Statutory declarations for defacto– really confused??

Hi All,

So were starting to collate all information for my defacto visa which we will be applying for in March.

We booked our flights this week – leaving in July. Risky to do I know, but the prices were increasing so much we just went for it – Im so so so excited but also very nervous about the visa! Im thinking March – July should hopefully be enough time though.

For our statutory declarations which we need from other people to confirm that we are a couple we were going to get one from both our mothers, one from our housemate whos known us for a year, and one from a friend in Australia who has known us all for nearly 2 years.

I have a few questions on what we need to do and what information they need to provide:

- Is there any basic templates we can provide people?

- Do their declarations need to be witnessed by anyone, or can they just be handwritten and signed?

- Do they need to provide a copy of their passport?

Regarding the statements that my partner and I need to write, we were thinking of printing off about 20 photos and just sitting down and writing a timeline of our time together, things we have done and plans for the future. How much info is needed? Does this need to be witnessed by anyone?

Could anyone provide any information on what they did? Im very confused as to the legalities required for this part of the process and cant really seem to find much explaining exactly what needs to be done, even in the official document?

Please help!

Guest Danni82

Hi Daisyd,

I too am in the process of applying for a visa, a s/class 300 (prospective marriage visa) the information requested for mine seems the same as yours (as far as i can see on the forms i recvd) i have investigated it a little further and im told the character style letters from family/friends etc can be hand written in a declaration format and signed and dated by that person only, as can the letter you each or together do. Pictures and any other supporting evidence is advised.

I have had friends here, and in Oz and family members hand write me letters and also my ex employer in oz as having a mixture of each of those is better.

Im in the process of putting together a letter about my fiance stating how we meet, significant events that have happened and what our plans for the future are and will also be attaching pictures, cards, things we have together etc.

I enquired with an emigration/migration company who advised me this should be suffice and if not more specific information will be asked for.

Let me know how you get on and all the very best of luck with your plans.

Danni

:hug:

Guest siamsusie
Hi All,

So were starting to collate all information for my defacto visa which we will be applying for in March.

We booked our flights this week – leaving in July. Risky to do I know, but the prices were increasing so much we just went for it – Im so so so excited but also very nervous about the visa! Im thinking March – July should hopefully be enough time though.

For our statutory declarations which we need from other people to confirm that we are a couple we were going to get one from both our mothers, one from our housemate whos known us for a year, and one from a friend in Australia who has known us all for nearly 2 years.

I have a few questions on what we need to do and what information they need to provide:

- Is there any basic templates we can provide people?

- Do their declarations need to be witnessed by anyone, or can they just be handwritten and signed?

- Do they need to provide a copy of their passport?

Regarding the statements that my partner and I need to write, we were thinking of printing off about 20 photos and just sitting down and writing a timeline of our time together, things we have done and plans for the future. How much info is needed? Does this need to be witnessed by anyone?

Could anyone provide any information on what they did? Im very confused as to the legalities required for this part of the process and cant really seem to find much explaining exactly what needs to be done, even in the official document?

Please help!

Hi Daisy,

yes 2 witnesses (prefereably Australian citizens) are required to give their statements as to the genuine standing of your relationship which must be stat dec'd. This incorporates a copy (stat dec'd) of their passport and their birth certificate. The photos are fine to be printed off, (not DVD's) and those dont have to be witnessed.

Yes you and your partner have to give seperate statements, of how you met, how your partner will support you etc it is all in the 40sp & 47sp. It is very straightforward and there is a check list as well. Yes your statements have to be stat decd.....Dont forget, copies of all your certificates, passports etc also to be stat dec'd, your sponsor's finances, Wills, letters, postcards, etc etc to make up the picture for DIAC that you are enjoying a genuine relationship together.

Feel free to ask away..... best wishes Susie:wubclub:

Danni, thanks for your response, very useful info – funny my name is Danni aswell J How much info are you and your partner writing? Are you making references to the photos you have included?

Siamsusie – you say the passports need to be stat decd – am I correct in thinking, they can write a paragraph on how were a couple etc, sign, photocopy their passport and post to us?

What kind of info do they need to put, or if it just a sentence confirming we are a couple??

Do they need to get their passport photocopies confirmed by a solicitor before they are posted over to us? Or does this not need to be done?

With our stat decs, is that for our passports, birth certs, bills etc – can we put all in one bundle and get the solicitor (or whoever) to authorise it all? Do you have any idea of how much this will cost, as I havent actually included this in my budget so far!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info your giving me. xx

Guest siamsusie
Danni, thanks for your response, very useful info – funny my name is Danni aswell J How much info are you and your partner writing? Are you making references to the photos you have included?

Siamsusie – you say the passports need to be stat decd – am I correct in thinking, they can write a paragraph on how were a couple etc, sign, photocopy their passport and post to us?

What kind of info do they need to put, or if it just a sentence confirming we are a couple??

Do they need to get their passport photocopies confirmed by a solicitor before they are posted over to us? Or does this not need to be done?

With our stat decs, is that for our passports, birth certs, bills etc – can we put all in one bundle and get the solicitor (or whoever) to authorise it all? Do you have any idea of how much this will cost, as I havent actually included this in my budget so far!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info your giving me. xx

Morning Danni,

Your witnesses's passports or ID need to be photocopied and stat dec'd along with their birth certificates. No Dannie it is more than a paragraph, its a "statement" from them stating where they first met you, how long they have known you as a couple, ect. They then can can take all their documentation to a nominated authorised person eg. a pharmacist etc to stat dec. and that service is free over here.

