!

There are programs to support women who want to return to the workforce but I have a feeling they may be state based. It would definitely be worth a call to TAFE to see whether they know of any support (you can ask for the student welfare area, they should be on the ball)

We have a local area email network called Community Development Network and there are often advertisements for community based courses and a lot of them are focussed on women in the workforce. I dont know quite who you could ask in Qld but you may have a Womens Information and Referral service which would be able to put you on the right track.

This is one of those times where being a woman has its advantages, especially if you are a mature woman!

:hug:

Thanks Quoll! I'm definitely older but some would say not so mature, :laugh:

I will keep on researching my options based on all these great suggestions, and will post any findings to help others in a similar situation

Sue x

Archived