Snake on the verandah

PommyPaul

Stepped outside this morning and almost stood on this snake right outside the backdoor, just happened to have my camcorder in my hand so got some footage.

What kind of snake is it? I'm guessing its just a harmless tree snake (that likes my bin lol).

mBWv58o6ZM4

FILE0402.jpg

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Paul

God knows what sort of snake it is. Ask Aldo - he knows about all the different snakes in QLD.

Are you sure that the creature in the picture is fully grown, though? You get babies around at this time of year?

Cheers

Gill

I get snakes at my place, but have no idea whether they are harmless tree snakes or deadly brown snakes!!!!

I am more worried by spiders though!!! I had the most enormous huntsman on my car yesterday. It was AWFUL!!!!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Guest31881

I have not seen a snake yet! But I think I would have to respect them all and give them a wide berth, I cannot tell harmless from poisonous, so would just steer clear of them all. (Born coward with snakes).

:wink:

Have to reply to this.

Is it something about the Sunny Coast. I had the same experience last week, I was sitting on the patio chatting on the phone, looked down and there was a 4 ft snake about a foot away from me!!!!!!!! Have lived in Asia for years and on the coast for 7 years, and would say I am very aware of any movement, but was aware of nothing till I saw it. I screamed and fled indoors!! Still having snake nightmares. Have to add it's only the 2nd snake I have seen in the garden, but that's 2 too many. Mine was brownish with yellowy green underneath.

Don't care if it was harmless, it was too close for comfort.

Yes i think its only a baby, i'm with you guys i definately don't get close to them on purpose!

Anither fella at work though picks them up by the tail and throws them back into the bush, looks dead scary though especially when the snake arches round towards his arm. eek!

Guest guest36187

I have got rid of several carpet pythons from work when they come indoors and lay under the food trolleys!! Got to say they dont bother me TBH!

Stepped outside this morning and almost stood on this snake right outside the backdoor, just happened to have my camcorder in my hand so got some footage.

What kind of snake is it? I'm guessing its just a harmless tree snake (that likes my bin lol).

mBWv58o6ZM4

FILE0402.jpg

looked like a young brown to me, BTW I certainly would not be leaving my wellies outsid of a night time, and always give them a shake before you put them on!

Guest Gollywobbler
G'day mate, it looks like a yellow faced whip snake; pity the pic is slightly out-of-focus.

Queensland Museum - Snakes - Species Detail

A few snakes for ID:

reptiles

Cheers, Bobj.

Hmmm, Bobj!

So if the crittur on Paul's verandah is a yellow faced whip snake, the thing hanging around his house is at least harmess though it is also still small and young?

Do local zoos and similar come and take the snakes away, harmless or not?

Thanks

Gill

Guest VickyMel

Hi

OK this is me in bunny(snake)hugger mood!

Do get it correctly ID'd in some way so you know what you are dealing with.

But if you find out that it is a harmless snake maybe don't get it moved? If it is young it might just be moving through looking for suitable snake habitat - but if it stays it means there is habitat/food suitable for a snake in the area.

If it is a harmless rather have that one stay with you and eat all the available snake food etc. and fill that space rather than have it moved as then you leave a gap for another snake.

VickyMel

Hmmm, Bobj!

Gill

We have an organisation in this state called Reptile Rescue - volunteers who like reptiles and have been trained to handle them safely (which is important here because all snakes in Tasmania are venomous). They will come and capture and relocate to unpopulated areas. I would imagine that other states have something similar.

Hmmm, Bobj!

So if the crittur on Paul's verandah is a yellow faced whip snake, the thing hanging around his house is at least harmess though it is also still small and young?

Thanks

Gill

The yellow faced whip snake is poisonous!! But not life threatening.

All and I repeat all, poisonous snakes are poisonous from their birth...And just as potent as their parents.

Most heavily populated areas do have experts who catch snakes and transfer them to the bush. Might have to contact 'Wires'

WIRES - Australian Wildlife Rescue Organisation - Home

Cheers, Bobj.

The yellow faced whip snake is poisonous!! But not life threatening.

All and I repeat all, poisonous snakes are poisonous from their birth...And just as potent as their parents.

Most heavily populated areas do have experts who catch snakes and transfer them to the bush. Might have to contact 'Wires'

WIRES - Australian Wildlife Rescue Organisation - Home

Cheers, Bobj.

I've come into contact with whip snakes here but the horse shoe variaty and they do look similar its hard to tell by the photo but the large eyes make me lean towards the whip over the brown but would kill it anyway just to make sure (joke)

Brownsnake

Australian_Brown_Snake.jpg

whip

Yellow-faced%20Whip%20Snake%20%28G.Chapman%29.JPG

Archived