Regarding your bills, they dont need stat dec'ing... follow the list of items on 40 & 47 sp respectively Passport, Birth Certificate, all documents relating to you ...changes of names etc... and then a solicitor (and or a nominated person on the list) will stat dec them for you.. Charges vary from GDP3 -GDP5 per copy. If you are completing your own paperwork here Danni, then a pharmacist for eg would stat dec your documents free of charge also.

(I have used them on a frequent basis here for various things, they are exceptionally good, but I take them a bottle of wine for their trouble, it must be so frustrating at having constant interruptions!)

Your check list is very important Danni, go through it methodically and carefully, it will be so frustrating to receive constant demands and it will hold your visa up.

My advice is also to photocopy all the documentation for your own records, and whatever you send, send via trackable post. Dont forget your x 2 Police reports and your medicals.

Regarding your photographs, whilst writing your statement, you could correspond your photos with your statement.... we met @ ....... see photo (a)....we went on holiday see photo (b) ... something along those lines.

Give us a nudge if you want more info Danni..... best wishes Susie

Guest johnharte

I completed all the paper work, evidencing and mountain of docs and received a defacto visa for my partner - if anyone would like a copy of the Stat Decs that i used (for getting an idea of what you need) feel free to drop me a PM and I'll send a copy.

John

Guest johnharte

Hi Daisyd - You should have a message from me!

All other people who dropped me a PM have been replied to also...

I couldnt attach the Stat Dec to the PM so I have either emailed you or asked for you to email me or provide your email address so I can send it....

Ive been where you guys are now and had some great help off this site - So if anyone wants advice or help feel free to ask me! Once you get going it wont some so daunting.. Honest....

John

Morning Danni,

Your witnesses's passports or ID need to be photocopied and stat dec'd along with their birth certificates. No Dannie it is more than a paragraph, its a "statement" from them stating where they first met you, how long they have known you as a couple, ect. They then can can take all their documentation to a nominated authorised person eg. a pharmacist etc to stat dec. and that service is free over here.

Regarding your bills, they dont need stat dec'ing... follow the list of items on 40 & 47 sp respectively Passport, Birth Certificate, all documents relating to you ...changes of names etc... and then a solicitor (and or a nominated person on the list) will stat dec them for you.. Charges vary from GDP3 -GDP5 per copy. If you are completing your own paperwork here Danni, then a pharmacist for eg would stat dec your documents free of charge also.

(I have used them on a frequent basis here for various things, they are exceptionally good, but I take them a bottle of wine for their trouble, it must be so frustrating at having constant interruptions!)

Your check list is very important Danni, go through it methodically and carefully, it will be so frustrating to receive constant demands and it will hold your visa up.

My advice is also to photocopy all the documentation for your own records, and whatever you send, send via trackable post. Dont forget your x 2 Police reports and your medicals.

Regarding your photographs, whilst writing your statement, you could correspond your photos with your statement.... we met @ ....... see photo (a)....we went on holiday see photo (b) ... something along those lines.

Hi Susie,

Im in UK but getting 2 friends in Oz to do the stat decs so have forwarded them the 888 form.

Am also getting our housemate and my mum to do our stat decs in the UK so we will have four in total.

Thanks for the info : )

Danni

Morning Danni,

One last question! When my UK friends do their stat decs and provide those along with a photocopy of their passport can I get them signed off for them (wiuth lawyer, police etc) when we get all our paperwork authorised, or do they have to do it themselves?

If I get it signed off for them, do they have to be present?

Thanks for the responses, starting to feel a lot more confident about what were doing, got our lists and forms printed out. Have sent the 888 form to my friends in Oz to fill out and post over. Good to get the ball rolling!

Sorry can any advise re my last query:

One last question! When my UK friends do their stat decs and provide those along with a photocopy of their passport can I get them signed off for them (wiuth lawyer, police etc) when we get all our paperwork authorised, or do they have to do it themselves?

If I get it signed off for them, do they have to be present?

I think once I know this ill be good to go and start getting forms filled in and medicals booked! Exciting (and nerve racking!) stuff!

Guest johnharte

You need the originals with all copies etc... They dont have to be present, but you'll need their passports etc....

Is that what you were thinking?

John

You need the originals with all copies etc... They dont have to be present, but you'll need their passports etc....

Is that what you were thinking?

John

Exactly what I needed to know! Thanks John :)

Guest catriona

Hey I too am in the later stages of applying in the UK.

I got everyone UK and Aus to do the stat dec form and they all had to be at the solicitors who certified them. My dad in law in Aus had his done by a justice of peace. One tip ring around solicitors, I got quoted £25 per sheet signed but managed to get one who did it for a £1 a time!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest suzy n Haydn

This is all really helpful (and a little overwhelming) for us, we are getting ready to send in our application on our year anniversary of living together 24th Feb! Glad it is not just us who finds all the informtion so confusing!

For some reason it will not let me send you a PM John for your help with the stat dec..... I'm new to this, any suggestions?!

Thanks in advance and keep the advice coming!!

Suzy

I am also just starting my visa app - finding it so overwhemling, seem to find out new information each day. This site is great - so much helpful stuff here.

John I also can't seem to PM you - would love to see what you sent through so I can use it as a guideline of what is expected.... ???

hi all, this post has been of great help. i too am trying to get my head around all of this

if i could also get the example from you John that would be great

Archived