New changes affecting panel doctors,important

Mylady

Guest Jamie Smith
I asked him whether the Grand Plan is to stop - or at least greatly reduce - the number of immigrant workers to Australia in future? Mr Wilden's reply was fascinating. He said that the idea of the Baby Bonus in Oz was for the Government to encourage couples in Oz to produce 3 children apiece. The plan was one for Mum, one for Dad and one for the Government, said Mr Wilden (which made me laugh!)

It wasn't made clear here that the Government intended 3 kids per couple, just that they wanted more of them.

If that was the goal they forgot something - that the price of housing has doubled in the last 5 years and water has been in short supply recently, so houses / flats / apartments are not having such big yards for kids to play in and dwellings have become smaller.

The obvisous flow on effect is that families don't intend to have more kids than they think they can afford to raise and house. A $3000 payout as a once-off does not cover the ongoign years, the tens of thousands it costs to raise a kid these days.

In fact, it barely pays for any of the first year expenses new parents have. Another grand idea that gotthe intended public votes with the intended lack of Govt funding.

Now if it was say $20,000 spread over 4 or 5 years well yes, then parenst might have more kids and be able to resume part time work whern the kid starts school.

I think Gill that when Mr Wilden repeated that he really comes across as a dyed in the wool Govt man and is not so much the customer driven person you are hoping for. :swoon:

Cynics and truth speakers don't rise to his level of Government.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jamie

Who pays the Baby Bonus? Do Centrelink pay it? David Wilden told us that he is 47 and that he comes from Canberra. He was a Centrelink BigWig till 2005 when he moved across to DIAC. Hence I wondered whether Centrelink deal with the Baby Bonus or whether the ATO deal with it?

David Wilden is as sharp as a cartload of monkeys. He doesn't miss a trick and he always says "the right" (ie Government) thing, plus he is very polished whilst seeming to be completely relaxed and eager to tell the truth. He's good. I could put up with DW far more easily than I could put up with his rough diamond of a Minister (putting it kindly.)

I don't believe that any pollies speak the truth and I don't believe that public servants do either. I learned a bit of the jargon when I worked for a Briish Govt Agency (part of a larger Department) for a couple of years. The UK does not "gold plate" XYZ. The UK goes bluddy overboard with it, which needed to be stopped to keep the UK lawful in the relevant UN Conventions. As a lawyer, I marched in and told them the truth. My boss was a public servant of many years experience. The UK "gold plates" XYZ apparently, according to his weasel description of the truth. Complete bunkum but it depends on which semantics are used. It also depends on why and how (and to whom) the truth is being given some "spin", I learned. I was disgusted by the lack of truth but nobody else saw anything wrong with it....

Another snippet that I learned from David Wilden astounded me. The UK abandoned control of Immigration in 2001. That was a deliberate decision by the Blair Government, as has been proven. OK - seemingly EU law requires the UK to put up with the huge influx of EU Nationals. What about the rest - from the rest of the world? Why don't we do anything about controlling them?

DW was TOTALLY deadpan when he said this: Apparently the UK abandoned all controls because the UK did not want an "un-diverse" society ruled by the EU masses alone. Seemingly controls were abandoned in order to create a genuinely diverse, multicultural society in the UK.

I sat there thinking, "David, you surely don't believe such utter garbage?" However he was completely deadpan and gave nothing away. Presumably the British Government people told him this rubbish and it could be that the Aussie Govt has a duty to be seen to accept such nonsense at face value? Dunno!

Cheers

Gill

Guest rachbarlow

Temporarily the Minister thinks he can crack the whip because there are far more applicants than there are visas so right now he can ride high. However this imbalance will not exist in years to come and he would do well to remember that in my view.

David Wilden said that the UK and Ireland have always supplied huge numbers of tradies to Oz. He said that the Aussies like the common language and the fact that education and the trade apprenticeship systems have been very similar in both countries.

I asked him whether the Grand Plan is to stop - or at least greatly reduce - the number of immigrant workers to Australia in future? Mr Wilden's reply was fascinating. He said that the idea of the Baby Bonus in Oz was for the Government to encourage couples in Oz to produce 3 children apiece. The plan was one for Mum, one for Dad and one for the Government, said Mr Wilden (which made me laugh!)

