Who's going to Melbourne

Guest Abi&Dan

Guest Julie Fairway

Hello,we are hopefully going to be out end of the year!we love the yarra valley!!we have just come back from there after spending 3 brilliant wks with my sister.we also went to werribee that was great and the werribee zoo is well worth a visit!everyone must go to the melbourne aquarium it is excellent!The Puffing Billy was a real adventure and was a great way to see the sights!We didnt go to Dandenong coz my sister didnt like it there so we took her advise ,coz shes lived in the area for 18 yrs.She took us through the Dandenong mountains that was amazing.Anyway we love Melbourne to, so much to offer!cant wait to get back out there.XXOH! FORGOT U MUST GO TO PENQUIN ISLAND!!XX:wubclub:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ozdreamer
Peppa,

How do i go about getting a copy of the report you mentioned ''where to live in melboune" ?

Many thanks

Hi

I have a copy of this, if you send me a PM I will try and sent it to you :spinny:

Cheers, Amanda

Guest ozdreamer

If anyone else would like a copy of 'Where to Live in Melbourne' just let me know and I will send you a copy :yes:

Amanda

Guest OldiesRUs

Hi Amanda

Would love a copy - probably be out of date by the time I get there, but we live in hopes.

Thanks

Jean

Guest ozdreamer
Hi Amanda

Would love a copy - probably be out of date by the time I get there, but we live in hopes.

Thanks

Jean

Hi Jean

If you would like to send me a PM with your email address I will send you a copy when I get home tonight :)

Cheers, Amanda

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again. The Miles' family here and now living in Melbourne. We're staying out in Bayswater in temporary holiday accommodation but it is a very nice 3 bedroom house we got it through Australian Holiday Accommodation, All states, All regions (I think that was the web address). melbourne is damn cold at the moment...am missing my winter coat, gloves and scarves which are en route in a container somewhere.

We have bought a car, husband has had a couple of interviews and should hear tomorrow whether he's got the job he really fancies. All positive apart from our dream of living Bayside...too expensive and not a lot of 4 bedroom houses up for rental in the suburbs we wanted. So, we looke in the Eatern suburbs last week, Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes area...I was SO impressed by what you could get for your money. Houses are fabulous, shopping centre is good enough for your local shops and the city is only 20 minutes away. Train services are good from Laverton, up the road from Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes and there are beaches at Altona and Williamstown. AND, it is nearer the Great Ocean Road ...beautiful. We do like the eatern suburbs and have been up to the Dandenongs this weekend. Had the kookaburras stealing our sandwiches from out opf our hands!!! Visited the most spiritual sculpture exhibition in the forest...William Ricketts Sanctuary...if you're out this way, go see it.

Anyway, the only thing I'll say is, so far, we haven't seen any neighbours to get to know. The suburbs sprawl for miles yet you don't see anyone apart from in the shopping malls. Went for an hours run around Bayswater yesterday and passed only 2 people out walking....odd. Hope once we get our boys settled in school/kinder I will get to know more people. The Aussies are fab... so friendly and helpful, so I'm sure it won't take long, it's just that we have no family routine of school/work at the moment.

Good luck to all of you still planning to get out here. When we get internet at home I'll be a more regular guest on PiO and will hopefully get to know my ex-pat neighbours a little better.

Cheers.

XXX

Drea

Guest spock

Fantastic post Drea, glad you're settling in well. We are heading for Melbourne next year and had pretty much decided on Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes area, although we've never been there ! Then just recently I've been having panics, thinking what if we hate Point Cook, what if its this what if its that - basically driving myself mad !!! Anyway, your post has completely put my mind at rest and now I can't wait to get there - thanks for that. Keep us posted on your progress, good luck with hubbies job. Cheers Jo.

Guest digger2475

cheers drea for that info, glad to see all of you getting sorted good luck. just one thing can you give me any info on removals, from what you can & Carnot take, company's, & any costings if you don't mind would be very grateful many thanks Karl, Mel, & kids

Guest al&nic

This is great!

All being well we're off to Melbourne too and are aiming for Jan 08. We have relatives in Blackburn North so will be renting somewhere close to them.

