and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Parentinwaiting

Help! Tell me it's not true!!!

Guest Parentinwaiting

As a parent applying on a Contributory Visa I’ve just come across this great Forum. However, I was shocked to read (under a thread started by Helen about the TV prog “Wanted Down Under") that she's still waiting to hear when she can go to Oz even though her Police checks and Health checks were done way back in August 2008. Please, please will someone tell me it's not true that even when you’ve completed everything you have to wait another 6 months!!!!

My situation is:- Submitted application August 2008. Waited 16 months and at last allocated a case worker on 17th December 2009 with a letter saying I had 28 days (standard I assume) to supply further info. However, the very day on the 18th Dec I got an email saying my case officer was now away on holiday until 11 Jan 2010.

Despite this have done Form 80, got Medicals and Xrays done yesterday and am now just waiting for Police Certs then I will send it all to PVC. But this is where I'm thrown. Is it right that when I send these items to the Parent Visa Centre in Perth, even if everything is OK the waiting will start all over again????

If so I’m genuinely shocked as I thought once these last things were done I'd be able to go out immediately – pretty much by March 2010 latest..

Help me please – can someone shed some light on this?

BIT OF INTERESTING HISTORY ABOUT CONTRIBUTORY VISAS…. My brother and his wife changed and went to once of the first Contributory Visas over 4 years ago. Everything went really quickly from then on and even with some health check problems they were into Perth within 6 months. It didn’t cost them a lot then either. Today the fees are going up and up and the wait is getting longer and longer.

I haven't read the thread you refer to, but perhaps that person front loaded her PCC and medicals?

Guest Parentinwaiting
I haven't read the thread you refer to, but perhaps that person front loaded her PCC and medicals?

Thanks Pumpkin for that fast reply. Have to confess to knowing very little so I don't know what front loading means. However, does that mean that I won't have to wait so long do you think? Elly

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Parent

There is nothing for you to worry about. Skilled visas have blown out but Parent visas are still OK.

Which of the Parent visas have you applied for and whereabouts are you at the moment, please? That depends on how your meds are handled.

Everything apart from the meds goes to the Parents Visa Centre in Perth.

Have you come across the C/Parent visa tracker?

Parents to Oz

And the big British Expats thread of Parents?

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3. - Page 53 : British Expat Discussion Forum

Cheers

Gill

Guest Parentinwaiting

Thanks Gill - that's what I needed to hear! The Visa I applied for was Contrib Parent Visa SubClass 173 - Temp. I went for that as I thought that there would be less people applying for that type of Visa and it would therefore be quicker than applying for the permanent 143. As mentioned it was 16 months waiting time for a Case officer so I think it was not any quicker applying for the Temp version and for all I know could have meant a longer wait. You just don't know. Thanks again, I feel a bit more hopeful now:-)

Thanks Pumpkin for that fast reply. Have to confess to knowing very little so I don't know what front loading means. However, does that mean that I won't have to wait so long do you think? Elly

I meant they might have done their medicals without actually being asked by a CO to go and do them.

Guest heljef1
I meant they might have done their medicals without actually being asked by a CO to go and do them.

Hi Parent in waiting.

I replied on my original thread then i came across this one you started.

Unfortunately for me my timeline is correct - and unlike others, i went by the book and waited for my co to request pc's and meds. I know some peple have frontloaded there's and became some of the lucky ones to get there visa's granted - i'm pleased for those but feel a bit cheated that i went down the correct path... nevermind, i'm sure my day will come!!!!

However, i'll repeat here what i put in my reply, the same might not apply to you as your applying for a different visa to me and i know absolutely nothing about what your doing...haha:biglaugh:

we were told that once our meds and pc's were finalised it would be about 3/4 weeks then the changes happened on 23rd sep and through everything in the air...

anyway, good luck with everything and i hope you don't have a long wait

Helen xx

Guest Parentinwaiting

Oh I see, thanks very much :-))

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks Gill - that's what I needed to hear! The Visa I applied for was Contrib Parent Visa SubClass 173 - Temp. I went for that as I thought that there would be less people applying for that type of Visa and it would therefore be quicker than applying for the permanent 143. As mentioned it was 16 months waiting time for a Case officer so I think it was not any quicker applying for the Temp version and for all I know could have meant a longer wait. You just don't know. Thanks again, I feel a bit more hopeful now:-)

Hi Parent

I've heard that the reason why the Parents Visa Centre has been slowed down is because of some of the PVC staff being sent to the detention centre on Christmas Island to deal with refugees.