This is what I don't understand..................... call me stupid even though I am well educated with a teaching qual and a degree!!! My OH has been in his trade for 22 years, since school, we have 2 children, I am well educated. So we have the children, the skills and equity to take with us. We match the DIAC's little Grand plan (minus 1 child buy heh not going through that again for the DIAC!!!), so what's the problem??????

To me this is the classic case of left doesn't know what right is doing and in the process we will pee off the poms!! You want to come to oz, even though we really need you, aging population and vacanicies galore, but you can beg and pay out stupid amounts and run around like headless chickens in the process!!!!

Cluck Cluck.........................:realmad:

I went along to see Dr. Brendon Smith today, and would agree with the recommendations given above. This week it was possible to arrange a medical with a few days notice. I don't know if that will continue next week.

Dr. Smith said that the reduction in clinics was a result of DIAC reducing the number of migrants. So I'm wondering if there's been a policy shift by the government, and there will be fewer visas offered in the future. Perhaps the three year wait for low priority cases will be permanent.

Guest angiem75

Hi

Does anyone know if medicals already done are affected???

I had my menical for 457 on 24/12/09 and it was recieved at Sydney processing centre on the 11/01/10.

I've had no conformation that it has been recieved yet! and one of the replies on this thread states if they are recieved by HOC after the 18/01/10 they will not be processed.

Any advise would be appriciated. I'm so worried now.

Had my medical, xray and bloods at Handsworth Wood Medical Centre in Birmingham

Good luck to everyone x

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

Does anyone know if medicals already done are affected???

I had my menical for 457 on 24/12/09 and it was recieved at Sydney processing centre on the 11/01/10.

I've had no conformation that it has been recieved yet! and one of the replies on this thread states if they are recieved by HOC after the 18/01/10 they will not be processed.

Any advise would be appriciated. I'm so worried now.

Had my medical, xray and bloods at Handsworth Wood Medical Centre in Birmingham

Good luck to everyone x

Hi Angie

I stated that Dr Goodall - in Southampton - had been told to get his meds to Australia by 18th January. One of the other doctors were told that they could continue to do meds up till 19th January. Nobody has discussed what the medical practice in Handsworth Wood has been asked to do.

11th January was only a week ago and apparently there is a large backlog at the HOC so I wouldn't expect them to deal with such recent meds yet.

As to whether Handsworth Wood are authorised to continue to do medicals, I'd say that the best thing is for you to phone them and find out.

Best wishes

Gill

I wonder if applicants from other countries are subjected to this sort of thing?

A colleague of mine (he is Polish, but been living in UK for YEARS) is off to Perth in April with his girlfriend on a student visa.... he has flown to Poland this weekend to get his medicals, which he says cost around £50, so even with the cost of the flights home, it is still costing him a fraction of what we might be expected to pay here!!!

So if he can do it.... why can't I fly my entire family to somewhere like Poland to get our meds done, since it could potentially cost us alot less than to travel halfway across the UK to get them done here? We could have a little holiday into the bargain !! :skeptical:

Guest Gollywobbler
I wonder if applicants from other countries are subjected to this sort of thing?

A colleague of mine (he is Polish, but been living in UK for YEARS) is off to Perth in April with his girlfriend on a student visa.... he has flown to Poland this weekend to get his medicals, which he says cost around £50, so even with the cost of the flights home, it is still costing him a fraction of what we might be expected to pay here!!!

So if he can do it.... why can't I fly my entire family to somewhere like Poland to get our meds done, since it could potentially cost us alot less than to travel halfway across the UK to get them done here? We could have a little holiday into the bargain !! :skeptical:

Hi CharmedP3

At the moment you can have your meds done anywhere you like in the world where there is a DIAC-approved Panel Doctor etc. Early on in this thread somebody (you?) mooted the possibility of the visa applicants travelling to Poland from the UK. It is certainly allowable at the present.

In months or years to come the idea might prove to be viable as well because there could be such a long waiting list for DIAC-approved facilities in the UK and/or those facilities might become ridiculously expensive in the UK that it might well pay visa applicants from the UK to travel to Paris or Prague. Or to get the meds done in Malaysia whilst on holiday there or en route to/from a rekkie in Oz because Malaysia is also cheap for the meds.

Whatever happens though, it will be far more hassle than just nipping to faciliities 20 miles from home as far as the Brits are concerned.

