rikyuu

HGV licence information please

hi,

this is my first post here and I would really apreciate any advice people can give.

I'm due to emmigrate to Perth in August and I have been training to get a HGV licence in the UK before I go to have something extra to fall back on when I get there.

I have a few questions relating to this which I have not found answers to on the forum yet;

I understand that a UK HGV licence can not be transferred to Oz without taking a restest in Oz, is this correct and does it apply to a LGV licence too?

If I don't get a UK LGV/HGV licence and decide to train and do the test in Oz, I've read that a car licence has to be held for at least 12 months. Is this an Oz car licence or would a UK car licence alse be acceptable, so that I could train for a LGV/HGV as soon as arriving in Oz?

Thanks in advance

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

Hi

I know guys here in Brisbane who havent had an Aussie licence 12mth and have done HGV training so i would imagine your UK licence is taken into consideration.

I also found this info on another website for you,, hope it helpsHGVLicence Holders

For heavy vehicle licences (classes MR and above) you must pass an oral test on specific issues relating to size and dimensions of heavy vehicles.

You must get 8 correct out of 10 to pass.

The Drive Safe book containing these questions and the rules of the road can be obtained from any Licensing Centre or Agent.

The heavy vehicle practical test is still required for HC (heavy combination), HR (heavy rigid) and MR (medium rigid) equivalents.

Heavy Vehicle Licence Classes

LR (light rigid) small vehicle with ability to seat more than 12 adults including the driver

LR (light rigid) has a GVM exceeding 4.5 t but not exceeding 8 t.

MR (medium rigid) has 2 axles and a GVM exceeding 8 t.

HR (heavy rigid) has 3 or more axles and a GVM exceeding 8 t.

HC (heavy combination) attached to: (a) a semi-trailer; or (b) a trailer that has a GVM exceeding 9 t.

MC (multi combination) is towing two or more heavy trailers.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

just to add a little more

a class 1 licence = a HC in Australia

a class 2 licence = HR in Australia

I hold an MC licence in Australia and a class 1 in the UK, when I came to the UK I had to hand in my Aust licence and all I got was a UK car licence so i had to re sit all my tests

My advice is if you don't plan on driving a truck in the UK don't bother getting your licence it's alot of money for nothing.

You'll find getting your licence in Australia harder as they teach a different way of driving, everything you have learn't you'll need to forget also most of the trucks in Aust are crash boxes.

Don't be in a rush to get your HC in Australia you won't loose much in wages driving a rigid, also learning to drive + learning your way around will cause you great stress.

The other positive is once you get your HR you can then drive busses with that same licence where in the UK you need to do another test, the only thing different is you'll need a police check b4 driving a bus.

I can't help with driving schools for Perth but if you check out this web site and maybe make a call you should be 100% in what you need to do

DECA Training

All the best

Geoffrey

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

hi,

thank you for your helpful replies so far. Looks like I'll be best having a couple more lessons in Oz and getting my HR license there as I don't plan to drive in the UK.

I did try to sit my test here in the UK, but it's been cancelled twice (at my expense), as the DSA/VOSA can't be bothered to grit the braking straight. Don't suppose there's much of a problem with ice in Perth!!

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

Guest wayniexagt

you got pm