You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest big gus

IS THERE AN IDIOTS GUIDE (from absolute scratch?)

Guest big gus

Gents and ladies... new to the forum so go easy on me - and apologies if it's a really stupid request (I've looked here and can't find anything).

We're at the stage where we've decided on the move to Aus and are currently speaking to someone regarding which VISA we'd qualify via. (It seems I juuuust scrape the 100pts on a 175).

Is there a step-by-step guide, explained in a really condescending manner, of how we go about things on a daily basis from here. I mean - literally - from scratch, without missing out a single thing, however small it may seem.

I'm not sure if it's a blog I need or a guide... we just have absolutely no idea of the process and after exhaustively searching the internet there doesn't seem to be a total idiots guide.

If you've got this far, thanks for listening and sorry for rambling.

Welcome to PIO - and good luck, I could do with one too so you are not alone. Just about starting out too.

Hoping to move to OZ one day!!::daydreaming:

Guest Magnetic6

Big Gus if it's an idiots guide your after.... speak to Pablo (joke Pablo)

Welcome, my best advice would be just get firing questions on here. Ask what you need and tell people your job situation etc and you'll be amazed how helpful people are x x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Big Gus and Ozwanted

Have you studied the DIAC website at all? Pretty much everything you need to know is on there:

Department of Immigration & Citizenship

The Booklets are very useful as well:

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

What does each of you do for a living, please? That is the important question at this stage.

Cheers

Gill

Guest big gus

Hi Oz - where abouts in Warwickshire are you? We're in Stratford upon Avon (some of the time!).

Golly, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm actually a sports writer but have taken a break for 18 months following 15 years on the News of the World. We've been running a small hotel for just under 18 months now so for that reason I'm fairly sure I need to use 'Motel manager' from the SOL list rather than journalist.

I'm 33, my fiancee is 25 and we have a 4-month-old son. My fiancee's Aunt and Uncle have lived in Melbourne for 40 years and will happily sponsor us.

I think I just about scrape the 100pts needed on a 175 (?) but am unsure whether I could also qualify under a different visa (176?). The 'business' visa is no good as your company need to be turning over 300,000 AUS dollars per year.

Thanks for your help with those links, I have looked (well, scanned, it's pretty confusing) and I'll go back for a more thorough examination.

This forum looks great, thanks for your help so far, and we appreciate the welcome.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Oz - where abouts in Warwickshire are you? We're in Stratford upon Avon (some of the time!).

Golly, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm actually a sports writer but have taken a break for 18 months following 15 years on the News of the World. We've been running a small hotel for just under 18 months now so for that reason I'm fairly sure I need to use 'Motel manager' from the SOL list rather than journalist.

I'm 33, my fiancee is 25 and we have a 4-month-old son. My fiancee's Aunt and Uncle have lived in Melbourne for 40 years and will happily sponsor us.

I think I just about scrape the 100pts needed on a 175 (?) but am unsure whether I could also qualify under a different visa (176?). The 'business' visa is no good as your company need to be turning over 300,000 AUS dollars per year.

Thanks for your help with those links, I have looked (well, scanned, it's pretty confusing) and I'll go back for a more thorough examination.

This forum looks great, thanks for your help so far, and we appreciate the welcome.

Hi Gus

Have you been filling in an on-line guide on an agent's website? If so, it is not a good idea because there is no way you qualify for anything unless we get your qualifications straightened out!

The first thing which has to happen as of 1st January 2010 is:

(a) you must have your skills assessed by the relevant assessment authority; and

(b) you must have at least 12 months' recent experience in the nominated occupation.

The 12 months is prolly OK if you are running a proper hotel and not a B&B type of establishment.

However the skills authority is Vetassess:

Hotel or Motel Manager 3323-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Vetassess changed all their rules a few weeks ago and the new rules became effective on 1st Jan 2010:

Applying for a general professional occupation - VETASSESS

http://www.vetassess.com.au/download/qualification_assessment/vetassess_announcement_final_with_occ.pdf

Unless you have a degree in hotel management (which seems unlikely) you would fall within the new Vetassess C Group. Two years' recent, relevant experience will get you out of most holes, it would seem (if you go down to Pages 10 & 11 in the second Vetassess document above.)

What qualifications do you currently hold, please, whether relevant or not to this occupation? A degree in something, for example?

Let us say that you have a degree in English. Add to that an Orion Training AQF Cert IV and all 2 years of relevant training on the job as well. I suspect that this would probably be enough to satisfy Vetassess:

Orion Training: Hospitality

http://www.otpm.com.au/images/CourseOutlines/SIT07/SIT40307%20Cert%20IV%20in%20Hospitality.pdf

Orion do all their teaching of this type by distance learning. You would not have to go to Brisbane for the training!