Cheers

Gill

Hi CarmedP3

At the moment you can have your meds done anywhere you like in the world where there is a DIAC-approved Panel Doctor etc. Early on in this thread somebody (you?) mooted the possibility of the visa applicants travelling to Poland from the UK. It is certainly allowable at the present.

In months or years to come the idea might prove to be viable as well because there could be such a long waiting list for DIAC-approved facilities in the UK and/or those facilities might become ridiculously expensive in the UK that it might well pay visa applicants from the UK to travel to Paris or Prague. Or to get the meds done in Malaysia whilst on holiday there or en route to/from a rekkie in Oz because Malaysia is also cheap for the meds.

Whatever happens though, it will be far more hassle than just nipping to faciliities 20 miles from home as far as the Brits are concerned.

Cheers

Gill

I didn't know that you CAN at this present have your meds done anywhere in the world.... thought you had to do them in your "home" country so to speak....

Certainly wasn't me who mooted it Gill lol!!! Only just read through this entire thread this morning!!!

But still wonder whether the same thing regarding panel Doctors IS happening to applicants from other countries also... in which case, it wouldn't be "viable" to tie your meds in with a holiday (potentially) .....

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi CharmedP3

I didn't know that you CAN at this present have your meds done anywhere in the world.... thought you had to do them in your "home" country so to speak....

Nope. Not at present. Not every country in the world even has one Panel Doctor etc but DIAC get applicants from all over the world. Some people have to travel to a different country. Other people do a lot of travelling for their jobs etc and when the CO asks for the meds it is easier to get them done wherever the applicant is. Many applicants also apply for offshore visas but the applicant is in Australia, in which case the meds can be done in Oz - by Health Services Australia.

Contact Us

But still wonder whether the same thing regarding panel Doctors IS happening to applicants from other countries also... in which case, it wouldn't be "viable" to tie your meds in with a holiday (potentially) .....

The UK is much smaller than Canada, say, geographically. It is also much smaller than India or China.

It could be that the UK lends itself to "simplifying" the arrangements via having fewer Panel Doctors etc. Also DIAC might have decided to make the changes in the UK first and see how those go before they try to interfere with other countries at the same time.

I don't have time to trawl through every country on the Panel Doctors' Lists in order to find out whether the new arrangements affect anyone except the UK.

Cheers

Gill

Guest angiem75

Thanks Gill

I will call the medical centre tomorrow, and I am going to call HOC tonight.

Do you know if they document the day the courier delivered, and count that as the day recieved??

Also have you any clue as to how long they are taking at present to process the meds? We need to get out there in March as hubby needs to tell work yes to VR.

Again any info would be great. I'll post any information I get from HOC and medical centre tomorrow.

Angie

Got to thinking about this and been checking the status of panel Docs in other countries- no similar process amongst the panel Doc's in countries listed under A's as far as I can see -certainly no similar message saying that there is a review process - also went to those listed in the USA -there are many Doctors in each state and many with out the new preferred IT system so why is the focus only on the British and Irish?

If the aim is to slow down the application process but this turns out to affect applications from only these two countries what is the underlying argument/justification and how does this fit with Human rights/ issues of equal access etc?

If it is purely about the IT system being used then why are other countries not similarly affected and anyway how could this be justified in those countries which are less economically advanced?

If it is about the geographic location and spread of Doctors then I notice that some countries only have one doctor anyway whilst others have loads.

The point of my whole post being that if it is only the current and future applicants from the UK and Ireland who end up being severely hampered in their application process as a result of this review then this appears to me to be something that is worth challenging simply on the principle of fairness and transparency or am I over analysing?

Guest rachbarlow

Well if we can go to Poland to do meds, and throw a hol into the bargain, couple of days away and it is still cheaper then it makes sence. However, this seems to me totally farsical and pathetic, but then thinking this is about right for the DIAC!! £50 for a med then + flight. The thing is if we all started to do this then the DIAC's actions would be totally pointless again.

I think they they start, and test their changes in the UK, are we are so close to oz (relationship wise commonwelth etc...), then look at implementing it elsewhere if necessary. Or it could be just the UK as most of us want to leave, (UK biggest applicants).

Guest angiem75

Well I just called HOC and someone told me they are currently processing medicals recieved on the 24th Dec 09, and there is a 3 week delay in processing:mad:

She also told me that it is wrong that meds recieved after 18th Jan wont be processed, but she didn't sound very convincing!!! She also could not confirm that my medical was recieved on the 11th jan as UPS traking states.