It will all settle down soon enough. The main thing for you is that Parent visas are completely different from skilled visas and there is no mileage in mixing the two.

Nite nite

Gill

Guest Parentinwaiting

I've heard that the reason why the Parents Visa Centre has been slowed down is because of some of the PVC staff being sent to the detention centre on Christmas Island to deal with refugees.

It will all settle down soon enough. The main thing for you is that Parent visas are completely different from skilled visas and there is no mileage in mixing the two.

Nite nite

Gill

Hi Gill and thank you so much. I feel relieved that yet more waiting likely is not going to apply for me when (hopefully) all meds pass.

With all the knowledge you have, can I pick your brains for something else you might be able to explain to me?

I applied for just me to go to Oz. My husband may apply later. Even though he is not a "dependent" in any sense of the word he is referred to as one. And he has had to undergo the medicals, Xrays & police checks too. We found this uncomprehendable but were told a couple of time by Perth that it is correct. Apparently regarding the medicals I was told he had to have them and it is done under "One fails, all fails". Can you shed any light on this at all please. We've complied because felt had no other choice but seems so odd.

Kind regards, Elly

Guest Parentinwaiting
Try this site it's brilliant.

Regards,

Tisron

Parents to Oz

"Parents to Oz" website you recommended is great ! Thanks very very much, Elly, ParentinWaiting

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gill and thank you so much. I feel relieved that yet more waiting likely is not going to apply for me when (hopefully) all meds pass.

With all the knowledge you have, can I pick your brains for something else you might be able to explain to me?

I applied for just me to go to Oz. My husband may apply later. Even though he is not a "dependent" in any sense of the word he is referred to as one. And he has had to undergo the medicals, Xrays & police checks too. We found this uncomprehendable but were told a couple of time by Perth that it is correct. Apparently regarding the medicals I was told he had to have them and it is done under "One fails, all fails". Can you shed any light on this at all please. We've complied because felt had no other choice but seems so odd.

Kind regards, Elly

Hi Elly

If it were up to the applicants, several people who know that OH wouldn't make it through the CPV meds would say that OH is not included in the visa and has no chance of going to Oz.

They would then allow 5 years to expire after the grant of the CPV. The story would become that absence has made the heart grow fonder, with the result that the Parents are an item again.

In this scenario, a Partner visa could be used for the second parent. Usually quite quick, no hefty 2nd VAC to pay and above all a Health Waiver is available for Partner visas which it isn't with CPVs. Having the Health Waiver available would make it quite hard to avoid DIAC letting the second parent in even when s/he would not haave made a contribution to his/her future medical costs in Australia.

People would do this with sick children as well because a Child Visa also carries a health waiver provision.

To get round this, DIAC look at everyone who might be treated as being one of the visa applicant's close blood/marriage family and apply the "one fails, all fail" rule with the meds and other criteria for the first visa to be granted. If the non-migrating family member is too ill to migrate then nobody gets the right to migrate.

It is a usual proceeding and the PVC were right to insist on it in your case.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Parentinwaiting

Hi again Gill

Thank you so much for going to all the trouble of explaining that - who knew? Even when you explained it it's quite hard to grasp! Don't know how I've managed to get this far without a migration agent then!!!

Seriously though thank you. At least knowing it was essential makes me feel better about the double fees (which he'll have to pay again if he decides to come over one day)

How do you know all this stuff? You're amazing to know it and be prepared to take up your time to share it and help others.

I'm sorry once again I could not see the icon to click to add to your thanks list though.

Kind regards, Elly

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Elly

My mother has a Contributory Parent 143 visa which was granted in 2006 (back then it only took 9 months from start to finish, too, I might add.) Because of Mum, Parents are particularly dear to my heart where visas are concerned.

Cheers

Gill