However if you do not already have a degree in something then I suspect that your best bet would be to see what sort of qualifications the NVQ system would offer. NVQ4 is the equivalent of an AQF Diploma for most things.

QCDA Homepage

Where do you stand so far, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest big gus

Well, Golly, it seems you've pretty much killed our dreams of going to Australia with that post. I'm actually wondering how to break this news to my other half. From what you say, and from reading those links you are obviously right, we won't qualify (despite having family in Melbourne willing to sponsor us :o(

I don't have a degree due to joining the News of the World from school at the age of 17 as a runner before working my way up to reporting/writing. My qualifications prior to that are at GCSE level and due to being in the same profession for 15 years since then I haven't taken any other 'exams'

I have got an NVQ from my time at the newspaper but it was in administration. I also have a certificate from the Chartered Institue of Enviromental Health in Food Hygiene and Safety, achieved during our time running our (very small) hotel but its seemingly not much help.

((My fiancee has an NVQ in Hospitality Management Catering but I guess that means nothing as I'm the main applicant.)

I'm not sure where we go from here. We seem to tick all the right boxes (in terms of youth, being working professionals, having family willing to sponsor us etc) but maybe it's just not going to work.

Thanks for your time on the forum.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gus

I wouldn't give up as easily as you seem ready to do, hon. There are loads of new rules but there are loads of people who will think up ways round them as well. This is very early days with the new rules etc.

Age is on yours and your fiance's side. The cut-off age for skilled independent migration doesn't "bite" until your 45th birthday. I don't think the Aussies will revise this age downwards, so this bit seems OK.

Australia has got itself into the most appalling muddle with the skilled visa program. The present Minister of Immigration, Senator Chris Evans, is already on his third method (the third in a year) of trying to sort the mess out. God knows whether his new methods will work - the first two did not.

I think that your best bet will prolly be the State Sponsored subclass 475. To understand why, please see this document, issued on 23rd September 2009, which represents the third rule change in about 9 months:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

It will be clear from the above document that State sponsorship will move you into Category 5 whereas relying on the rellies would put you in Category 6(ii.)

OK - which States are currently Sponsoring Hotel/Motel Managers? Please see the fast, reliable links below which take you to all of the State/Territory Govt Immi websites:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

To my certain knowledge West Australia and the Northern Territory both want Hotel and Motel Managers. The ACT (Australian Capital Territory - main town Canberra) want a few of them as well, albeit not many:

http://www.business.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/163071/SDL_QUOTA_November_2009.pdf

WA want Hotel/Motel Managers in Regional WA, which is the whole of WA apart from Perth Metro:

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media/documents/WAOIDL_24_Aug_2009.pdf

WA is so vast that it is impossible to understand the State without the map:

State Migration Centre » Living in the Regions

http://www.nt.gov.au/dbe/employment/workforce_nt/docs/nt_occupation_shortage_list.pdf

The NT also wants Hotel/Motel Managers for the regional provisional subclass 475 visa only, the same as WA. (Though Darwin counts as regional so if you were to opt to go there you could move to Darwin if you wanted to.)

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/8713/SRS_Tasmania_0709.pdf

TAS also want Hotel/Motel Managers for the sc 475 though their rules are so exacting that I'd think about the NT and WA first if it were me.

The visa is here:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)

The key to this visa is mainly the Points test at this stage:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)[/url]

The link above opens to a reliable version of the Points test.

By my calculations, you have the following points at the moment (if we ignore your qualifications for the time being.)

25 - Age (5 points will come off this when you turn 35.)

15 - Competent English (automatic since you are British?) *

40 - Diploma award Hotel/Motel Manager

10 - State sponsorship

You only need 100 points for this visa and the State will provide 10 of the points.

* If you do the IELTS test and do well in that it would give you an extra 10 points:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/475/eligibility-english.htm

International English Language | Home

If you switch the visa around so that your Aunt/Uncle sponsors you for it, the State involvement disappears but your relly is worth 25 points to this visa and living in Greater Melbourne would not change that for this particular visa.

A relly is not worth any points to the Family Sponsored sc 176 visa, so for the moment I would encourage you to think of the sc 475 visa instead because of State help and/or the relly's help if need be.

Qualifications

You would have to do an overseas eqiuvalent in Hotel/Motel Management which is at least equivalent to or higher than the AQF Diploma.

The easiest way might be to do the British NVQ4 if the NVQ system goes up to Grade 4 in this field. I don't know whether it does or not but for the sake of a call to the QCDA it should be possible to find out.

Orion were told about the Vetassess rule change when it happened. Their Diplomas are AQF Diplomas. Do they plan to introduce one in Hotel/Motel Management? If is worth phoning (e-mailing is a waste of time) to ask the Principal of Orion about this. I think she is called Susanne Maxwell or similar - Suzanne something anyway, I believe.