Sorry not much help really, I'm so angry but who do you complain to.

Guest angiem75

Another update

I called HOC again (as I wasn't happy with first answer!!) and I spoke to someone with some common sense lol

I gave them my UPS tracking num and they confirmed that they have recieved my medical. She also said they were processing meds recieved on 6/01/10, and they allow 3 days for each date, so think I need to sit tight and wait now.

It's crazy that they couldn't find my med from my TRN number but found it from the UPS number:biglaugh:.

Hi AngieM75

just read your update and wanted to clarify that ...... Let's say on the 18th of jan they will be processing medicals rec on the 6th, 7th and 8th or is it the other way around ie: it takes them 3 days to process medicals rec on the 6th????

Also I am curious on what tel number you called them abs at what time because my medicals as per the courier were rec on the 14th but as our app is paper based we have no way of checking?

Regards

Balman

She also said they were processing meds recieved on 6/01/10, and they allow 3 days for each date, so think I need to sit tight and wait now.

That's actually not too bad - a lead time of 8 working days before they look at medicals. Obviously 1 working day would be better still!

My application and medicals were sent to Australia House in London who would have passed them on to HOC. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get them from London to Sydney? Do they use regular post or do they have a special Australian Government courier to do it?

I called up Heathrow who have not been told they are off the list.... they were aware that lots of places were being removed but said that they hadn't been notified of anything so were carrying on assuming that they were still fine... the woman there seemed very efficient and on the ball.

Anyway in case it is useful for anyone out there to compare prices this is what they told me

Adults £166 + VAT for medical (incl bloods) plus £70 in cash to hospital for X Ray

Children £55 + VAT

It worked out cheaper for us than Kingston which we had originally looked at as Kingston did not do reduced prices for children.

Very wishful thinking but I have booked myself in for 5 weeks time in case they get chokka... they do take a credit card to keep your place but confirmed that they wouldn't charge it provided you cancelled at least 48 hours ahead.

Sarah

Guest angiem75

Hi All

As I understood it Balman they take 3 days to process 6th, another 3 days to process 7th and so on!!

Hope this helps.

Great news today I got acknowledgement from DIAC that they recieved my application for 457 visa, only 3 weeks after I lodged it lol :biglaugh:

SEmott thats good I paid £250 for my medical in Birmingham, but I had all the works, Med, bloods and Xray as I'm a nurse. They too took credit card to book, but don't charge if you cancel before 48hrs.

Good luck everyone Angie

Angie

I have booked my meds for next week, Belfast is totally off the list now, both the radiology department and the panel doctors - makes no sense what so ever to my mind that the capital city in Northern Ireland can no longer do medicals. So we are having to travel further to get them, but thankfully not too far... I have asked that they contact me if they receive word that they are to be removed from the lists between now and then, the two clinics seemed to be aware of this possibility, so word is filtering through. I will also phone them on the day to make sure that there are no last minute removals and check the website, nothing else we can do now but keep our fingers crossed!

I called HOC to be told that they had not rec our medicals on the 14th despite the courier company confirming delivery and having delivered it to a gentman called Greg as per the signature. A sleepless night till I get hold of the courier co tomorrow morning

Guest angiem75

Sorry to hear that Balman, I called HOC on +61 2 8666 5777, I gave the girl my UPS courier tracking number and she found mine.

Is this the same as you did, if yes then I can't help anymore. Dont worry I'm sure its there somewhere. Angie

Guest KatyNick

I've just run the clinic in Middlesbrough and they are still doing the X-rays for Visas. I tried to ring the medical centre (separate) to see if they are still carrying out the medicals, but the number listed is their fax number. I'll have a look on 'Yell' later and get their number and ring them. Hope this is of use to people in the North East.

If it's any help, I've got the numbers from my medical in Manchester here:

• Medical - £95.00
  • HIV test - £45.00
  • X-Ray - £70.00
  • Passport photos - £4.00
  • Courier fee - £14.00
  • TOTAL - £208.00

Options that I didn't use were:

• Medical for under 11 - £50.00
  • Hepatitis B - £29.00
  • Hepatitis C - £39.00
  • Maximum courier fee - £47.00 (for four or more tests)

It's useful having a scanned receipt / price list on my PC.

Archived