Al (30) & Nicola (33)

Hi we are a family of six ....Sloane 35, Ian 36, Jade 16, Rosalie 10, Zak 8 and molly 7. We are hoping to arrive end of June 2008 when my eldest daughter finishes her As levels and should be living in Wyndham vale when we first arrive. Hopefully there will be a meet soon after we arrive as we'd love to come along.

Guest digger2475

hia evry one as any one got any info about whear to live in melbourne. would be very very gratfull.

mel,karl & kids x2

Guest Fredtheman

Hi Digger I used to live in Melbourne 17 years ago. And now the plan is to go back,but not to Melbourne.Perth I'm off to.Seems to be jobs there.It's a smaller city and cleaner. I used to live in or around Croydon in the east of Melbourne If that helps.Most of the jobs are in the east of Melbourne.Big shopping centre in Doncaster,Chirnside Park and Knox City.Bayswater not the best places to live.Wildlife sancuary in Healsville is a great place to see.On the Maroondah Highway on the other side of Lilydale.Scoresby have good homes also,and there are jobs around there as well.Phillip Island and the Penguin Parade in the night time.{wrap up well even in the summer!!** . . . .. . .... But as I said I hope to get away again and the times Perth MORE JOBS all round I hear from a mate there already and the money he's on !!! I hope this helps

Fred

Guest Fredtheman

Hi Digger I used to live in Melbourne 17 years ago. And now the plan is to go back,but not to Melbourne.Perth I'm off to.Seems to be jobs there.It's a smaller city and cleaner. I used to live in or around Croydon in the east of Melbourne If that helps.Most of the jobs are in the east of Melbourne.Big shopping centre in Doncaster,Chirnside Park and Knox City.Bayswater not the best places to live.Wildlife sancuary in Healsville is a great place to see.On the Maroondah Highway on the other side of Lilydale.Scoresby have good homes also,and there are jobs around there as well.Phillip Island and the Penguin Parade in the night time.{wrap up well even in the summer!!** . . . .. . .... But as I said I hope to get away again and the times Perth MORE JOBS all round I hear from a mate there already and the money he's on !!! I hope this helps

Fred

• 5 months later...
Guest darryl
Hi Abi & Dan

We are hoping to move to the Mornington Peninsula area later this year hopefully October time,dependent on Visa and house sale. Goes up for sale 24th May:shocked:

No jobs ,no house no family in Oz but hopefully some friends :spinny:

looking forward to Melbourneand the meet ups.:jiggy: :yes:

Neil,Tracey & Hayleigh

just spotted you on PIO website wish id found it 7 years ago when i got here.wondered if you had arrived yet and if you have how is it all going?if you need anything even just a chat give us a call 0409218901....we've been there.Debbie & Darryl (mornington)

How fab is this post!! i honestly didnt realise so many people were heading for Melbourne, it was something that put us off at first , the thought that hardly any brits went there but we see differently now cant wait to get there it sounds fantastic!!:jiggy:Hope your all enjoying your new way of life!! x

Guest Fredtheman
Family ticktock hoping to get to Melbourne this year. come on visas :arghh:

Na go to Perth ! It's better than Melbourne ! :spinny:

Guest digger2475
Hello again. The Miles' family here and now living in Melbourne. We're staying out in Bayswater in temporary holiday accommodation but it is a very nice 3 bedroom house we got it through Australian Holiday Accommodation, All states, All regions (I think that was the web address). melbourne is damn cold at the moment...am missing my winter coat, gloves and scarves which are en route in a container somewhere.

We have bought a car, husband has had a couple of interviews and should hear tomorrow whether he's got the job he really fancies. All positive apart from our dream of living Bayside...too expensive and not a lot of 4 bedroom houses up for rental in the suburbs we wanted. So, we looke in the Eatern suburbs last week, Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes area...I was SO impressed by what you could get for your money. Houses are fabulous, shopping centre is good enough for your local shops and the city is only 20 minutes away. Train services are good from Laverton, up the road from Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes and there are beaches at Altona and Williamstown. AND, it is nearer the Great Ocean Road ...beautiful. We do like the eatern suburbs and have been up to the Dandenongs this weekend. Had the kookaburras stealing our sandwiches from out opf our hands!!! Visited the most spiritual sculpture exhibition in the forest...William Ricketts Sanctuary...if you're out this way, go see it.