George Lombard is this guy:

Profile | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd.

If anyone in Australia come on stream offering the AQF Diploma that you need by distance learning, George is likely to hear about it pretty quickly.

Alan Collett is this guy:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

Alan Collett (based in Geelong, near Melbourne) and his English assistant John Sylvester based in the UK are also likely to hear of any Aussie training people who could help you out. Their offices are here:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

Alan & John are both British by birth. Alan moved to Oz about 9 years or so ago.

Ian Harrop is Australian by birth, the same as George Lombard, and is another one who is likely to hear of changes quickly:

Registered Australian Migration Agents, UK - Ian Harrop and Associates

Basically there is money in it for migration agents and Aussie training people alike if they can help you and others like you to find a suitable AQF Diploma and my bet is that it will happen sooner or later.

Therefore I would be interested in speaking with all three gentleman to let them know of your interest etc whilst you beat the QCDA up to see what sort of help they could give you.

Would it, meanwhile, be feasible for you to go back to newspaper journalism?

Journalists and Related Professionals not elsewhere classified 2534-79 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

You cannot get in on this occupation as a skilled independent migrant. However if you were to get an offer from a local or national Aussie newspaper which does the same sort of thing as the paper you were on before, youth is still on your side for a start and they could use the employer sponsored subclass 457 visa to start with:

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

After a couple of years on a 457 the employer could sponsor you for employer sponsored Permanent Residence. Really though, you need to find at least one offer and then get a migration agent hired by you or the paper to work it out from there.

I certainly don't think it will be impossible for you to migrate. Undoubtedly it will be more expensive and will take longer than it would have taken a few months ago but it is stlll not impossible now if you are prepared to take your time and to be methodical about how you set about things, I suspect.

Cheers

Gill

Why do you have to be the main applicant, if your partner qualifies with more points for age she could be the main applicant with you as de facto. You both end up with a visa whoever is the main applicant.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Guest big gus

Golly, thanks for taking so much time to explain the situation to us. You really have gone above and beyond what we expected on this forum.

RammyGirl, if it made a difference then of course my fiancee would apply instead of me. But (if I'm right) she would only qualify for 5 more points than I do which would not make any difference. If I'm wrong on this then PLEASE put me right.

Back to Golly - I think I've kind of misled you regarding the Motel manager situation. Our plan was to come over and BUY our own Guest House to run, not to find employment under somebody else.

We were wanting to sell up here and come over to buy an equivalent business. (I have already looked into the business visa but we wouldn't qualify as you are required to turn over 300,000 AUS dollars per year)

Does the fact we are looking to buy mean that your post is wasted (so sorry if so?) or does everything you say still stand?

If I understand correctly a State sponsored Visa means someone is willing to employ us. This is not the visa we would require as we would (hopefully!) be buying our own place to run. This being the case, how much of your post still stands?

If all else fails then I can look into journalism again, as you suggested. However, I had 15 years of being away from home through that job and due to having a 4-month-old son the plan was to spend more time in a job where I could be at home.

Thanks, again,

Gus

Guest Gollywobbler
Golly, thanks for taking so much time to explain the situation to us. You really have gone above and beyond what we expected on this forum.

RammyGirl, if it made a difference then of course my fiancee would apply instead of me. But (if I'm right) she would only qualify for 5 more points than I do which would not make any difference. If I'm wrong on this then PLEASE put me right.

Back to Golly - I think I've kind of misled you regarding the Motel manager situation. Our plan was to come over and BUY our own Guest House to run, not to find employment under somebody else.

We were wanting to sell up here and come over to buy an equivalent business. (I have already looked into the business visa but we wouldn't qualify as you are required to turn over 300,000 AUS dollars per year)

Does the fact we are looking to buy mean that your post is wasted (so sorry if so?) or does everything you say still stand?

Thanks, again,

Gus

Hi Gus

Since you can't qualify for a Business Skills visa, you say, your route into Oz is as skilled migrants. What you do when you get to Oz or who you work for doesn't matter as far as getting the qualifications right etc under the skilled migrant programme is concerned.

Cheers

Gill

Guest big gus

Hi again,

I see what you mean. What confused me was your suggestion that my best route forward may be the State Sponsored subclass 475.

It was my understanding that 'state sponsored' means a job offer from someone willing to employ you (?). And seeing as we weren't intending to work for someone else, I didn't know if this was still the best route?

Sorry if I'm appearing thick. This really isn't easy for a newbie.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gus

It was my understanding that 'state sponsored' means a job offer from someone willing to employ you (?).

Nope. It merely means that the State wants to back you for migration.

Cheers

Gill