ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest alanbil

Visa Medical - help much apperciated

Guest alanbil

Hi everyone,

I've been in Australia for 3 years now. My mum and dad applied for a retirement visa last year - for those that don't know this involves paying $100k to cover future medical expenses etc. and the main reason for coming over is to have the support of myself and my sister (who also live in Oz) in their old age.

Unfortunately my dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer recently - it was caught in the very early stages and with careful observation he should be fine. Obviously this has caused great worries as it looks like their visa application is now compromised to say the least.

I've read many posts that state that it's virtually impossible to say what will happen. I fully understand this so I'm not asking for opinions on what people may think will happen but instead I was hoping that someone can give me concrete examples on what has happened to them with regard to illness and the medical.

I'm sure after trawling through the Internet that a few shared experiences will help many people to better understand the possible consequences of their illness. I'll certainly try to do my bit by updating you on my father's progress.

I would really appreciate some help here, it's a very worrying time for the whole family.

TIA Alan.

Guest heljef1

sorry i can't help you with your query but just wanted to wish your dad well and hope that someone comes along soon to help you.

Kind regards

Helen x

Hi everyone,

I've been in Australia for 3 years now. My mum and dad applied for a retirement visa last year - for those that don't know this involves paying $100k to cover future medical expenses etc. and the main reason for coming over is to have the support of myself and my sister (who also live in Oz) in their old age.

Unfortunately my dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer recently - it was caught in the very early stages and with careful observation he should be fine. Obviously this has caused great worries as it looks like their visa application is now compromised to say the least.

I've read many posts that state that it's virtually impossible to say what will happen. I fully understand this so I'm not asking for opinions on what people may think will happen but instead I was hoping that someone can give me concrete examples on what has happened to them with regard to illness and the medical.

I'm sure after trawling through the Internet that a few shared experiences will help many people to better understand the possible consequences of their illness. I'll certainly try to do my bit by updating you on my father's progress.

I would really appreciate some help here, it's a very worrying time for the whole family.

TIA Alan.

What is the subclass of visa for which your parents applied?

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Guest alanbil

Hello Westly,

The visa is subclass 143 (contributory parent/migrant)

TIA

Hello Westly,

The visa is subclass 143 (contributory parent/migrant)

TIA

Subclass 143 is not a retirement visa.

If the visa application has already been lodged you will have to do the best you can to satisfy the Australian medical authorities that the medical condition you mentioned will not impose an undue financial burden on the Australian government and will not require the use of 'scarce resources'. If you want a copy of the advice I usually give in these circumstances, send an email to: visa@pinoyau.com

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com