Anyway, the only thing I'll say is, so far, we haven't seen any neighbours to get to know. The suburbs sprawl for miles yet you don't see anyone apart from in the shopping malls. Went for an hours run around Bayswater yesterday and passed only 2 people out walking....odd. Hope once we get our boys settled in school/kinder I will get to know more people. The Aussies are fab... so friendly and helpful, so I'm sure it won't take long, it's just that we have no family routine of school/work at the moment.

Good luck to all of you still planning to get out here. When we get internet at home I'll be a more regular guest on PiO and will hopefully get to know my ex-pat neighbours a little better.

Cheers.

XXX

Drea

hi drea its karl Ive spoke to you before, i think you and your family hadn't been in oz long hope you have settled in more now. if you are still online i would hope to get back in touch and pick your brains as we have our visas now and just starting the task of looking wear to live and selling the house. so i hope you get back in touch and give us some good advice.

many thanks karl,mel and kids x2

Guest Lareina

Hi, so nice to hear of so many other people heading towards Melbourne. We hope to be in Melbourne by July 07 if we ever manage to sell our house!! Although we do have a couple coming to view for a second time tomorrow so fingers crossed!!! My hubby is from Oz so I will be going on a perm spouse visa and our two children Maddie (5) and Nathan (1) have been lucky enough to gain Oz citizenship from Stu so have Oz passports too!!! Cant wait to actually get back to Oz, will look forward to a meet up!

Guest Andrea Bridge

SNAP!!! Now starting with the application process, and hoping to end up in Mornington too. Hubby, Steve, Jack (almost 8) and Callum (3 1/2) and me... Andrea (42 - Only on BIrth Certificate, though!!) You are more than welcome to come over for a BBQ and a beer/red wine, any time. Take care & best of luck with everything. Any advice you have, gratefully received this end! x x x

Count us in.........we are hoping to arrive in Geelong (PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE) at some point this year (2008).

Are we going to have some fun nights or what - it will be like the mini British invasion, they will not know what has hit them !!!!!!! Get some dates ready in your diaries.

Gill

Guest Andrea Bridge

Hi there.... Just trying to tie in when to get into Oz. Can you tell me do they have a long holiday at some point in the year? ie: our 6 weeks off in July, Aug. Thanks loads, Andrea xxx Sooooooo pleased to hear how much you love it there.... Gives us hope!! xxx

Hi there.... Just trying to tie in when to get into Oz. Can you tell me do they have a long holiday at some point in the year? ie: our 6 weeks off in July, Aug. Thanks loads, Andrea xxx Sooooooo pleased to hear how much you love it there.... Gives us hope!! xxx

Schools work on a 4 term system. Term begins at the end of January and continues through to Easter. There is 2 weeks off then another stint through to June/July where 2 more weeks holiday occurs. Then term goes through to September where, yes you guessed, there is another 2 weeks holiday and then the school year finishes around the 20th December. The summer hols (Christmas break) are about 5 1/2 weeks long.

Felicity:wub:

Hi

We are planning to be in Oz March 2008. My partner Steve (Engineer) has his 136 in place and I - Helen am Melbourne born and bred. We arrive with Steve's two girls 16 and 19 with my youngest - 17 - to follow in July (my eldest is at Uni and want to stay here).

We are looking hard at Mornington at the moment - although I grew up in Geelong it has been 30 years since I was last there so cant imgaine how it has changed. Google earth just doesnt quite manage to show it lol.

We are planning to set up a motorbike tuning business if house sales work out - if not it wil have to be rent them here and rent there with jobs until the market improves. It really is the most frustrating thing in the world putting your life and plans on hold waiting for the phone to ring. I guess pretty much everyone on this forum knows how that feels.

We would love to be involved in any meetings that are organised - and in fact host one at some time when we are settled.

Fingers crossed for some viewings this weekend.

Helen

Guest Andy Thomas

We've been on the Mornington Peninsula now for nearly 4 years. What a fantastic place to live, especially with young children. We've travelled all over for holidays etc, always with one eye on what it might be like to live elsewhere but to be honest I can't believe how lucky we were to pick one of the best places straight away. We wouldn't move now for anything, it's like living in paradise.

Andy

Archived